Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Centrist Committee posted:

I don’t know why this had a garbage truck flying through space but I’m here for it
that was from 81.cn, the PLA website (81 is a reference to the aug. 1 founding of the PLA during the nanchang uprising)

a few weeks ago i posted a video of a military band and that guy was in it wearing a full uniform. and i was like "is this guy actually in the military? he looks like a t.v. host." and then someone replied snarkily that "they have military bands you know!!!" anyways, that's one of the guys! and he's singing about the space truck

i'm really excited

http://tv.81.cn/mcwt/2020-12/25/content_9958373.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rutibex posted:

wow asia really is a different world. i have never seen a KFC thats clean before

Random Asian Pizzahut content because I am in a good mood today.

Yeah Chinese Pizzahut and a couple other chains are completely localized and Pizzahut is effectively the Olive Garden/TGIF of China.

You also pay 1 fix price for a plate of salad bar so people do circus tricks on their plates.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Mar 9, 2021

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Random Asian Pizzahut content because I am in a good mood today.

Yeah Chinese Pizzahut and a couple other chains are completely localized and Pizzahut is effectively the Olive Garden/TGIF of China.

You also pay 1 fix price for a plate of salad bar so people do circus tricks on their plates.

Pizza Hut used to do salad bars here in the US as well, long ago. I haven't seen one since the late 80s or early 90s though

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Some Guy TT posted:

what about the ughyurs has become a sort of performative social media response to anyone talking about dumb gossip its basically the new free tibet

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Galaxy brain take: they're purposefully failing the xinjiang thing so they can them point to it as justification when they start getting climate refugees

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Centrist Committee posted:

The Russians don't want to hitch their space program to the epic memes rocket guy that is hollowing out NASA and are working with the Chinese instead, oh no!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/03/china-and-russia-say-they-will-work-together-to-build-a-lunar-station/

eric berger has such seething contempt for non-american space programs, he is probably the worst ars technica writer

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

One of the central points of contention in the debate about labour and human rights in the historical region of Tibet before and after its incorporation into the modern state of the People's Republic of China is the very definition of Tibet and serfdom itself, with some scholars claiming that the debate is framed around Eurocentric, Sinocentric and anachronistic ideas about statehood and society which are projected onto the history of the area in a way that distorts understanding.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

ArmZ posted:

One of the central points of contention in the debate about labour and human rights in the historical region of Tibet before and after its incorporation into the modern state of the People's Republic of China is the very definition of Tibet and serfdom itself, with some scholars claiming that the debate is framed around Eurocentric, Sinocentric and anachronistic ideas about statehood and society which are projected onto the history of the area in a way that distorts understanding.

Standing in marked contrast to the intolerant savagery of other religions, Buddhism is neither fanatical nor dogmatic--so say its adherents. For many of them Buddhism is less a theology and more a meditative and investigative discipline intended to promote an inner harmony and enlightenment while directing us to a path of right living. Generally, the spiritual focus is not only on oneself but on the welfare of others. One tries to put aside egoistic pursuits and gain a deeper understanding of one’s connection to all people and things. “Socially engaged Buddhism” tries to blend individual liberation with responsible social action in order to build an enlightened society.

in old Tibet the people lived in contented and tranquil symbiosis with their monastic and secular lords. Rich lamas and poor monks, wealthy landlords and impoverished serfs were all bonded together, mutually sustained by the comforting balm of a deeply spiritual and pacific culture.

It might be said that we denizens of the modern secular world cannot grasp the equations of happiness and pain, contentment and custom, that characterize more traditionally spiritual societies.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

huhwhat posted:

Standing in marked contrast to the intolerant savagery of other religions, Buddhism is neither fanatical nor dogmatic--so say its adherents. For many of them Buddhism is less a theology and more a meditative and investigative discipline intended to promote an inner harmony and enlightenment while directing us to a path of right living. Generally, the spiritual focus is not only on oneself but on the welfare of others. One tries to put aside egoistic pursuits and gain a deeper understanding of one’s connection to all people and things. “Socially engaged Buddhism” tries to blend individual liberation with responsible social action in order to build an enlightened society.

in old Tibet the people lived in contented and tranquil symbiosis with their monastic and secular lords. Rich lamas and poor monks, wealthy landlords and impoverished serfs were all bonded together, mutually sustained by the comforting balm of a deeply spiritual and pacific culture.

It might be said that we denizens of the modern secular world cannot grasp the equations of happiness and pain, contentment and custom, that characterize more traditionally spiritual societies.

a myth about a myth to combat a myth :xd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUMq6imrMmI

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

huhwhat posted:

source your quotes

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0711/S00322/friendly-feudalism-the-tibet-myth.htm

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I know nobody really gives a poo poo but there are muslims and other religions in Tibet and the people there weren't brainwashed, it has all the normal internal politics of anywhere else in the world. there was a communist party there in the early 20th century and it's leader sorta sold out to Chinese communists when they won the civil war but then working in Beijing rallied for tibetan issues a little too hard and went to jail for 20 years. I'm sure there were plenty of social movements to remove the autocratic theocracy, nationalist, republican, whatever.

even the current dalai lama got along well with Mao in the 50s and has said he was like a father figure and found himself reading marx etc. He served the maximum two terms, 10 years, as vice chairman of the national people's congress. but obv the situation changed and the dalai lama left china and became a CIA operative

edit: several years he was 'vice chairman' he was in voluntary exile but Mao kept the position in his name in hopes he would return

anti-dalai lama article posted:

After a rebellion took place in Tibet on March 10 in 1959, Mao Zedong once spoke of the Dalai Lama's fleeing abroad at the 16th supreme state conference.

The leader said, "If he is willing to return home and is able to get rid the reactionaries, then we hope he will do. However, in fact it seems impossible for him to return home. Is it possible for him to change his own world outlook? Perhaps he will do so in 60 years, maybe it will not take 60 years. But as the matter stands now, it is unrealistic to expect him to return within a very short time. If he wants to return, he can do so tomorrow. "

In a talk with the 10th Panchen Erdeni and Ngapoi Ngawang Jigme in Beijing on May 7, 1959, Chairman Mao said: "As for the Dalai Lama, one possibility is that he will return and the other is that he will not come back. Messages carried by Indian newspapers show that he is planning to return. But the two statements he made thoroughly oppose the Central Government and the big family of the motherland, and advocate Tibet independence. As a result, he has blocked his own way back home."

Mao added, "Even so, we still leave leeway for him and elected him vice-chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress. Furthermore, the position of the chairman of the Preparatory Committee of the Founding of the Tibet Autonomous Region is still kept for him. By leaving leeway for him, we' have taken the initiative in our hands."

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Mar 10, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1369803951521099782

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol that after jack ma's downfall, the richest billionaire in China is a guy who made his money selling bottled water

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

it's probably gonna be based on a previous bill called the "Endless Frontier Act"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The first thing I saw was this:

And then I saw this:

quote:

US to build anti-China missile network along first island chain

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. will bolster its conventional deterrence against China, establishing a network of precision-strike missiles along the so-called first island chain as part of $27.4 billion in spending to be considered for the Indo-Pacific theater over the next six years, Nikkei has learned.

They form the core proposals of the Pacific Deterrence Initiative that the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command has submitted to Congress and Nikkei has reviewed.

"The greatest danger to the future of the United States continues to be an erosion of conventional deterrence," the document said. "Without a valid and convincing conventional deterrent, China is emboldened to take action in the region and globally to supplant U.S. interests. As the Indo-Pacific's military balance becomes more unfavorable, the U.S. accumulates additional risk that may embolden adversaries to unilaterally attempt to change the status quo."

Specifically, it called for "the fielding of an Integrated Joint Force with precision-strike networks west of the International Date Line along the first island chain, integrated air missile defense in the second island chain, and a distributed force posture that provides the ability to preserve stability, and if needed, dispense and sustain combat operations for extended periods."

The first island chain consists of a group of islands including Taiwan, Okinawa and the Philippines, which China sees as the first line of defense. Beijing's "anti-access/area denial" strategy seeks to push American forces out of the East and South China seas within the first island chain.

China also seeks to keep U.S. forces from approaching the "second island chain" in the Western Pacific, which runs from southeastern Japan out to Guam and south to Indonesia.

The Indo-Pacific Command submitted an investment plan for fiscal 2022 through fiscal 2027 to Congress this month.

For fiscal 2022, it has requested $4.7 billion, which is more than double the $2.2 billion earmarked for the region in fiscal 2021, and is close to the roughly $5 billion Washington has spent annually on dealing with Russia.

And then I saw this:

quote:

Politico: In 2018, Diplomats Warned of Risky Coronavirus Experiments in a Wuhan Lab. No One Listened.

On January 15, in its last days, President Donald Trump’s State Department put out a statement with serious claims about the origins of the Covid-19 pandemic. The statement said the U.S. intelligence community had evidence that several researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology laboratory were sick with Covid-like symptoms in autumn 2019—implying the Chinese government had hidden crucial information about the outbreak for months—and that the WIV lab, despite “presenting itself as a civilian institution,” was conducting secret research projects with the Chinese military. The State Department alleged a Chinese government cover-up and asserted that “Beijing continues today to withhold vital information that scientists need to protect the world from this deadly virus, and the next one.”

In the spring of 2020, inside the U.S. government, some officials began to see and collect evidence of a different, perhaps more troubling theory—that the outbreak had a connection to one of the laboratories in Wuhan, among them the WIV, a world leading center of research on bat coronaviruses.

To some inside the government, the name of the laboratory was familiar. Its research on bat viruses had already drawn the attention of U.S. diplomats and officials at the Beijing Embassy in late 2017, prompting them to alert Washington that the lab’s own scientists had reported “a serious shortage of appropriately trained technicians and investigators needed to safely operate this high-containment laboratory.”

But their cables to Washington were ignored.

Feels like I'm losing my mind a little

THS
Sep 15, 2017

its real psycho poo poo imo

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
they got to piss in russia's eye for decades, surely this superpower won't blink either

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
lol americas gonna start another world war, this is so loving cool. the war nerd community is gonna be raking it in

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So DEM passed the stimulus package without any help from GOP, I guess they want to pass a bill on literally the only topic the 2 parties can agree on, China.

On the subject of that first island chain mid range defense system, that's actually something the Japanese want. That's why the article only came out of Nikkei and nothing else. However the Koreans already said they don't want it; the Taiwanese will no way let US install an offensive weapon on the island, plus there is no US Army station on Taiwan island to control it. Taiwan will only be on the sensor duty, which they are already doing. So this news is Japanese work out an angle to move the US weapon installations around, possible further away from the Okinawa city center.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Mar 11, 2021

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

shrike82 posted:

lol that after jack ma's downfall, the richest billionaire in China is a guy who made his money selling bottled water

nongfu spring is one of the largest drink manufacturers on earth dude

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

good to be a communist billionaire

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

good to be a communist billionaire
are you saying i can join the communist party and become a billionaire?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

capital accumulation with chinese characteristics

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Bro Dad posted:

nongfu spring is one of the largest drink manufacturers on earth dude

Yeah, that's true and everything. But at the same time something feels kinda lovely about 'the tap is poison so get your drinking water from some guy with some company who bottles it and sells it to you.' and that making the guy a billionaire when that money could, I dunno go to the government and be used to maybe make pipes that weren't leaking heavy metals into the water.

Would they be the largest drink manufacturer on Earth if anyone actually trusted the tap in China?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrainDance posted:

Yeah, that's true and everything. But at the same time something feels kinda lovely about 'the tap is poison so get your drinking water from some guy with some company who bottles it and sells it to you.' and that making the guy a billionaire when that money could, I dunno go to the government and be used to maybe make pipes that weren't leaking heavy metals into the water.

Would they be the largest drink manufacturer on Earth if anyone actually trusted the tap in China?

I am not trying to rush in to defend any billionaire, but at least drinking water scam is healthier than sugared water scam. Legal drinking age for soda should be 21 just like alcohol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not trying to rush in to defend any billionaire, but at least drinking water scam is healthier than sugared water scam. Legal drinking age for soda should be 21 just like alcohol.

there is no reason to pretend there’s a meaningful distinction

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://rhizzone.net/articles/shadow-boxing-red-china-2021/

coathat
May 21, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

Guys we found Bloomberg’s account

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oh wow the rhizzone still exists? brings me back

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well, nongfu does make sugary bullshit too. Those stupid vitamin drinks and stuff.

BrainDance has issued a correction as of 16:16 on Mar 11, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Other people post think tank talks, I post Joe Rogan interviews. He's having lots of China hawks on in recent days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyE55eB9Afc

https://twitter.com/JamieMetzl/status/1369290976993419268?s=20

quote:

OneShared.World Founder • Futurist • #HackingDarwin #GenesisCode #EternalSonata author • @AtlanticCouncil • Former NSC, State, UN • @WHO advisory committee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIXKJXsiBFc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's good, folks

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's good, folks

you wont fool me into reading it that easy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Other people post think tank talks, I post Joe Rogan interviews. He's having lots of China hawks on in recent days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyE55eB9Afc

https://twitter.com/JamieMetzl/status/1369290976993419268?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIXKJXsiBFc

lol Joe Rogan having an atlantic council guest will cause some meltdowns in that audience

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

lol Joe Rogan having an atlantic council guest will cause some meltdowns in that audience

let's be real Joe Rogan having on an Atlantic Council guest is worse than anything else the liberals pearl-clutched over with Rogan allegedly being "alt-right" or whatever the gently caress

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I couldn't get past "China massing naval power."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
former CIA agent

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

former CIA agent

Can the 2 goons who work for the state department confirm this. Tia

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rutibex posted:

oh wow the rhizzone still exists? brings me back

I read a third of the article of and its good so far. But the interface is extremely circa iPhone 4 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

let's be real Joe Rogan having on an Atlantic Council guest is worse than anything else the liberals pearl-clutched over with Rogan allegedly being "alt-right" or whatever the gently caress

quoted for truth