Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rumda posted:

There's also an initial screening level of gatekeeping which would get you shoved into the discharged file if they don't think your trans enough. I have mine this afternoon...

lol I think you're going to ace that test :)

good luck anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Flayer posted:

What's surprising about it? Some Labour voters will feel a sense of ideological duty to say they support the current leader while others will be more issue based. I would only say it's surprising if the poll swung hugely towards favouring one over the other.

Surprising that Corbyn's support is still as high as it is among Labour voters as a whole, I mean.

In the aftermath of 2019 his "do you think he's doing a good job as leader" polling was in the toilet, even among Labour voters. So it's interesting that ~40% have decided that Starmer is worse even than that, or have rehabilitated Corbyn to some extent in their minds over the past year.

Bodes fairly well for the left in the event of a leadership challenge, potentially.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
People have had a year to see how Starmer actually performs in the role and by any measure, he's been less than outstanding. There'll be plenty of 2019 Labour voters who viewed him as a fresh start initially but have since become much less enthusiastic towards him.

Like people have said in this thread: there was a strong base of support for a Corbyn-style offering delivered by somebody more competent and media-palatable and if Starmer had stuck to that, I think he'd be polling a lot better. I think at this point, a lot of voters will be in a: "Well, at least Corbyn stood for something!" frame of mind.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the argument is that actually its too high, because everyone else is waiting years for an appointment so how did those 2 people jump the queue? Like in general its low and bad gut given the actual situation that number should be zero.
My assumption would be because of triage, people don't get seen in a linear order for most things. idk though.

(& the actual number should be 100% with a much smaller queue, obviously, waiting a year sounds like torture)

Rumda posted:

I have mine this afternoon...
Really hope it goes well for you comrade

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Failed Imagineer posted:

This definitely is a thing that happens, but imo bore is a short enough word that yeah it sounds toff but not Rees-Mogg level :wotwot: . Not sufficiently sesquipedalian, me does't thunk

i feel like if your threshold for "is a thing excessively fancy, old fashioned or stuck up" is "would jacob rees mogg do it" we are going to wind up with radically different lists.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Should we have got any census stuff by now? I got a flyer saying that the census was coming and that I should look out for it, but nothing since then.

I got my letter yesterday.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jiggerypokery posted:

Helping charities with this sort of thing is kind of a hobby, pm me if you like

Thanks! PM sent.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the argument is that actually its too high, because everyone else is waiting years for an appointment so how did those 2 people jump the queue? Like in general its low and bad gut given the actual situation that number should be zero.

It's Schrödinger's clinic, where they are so uncaring and incompetent they they barely get through anyone at all, but are also caring and competent enough to keep perfect records and make sure that those people who do get seen, are seen perfectly in order without exception.

Like it didn't seem remotely unbelievable to me that they would have seen people out of order, and while it isn't right, it also isn't a particularly cast iron argument against the FOI request or Necrothatcher's attempts to clarify it, since everyone is in agreement that they don't seem to particularly give a poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is with England is that the visibly upper class aren't even the true upper class, it's like Dragon Ball Z

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's Schrödinger's clinic, where they are so uncaring and incompetent they they barely get through anyone at all, but are also caring and competent enough to keep perfect records and make sure that those people who do get seen, are seen perfectly in order without exception.

Like it didn't seem remotely unbelievable to me that they would have seen people out of order, and while it isn't right, it also isn't a particularly cast iron argument against the FOI request or Necrothatcher's attempts to clarify it, since everyone is in agreement that they don't seem to particularly give a poo poo.

I can't tell if you're arguing with me but yeah I'm not arguing with you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, no, I'm not arguing with you. Just throwing in my two cents and saying that yes, I can absolutely believe that they would see people out of order, because what about their behaviour gives anyone the impression that they give a poo poo?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's hard to disagree with the numbers, but it's pretty remarkable to me that of all the places someone could choose to work as a health professional within the NHS, someone who doesn't give a poo poo about trans issues would choose to work in a GIC.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My mum was an NHS physio and whenever I complained to her about my sporting injuries she never gave a poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Keep going on this one is gets better and better.

https://twitter.com/TrollZoo/status/1369403201275969542

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Borrovan posted:

My assumption would be because of triage, people don't get seen in a linear order for most things. idk though.

Pure speculation here, but the two who jumped the queue could have been intersex.

Regardless, the FOI doesn't include enough data to interpret the figures. As a bare minimum I'd need to know how many people were on the list when the oldest case on it joined and how many people were taken off the list each year without being referred.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jedit posted:

Pure speculation here, but the two who jumped the queue could have been intersex.

You think that would get them seen faster? Honestly they'll be more likely to be given a run around because they don't fit the criteria

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Is it not just most likely that they were rich and well connected?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jedit posted:

"While we understand that the public believe that nobody is truly safe if the Metropolitan Police have begun raping and murdering white women with no criminal record, we must stress that the incident occurred when the officer in question was off duty."

Lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/10/sarah-everard-arrested-police-officer-not-on-duty-when-she-went-missing

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The thing with the NHS is it's pretty good if you are seriously ill with some somatic problem, but if you don't meet the invisible threshold and are just a bit ill, or have gender dysphoria, or a sporting injury, there is just nothing there at all. Adults with ADHD for instance wait years to get seen while they're trying to hold their lives together.

Presumably the key issue is not enough money but under a centralised system it also needs good governance and People In Charge to decide disorder X is something that needs to be taken seriously.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

It's hard to disagree with the numbers, but it's pretty remarkable to me that of all the places someone could choose to work as a health professional within the NHS, someone who doesn't give a poo poo about trans issues would choose to work in a GIC.
I can absolutely believe somebody with Glinner-brain would work there to try to prevent as many people as possible from transitioning

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jippa posted:

Keep going on this one is gets better and better.

https://twitter.com/TrollZoo/status/1369403201275969542

That's an amusing thread (legit), but there's also basically nothing surprising about it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Good luck today, Rumda!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

A comrade of mine from Netpol asked me to sign this petition about the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, you should all sign it too:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/protect-the-freedom-to-protest

(yes I know petitions are massive wastes of energy, but Netpol is a great organisation & can be trusted to actually keep pushing once it gets ignored)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

i want a dog but my partner wants a cat so my plan is to get the worst cat they've got

it can't possibly backfire when i fall in love with the worst cat

Just get both.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My GP cousin is going bonkers - apparently Grant Schapps was on tv this morning saying that £37bn on 9.1m test and trace calls was good value for money. (So £4065 per call!)
(Tell me if my decimal places have gone wonky!)

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

That sounds like the sort of thing business guru Michael Green would think

Grant Schapps is my local MP and once I had an argument with him in the street while I was eating a bacon sarnie, it was a good day

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
From what I could tell from reading into it the vast majority of the T&T money is going on testing. Everyone is focused on Trace (which is poo poo) but the billions are being poured into providing millions of COVID tests with rapid results turnaround.

Also they haven't actually spent £22bn or £37bn or anything like it, a lot of that is allocations for future spending.

But I don't know why they don't make that clearer rather than pretending that the contact tracing part is really good value at £37bn actually.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Grape posted:

People know the Greek monarchy wasn't like, actually Greek right.
Just about all those ex-Ottoman Balkan countries got seeded with western dukes and poo poo in some kind of weird early run at loving with post-colonial politics.

Like imagine that the British monarchy turned out to actually be descended from some obscure backwater Central European margaveduchy.
Like you think "British monarchy? Must be the house of Widdeleebum, house of Bollingford, house of Windsor or something" but you look and the actual dynasty name is Saxe-Coburg Gotha. Crazy stuff, hypothetically.

Yes, every royal family in Europe is German except the Spanish and Swedes who are French. But the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg went to Greece starting in 1862 so really they aren't actually German anymore than your average Bostonian is Irish because their great granny migrated. The Greeks overthrew the previous German monarch (from the Bavarian Wittelsbach house who are the Jacobite claimants to the British crown now) and the National Assembly ended up picking the son of the Danish king.

So actually they chose their German/Danish monarch for some reason. The ways of monarchists are inscrutable

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Libluini posted:

Just get both.

A terrible dog and a terrible cat sound like a fun animated series.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Every British Monarch has been of German blood for over 300 years. The Queen Mother was the first person from a British bloodline for many many generations to ascend to the top step, so much so that Prince William will be the first Monarch since that previously mentioned 300 year period who's bloodline is more British than German. The Queen is half German by bloodline and Prince Phillip has not a drop of British blood so we can thank Diana for that.

The only reason the British royal family have English sounding surnames is because they were changed during WW1 due to anti-German sentiment.

Of course bloodlines and nationality are separate things but it does make you laugh when racists love the royal family.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Jedit posted:

"While we understand that the public believe that nobody is truly safe if the Metropolitan Police have begun raping and murdering white women with no criminal record, we must stress that the incident occurred when the officer in question was off duty."

Is it relevant that he was off duty because if he were on duty the rape and murder would be legally allowable under the new bill? Or is that not yet passed?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It's really bizarre how leftists who normally decry racism and nationalism will suddenly get all blood and soil to dunk on the monarchy

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My mum was an NHS physio and whenever I complained to her about my sporting injuries she never gave a poo poo.

haha same

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kyojin posted:

Is it relevant that he was off duty because if he were on duty the rape and murder would be legally allowable under the new bill? Or is that not yet passed?

No, this is me being cynical about it being normal for the Met to murder black people while on duty.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kyojin posted:

I assume it's more of a 'if a cop is wearing the uniform they won't rape and kill you, pinky promise' type deal. 'what they do on their own time is their own business and doesn't reflect on the police force' etc. etc.

Rumda posted:

It's really bizarre how leftists who normally decry racism and nationalism will suddenly get all blood and soil to dunk on the monarchy

Yeah, especially when you can junk dunk them in their own golden toilet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I assume it's more the US standard 'it's not rape or murder if a police officer does it, especially in that order'.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rumda posted:

Laughing at the hypocrisy of nativist right wingers getting teary eyed over the British royals, a group descended from hundreds of years of cross-European aristocratic intermarriage and incest, doesn't mean you implicitly accept that any of it matters.

E: I've never understood how ethnonationalism was so easily adopted in the context of the European monarchies, when their very existence is proof that it's garbage. Kings would constantly be marrying off their daughters to political allies across the continent and marrying the daughters of said allies. Outside of a few exceptions medieval/early modern royalty married within class boundaries and never really gave a poo poo about ethnicity or preserving bloodlines (racial bloodlines that is, ofc dynastic bloodlines were very very important). How do you get to blood and soil nonsense - English are inherently different to the French at a fundamental level, for example - from hero worshipping a ruling family that's related to every other ruling family on the continent?

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 10, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flayer posted:

Every British Monarch has been of German blood for over 300 years. The Queen Mother was the first person from a British bloodline for many many generations to ascend to the top step, so much so that Prince William will be the first Monarch since that previously mentioned 300 year period who's bloodline is more British than German. The Queen is half German by bloodline and Prince Phillip has not a drop of British blood so we can thank Diana for that.

The only reason the British royal family have English sounding surnames is because they were changed during WW1 due to anti-German sentiment.

Of course bloodlines and nationality are separate things but it does make you laugh when racists love the royal family.

I get the point of this post, but British and German blood even as a conceptual thing feels super fash.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Rumda posted:

It's not really "blood and soil" because it's not like anything would be better if the royal family were of an exclusively British gene pool. The important part is noting that the monarchy's connection to the "nation" is a fiction, that they had (and have) more interests in common with the rest of the European ruling class even when they were sending people to their deaths "for King and country".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

josh04 posted:

British gene pool

please define this