Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk i think a bunch of googleoids give a poo poo about assembling a promotion package and little else beyond that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

idk i think a bunch of googleoids give a poo poo about assembling a promotion package and little else beyond that

that’s literally all of google. launch a thing for promo, get the rewards, abandon it to die. there’s no promo in maintenance.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i am trying a pixel 4a 5g and lmao this new gapp app SUCKS BAD

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://infrequently.org/2021/03/the-performance-inequality-gap/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ban js and guillotine all frontend devs

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
on my fullstack class 3 or 4 years ago we ended up building a monstrosity that used 500% more resources than just using a regular webserver.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s called mean, not lean

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Celexi posted:

my fullstack class

your what?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

I had the same thought but we were forced to take the class lol

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Celexi posted:

on my fullstack class 3 or 4 years ago we ended up building a monstrosity that used 500% more resources than just using a regular webserver.

Only 500% more? Amateur hour. I bet I could get 800-900% more without even trying!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

massive inefficiency is only a misconfigured jvm parameter away

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i guess this goes here lol

quote:

Google Must Face Suit Over Snooping on ‘Incognito’ Browsing

Google failed to kill a lawsuit alleging that it secretly scoops up troves of internet data even if users browse in “Incognito” mode to keep their search activity private.

The consumers who filed the case as a class action alleged that even when they turn off data collection in Chrome, other Google tools used by websites end up amassing their personal information. A federal judge on Friday denied the Alphabet Inc. unit’s initial request to throw out the case.

“The court concludes that Google did not notify users that Google engages in the alleged data collection while the user is in private browsing mode,” U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, wrote in her ruling.

The ruling comes as Google and Apple Inc. face intense scrutiny by lawmakers over their data gathering practices. Google has said it will next year eliminate third-party cookies that help advertisers keep tabs on consumers’ web activity and won’t employ alternative methods to track individuals.

“We strongly dispute these claims and we will defend ourselves vigorously against them,” Google spokesperson Jose Castaneda said in an emailed statement. “Incognito mode in Chrome gives you the choice to browse the internet without your activity being saved to your browser or device. As we clearly state each time you open a new incognito tab, websites might be able to collect information about your browsing activity during your session.”

Read more: Google Sued for Secretly Amassing Vast Trove of User Data

Three Google users filed a complaint in June claiming the company carries on a “pervasive data tracking business.” Google collects browsing history and other web activity data even after users employ safeguards to protect their data such as using “Incognito” private browsing mode, according to the complaint.

“Google knows who your friends are, what your hobbies are, what you like to eat, what movies you watch, where and when you like to shop, what your favorite vacation destinations are, what your favorite color is, and even the most intimate and potentially embarrassing things you browse on the internet -- regardless of whether you follow Google’s advice to keep your activities ‘private,’” according to the complaint.

Google argued the plaintiffs consented to its privacy policy, which the company said explicitly discloses its data collection practices.

“Google also makes clear that ‘Incognito’ does not mean ‘invisible,’ and that the user’s activity during that session may be visible to websites they visit, and any third-party analytics or ads services the visited websites use,” Google said in a court filing.

The case is Brown v. Google LLC, 20-3664, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California (San Jose).

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Google is about to realize that collecting data based on a technicality (which subverts user expectations) is about to get expensive. When they promote incognito mode, maybe they should treat it as such, ad revenue be damned.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sb hermit posted:

Google is about to realize that collecting data based on a technicality (which subverts user expectations) is about to get expensive. When they promote incognito mode, maybe they should treat it as such, ad revenue be damned.

google has that lack of ability to self-critique, like their answer to pervasive ad-tracking is "we'll do all the tracking, don't worry about it" and their response to one of their own employees mildly waving a flag that they might not be doing everything ethically is to have a big public meltdown and fire two industry leaders for clear bullshit reasons

basically to them it's impossible that continuing to track people who have specifically asked not to be tracked could be wrong because we're google and we're good. my guess it they'll just remove incognito mode after a couple attempts to rename it to something compliant like "third party sandbox mode"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

last night i was waiting on a food delivery and browsing the forums on my phone with the awful app and somehow it completely blocked me from seeing an incoming call from the food dude. i only realised it because a notification popped up on my PC saying that i missed a call.

pretty sure this is just a dumb android ting and nothing to do with awful app. thandroid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also presumably at least the engineering side having a slashdot level of understanding law, where chrome doesn't actually track *you*, it tracks a unique identifier which happens to get reconnected to your profile on an unrelated backend, and since when are tables illegal?!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In 2016, Jio swept over the subcontinent like a monsoon dropping a torrent of 4G infrastructure and free data rather than rain.

my god what a sentence

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

specs!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ban all devs from owning a phone more powerful than a moto e imo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ill admit i unironically love mental gymnastics of which this is just one leap in an entire floor routine

it starts with CRAPPLE!!! because if you put that anywhere else it will trump whatever the concern is so you have to take that off the table immediately. then comes specs! but all the devices use the same chipset every year so then its got to be just the specs of a single component usually the camera but youll get sd cards and headphone jacks from time to time. support and user experience are dismissed out of hand. privacy is always a major concern but somehow theyll end up with a chinese handset from an oem with a history of state installed backdoors running a google os that is also backdoored because actually the only thing they cared about all along was that it cost $200 and they worked backward from there

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
youtube music plays songs in radio stations that you've disliked how are they so bad at this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

are you sure you disliked those songs? because Google switched the order of the like/dislike buttons from every other app they develop just for YouTube music

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LastInLine posted:

ill admit i unironically love mental gymnastics of which this is just one leap in an entire floor routine

it starts with CRAPPLE!!! because if you put that anywhere else it will trump whatever the concern is so you have to take that off the table immediately. then comes specs! but all the devices use the same chipset every year so then its got to be just the specs of a single component usually the camera but youll get sd cards and headphone jacks from time to time. support and user experience are dismissed out of hand. privacy is always a major concern but somehow theyll end up with a chinese handset from an oem with a history of state installed backdoors running a google os that is also backdoored because actually the only thing they cared about all along was that it cost $200 and they worked backward from there

i mean, that's dyp, but for a lot of the world that $200 phone is the most they can afford, so websites/apps that don't run well are genuinely class warfare

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

LastInLine posted:

if you buy a phone with less than the maximum number of gigaflops available is the first step towards yielding all your rights to the commies

whoa dude

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

i mean, that's dyp, but for a lot of the world that $200 phone is the most they can afford, so websites/apps that don't run well are genuinely class warfare

You can buy a used iPhone 8 Plus for $200~ on Swappa.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jenny Agutter posted:

are you sure you disliked those songs? because Google switched the order of the like/dislike buttons from every other app they develop just for YouTube music

haha yeah that got me a few times but they definitely have a thumbs down on them when they start playing

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

LOL like looking for like more m
m

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I hadn't used my Google Play Store to look for apps in a while and holy poo poo it's bad

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

actually android has an entire ecosystem just for those devices called go where the apps are lightweight and are supposed to work well on <2gb ram. you cant install those apps from the play store on specs! type phones however

in my defense i am a communist so i meant that in a good way

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You can buy a used iPhone 8 Plus for $200~ on Swappa.

unfortunately thats not an option in the parts of the world where a $200 android is the norm. here and in dyp that always gets mentioned and always gets ignored but is obviously by far the most sensible option

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LastInLine posted:

actually android has an entire ecosystem just for those devices called go where the apps are lightweight and are supposed to work well on <2gb ram. you cant install those apps from the play store on specs! type phones however

why don't they make the whole app out of the lightweight version

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Last Chance posted:

they put more effort into tracking people with more money

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Last Chance posted:

infernal machines posted:

they put more effort into tracking people with more money

its explicitly this. they go out of their way to make sure you cant use the lightweight apps in north america and europe. i should note that facebook apps do have the same split but i think theirs all called lite

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol even android's app store is fragmented

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

its explicitly this. they go out of their way to make sure you cant use the lightweight apps in north america and europe. i should note that facebook apps do have the same split but i think theirs all called lite
they don't strip out the tracking, just the extra features. i just installed google go and maps go and they both work fine here in the us

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

they don't strip out the tracking, just the extra features. i just installed google go and maps go and they both work fine here in the us

i just meant they make it so you have to sideload it and you cant get it installed or updated via the play store

iirc all of them significantly reduce the amount of data used along with the obvious stuff like made for lower resolutions and fewer 3d animations but really if youre using google services at all arent most of the tracking mechanisms on the server end rather than the device end?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i installed google go from your play store link, and found and installed maps go in the play store myself

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i installed google go from your play store link, and found and installed maps go in the play store myself

i wonder when they opened it up to all regions? just checked and its the same for me but i looked at articles from when they were released and all mention that you have to sideload in the us

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

more like google go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

carry on then posted:

more like google go gently caress yourself

thread title?