Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
playing nier and not getting the other endings sounds like the most anticlimactic way to experience nier and i don't even particularly like how much you have to replay it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Marie was definitely super lame and annoying even as I was playing it

And then her bonus dungeon is extremely unfun. P4G has a few nice QoL things but other than that all the new content is much worse than the base game and drags it down (not that I even liked P4 all that much to begin with)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gaius Marius posted:

When did I ever try and do that. Obviously everything I post is my opinion. What kind of bizzare disease are you infected with that everything is a struggle to find an absolute truth
NOW I FACE OUT, I HOLD OUT

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I only played a little of P4 Golden so my only thoughts on Marie is that it was weird when a side character in FF7r apparently raided her wardrobe.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that would be because they didn't invent the look for marie, they just borrowed it from fashion trends

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I really liked Nier A's chapter-select since the format allows a plot that can shift the landscape or block-off areas, but since you can time-travel and keep your progress there is nothing technically missable. It strikes the balance between a ruthlessly linear JRPG, and a static open-world that never changes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, having Baton Pass not locked behind Confidant progress and less of Morgana's incessant "you need to go to bed" already makes it one of the better mechanical upgrades (Golden introducing manual skill inheritance to the series will never NOT be the best though).

When I first saw manual skill inheritance show up in devil survivor, I was so happy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I never played original P4, only Golden so Marie didn't feel as obtrusive to me tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my only experience with marie was a bit of the p4g anime but she didn't really feel especially dumber or more obnoxious than any part of vanilla p4. the entire cast of the game can be described as pretty flat archetypes who occasionally get like five minutes of interesting writing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 11, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
her dungeon at least tries to do something interesting which is more than most of them can say

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i liked marie just because it was funny how your entire squad coincidentally showed up every time you did one of her social link scenes, also she was inoffensive other than that

shes pretty unnecessary to the game as a whole, but i mean maruki and kasumi are 100% unnecessary to persona 5 even if their content is the best stuff in the game so i won't hold that against her

still got no idea where the hell they were going with Jose plot-wise though lmao

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
in sonic chronicles whenever you do any special attacks, you're prompted to do some action commands based on elite beat agents (the game is entirely touch screen). because these commands are not actually synced to any music, because they are fairly fast, and because missing even one input neuters the attack or causes it to miss outright (including healing moves!), i'm not terribly fond of the system.

fortunately there's chaos, a kind of accessory you hatch from eggs found laying around the map. there are forty different chao abilities and, while the rarest type is called Unique, what you actually get when an egg hatches is completely random and you can get multiple of the same type. one of the Unique abilities allows the equipped character to ignore the action command system altogether, so now i have four of those chaos, along with cream the rabbit, who can top off everyone's otherwise very limited mp every turn

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Marie's fine in the little details but Persona 4 did not have room for her in it's plot so she comes off like a weird fanfiction edit. she's simultaneously more special than everyone else and also completely irrelevant, and her presence innately comes at the expense of everything else going on.

Yoshizawa and Maruki don't feel like that because they're segued in much better, but also because Persona 5 sucks so some higher quality storytelling is welcome.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
More explicit details on SaGa Frontier Remastered (now on preorder)

quote:

New Story Developments – Introducing Fuse as the Eighth Protagonist!
The scenario has been written by Akitoshi Kawazu (SaGa Series General Director) and Benny Matsuyama (game writer and fiction author). Fuse will follow the journey of the seven protagonists while the story unfolds in a manner that makes players get to the bottom of a case; they will find scenes that make them chuckle, as well as new developments that touch their hearts.
The ending to the seven character stories have evolved further from the original version and will surely make players want to follow everyone’s journey alongside Fuse. (Players can play this content by completing any of the other seven protagonists’ scenarios.)
Fuse’s storyline is further enlivened with new music from composer Kenji Ito
About the Fuse Storyline
- Unlock Conditions
Completing any of the other protagonists’ storylines unlocks the episode corresponding to that protagonist, enabling players to enjoy seven different scenario routes in total, one for each of the seven other protagonists.
Due to the feature that enables players to carry-over their status after completion, players can also enjoy this content with their stats already powered-up, providing replayability.
- Structure
Allows players to enjoy the “IF” scenario: “What if Fuse had intervened in the other protagonists’ episodes?” and enables players to form parties that are only possible in the Fuse storyline.
There are also routes that branch into multiple endings as a result of the actions taken within the story.
- Team-up with IRPO members
Other members of the IRPO can also join a party in Fuse’s storyline. Emilia’s fiancé “Ren” finally joins the party in the remastered version.
- All Protagonists Join the Party
All protagonists can potentially join a party if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. In the original game, certain characters did not join a party depending on the protagonist, but one of the compelling aspects of the remastered version is that it enables players to recruit all other protagonists to a party in the Fuse storyline.
- All Final Boss Battles Possible
Players can potentially battle the other protagonists’ final bosses if certain conditions are met in the Fuse storyline. (A system that enables players to once again challenge the “final boss” of a protagonist that has joined a party in the Fuse storyline.)
Players can challenge up to 6; the more players defeated, the stronger the final boss becomes in the route, unfolding into a battle that poses an even greater challenge. The final boss battle BGM from the Fuse storyline has been newly composed by Kenji Ito.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Out of morbid curiosity I picked up Yo-kai watch 3 since I remember this series used to be like, huge. Almost rivaling pokemon (in japan at least..dunno how big it got here) and I..don't really get it. Obviously, I can tell exactly why kids like it but I know alot of older people were real into the games when they were more relevant and I'm just not really seeing it. Not very far though, maybe it gets better?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Maybe Yokai Watch 1 was big but that series nosebombed sales wise real real hard and never succeeded outside Japan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Recruitable Blue :eyepop:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
All I know about Yokai Watch is that grinding for medals in the FFXIV event was hell.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Out of morbid curiosity I picked up Yo-kai watch 3 since I remember this series used to be like, huge. Almost rivaling pokemon (in japan at least..dunno how big it got here) and I..don't really get it. Obviously, I can tell exactly why kids like it but I know alot of older people were real into the games when they were more relevant and I'm just not really seeing it. Not very far though, maybe it gets better?

yokai watch came along when pokemon was sort of faltering - XY was almost certainly the least-well-received generation of pokemon games so far - and did really well at being a monster collecting game that wasn't pokemon. since all of pokemon's original competitors - digimon, monster rancher, dragon quest monsters, etc. - tapped out a long time ago, there was a lot of room in the market for it. i'm not sure that it was ever very popular with adults though.

speaking of monster rancher, a bit of googling for this post revealed to me that monster rancher 1 & 2 got JP-only remasters on the switch with no plans at all for localization anywhere else. feels bad

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yokai Watch was one of Level 5's several failed attempts of game+anime and the grinding failure of 4 sealed their fate.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

isn't it more like the one successful attempt that they then ran into the ground?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

isn't it more like the one successful attempt that they then ran into the ground?

Yeah, Yokai Watch basically did a speedrun on ballooning into an international phenomenon and collapsing into irrelevance. Mostly because it got oversaturated to hell.

And then 4 was an unfinished technical nightmare where they tried to basically reboot it to be cooler with an ambitious new battle system and big open world stuff and it just completely bombed

Zore fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 12, 2021

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't believe yokai watch came after Gundam AGE

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yokai Watch started out alright, and then very quickly went to meh. Trying to get 100% of the Yokai was an exercise in frustration from the word go, as well (Pandanoko! :argh:)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zore posted:

Yeah, Yokai Watch basically did a speedrun on ballooning into an international phenomenon and collapsing into irrelevance. Mostly because it got oversaturated to hell.

And then 4 was an unfinished technical nightmare where they tried to basically reboot it to be cooler with an ambitious new battle system and big open world stuff and it just completely bombed

did yokai watch 4 coincide with the yokai watch anime suddenly deciding to go serious and dark and losing the fun dance scenes that were why the series got super big with kids in the first place

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im in love with kowloon high school chronicles. serial bomber secret agent of the student council punishing people who vet close to the ruins and your teacher not understanding how this is allowed. not the safest school

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

did yokai watch 4 coincide with the yokai watch anime suddenly deciding to go serious and dark and losing the fun dance scenes that were why the series got super big with kids in the first place

Yeah, Yokai Watch 4 was part of a coordinated effort to make the series darker and more serious in an effort to shake things up after things started flagging with Yokai Watch 3. It bombed horribly and turned people off even harder.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Harrow posted:

Recruitable Blue :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

Yeah, Yokai Watch 4 was part of a coordinated effort to make the series darker and more serious in an effort to shake things up after things started flagging with Yokai Watch 3. It bombed horribly and turned people off even harder.

Ahh, the Advance Wars method! :pseudo:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, the Advance Wars method! :pseudo:

Day of Ruin was really good though. :(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's not the advance wars method because some people like days of ruin

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Level 5's pump and dump strategy is hilarious. They'll hit gold, milk it extremely hard and then drop it the moment it underperforms in the slightest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Level 5's pump and dump strategy is hilarious. They'll hit gold, milk it extremely hard and then drop it the moment it underperforms in the slightest.

We'll get another LBX game one day!

One day.... :negative:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Let's all get really into Snack World.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Kowloon High School main/fight theme has a permanent spot in my mental playlist and I'm not complaining one bit

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
My wife is not really a big Gamer or anything but is always under the impression that Dark Cloud 3 is going to come out any day now. We know a guy who was applying for a low level job at Level-5 a while back and she kept saying to him you should ask them to make a new Dark Cloud.

Relin posted:

people rave about like, dark souls series' music but i can't pick any song apart.

I think it's because outside of a handful of ambient tracks it only plays during boss fights and you are usually concentrating too much on fighting the boss to pay attention to the music.

dmboogie posted:

still got no idea where the hell they were going with Jose plot-wise though lmao

I'm curious about this also, since I haven't played Royal and I guess he wasn't important enough to be in the main scenes of the added plot that I just watched on Youtube.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 12, 2021

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Let's all get really into Snack World.

holding out for fantasy life

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Item Getter posted:

My wife is not really a big Gamer or anything but is always under the impression that Dark Cloud 3 is going to come out any day now. We know a guy who was applying for a low level job at Level-5 a while back and she kept saying to him you should ask them to make a new Dark Cloud.

You could always get her to try Rogue Galaxy :v:.

(I legit like Rogue Galaxy, but it absolutely has problems. Looking at you, literally all of Juraika)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
was gonna say the fantasy life devs got folded into a nintendo support studio, but then i remembered i was thinking of brownie brown getting demoted to the fantasy life development assistance studio shortly before being folded into a nintendo support studio

if you wanna know where there's never been a magical vacation 3, well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just started Persona 4 Golden. I'm just 15 minutes in, but Heartbeat Heartbreak is great and it reminded me just how much I enjoyed P5's music. Hopefully we'll see P5R ported some day to PC.
Also currently playing Disgaea 4, but I'm having some trouble getting into the mechanical side of it - I loved 5 but going back to the previous installment is proving to be a somewhat annoying experience. What do you mean I have to grind new characters all the way up from level 1??? At least I'm really enjoying the voice acting and humor so far.