Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mmm I'm thinkin'.... Trials of Mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The remake, in case that was not clear.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had a really good time playing the Secret of Mana remake co-op with my wife, me having played the original when I was a teen and her experiencing it for the first time, and am legit IRL buttmad that the Trials of Mana remake doesn't have couch co-op at all. Why not???

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

"these games are not as bad as the worst games ever" is the most ringing endorsement i've heard today

Is Labrynth of Refrain worse than Witch and Hundred Knight? :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trials of mana completely reworks the combat system and camera perspective so having co-op would require a split screen system that i guess they didn't want to bother testing to make sure it works across the entire game with how visibly low budget the project was

Acerbatus posted:

Is Labrynth of Refrain worse than Witch and Hundred Knight? :v:

it's the same team and shares lots of the same issues with its writing, maybe weirder because it tries to touch on serious things a lot but still makes really bad jokes in the middle of it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

co-op doesn't work in the remake because I already want to murder the ai every time it pauses a hurt box on me or dodges it towards me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People love to constantly say how complicated the Kingdom Hearts story is. Anyone have another series they can think of that's notoriously hard to follow?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

People love to constantly say how complicated the Kingdom Hearts story is. Anyone have another series they can think of that's notoriously hard to follow?

Kirby if you're actually trying to engage with its lore

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Xenosaga, even though it tries to take the time to explain itself, it's still confusing as hell.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

the Impact series and Dungeon Fighter Online

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Colonel posted:

if you're at the point where you're scrounging through kemco games you'd probably find better stuff digging through weird playism rpgmaker games. those are the same price and they're probably more interesting

This individual is correct.

Unfortunately, there comes a day when you have exhausted even the RPGMaker catalog, unless there is something I have missed.

Also, play Demon King Chronicle, with these:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1div687Fbk2wVCtfXYxEv6lt_BK7Fu1WY

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 10, 2021

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It sounds like you want something but don't actually want the games that provide it.

I like Bravely Default 2. It being repetitive is a legitimate criticism.

As for DQ11, I think it's fine to not want to be bombarded by the sounds of a bull loose in brass shop while people frantically try to scare it away with trumpets.

Those aren't my only options, it seems.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
You should play Omori.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

RE DQ11, I think good music is a fantastic thing to have in a game, but bad or repetitive music shouldn't really keep you from enjoying an otherwise good game because you can just mute it and put on your own music collection if it really bothers you. I did that every night during my MMO phase, and I was doing it for DQ11 by about a quarter of the way through.

DQ11's endgame is one of the best ones I've experienced btw, in ways that I can't even really hint at or it'd be a spoiler

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The option to replace DQXI's overworld music with the excellent overworld theme from DQVIII is unironically one of the best improvements in XI S.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Some tracks from DQXI are decent, but that main overworld track just sucks and is everywhere. You don't hit any fields that switch it up until like 1/3 of the way into the game.

But yeah DQXI is great so if that's what's stopping you just mute the music.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Harrow posted:

The option to replace DQXI's overworld music with the excellent overworld theme from DQVIII is unironically one of the best improvements in XI S.

goddamn I wish I'd had that option, the DQ8 overworld theme was awesome

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dragon Quest's predilection for retro old-school-style MIDI soundtracks is the kind of thing that seems like a good idea before you have to actually play a game that does it

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Harrow posted:

...what? I've been able to switch the theme this entire time?

:ughh:

Guess I'm going to give DQ11 another shot with better music.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Devorum posted:

...what? I've been able to switch the theme this entire time?

:ughh:

Guess I'm going to give DQ11 another shot with better music.

Yep, it's in the options menu! The DQ8 overworld theme is perfect and it's amazing how much better it makes the game all on its own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Xenosaga, even though it tries to take the time to explain itself, it's still confusing as hell.

The slow dawning realization as I progressed through Ep. 2 that the writing couldn't hit anything they teed up was one of the biggest disappointments to my 19-year old Nietzsche reading self.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Episode III is a remarkable game for being able to mostly satisfactorily wrap up the various character arcs and plots.

Saga vs. Gears is interesting for me because Gears absolutely wraps up its main plot better than Saga. Everything falls into place and you feel that satisfaction of understanding the how and why of it all. But at the same time XG gives no fucks about its party members beyond Fei, Elly and maybe Bart or Citan. Xenosaga meanwhile gives every party member a really awesome climax in the final game.

But yeah, if you wanna understand the actual story of Xenosaga, you gotta read a lot of supplementary material.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What if they'd gotten to do the full six episodes? How wild would it have gotten?

what could have been.....

exquisite tea posted:

The slow dawning realization as I progressed through Ep. 2 that the writing couldn't hit anything they teed up was one of the biggest disappointments to my 19-year old Nietzsche reading self.

Xenosaga was such a weird series and wrote so many checks it couldn't cash but drat if I didn't eat that poo poo up anyway. They probably hit at just the right time for me, as a wanna-be smart guy late teenager. Episode 3 came out when I was 20 I think.

It became very clear it was never gonna pay off all of the things it was setting up in any sort of satisfying way but I still just shoveled it all into my brain :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's hard to say because released 1+2 are actually just the planned episode 1 and released 3 is like 2-4 compressed iirc.

Like the whole Old Miltia section was going to be the majority of a game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Xenosaga 1 and 3 have some really kickass soundtracks

Then they did this weird thing with 2 where they got Yuki Kajiura to compose some fantastic music for the cutscenes but didn't hire her to make music for any gameplay stuff, so the game has awesome cutscene music and just utterly lifeless tracks for the gameplay. I was really happy that they hired Kajiura to do the whole soundtrack for Episode 3.

I'm also now remembering that Episode 1 didn't actually have a boss theme, either, which I thought was oddly charming. Every battle except the final boss had the same track

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The coolest part about XS episode 1 was how every single enemy attack was positioned in exactly such a way that when Sion ducked as part of her evasion animation, the attack would actually appear to miss her.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Was there ever a rerelease of Xenosaga? Or is it basically just emulate or ebay these days?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not only is there no re-release, Harada personally said no to one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
harada didn't personally reject any remakes, he said that he'd like one but bandai namco's higher-up stuff doesn't think it would be profitable

why they thought a remaster of mr. driller drill land they gave virtually zero advertising would be profitable instead, is a mystery for another day

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
A dozen-odd pages ago there was discussion about Namco's Tales series and their real-time combat, and I was reminded of their weird bastard cousin Star Ocean.

I have very fond memories of Second Story for the PS1, thought my main point of comparison is FF8. I did still enjoy both Second Evolution on PSP and First Departure R on the Switch, but playing 3 in HD has served mainly to remind me how weird and janky 3 is even before the super-dumb 11th-hour reveal. From my limited exposure, 4 and 5 just seem like they're trying to justify their own existence in the wake of 3's ending.

I remember hearing that Second Evolution got a PS4 glow-up featuring remade portraits and the original PS1 voice cast like First Departure R. Any hope of a Switch release? I think the PS4/Vita port got localized for mainland Asia and then just stopped. Still made it farther than Eternal Punishment PSP!

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
DQ11 has a sick fully orchestrated soundtrack that is easy as hell to mod into the game on pc. The midis are horrible - usually with midis from games there is some love put into the arrangement process but DQXI literally sounds like they scanned sheet music in to Finale or sonething and just went with how it sounded without ever going past an editor

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Was there ever a rerelease of Xenosaga? Or is it basically just emulate or ebay these days?

Emulate. Episode 1 is cheap because it got lots of copies due to being a Greatest Hits but Episode 3 is insanely expensive, around $100 or more.

I feel very bad I left my copy behind when moving.

The fact they never even put the games on PSN is what pisses me off. Digital Devil Saga, a spinoff of a third tier JRPG franchise, is on there but not Xenosaga which absolutely sold better and is more well known.

Namco is just incompetent. It's like how Tekken 3 is apparently the best selling fighting game ever or something but I guess because of Gon they can't put it on anything, or so last I heard. Same reason all the Soul Calibur games are trapped on dead consoles.

Harrow posted:

Also Xenosaga 1 and 3 have some really kickass soundtracks

Then they did this weird thing with 2 where they got Yuki Kajiura to compose some fantastic music for the cutscenes but didn't hire her to make music for any gameplay stuff, so the game has awesome cutscene music and just utterly lifeless tracks for the gameplay. I was really happy that they hired Kajiura to do the whole soundtrack for Episode 3.

I'm also now remembering that Episode 1 didn't actually have a boss theme, either, which I thought was oddly charming. Every battle except the final boss had the same track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfS1nWtqZwU

Xenosaga Episode 1 was one of my first JRPGs ever and I'll always love it to death.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Namco is just incompetent. It's like how Tekken 3 is apparently the best selling fighting game ever or something but I guess because of Gon they can't put it on anything, or so last I heard. Same reason all the Soul Calibur games are trapped on dead consoles.

It's on the PS1 Classic

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't think xenosaga is better known than shin megami tensei at this point but heck what do i know, i'm over here playing sonic chronicles: the dark brotherhood

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I played the Japanese version of DQXI on release so had the orchestral soundtrack. A lot of the soundtrack just lingers on repetitive elements or has these strange repeating warble sections.

There are some tracks I like, but it's probably my least favorite DQ soundtrack overall.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

There are some tracks I like, but it's probably my least favorite DQ soundtrack overall.

One thing I noticed when I played DQXI is that almost every track I actually liked came from an earlier DQ game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love DQ and it sucks that the composer is a weirdo war crimes denying Japanese nationalist

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The fact they never even put the games on PSN is what pisses me off. Digital Devil Saga, a spinoff of a third tier JRPG franchise, is on there but not Xenosaga which absolutely sold better and is more well known.

SMT is one of the big three jrpg franchises lol. third tier only in the sense that final fantasy and DQ are on tiers of their own

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looper posted:

i don't think xenosaga is better known than shin megami tensei at this point but heck what do i know, i'm over here playing sonic chronicles: the dark brotherhood

I know this was only 10 minutes ago but I want to draw more attention to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah what the hell SMT is way more popular and well known both in Japan and the West than Xenosaga lol