Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pretty weird how powerful former game show hosts are in this country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol projection.flv

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/slipknothooh/status/1370037265674735620?s=21

lol

Red and Black has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Mar 11, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In response to that comment I'm just going to say hey remember the atlantic council paper they put out where they were like "we want the chinese system in the west but with us in charge"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

So DEM passed the stimulus package without any help from GOP, I guess they want to pass a bill on literally the only topic the 2 parties can agree on, China.

On the subject of that first island chain mid range defense system, that's actually something the Japanese want. That's why the article only came out of Nikkei and nothing else. However the Koreans already said they don't want it; the Taiwanese will no way let US install an offensive weapon on the island, plus there is no US Army station on Taiwan island to control it. Taiwan will only be on the sensor duty, which they are already doing. So this news is Japanese work out an angle to move the US weapon installations around, possible further away from the Okinawa city center.

On the other hand

quote:

But placing U.S. missiles on Japanese soil would be fraught with difficulty. Because such a move would affect the division of roles between the American military and Japan's Self-Defense Forces, Tokyo and Washington would need to discuss the details of any proposed deployment, including the locations and range of the missiles.

An opportunity is likely to come during negotiations on host-nation support for fiscal 2022 onward. Missile deployment "could be discussed as we talk about the course of the Japan-U.S. alliance," a senior Foreign Ministry official said.

A decision by Japan to host American missiles would be certain to anger China, complicating diplomacy between the two economically intertwined neighbors. And Tokyo is likely to encounter local opposition around potential deployment sites, including in Okinawa, where around 70% of American forces in the country are concentrated.

Budget concerns may arise as well. Washington "could ask us to shoulder maintenance and other costs associated with missiles deployed in Japan," a Defense Ministry official said.

They claim none of this has been planned or discussed with state officials in Japan.

And you have https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/house-armed-services-chairman-wants-to-stop-throwing-money-at-f-35s

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a35768282/f-35-joint-strike-fighter-rathole/

quote:

House Armed Services Committee chairman Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., railed against the vast expenses of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the stealthy fifth-generation fighter jet.

Smith said he wants to "stop throwing money down that particular rathole" for the F-35, which currently costs $36,000 per hour and has a projected lifetime cost of $1.7 trillion. It’s believed to be the world’s most expensive weapons platform.

Smith added that Congress should "seriously scrub" the Pentagon's big-ticket weapons programs.

"We have wasted a spectacular amount of money on weapons systems that either haven’t worked at all or who have not lived up to their promise," Smith said. "The failure we wind up tolerating is failure on a massive freaking scale. Think F-35."

The F-35 program is literally too big to fail and must succeed. The fighter jet replaces too many older planes, many of which have no credible alternative. The Pentagon would need to design and build multiple alternative jets, which would cost too much money at a time when the defense budget will likely remain flat—or very close to it—for the next decade.

So you have the military that wants even more money for even more poo poo while the civilian government is balking at their increasingly wasteful programs. So is anyone really willingly to start shuffling money around for even more poo poo instead of just letting things coast along just as they are now.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

perhaps the US should spend more on coastal defenses and subs and stop wasting it on carrier groups and jets intended to penetrate hostile airspaces

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lollontee posted:

lol americas gonna start another world war, this is so loving cool. the war nerd community is gonna be raking it in

as it turns out china was justified in their military buildup seeing as how absolute batshit we are for forever wars

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

lollontee posted:

lol americas gonna start another world war, this is so loving cool. the war nerd community is gonna be raking it in

I long to be bathed in atoms cleansing light, inshallah.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if I was the united states I'd simply come to a mutual understanding with china and focus on my atlantic commitments and loving over south america and africa.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Stairmaster posted:

if I was the united states I'd simply come to a mutual understanding with china and focus on my atlantic commitments and loving over south america and africa.

that would require sharing your profits with people who are not your vassals

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
joe rogan should invite carl zha. he'd be perfect for that show because he's a big, lovable surfer dude from california

THS
Sep 15, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

joe rogan should invite carl zha. he'd be perfect for that show because he's a big, lovable surfer dude from california

that would unironically be a great listen

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

THS posted:

that would unironically be a great listen

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

War Nerd should have Carl on again, it's been a while.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'd love to see Dolan on JRE - sitting shiftily, sweating his eyes gleaming as they talk about drugs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I love the nonsense details in maps like these, like how here China has forced Russia to return Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands to Japan for some reason?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Throatwarbler posted:

I love the nonsense details in maps like these, like how here China has forced Russia to return Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands to Japan for some reason?

I don't think there's any reason to believe those belong to Japan in that map. I'm not sure if Japan exists

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

pangzai go on Chapo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/SayakaChatani/status/1370186474985951233
https://mobile.twitter.com/SayakaChatani/status/1370188137595473922
https://mobile.twitter.com/SayakaChatani/status/1370189345278234627
https://mobile.twitter.com/SayakaChatani/status/1370190086214578183

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1370125470084239363?s=20

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:yeshaha: People are so angry in the comments.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Here's a mental exercise

Let's say that there's a charter that wants to reform the UN by dissolving the security council. The United States has elected Trump a second time, and he instituted a full isolationist policy and has fully left the UN. the UK is crippled with BoJo still in charge, and has essentially abandoned their UN seat to handle domestic affairs. France has been preoccupied with European Unification and has specified their willingness to vote for it for full recognition of the EU as a state. That leaves you and Russia. You are the Chinese ambassador, and you are asked to finalize this vote.

Do you vote to dissolve the security council?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

Here's a mental exercise

Let's say that there's a charter that wants to reform the UN by dissolving the security council. The United States has elected Trump a second time, and he instituted a full isolationist policy and has fully left the UN. the UK is crippled with BoJo still in charge, and has essentially abandoned their UN seat to handle domestic affairs. France has been preoccupied with European Unification and has specified their willingness to vote for it for full recognition of the EU as a state. That leaves you and Russia. You are the Chinese ambassador, and you are asked to finalize this vote.

Do you vote to dissolve the security council?

yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/MilitaryBlog/status/1369398731594989573

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Appreciate how one of them is speaking Russian and one is speaking Ukrainian.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Sounds like he's just saying some information will be revealed on Monday.

Lostconfused posted:

Appreciate how one of them is speaking Russian and one is speaking Ukrainian.

Yeah that's cool, most Ukrainians understand both I guess.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

whoa did not realize ukraine had been genocided by the russians

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not trying to rush in to defend any billionaire, but at least drinking water scam is healthier than sugared water scam. Legal drinking age for soda should be 21 just like alcohol.

Why do you hate the disabled and want to sabotage their neurological development? Are you an amphetamine lobbyist?

coathat posted:

Guys we found Bloomberg’s account

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

United States of Antarctica

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
so eurasia and oceania take all the adjacent land no question, but eastasia stays in a sea of disputed land?

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Eox posted:

so eurasia and oceania take all the adjacent land no question, but eastasia stays in a sea of disputed land?

I'm getting associations to the old "obsessively inward-looking Asian culture" stereotype.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
https://twitter.com/BrunoRguezP/status/1370014066949951489?s=20

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Get hosed mongolia, neither the chinese or russians want you

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I'd say that 1984 map is pretty good consider how old it is. It just need to give west Europe to blue and change the whole Africa to gray, because blue only cares about selected oil countries in Africa. Also turn Japan blue and Indochina light red.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

let's be real Joe Rogan having on an Atlantic Council guest is worse than anything else the liberals pearl-clutched over with Rogan allegedly being "alt-right" or whatever the gently caress

Oh look I actually will agree with radlibs that Rogan has had a problematic guest on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Going back to the F-35, another essential issue with it is it basically can't really dogfight especially against more agile late 4th generation/5th generation fighters. This wasn't such an issue when it was being designed back in the 1990s when neither the Russians or Chinese had stealth fighters, but nowadays it is more of an issue even if both Russia and China have a relatively small number of aircraft.

Basically, against older fighters the F-35 would theoretically be able to acquire a lock far before it got close enough to fire its own missiles. The problem is if other fighters are stealthy enough to get close to a F-35, then it is a sitting duck. The F-35 would still be able to easily dominate against countries with older fighters/defenses (forever wars etc) but it is a bigger issue when it has to actually engage in competitive warfare. (Also, there is still a serious issue with parts which means F-35s are probably not going to being a part of sustained operations anytime soon.)

Now the US military is in a no-man's-land because the contracts are signed and the aircraft are being built but they are going to be mostly doing jobs that could be done better and cheaper by older cold-war era aircraft. Also, going from the design phase to a fighter ready for combat operations can take years if not decades.

Then you have the Ford that is still having problems with its catapult (as of March 2021, 4 years after it was commissioned) and it still isn't ready for combat. And as I said before, other pointless ships like the Zumwalt/America-class/LCS etc. (In particular, it is unclear what role the America class is going to fill considering the last time the US conducted a genuine amphibious operation was the Korean War.)

Clancy-chat and everything, but this is still going in the background of what has been occurring.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

we should get the f-35 designers to make the next generation of american ICBMs, that way if we try to nuke china they all blow up in their silos

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
fyi:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1367254131375812609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

we should get the f-35 designers to make the next generation of american ICBMs, that way if we try to nuke china they all blow up in their silos
they wisely gave the contract for the new nuclear death missiles to northrop grumman instead of lockheed martin