Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im sure there's some hyper advanced civilization that can fold space or whatever and one enterprising individual will warp in here and turn earth and humanity into a novelty pet store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

im sure there's some hyper advanced civilization that can fold space or whatever and one enterprising individual will warp in here and turn earth and humanity into a novelty pet store

good Orville ep

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pointsofdata posted:

Imagine just detecting it though. What would that do to society?

we have a ton of evidence that climate change will directly kill hundreds of millions of people and that fact is doing nothing to society so i think detecting a transmission from an alien civilization will probably also do nothing.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Improbable Lobster posted:

i wonder if we'll ever see what's under europa's ice in my lifetime

the dream of space exploration died as soon as it was the boomers turn to start paying for it

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

pointsofdata posted:

Imagine just detecting it though. What would that do to society? Are there any short stories about us detecting something like the arecibo message. I feel like it has the potential to be super frustrating as well as cool.

you’d get a whole bunch of people declaring it fake immediately and then it becomes a political ideology and now we have space fascists that don’t believe in aliens

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the dream of space exploration died as soon as it was the boomers turn to start paying for it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sweevo posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
space is big
space is dark
it's hard to find
a place to park
burma shave

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rotor posted:

we have a ton of evidence that climate change will directly kill hundreds of millions of people and that fact is doing nothing to society so i think detecting a transmission from an alien civilization will probably also do nothing.

what if you can monetize the alien message though.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

indigi posted:

what if you can monetize the alien message though.

well then yes obviously that would fundamentally change humankind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

space is big
space is dark
it's hard to find
a place to park
burma shave

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

space is big
space is dark
it's hard to find
a place to park
burma shave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJkYNoE2_u4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fart Sandwiches posted:

That's also assuming a right-now timeframe. Given the billions of years that have elapsed it could be intelligent life has sprung up, we just missed them by a billion or so years.

well yes but that doesn't really matter from the point of view of saying "the universe is full of intelligent life" which is usually said by people trying to wish it into existence

mind you just finding ruins would be mindblowingly incredible - but that's much less likely without some kind of massive interstellar transport program

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

well yes but that doesn't really matter from the point of view of saying "the universe is full of intelligent life" which is usually said by people trying to wish it into existence

you sound like an internet atheist

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
you sound like an internet pagan. what are we talking about here

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I sound like a goose

Honk honk

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

you sound like an internet pagan. what are we talking about here

an outspoken know-it-all

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I sound like a goose

Honk honk

I'm alium

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pointsofdata posted:

Imagine just detecting it though. What would that do to society? Are there any short stories about us detecting something like the arecibo message. I feel like it has the potential to be super frustrating as well as cool.

no, sadly this is completely unexplored in fiction

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was like a 3 day period where we thought we detected a Dyson Sphere, before someone came up with a better explanation for the data. No one really cared.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2qexc4yw-s

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TOOT BOOT posted:

There was like a 3 day period where we thought we detected a Dyson Sphere, before someone came up with a better explanation for the data. No one really cared.

nobody actually thought that was a Dyson swarm

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

indigi posted:

nobody actually thought that was a Dyson swarm

it took long enough to rule out a dyson swarm that it reached the mainstream news

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

no, sadly this is completely unexplored in fiction

I was asking for examples of that specific thing, not suggesting it doesn't exist

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

it took long enough to rule out a dyson swarm that it reached the mainstream news

yes but the astronomers who seriously thought it might be a dyson swarm are likely in the single to low double digits

some sites still point out that it could be such a construction despite the light spectra pretty conclusively disproving it

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

I was asking for examples of that specific thing, not suggesting it doesn't exist

Contact by Carl Sagan is about this. there's both a novel and a film!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mediaphage posted:

yes but the astronomers who seriously thought it might be a dyson swarm are likely in the single to low double digits

some sites still point out that it could be such a construction despite the light spectra pretty conclusively disproving it

I’d bet that the number of astronomers who gave it more than a 10% chance at any point is zero. like even the most optimistic alien-wanters knew it was very unlikely at best

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

indigi posted:

I’d bet that the number of astronomers who gave it more than a 10% chance at any point is zero. like even the most optimistic alien-wanters knew it was very unlikely at best

i’d agree

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pointsofdata posted:

i know, im just being a jerk

Glorgnole posted:

but yeah most of Contact is about how humanity reacts to the signal, various schools of thought, etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also,

haveblue posted:

you say that as if the news dont regularly report poo poo that was disproven decades ago

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
watching commando and getting contact zooted just by watching

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
canada gooses are alien invaders

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Glorgnole posted:

yeah charlie sheen was great in that

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
deeply fascist movie but drat if it isn’t fun

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah charlie sheen was great in that

rofl

i was like wait what is he in that? i dont remember that at all

so i googled, and welp:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i watched contact again recently and it's kind of quaint. the in-universe fox news talking point is that the message must be from god, and the big argument is whether it's appropriate to build the machine to talk to god in the first place, and then whether they should send jodie foster, an atheist, to represent humanity.

i feel like if it took place today, fox news would be saying in total seriousness that the machine is george soros' gay ray and turning it on will invert everyone's genders and make your babies come out muslim and blow up santa claus.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 13, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

so i finally decided to watch better call saul after not getting pulled in the first time

it rules

the lawyer that bob odenkirk is up against is named rich wanker lmao

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i watched contact again recently and it's kind of quaint. the in-universe fox news talking point is that the message must be from god, and the big argument is whether it's appropriate to build the machine to talk to god in the first place, and then whether they should send jodie foster, an atheist, to represent humanity.

i feel like if it took place today, fox news would be saying in total seriousness that the machine is george soros' gay ray and turning it on will invert everyone's genders and make your babies come out muslim and blow up santa claus.

the got the christian suicide bomber part right at least lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

the message must be from god, and the big argument is whether it's appropriate to build the machine to talk to god in the first place

this premise could make a pretty great sci fi (or fantasy I guess) story itself. seems like something Ted Chiang would probably write

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

so i finally decided to watch better call saul after not getting pulled in the first time

it rules

the lawyer that bob odenkirk is up against is named rich wanker lmao

it's an incredibly slow burn and everyone i've recommended it to has bounced off. but it's the best tv show on the planet