Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

redleader posted:

i just realised that i (as a non-uk person) have no idea how to pronounce keir

please do not interpret this as a request for further education. i'm happy keeping it a small mystery for myself, especially since there'll be no need to remember starmer once he has been consigned to the dustbin of history

kee-th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

redleader posted:

please do not interpret this as a request for further education. i'm happy keeping it a small mystery for myself, especially since there'll be no need to remember starmer once he has been consigned to the dustbin of history

As a British person living abroad, neither did I until someone said his name to me.

I've still never heard what his voice sounds like.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
He unfortunately doesn't even have one of those funny squeaky voices it's simply just the most boring voice you've ever not recalled.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
at this point one is p much forced to conclude that starmer is some kind of plant installed to kill off labour for good after the party proved itself unreliable to the ruling classes

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cerebral Bore posted:

at this point one is p much forced to conclude that starmer is some kind of plant installed to kill off labour for good after the party proved itself unreliable to the ruling classes

The political equivalent of MI5's raid on the guardian offices yes

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

another people escapes perfidious Albion's skeletal grasp

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

redleader posted:

Keer, rhymes with beer.

I'm telling you this because it's a not-that-uncommon Scottish name, and there's a non-zero chance that we'll see a Keir (or multiple Keirs) who is/are worth paying attention to sometime in the future.

At the very least, you now know how to pronounce Keira Knightley.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

keira knightly is the most famous scotsman now that sean connery is dead show some respect

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Relevant Tangent posted:

another people escapes perfidious Albion's skeletal grasp
skeletons are cool, our grasp is zombified and rotting meat chunks fall off and into your drink

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Angela Rayner has turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of nuLabour I think. Starmer, I expected nothing better, but Rayner seems to have done a complete about-face - maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.

She was never truly "left" but I think she has been done dirty somewhat - I think she genuinely believed that Keir was not just a right winger in disguise, you can see that she was genuinely outraged at the leaked report last year while Keith was all "oh no, yes a shame, but the most important thing is that the hammer of God be dropped on the leakers"

I think she is similar to Corbyn and Bernie, where she's pinned her colours to the Labour mast and is not going to betray the party as she sees it. Still a shame to see her toe the line so solidly.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dunno if it got posted in here yet but a woman was murdered by a police officer (not in the traditional way, a proper off the books murder) and its sparked a big attempt by British women to talk about how unsafe they feel on the streets and how regularly they are harrassed and scared.

Kiers response is to say that we need more police.
Additionally after helping make it legal for them to rape and kill women.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain Splendid posted:

As a British person living abroad, neither did I until someone said his name to me.

I've still never heard what his voice sounds like.

he's got a voice that makes everything he says sound like he's apologising for something. so you know ideal for politics

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1369995707147489282?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I did like him saying the difference between him and Boris is that when he clapped for the nurses he meant it. Quite literally 'we'll still stop your benefits but pull a sad face when we do it' but out loud to journalists

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

I did like him saying the difference between him and Boris is that when he clapped for the nurses he meant it. Quite literally 'we'll still stop your benefits but pull a sad face when we do it' but out loud to journalists

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1370002926568153090?s=20

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I just figured it out who he reminds me of - he's got Nicola Murray energy. Can definitely see keir practising how to lay a wreath at the cenotaph for hours

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1369831138689224709?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he's extremely bad

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1370007579137572867?s=20

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Angela Rayner has turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of nuLabour I think. Starmer, I expected nothing better, but Rayner seems to have done a complete about-face - maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before.
I think it just shows how much Corbs polished a bunch of turds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

She was always suspect when so many of the plp nominated her

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how many seats would labor have to lose to for keir et al to be fired

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

All of them. Keir is insulated as long as Jeremy Corbyn exists.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i feel like if he dosen't gain seats surely he's out anyway?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
On the other hand he's so much more electable regardless of the actual results

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i imagine he'd want to lose specifically enough SCG seats that the left can't front one of their own

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

redleader posted:

Pretty sure it’s pronounced it’s pronounced like the German word “der.” Der Starmer.

This does not apply to other people named Keir, but it is how you should pronounce Keir Starmers name.

E: v Also appropriate.

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 21:28 on Mar 11, 2021

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/dailystar/status/1248727092860198913?s=20

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if keir loses seats he’s out and the actual labor right is going to go full mask off and put their guy in. keir is a patsy to wreck the left, he’s not actually a part of the hard core labor right.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

how could jeremy corbyn do this??

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/10/untouchable-boris-bluster-busting-starmer-could-well-put-him-on-the-back-foot-again

lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

I saw this and was going to post it but was on my phone lol

I can't take all this sensible forensic examination

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

if keir loses seats he’s out and the actual labor right is going to go full mask off and put their guy in. keir is a patsy to wreck the left, he’s not actually a part of the hard core labor right.

I agree that he doesn't have a base within the party but I am extremely worried that they'll gain like 10 seats in 2024 and keep him on

We'll see what the mood in the party is after May I guess

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1370072525288390659?s=20

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pryor on Fire posted:

keira knightly is the most famous scotsman now that sean connery is dead show some respect

It's funny her name was suppose to be Kiera for the famous Russian figure skater, but her mum spelt her name wrong on the registration.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
kiera is not a scotch

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We got to lose two elections before giving up our go so I think it's only fair the state brutality faction should be allowed the same

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i was very impressed with myself noticing she was uncredited in Toast of London, probably one of her first gigs before the star wars nonsense

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

We got to lose two elections before giving up our go so I think it's only fair the state brutality faction should be allowed the same

need a leadership challenge first

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i think he means 'to', which is an objectively true statement.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jel Shaker posted:

i was very impressed with myself noticing she was uncredited in Toast of London, probably one of her first gigs before the star wars nonsense

I think that's Daisy Ridley although Kiera Knightley was in Phantom Menace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Party Boat posted:

I think that's Daisy Ridley although Kiera Knightley was in Phantom Menace

oh yeah oops

half point