Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Memento posted:

Considering that the crime problems in the UK in the late 80s to early 90s were basically 1:1 traceable to the austerity measures introduced by Margaret May-She-Burn-Forever Thatcher, banning the word "ninja" and saying people can't nail two piece of wood to a length of chain isn't going to to a drat thing.

The point isn't to reduce violent crime, it's to blame the crime that's already there on the poors and to arrest undesirables for owning cutlery or hand tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Waci posted:

The point isn't to reduce violent crime, it's to blame the crime that's already there on the poors and to arrest undesirables for owning cutlery or hand tools.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I never understood the panic about nunchuks, like, what is it about sticking a chain on some wood that makes it SUCH a more dangerous weapon than a knife or a sword

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

The weapons were replaced with a grappling hook called the "Turtle Line" that served as Mikey's signature weapon for the rest of the show's run.

Personally I'd much rather be numchucked than be grapnelled

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Indecisive posted:

I never understood the panic about nunchuks, like, what is it about sticking a chain on some wood that makes it SUCH a more dangerous weapon than a knife or a sword

I think there's an element of xenophobia to it.

"This foreign weapon will make our children violent, not like the swords we pretended to wield in our youth."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Indecisive posted:

Foreigners use them

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Indecisive posted:

Harder to control/easier to hurt yourself with? I mean, children are pretty dumb but they mostly learn pretty quickly how to use knives and not to grab a sword at the sharp end. The point of a nunchuk is to swing it around, and it takes a bit of practice to do that without knocking yourself out.

Anway, I would like to see the UK censors trying that stunt with NinjaGO.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Grendels Dad posted:

Harder to control/easier to hurt yourself with? I mean, children are pretty dumb but they mostly learn pretty quickly how to use knives and not to grab a sword at the sharp end. The point of a nunchuk is to swing it around, and it takes a bit of practice to do that without knocking yourself out.

It's this,

Inceltown posted:

Foreigners use them

But moreso this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was localized to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles in the UK.

Which fits well with the law banning curved foreign swords.

Curved british swords are OK, but curved foreign swords are illegal.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Bloop posted:

He's not THAT fast but also the villain shoots hero-seeking kill beams from his eyes at will and is basically as strong as superman

(Only batman has dodged an omega beam, because he's motherfucking batman)

If it's a hero-seeking beam, and batman managed to dodge it, then batman must not be a hero.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Indecisive posted:

Much more dangerous for the balls.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
That’s why the Brits were so concerned, tea is stored in the balls

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Thaddius the Large posted:

That’s why the Brits were so concerned, tea is stored in the balls

Is this what they mean when they call you a low tea beta cuck

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Heath posted:

Is this what they mean when they call you a low tea beta cuck

No the tea is actually stored in balls

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grendels Dad posted:

, children are pretty dumb but they mostly learn pretty quickly how to use knives and not to grab a sword at the sharp end.

These children should read their 15th century sword fighting manuals better and learn about half-swording also known as "The Murder Strike".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phosphine posted:

Yeah, same as any successful pyramid scheme, enough people who get in early are actually rich, which lends credibility. An advantage bitcoin has over traditional pyramid schemes is actually the instability, as that gives, ostensibly, a bigger chance of winning even if you get in later

Also some of the people who were rich might have their harddisks crash and lose everything, meaning you have a chance to take their place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There is a helpful list of things that people in 1988 in the UK were terrified of enough to make a law about it specifically:

quote:

1. Section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (offensive weapons) shall apply to the following descriptions of weapons, other than weapons of those descriptions which are antiques for the purposes of this Schedule:

(a)a knuckleduster, that is, a band of metal or other hard material worn on one or more fingers, and designed to cause injury, and any weapon incorporating a knuckleduster;

(b)a swordstick, that is, a hollow walking-stick or cane containing a blade which may be used as a sword;

(c)the weapon sometimes known as a “handclaw”, being a band of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn around the hand;

(d)the weapon sometimes known as a “belt buckle knife”, being a buckle which incorporates or conceals a knife;

(e)the weapon sometimes known as a “push dagger”, being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;

(f)the weapon sometimes known as a “hollow kubotan”, being a cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes;

(g)the weapon sometimes known as a “footclaw”, being a bar of metal or other hard material from which a number of sharp spikes protrude, and worn strapped to the foot;

(h)the weapon sometimes known as a “shuriken”, “shaken” or “death star”, being a hard non-flexible plate having three or more sharp radiating points and designed to be thrown;

(i)the weapon sometimes known as a “balisong” or “butterfly knife”, being a blade enclosed by its handle, which is designed to split down the middle, without the operation of a spring or other mechanical means, to reveal the blade;

(j)the weapon sometimes known as a “telescopic truncheon”, being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;

(k)the weapon sometimes known as a “blowpipe” or “blow gun”, being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;

(l)the weapon sometimes known as a “kusari gama”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle;

(m)the weapon sometimes known as a “kyoketsu shoge”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife;

(n)the weapon sometimes known as a “manrikigusari” or “kusari”, being a length of rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip;

2. For the purposes of this Schedule, a weapon is an antique if it was manufactured more than 100 years before the date of any offence alleged to have been committed in respect of that weapon under subsection (1) of the said section 141 or section 50(2) or (3) of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979(2)(improper importation).

Glad they stopped all them blowgun murders.

Also I might have got it wrong and it is apparently all curved swords over 50cm in length that were banned in 2008 except ones made in japan before 1960 (or others that are considered "antiques")

Also presumably if you're a UK based ninja you're allowed kunai but no shuriken.

Also you're not allowed to build the death star.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Mar 11, 2021

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

There is a helpful list of things that people in 1988 in the UK were terrified of enough to make a law about it specifically:

(j)the weapon sometimes known as a “telescopic truncheon”, being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
So if you had a telescopic truncheon that you shook out to extend it would it be legal to have it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably as the law is written unless they amended it later.

But I'm fairly sure the cops can prosecute you for carrying anything they might argue could be carried with the intent to commit a crime anyway, the offensive weapons thing just makes it easier, in a similar manner that "posessing information that could be of use to a terrorist" is a terror offence, which arguably includes the bus timetable.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kRxQ-EvXDw

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fishing license is a real thing

E: TV license also real and includes all live broadcast media. I'm not allowed to watch livestreams without a TV license.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Mar 11, 2021

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

'Allo 'allo, I hope you've got a license for that island/continent/subcontinent

What's that? No license? Well well well

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably as the law is written unless they amended it later.

But I'm fairly sure the cops can prosecute you for carrying anything they might argue could be carried with the intent to commit a crime anyway, the offensive weapons thing just makes it easier, in a similar manner that "posessing information that could be of use to a terrorist" is a terror offence, which arguably includes the bus timetable.

The way our laws work some weapons are illegal to possess, period (stuff like knuckledusters), some are legal to possess but not to carry around (like a full-sized broadsword), and some are legal to possess and carrying them around is a grey area entirely dependant on when and where you're carrying them (like a filleting knife).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

OwlFancier posted:

TV license also real and includes all live broadcast media. I'm not allowed to watch livestreams without a TV license.

Being blind only gets you a 50% discount

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OwlFancier posted:

fishing license is a real thing

E: TV license also real and includes all live broadcast media. I'm not allowed to watch livestreams without a TV license.

Fishing license is just to raise funds to help protect fish stocks/habitat though, and is a pretty small amount of money.

TV license is bullshit though, won't find me disagreeing there. I don't have a TV and enjoy my constant toothless threatening letters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I've only ever seen the Fishing License one before :magical:.

The delivery of "I'll have you beheaded!" always makes me chuckle though.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
TV license/tax probably made more sense when all British television was broadcast by the BBC, but nowadays it seems a bit anachronistic

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Yeah, I've gone without any sort of live TV for at least a year now and haven't missed it. The idea that the license fee keeps the BBC independent is a joke, the news has always been a mouthpiece for whichever party happens to be in charge.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
But we're free to cross a road wherever we like and not be punished for jaywalking, the dumbest 'crime'

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

boofhead posted:

'Allo 'allo, I hope you've got a license for that island/continent/subcontinent

What's that? No license? Well well well

d'you have a flag?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I think the nunchuck ban was specifically due to some kid in the UK getting them as a gift and immediately either killing (or maybe blinding?) himself or a sibling. Even if you're not very strong, you can whip those things around and get a lot of uncontrolled force out of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think the nunchuck ban was specifically due to some kid in the UK getting them as a gift and immediately either killing (or maybe blinding?) himself or a sibling. Even if you're not very strong, you can whip those things around and get a lot of uncontrolled force out of them.

They were banned because they're lame, OP.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They were banned because they're lame, OP.

If Britain banned lame things we wouldn't have a country.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
On the other side of the pond New York unbanned nunchakus.

Michelangelo rejoiced. Raphael couldn't be reached for comment regarding sais.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

If Britain banned lame things we wouldn't have a country.

Well you don't; you have three.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You need a fish licence for your pet halibut Eric.

Anyway does the "ninja" ban still exist or did they eventually backtrack? Do American-made movies and TV still have to avoid saying "ninja" to avoid giving the Queen the vapouerurs?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I bought my gf some nunchucks for Christmas, it’s only made for a couple painful moments. Recommended.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

You need a fish licence for your pet halibut Eric.

Anyway does the "ninja" ban still exist or did they eventually backtrack? Do American-made movies and TV still have to avoid saying "ninja" to avoid giving the Queen the vapouerurs?

Can confirm that by the early 2000's you were allowed to call the Turtles ninjas.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The nunchuk ban never made sense. If anything they should have been the only weapons allowed. Have fun learning how to use it to properly attack someone without concussing yourself or your fellow criminal first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SuddenCactus posted:

So if you had a telescopic truncheon that you shook out to extend it would it be legal to have it?

I bet those were already illegal.