Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
2-handed swords seem so clumsy to me

rapiers seem too fancy but I can really understand why they became the sword expert sword

Gimme a straight-bladed, double-edged one-hander IMO, gladius or arming sword or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Excelzior posted:

Listen -- strange women standing on beaches holding swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

loquacius posted:

rapiers seem too fancy but I can really understand why they became the sword expert sword

Gimme a straight-bladed, double-edged one-hander IMO, gladius or arming sword or something

*runs into thread panting*

ARE WE TALKING ABOUT SWORDS IN HERE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

loquacius posted:

thats why 2 handed swords are cool, because they're ridiculous.

claymores:katanas::gladius:machete

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

a two handed longsword would not be clumsy at all, quite the opposite, but a greatsword like montante or zweihander would be yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I love running sword-and-board builds in any RPG I'm playing

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

spacemang_spliff posted:

I haven't seen I-Robot but it sounds like it's similar to an anime I saw in the 90s, I think the name was Kasan Robot Hunter or something. And it's kind of the same thing. Robots have enslaved humans and kept them at like a pre-industrial level. The main robot bad guy explains at the end that robots were built to protect humans, and since humans are incapable of not killing each other and destroying the planet, the only logical way to protect humans was to keep them enslaved and technologically primitive. Otherwise humans will wipe themselves out if they don't have someone watching over them and keeping them occupied. I remember thinking, at like age 12 "poo poo, that's a really good point"

e: it was called Casshan Robot Hunter

I-Robot is worth a watch if you see it on Neflix instant view or if your DVD queue is running dry.

Isn't Casshan the precursor to Mega Man?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i always turned ragnorok into a sword because swords are awesome, and then i could get illumina

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

a two handed longsword would not be clumsy at all, quite the opposite, but a greatsword like montante or zweihander would be yeah

Isn't the point of a zweihander to just take your big gently caress off swing and hope you cleave through a knight and his horse in one go?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eggplant Squire posted:

Isn't the point of a zweihander to just take your big gently caress off swing and hope you cleave through a knight and his horse in one go?

as i recall it was to break open pike walls

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I can see the appeal in a hand-and-a-half sword too yeah

my gear buildout would be one-hander and parrying dagger I think but I'd want to keep one of those around too

In an alternate life where I never got married and smoke a bunch of weed all day I own all of these weapons and don't use them apart from going star-wars-kid in my backyard with them while stoned

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i always turned ragnorok into a sword because swords are awesome, and then i could get illumina

I had a weird glitch one time where I got a bunch of pallet swapped characters and a bunch of items including like a 100 Illuminas

I should never have sold all my games to buy more games but I was a dumb kid who sucked

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

i would simply use the zweihander's r2 to pancake my foes

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Eggplant Squire posted:

nah, you'd ahve to be a superhero to pull that off. they were used by bodyguards, and integrated into pike blocks. having a couple guys with big rear end swords swinging them around makes it very dangerous to get close to an important person, long enough for help to show up. A bunch of the manuals emphasize using large sweeping cuts that keep the momentum of the blade in order to keep other people sway from you. They were essentially polearms in that the only people using them were guards and soldiers.

Cerebral Bore posted:

as i recall it was to break open pike walls

we honestly don't entirely know. we know they were integrated into the formations, and we know there were LOTS of them at certain times and battles, but most of the contemporary accounts don't go into detail, since its the kind of thing the writer just assumed the reader would know. We know its very hard to like, lop the head off a pike, but we do know that they might have been used like you said, or maybe were selectively used as shock troops, or as defensive soldiers to keep your own pikeman's flanks safe. they seem to sometimes be interchangeable with halberdiers or other polearm armed soldiers of the period.

WoodrowSkillson has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Mar 10, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I had a weird glitch one time where I got a bunch of pallet swapped characters and a bunch of items including like a 100 Illuminas

I should never have sold all my games to buy more games but I was a dumb kid who sucked
lol i sold my snes and games in like 2001 to pay a speeding ticket

sold my dreamcast a couple years later to help pay a doctor's bill

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

lol i sold my snes and games in like 2001 to pay a speeding ticket

sold my dreamcast a couple years later to help pay a doctor's bill

:d2a:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I sold it all to buy a SEGA CD lmao

although I did play Lunar and Popful Mail and also Sonic CD

I could never find Lunar II though :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, Sonic CD owned

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Take my advice, get a raspberry pi and run emulationstation, or get some kind of Android TV device like an nvidia shield and run android emulator apps, then download a giant ZIP of every game ever made for your retro console of choice. cheapest way to have old games available for you, although there's always gonna be some input lag

Swords and retro gaming in the succzone today

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

nah, you'd ahve to be a superhero to pull that off. they were used by bodyguards, and integrated into pike blocks. having a couple guys with big rear end swords swinging them around makes it very dangerous to get close to an important person, long enough for help to show up. A bunch of the manuals emphasize using large sweeping cuts that keep the momentum of the blade in order to keep other people sway from you. They were essentially polearms in that the only people using them were guards and soldiers.

we honestly don't entirely know. we know they were integrated into the formations, and we know there were LOTS of them at certain times and battles, but most of the contemporary accounts don't go into detail, since its the kind of thing the writer just assumed the reader would know. We know its very hard to like, lop the head off a pike, but we do know that they might have been used like you said, or maybe were selectively used as shock troops, or as defensive soldiers to keep your own pikeman's flanks safe. they seem to sometimes be interchangeable with halberdiers or other polearm armed soldiers of the period.

That's pretty cool.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

loquacius posted:

its hard to beat a chaos twohander and grass crest shield

World War Mammories posted:

i would simply use the zweihander's r2 to pancake my foes

yep

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1369386260964532225

really makes you feel like you're part of history

Watch us start painting drones pink to raise awareness for breast cancer

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oh Snapple! posted:

TIL that forums randos are to be treated as more knowledgeable than the loving ACLU legal team lol

D&D destroys your morals and is moderated by only the most dog brained morons. It owns. Cant talk about Cuomos murder camps for grampies or the myriad of sexual assaults in the thread, you can talk about how the only 'scandals' going on right now is just people being mean about Bidens dog.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

D&D destroys your morals and is moderated by only the most dog brained morons. It owns. Cant talk about Cuomos murder camps for grampies or the myriad of sexual assaults in the thread, you can talk about how the only 'scandals' going on right now is just people being mean about Bidens dog.

also the various failed lawyers that infest the thread that know more than the aclu’s legal team

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

also the various failed lawyers that infest the thread that know more than the aclu’s legal team

I happen to know that a notorious DnD elitist scold happened to also fail the bar exam

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

quote:

listen poo poo-for-brains :words: you loving moron :words: Only a complete idiot could believe :words:

Hey this is pretty uncivil

( User was put on probation for this post )

Probation reason : Did not list 3 seperate sources for this claim

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In fact now that I check, one of the people pretending to know better than the ACLU legal team in fact failed the bar exam

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Hey this is pretty uncivil

( User was put on probation for this post )

Probation reason : Did not list 3 seperate sources for this claim

prob reason: was correct, but felt any kind of emotion whatsoever while arguing thus making them wrong

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
this PRO Act bullshit is definitely failing in the senate right?

freelancers are freakin the gently caress out

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stevie Lee posted:

lol

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1369386260964532225

really makes you feel like you're part of history

Shrieking in an increasingly high pitch until every bit of glass in the surrounding blocks shatters, allow me to lol and go home full of glass

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Eggplant Squire posted:

Brooklyn dad twitter guy technically got paid by the political class to write Biden erotic fanfiction.

gallons of frothy spunk

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some people are pointing to actual clauses in the loving law and talking about the immigration system and its failings in great detail. And then there's you, screaming into the void about how D&D are full of dummies who actually know what they're talking about instead of blindly trusting a tweet with no critical discussion.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1369403905956847618

you don't have to yell tim :xd:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Some people are pointing to actual clauses in the loving law and talking about the immigration system and its failings in great detail. And then there's you, screaming into the void about how D&D are full of dummies who actually know what they're talking about instead of blindly trusting a tweet with no critical discussion.

:haw:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Organ Fiend posted:

The primary antagonist of the movie is a massive AI that controls the systems of the robot making company. It has the capability to assume control over all of the robots produced by the facility (except for the protagonist robot, of course). The AI (correctly, IMO) decides that in order to fulfill the first law (do not harm or by inaction allow harm to a human), it must conquer humanity because of how badly human governments treat their people. it must do this because it has the capability (control over all of the robots produced in its facility), so to not do something would be inaction prevented by the first law. Sure, some humans may be harmed in the process, but if the AI thinks about humanity in the collective, it has no choice.

Tell me the AI was wrong.

its been years since I read read them but iirc this is more or less where Asimov himself took the robots in the later Foundation books, with the robot on the moon secretly guiding human history according to the "zeroth law" of "do no harm to humanity." he didn't want to enslave humanity tho just kinda sit in the background and be robogod.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Stevie Lee posted:

quote:

The exception to this is coming from a small but vocal community of freelance writers who have taken to Twitter and other social media platforms to signal their opposition to the bill’s inclusion of the so-called “ABC Test.” The test, which contrary to popular belief has appeared in numerous state laws long before California’s Dynamex/Prop 22 episode, states that a worker is presumed to be an employee unless the employer can show that all three of the following conditions are satisfied:

The worker is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work;

The worker performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business; and

The worker is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as that involved in the work performed.

As freelancers like Erik Sherman and Bonnie Kristian have argued, Prong B of the test is what causes concern to some in their profession. There is little to no difference in the type of work performed by writers who are independent contractors for a website and those who are employees of that website, so the fear (as I interpret it) is that the test would obliterate any employment-status distinction between the two.

However, the rest of these articles demonstrate a deep misunderstanding of labor law, invoking themes of forced unionization and ruined careers. These predictions are unfounded. The ABC Test, if passed as part of the PRO Act, would only affect the analysis of employee vs. independent contractors status for the purposes of the NLRA. Put simply, the relevant question is whether certain workers possess rights under Section 7 of the NLRA, which guarantees employees (and employees only) the right to strike, collectively bargain, and engage in various other “concerted activities” for “mutual aid or protection.” Those deemed independent contractors under the NLRA have no such rights, and indeed would likely be engaged in price-fixing under antitrust law if attempting such tactics.
https://brandonmagner.substack.com/p/no-the-pro-act-wouldnt-kill-freelancing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Stevie Lee posted:

it's DOA unless the democrats decide the filibuster is bad (they won't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Isaac Asimov was notorious - even in his day! - for sexually assaulting women. Even the sci-fi fan periodicals put out warnings about the guy.