Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Desert Bus posted:

If i'm remembering this right they trained them on Soviet tanks that used a different fuel than the German tanks so the dogs would end up IDing the Soviet tanks as the real threat.

funny thing is an ai would do the same thing. those dogs were just biological ai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It's all about the training dataset

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

exmachina posted:

It's all about the training dataset

"when you measure include the measurer"

-Master of Ceremonies Hammer

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ArmZ posted:

"when you measure include the measurer"

-Master of Ceremonies Hammer

that's why my dick is over 6ft (barely)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1370153649574318083?s=21

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

tangy yet delightful posted:

that's why my dick is over 6ft (barely)

2 feet down, 1 foot out, 1 foot back, 2 foot down, got it.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They’re not great right now but they kinda do.

every self driving company was forced to admit that getting in one is basically a death sentence and the tech is 20 years away. its all hype just like the stupid little cyber dog thing

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/YahooSports/status/1370145350367899652

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

The Spartans would have neither rockets nor mortgages :colbert:

that's why they're gone

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case being associated with Michigan State wasn't embarrassing enough.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

The $69 million NFT has taken over my brain as the single biggest indicator that our society is in a freefall into collapse and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Local Weather posted:

The $69 million NFT has taken over my brain as the single biggest indicator that our society is in a freefall into collapse and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

That shipping container full of crypto miners that was hooked directly up to a natural gas well did it for me.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Tulip posted:

soviets did anti-tank dogs but didn't train them well for combat so they frequently retreated back into soviet lines and killed soviet soldiers

the dogs were AN OP

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don't appreciate how the soviets treated their dogs.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Local Weather posted:

i assume its a money laundering deal, which isn't a new or novel concept

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sjs00 posted:

the dogs were AN OP

The dogs were just Social Democrats.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Nothus posted:

That shipping container full of crypto miners that was hooked directly up to a natural gas well did it for me.

oh yeah, that was a lmao. there are thousands of abandoned natural gas wells that have never been capped properly. constantly leaking gas. a huge ecological problem. this guy is buying the property for cheap and instead of capping them is burning the gas to mine crypto lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dick Valentine posted:

oh yeah, that was a lmao. there are thousands of abandoned natural gas wells that have never been capped properly. constantly leaking gas. a huge ecological problem. this guy is buying the property for cheap and instead of capping them is burning the gas to mine crypto lol

burning uncapped methane is massively better than just leaving it alone but goddamn it is not great that we even have a bunch of uncapped wells

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

so if I’m understanding it correctly, people are getting paid for nfts not in real money but in crypto which cant just be transferred into real money without losing a lot of its value right? so the guy didnt actually get 69 million, he got 69 million worth of crypto

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mistermojo posted:

so if I’m understanding it correctly, people are getting paid for nfts not in real money but in crypto which cant just be transferred into real money without losing a lot of its value right? so the guy didnt actually get 69 million, he got 69 million worth of crypto

Sounds similar to having 69 million "worth" of beanie babies

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mistermojo posted:

it was sold at like christies auction tho right? it might have been cash

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

ugh yeah it does look like it was cash

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mistermojo posted:

In any case, you can trade in mainstream crypto for cash pretty easily these days.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mistermojo posted:

you loving wish, that was a usd sale

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
there's zero sense paying attention to anything nft is actually about, its just speculation bubble poo poo because nobody has any clue where to put their smaug hoards of cash anymore

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah thats what made me think it wasnt https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/arts/design/christies-beeple-nft.html

quote:

It will also be the first time that Christie’s will accept payment in the cryptocurrency Ether.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

there's zero sense paying attention to anything nft is actually about, its just speculation bubble poo poo because nobody has any clue where to put their smaug hoards of cash anymore

Crypto is literally direct monetization of climate genocide; both the minting and trading of crypto tokens. So a speculation bubble is literally transacting in human corpses.

https://twitter.com/lohstroh/status/1358789181170941953?s=20

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Crypto is literally direct monetization of climate genocide; both the minting and trading of crypto tokens. So a speculation bubble is literally transacting in human corpses.

so you’re saying if I put “uighurs” on the blockchain the mods will start probing cryptoposters???

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I've always been under the impression art sales have been money laundering/tax evasion schemes for centuries. NFTs don't seem like anything worse than "normal" art, provided the artist gets the initial sale/profit.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
NFTs are art the same way rolling coal is art

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I've always been under the impression art sales have been money laundering/tax evasion schemes for centuries. NFTs don't seem like anything worse than "normal" art, provided the artist gets the initial sale/profit.

Every time a crypto token is created or changes hands, a ridiculous amount of fossil fuels are burned. Burning fossil fuels are the main cause of the changes to the global climate in the anthropocene era. Global temperature increase will kill or displace hundreds of millions of people in the next century.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tulip posted:

burning uncapped methane is massively better than just leaving it alone but goddamn it is not great that we even have a bunch of uncapped wells

there's absolutely no way they're complying with the rules on flaring or emissions. so they're still not actually doing anything good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Centrist Committee posted:

rolling coal is art

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

more falafel please posted:

Every time a crypto token is created or changes hands, a ridiculous amount of fossil fuels are burned. Burning fossil fuels are the main cause of the changes to the global climate in the anthropocene era. Global temperature increase will kill or displace hundreds of millions of people in the next century.

Extremely valid, current endorsement of such art withdrawn until we have cleaner energy for this bullshit.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

keynes was right

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Extremely valid, current endorsement of such art withdrawn until we have cleaner energy for this bullshit.

We literally never will. Not just "not in the foreseeable future" - never.

We'd have to figure out how to reverse entropy to get to the point where this bullshit isn't taking energy away from something more important.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Trabisnikof posted:

there's absolutely no way they're complying with the rules on flaring or emissions. so they're still not actually doing anything good.

ehhh, by mass when you burn ch4 into co2 it's like a 95%+ reduction in the GHG impact of that carbon, filing the right paperwork or not while you do it isn't gonna really move that needle too much

why the gently caress there are just uncapped wells sitting around and not getting sealed is a bigger problem though it's bonkers that that is happening

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

let's put it this way:

For normal art tax evasion crap, two guys with ledgers talk and they write down "I gained this much money and lost this piece of art" in one ledger and "I lost this much money and gained this piece of art" in another ledger. A third guy with a ledger dedicated to that piece of art writes down that the owner of the piece transferred from Person 1 to Person 2 on this date.

For NFT art tax evasion crap, all of that happens and then they also run all the appliances and heating for an entire house for 50 years to prove their dedication.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tulip posted:

ehhh, by mass when you burn ch4 into co2 it's like a 95%+ reduction in the GHG impact of that carbon, filing the right paperwork or not while you do it isn't gonna really move that needle too much

why the gently caress there are just uncapped wells sitting around and not getting sealed is a bigger problem though it's bonkers that that is happening

that's not an "uncapped well" that's clearly a well that produces natural gas, even if oil is the more expensive commodity it produces. All the red painted pipe (red means natural gas), the natural gas production equipment, etc.

So what's happening is natural gas is too cheap so instead they're flaring it to make bitcoins. I highly doubt they're doing so within their legal limits, instead they would have to either find a buyer for that gas or stop operating the well.

Because this is the exact same trick all the big emitters try. They pretend that if you do something bad and often illegal, but then use a little bit of that bad/illegal product to do something useful, that makes it good. Except they're the ones causing the problem in the first place.

It's the old "I stole $100 from you, but then I gave you $5 back, so really I'm a good fella."

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Mar 12, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I still don't understand what "owning" means in the context of an NFT, because the piece of art is not the NFT, and owning the NFT gives you no legal rights over the art, right? So this is the equivalent of my mate selling me a plot of land on the moon for 20 quid. Neither of us have anything to do with the moon, my ability to interact with the moon is unchanged, all I've gained is a piece of paper saying I own a plot of land on the moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I still don't understand what "owning" means in the context of an NFT, because the piece of art is not the NFT, and owning the NFT gives you no legal rights over the art, right? So this is the equivalent of my mate selling me a plot of land on the moon for 20 quid. Neither of us have anything to do with the moon, my ability to interact with the moon is unchanged, all I've gained is a piece of paper saying I own a plot of land on the moon.

But maybe you can convince some other rear end in a top hat to pay double for it!!!