Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bashir is great what the hell is wrong with you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
^ agreed

knox posted:

I mean, how we really going to expect Quark to be a model of women's rights as a Ferengi whose society is essentially Saudi arabia when it comes to women except they're naked instead of fully covered. And they make it a point to have his mother work to fundamentally change that, and Quark goes temporary trans for the cause.

I have beef with bizzaro Bashir punching the poo poo out of Ezri though.

Is anything from the 90s going to 'age well' or hold up to today's standards, that isn't some niche thing? Star Trek being this huge franchise, it's going to subject to the times to 'appeal' to everyone ina way even more than most things. Doesn't mean certain poo poo isn't problematic but I think it has to be viewed from that standpoint.

Generally I get what you're saying, but Profit and Lace is probably worse than you remember. I'm not super offended by the gender humor of it, it's not that much worse than any other "men are from Mars, women are fun Venus" observational humor. But they really go out of their way to give it as many uncomfortable implications as possible, especially the aforementioned thing where Quark pressures a female employee to give him sexual favors, then almost learns his lesson, and then doesn't have to because she's into it.

In a way it sort of comes around to being so obviously bad that it doesn't need to be "cancelled" or whatever. It's self-canceling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nah, Bashir is every single obnoxious white dude in the medical/science field rolled into one. He sucks a huge holosuite turd.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Nah, Bashir is every single obnoxious white dude in the medical/science field rolled into one. He sucks a huge holosuite turd.

... rolled into an non-white anglo-arab guy.

And his personal failings are why he's a good character. DS9 was the only series where characters had genuine flaws and shortcomings that werent just 'is he too committed to his job??', if they were bland avatars of professional goodness you'd have ripped the heart out of the show.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Like I don’t think they meant offense against Trans people but it just does not hold up in modern viewing. I think they were going for the old comedy trope of ‘man dresses as woman to fool someone’ but with the unfortunate part where because it’s the future they can actually transform someone into another sex.
It's definitely aged probably worse than anything else in DS9 (and it was a cringeworthy episode even at the time), but despite that it is not even a millionth as awful as 'Turnabout Intruder'. The entire theme of " :females: are fundamentally unsuited to leadership, and are ruled by emotion to the point of insanity, dear god imagine how horrible it would be to be trapped in the body of a woman" is so unbelievably lovely I realised it even as a kid.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

multijoe posted:

Bashir is great what the hell is wrong with you guys
Also Dax is the weakest character

She doesn’t really do anything until Worf shows up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like that episode where she goes on a murder spree with some Klingons. But the episode where she meets her former hosts, was really bad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Star Trek holds up better then some stuff, I tried rewatching Friends recently and 95% of the jokes are "you're gay eww no you're the gay ewww!"

I suspect you may have watched some other show while under the impression that it was Friends.

I never understood the Ferengi naked females thing. There is titanic profit to be had from the fashion industry that you could have imposed on half of your society.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I said come in! posted:

I like that episode where she goes on a murder spree with some Klingons. But the episode where she meets her former hosts, was really bad.
It has a nice scene of Sisko really chewing the scenery

And yes Blood Oath is like the one good early Dax episode

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sash! posted:

I suspect you may have watched some other show while under the impression that it was Friends.

I never understood the Ferengi naked females thing. There is titanic profit to be had from the fashion industry that you could have imposed on half of your society.

I suggest you go back and watch it before insulting people, I'm not the first person to notice this afterwards I looked it up and there's quite a bit written about Friends being homophobic.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sash! posted:

The episode Little Green Men should have been about Quark learning about this in 20th century earth, and taking the knowledge back with him.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It probably happens elsewhere in the series, but I noticed in Take Me Out to the Holosuite that Quark is fully capable of pronouncing "humans" correctly, which means all those other times he was saying "hu-mons" just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

A lot of Jadzia Dax focused episodes seemed to have very little to do with Dax herself. Like, there's the one early on where her symbiote is forcibly removed, so the actor is just a set-piece (also, how did Quark not get kicked off the station for that one? He literally allows the station to be taken over and nearly causes the death of Jadzia). Or the one that had Dax accused of murder, and basically does nothing all episode while Sisko/Odo do the detective work.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I am just about done with the first season of ds9 and Bashir is easily my least favorite character with Dax a distant second.

Kira and Quark are my favorites

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

a neat cape posted:

I am just about done with the first season of ds9 and Bashir is easily my least favorite character with Dax a distant second.

Kira and Quark are my favorites

Bashir gets tolerable, and Dax gets way better late in the series (no, not THAT late in the series).

Wait until you get more time with some of the supporting characters. I like several of them even better than the main cast.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I was predisposed to hate the Ferengi after going through TNG but goddamn Quark rules

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gully Foyle posted:

A lot of Jadzia Dax focused episodes seemed to have very little to do with Dax herself. Like, there's the one early on where her symbiote is forcibly removed, so the actor is just a set-piece (also, how did Quark not get kicked off the station for that one? He literally allows the station to be taken over and nearly causes the death of Jadzia). Or the one that had Dax accused of murder, and basically does nothing all episode while Sisko/Odo do the detective work.

He had no idea they were going to try and take over the station, he thought he was just selling some crystals to a dude

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sash! posted:

That's actually one of the arguments made by the characters within the show.

Though I think it actually might've been in "Profit and Lace" now that I think about it, so that's a good reason for it to be stricken from all memory

In any event it would hardly be the first time a capitalist society resisted something that would actually be in its own best interest...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sash! posted:

This was literally the argument made by The Grand Nagus for why Ferengi females should be able to participate in the economy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Payndz posted:

It's definitely aged probably worse than anything else in DS9 (and it was a cringeworthy episode even at the time), but despite that it is not even a millionth as awful as 'Turnabout Intruder'. The entire theme of " :females: are fundamentally unsuited to leadership, and are ruled by emotion to the point of insanity, dear god imagine how horrible it would be to be trapped in the body of a woman" is so unbelievably lovely I realised it even as a kid.

I just watched a TNG ep called 'The Schizoid Man' which 1) wow that's a title and 2) the lecherous old fucker in the episode says to Deanna 'Women aren't people! They're women!' I mean we're not supposed to like that guy but the fact Deanna doesn't tell him to gently caress off makes me kinda sad.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

I suggest you go back and watch it before insulting people, I'm not the first person to notice this afterwards I looked it up and there's quite a bit written about Friends being homophobic.

Yeah like 5 percent. Not the freaking core of the show

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HopperUK posted:

I just watched a TNG ep called 'The Schizoid Man' which 1) wow that's a title

It’s named for an episode of The Prisoner which has a somewhat similar plot, though not so similar that TNG’s reuse of the title really makes sense.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sash! posted:

Yeah like 5 percent. Not the freaking core of the show

Someone upthread said all MASH's humour is about rape/sexual assault and that's not true either. Though it's more of it than I'd like, and I am very fond of MASH as a show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

socialsecurity posted:

The number of 90s sitcoms that aren’t homophobic has to be pretty low

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I would like to point out that Sledge Hammer has aged perfectly with no problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0mqIXr7sh0

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In the 90s, tolerance in media was characters being fine that someone was gay but otherwise breaking into gay panic if it was ever insinuated that someone straight was gay.

So, it was progress that gay characters were starting to get representation, but still handled in a childish and hurtful way that perpetuated stereotypes and set behavior patterns for a generation.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gully Foyle posted:

A lot of Jadzia Dax focused episodes seemed to have very little to do with Dax herself. Like, there's the one early on where her symbiote is forcibly removed, so the actor is just a set-piece (also, how did Quark not get kicked off the station for that one? He literally allows the station to be taken over and nearly causes the death of Jadzia). Or the one that ehad Dax accused of murder, and basically does nothing all episode while Sisko/Odo do the detective work.

What’s worse is that so many Dax episodes are about Dax the symbiont, rather than Jadzia the host. We learnt more about Ezri in one season than we did with Jadzia in six!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I do like Frakes for pushing for the agender species character in The Outcast to be male-identifying and not female, given that really undercuts any value the episode had as an LGBT metaphor

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I was predisposed to hate the Ferengi after going through TNG but goddamn Quark rules

The Ferengi in TNG are just so terribly executed. They're cartoon villains, and not even competent either. Add to that their excessive gestures and jumping around, and they just feel more like a joke than a threat. Compare them to the romulans, who are actually competent and have agendas and they fall completely flat.

DS9, spearheaded by Quark, establishes the Ferengi as a much more nuanced race of capitalists, who work for themselves and not the unified government that TNG implies, which makes a lot more sense. And Quark specifically has a decently deep character, and that carries over to the others, including the nagus who shapes the entire culture. DS9 salvaged a failed race basically.

Also I made it through TNG, which I started in January. It's good, but I definitely agree on S7 being the season of unmentioned family. And I'm choosing to believe that the future in All Good Things is not canon, mostly because of the loving warp speeds that were just completely unnecessary.

I haven't watched Picard, so I don't know if I can ignore Beverly Picard yet. But if possible I will. That also shows it's age: Beverly has her own career and status and life, why the gently caress is she taking her husband's name? I get that she wasn't born Crusher, but most of her adult life she has used that name.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

multijoe posted:

I do like Frakes

knox
Oct 28, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is facts- I disliked Jadzia the most up until Worf stuff that I wasn't crazy about to begin with, and even before that they stopped doing solo Jadzia stuff anyways. I thought the actress was pretty limited, albeit the best looking major character in Trek from what I've seen (TNG + DS9, maybe Seven is hotter though.) Same applies to Ezri, who I found more annoying but she's slowly getting better I guess.

Season 7 is definitely too much Ezri as they try to jam her down your throat to catch up for new character. Should have been more Garak poo poo, I just finished the Ezri-Joran episode of S7.

Also lmfao

knox fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 10, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I rate dax 2/5 boners

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

knox posted:

I thought the actress was pretty limited, albeit the best looking major character in Trek from what I've seen (TNG + DS9, maybe Seven is hotter though.)

Did you just not see Frakes? I mean, after he grew the beard obviously.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Best looking woman*, obviously when it comes to Riker we all Lwaxana.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Gene's Vision still perseveres.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Horny for Morn.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I am invoking Janeway's Law, everybody stuff your giblets back into your space PJs and cool off.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Remember when Q was trying to tempt Riker into becoming a Q and he creates those woman, who's entire life consisted of rubbing Will's chest for about 10 seconds before being obliterated into nothingness.

Maybe Q went back in time five minutes to go to Risa and say to a couple of women, "Can you come rub this guy's chest and act all sexy for a few? I'll resurrect your favourite childhood pet if you do," and then just teleported them in and out for the bit rather than going to the trouble of creating fully complete women.

Or maybe they're holograms. Q could make a holo-character outside of a holodeck.

Maybe Q just created a few extra bodies of himself and shapeshifted them to look like women. Every Q body we see is just a projection of this god-like extradimensional being anyway.

Even with unlimited power, there's lots of ways Q could actually perform his various tricks.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Isn't Janeway's Law: Stop being attracted to anyone, and then yelling at random bums for being inconsiderate to you, before genociding a race?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Axe-man posted:

Isn't Janeway's Law: Stop being attracted to anyone, and then yelling at random bums for being inconsiderate to you, before genociding a race?