Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ravendas posted:

The combos you can get are so great.

Last time I played I made this ship that was so tremendously annoying I took a picture.

With neutron bombs so just a teleporting warcrime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Aramoro posted:

Last time I played I made this ship that was so tremendously annoying I took a picture.

With neutron bombs so just a teleporting warcrime.

Just needs cloaking on there as the cherry on the top. Yeah, Jump Drive is the tech I was describing, it just fundamentally breaks a rule of the game for one person for one ship, if it makes its way into the game. Those impassable borders aren't quite so impassable anymore.

At least it's balanced by being slow on its own, so you need another drive to capitalize on it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bottom Liner posted:

If I could figure out how to do this Roads and Boats would become just the donkey and tree.

Yeah see the difference is that BrOaDtS needs the entire picture

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

I assume you got a new production 1849. I'm not sure how thick the tiles are, but they might still fit in coin organizer sheets, which I used for the laminated tiles from copies before AAG's fancy operation got spun up. If not, you could probably split them into baggies with each shape (K, X, chicken foot) and then just toss the baggie with the appropriate track shape and let the person sort through for the unique tile they are looking for.

1849 is one that really benefits from a lot of plays because I think the meta of that one has shifted the most for me personally. The train rush especially can be brutal once a company starts in green and makes it to that second OR and everyone gets in trouble immediately

I saw that someone suggested that too! From my perspective it looked like it would be annoying to slide the tiles in and out but if you say otherwise I can give it a shot. I wanted to get some shallow bead organizer trays but if you or anyone else has any suggestions or links I'd take them. Problem is searching for this stuff in the Great White North - it feels like most of the links to Amazon or Michael's just don't exist or are hilariously expensive in comparison.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I finally tried Patchwork and I've returned to this thread after like 18 months to let you all know I'm very mad that the tiles don't fit together nicely on the player boards. Sad!!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Fellis posted:

1849 is one that really benefits from a lot of plays because I think the meta of that one has shifted the most for me personally. The train rush especially can be brutal once a company starts in green and makes it to that second OR and everyone gets in trouble immediately

I'm only 2 down with one currently ongoing, and this is going to sound dumb, but I really didn't realize how important good tokening is on the game. It's always important in 18xx, but because there are no 3 spot browns and the track can be expensive, figuring out where to put down is a hard skill to develop.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Has anyone tried Jump Drive or New Frontiers, which are based on Race for the Galaxy?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

theroachman posted:

We encountered a kingmaking situation in our first playthrough which is a total deal breaker for me.

Isn't that game explicitly about king making and deal breaking, literally and figuratively?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

I saw that someone suggested that too! From my perspective it looked like it would be annoying to slide the tiles in and out but if you say otherwise I can give it a shot. I wanted to get some shallow bead organizer trays but if you or anyone else has any suggestions or links I'd take them. Problem is searching for this stuff in the Great White North - it feels like most of the links to Amazon or Michael's just don't exist or are hilariously expensive in comparison.

Buy a 3d printer fellow frostback :grin:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm more about king murking games personally

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

The Eyes Have It posted:

Buy a 3d printer fellow frostback :grin:

I know there's a thread somewhere else and I asked a while ago but honestly, if you've got one or know about them recommend me one because I am this close to doing it. Between this addiction hobby and D&D, the amount of stuff I'd print is absurd.

Carillon posted:

I'm only 2 down with one currently ongoing, and this is going to sound dumb, but I really didn't realize how important good tokening is on the game. It's always important in 18xx, but because there are no 3 spot browns and the track can be expensive, figuring out where to put down is a hard skill to develop.

Yeah I found that out the hard way. Tokening is super tight. Also no one really looked over the value of spots until too late and one player wasn't using the right number on the Eastern port and was short-changing herself and her shareholders badly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

I know there's a thread somewhere else and I asked a while ago but honestly, if you've got one or know about them recommend me one because I am this close to doing it. Between this addiction hobby and D&D, the amount of stuff I'd print is absurd.

The OP of this thread has a basic, foul-mouthed workflow description for 3D printing to help explain how they work and what they do: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912612

Here is the actual 3D printing thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365193 but the OP is badly out of date. The ongoing discussion is good though.

Easy answer: Buy a Prusa printer and follow the directions. Less expensive answer: Buy one of the popular model Creality machines and accept a higher amount of DIY and self-determination in your life. There is loads of cheap trash out there that will only make your life harder for no reason (well, no good reason.)

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Bottom Liner posted:

Starcraft is right there behind you and you still forgot it :v:

I don't know about the Starcraft board game, but The Ares Project is a very good tabletop simulation of playing Starcraft.

Also, Rising Sun is a pretty good DOAM game.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah I found that out the hard way. Tokening is super tight. Also no one really looked over the value of spots until too late and one player wasn't using the right number on the Eastern port and was short-changing herself and her shareholders badly.

The offboard values are a little weird, they change one phase later than you'd expect compared to how most other 18xx games treat them. But yes, tokening is quite important, Catania in particular is probably the most important location in the game.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I finally tried Patchwork and I've returned to this thread after like 18 months to let you all know I'm very mad that the tiles don't fit together nicely on the player boards. Sad!!

I’m mostly surprised that the game comes with lovely cardboard buttons instead of an assortment of real buttons. That seems super obvious to me. I do think for the price that the quality of the pieces is quite lackluster. If the technology to make a jigsaw puzzle is so readily available, why is making simpler Tetris pieces that actually fit nicely not feasible?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Has anyone tried Jump Drive or New Frontiers, which are based on Race for the Galaxy?

I have played Jump Drive, but not in a while such that I don't remember the rules even after re-skimming the rulebook. I remember it being aggressively mediocre, but at least it was short. I was willing to play it since it only took like 15 minutes. Can't remember what was wrong more specifically than that.

Jewmanji posted:

I’m mostly surprised that the game comes with lovely cardboard buttons instead of an assortment of real buttons. That seems super obvious to me. I do think for the price that the quality of the pieces is quite lackluster. If the technology to make a jigsaw puzzle is so readily available, why is making simpler Tetris pieces that actually fit nicely not feasible?

BGG Store has you covered.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

I have played Jump Drive, but not in a while such that I don't remember the rules even after re-skimming the rulebook. I remember it being aggressively mediocre, but at least it was short. I was willing to play it since it only took like 15 minutes. Can't remember what was wrong more specifically than that.

This 100%. It was kinda boring and bland.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Jump Drive is ok, it's like a way stripped down RftG that lasts about 6 turns / 10 minutes. Seems singnificantly more random due to the brevity, but on the other hand it's over quick and you can just play again. It's a much better filler than a lot of games of similar length.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Isn't that game explicitly about king making and deal breaking, literally and figuratively?

Yeah, well, what can I say. Sometimes you get hyped. I traded it for something else (can't remember what but it was long out of print) so it's all good.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Is it anything like this I posted on BGG a few years ago?

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1676461/article/27793555#27793555

Mine came cut very weirdly, and they sent me a new set of sheets.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Arrrrgh. I got Jaws of the Lion for 30 bucks from Target, and I was finally going to crack it open and get it going this weekend, and I come to find out my box was mispacked hilariously bad and I have 3 Red Guard notepads and one Demolitionist.

They only had a form on their website for replacing Gloomhaven stuff, but I sent them an email and hopefully I can get this fixed up, cause goddamn. Reddit says it's a common thing, too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'd just take it back to Target and exchange it like anything else bought from a big box store that has an issue.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Played two-ish solo games of Stardew Valley, using the excellent TTS mod that just came out. I have never played a game before that a) endeared itself so completely to me and b) made me think of half-a-dozen obvious house rules on the first play.

It's very weird. Would I like it as much if I didn't have so much affection for the PC game? Probably not! The game does, at least in solo, have a massive issue with randomness, but everything about the little minigames and presentation was so charming I couldn't help but have a good time.

To give the thread an example of how much randomness is involved, here's a simple example of what it takes to reveal and complete one goal (of six, plus four that you start with already knowing):
  • To reveal one of the community bundles (endgame goals) costs one heart, a currency that's only obtained (or almost entirely, there might be a few cards I didn't see that give you hearts) by making friends with the villagers.
  • Making friends with villagers involves using one of your actions (of the 32 total you get as a solo player) to draw a card from the Villager deck, then seeing if you can give them a gift. Each villager has a list of "loved" and "hated" items, plus a birthday season (+1 heart if you befriend them during it). At the moment you draw them, you have to have on hand at least one non-hated resource to gain them as a friend and gain a heart. Loved items are worth +1, which means that a given villager can swing from being worth 0 to 3 hearts based almost entirely on random chance. Obviously you have better odds if you're holding more resources (I'd say a roughly 50% chance of getting at least one heart) but it's still an entire action that can either grant you massive efficiency on the next step or waste your action entirely.
  • You then have to take another action to spend hearts, 1:1 to reveal hidden goals or reroll impossible goals - because you can get things like "donate one Spring forage item" and if it's already Summer, tough poo poo, replace it or you can't win. Since there are six goals to reveal and hearts are hard to come by (and I think the amount you have to spend scales with more players too) this means that you pretty much have to befriend villagers really early on or else risk being stuck with un-finishable objectives.
  • Let's say you roll a goal of donating one legendary fish per player (and again, this is just one of the six hidden objectives). You now are subject to even more RNG: The fish track is populated by random draw from a large pool, of which only four are legendary. It only refreshes when you successfully fish or occasionally from start-of-turn events.
  • Fishing means rolling three of the special dice and matching symbols to fish on the track. Since each fish can "belong" to one of three fishing spots, that means that you are trying to hit a specific roll from a very small subset of fish that you can catch from wherever you are. If you get diced, again, tough poo poo, maybe you can grab some trash and clear a space in the track, but odds are you just end up with nothing for your action.
  • I'd say it seems likely that at least one legendary fish will show up just through the fish track's automatic refreshes but there's no real way to hurry it up or help catch it without starting the game with the fishing rod and upgrading it (taking away money and end-turn actions) or being willing to constantly waste your time fishing for little reward. The timeline is tight enough that every wasted turn really does matter (might be better in MP, since multiple players can have different items and class abilities).

Even though I just wrote this stupid tirade AND have a bunch of house rules I might insist upon using in the future, I'm still probably going to get it when it's reprinted for a few reasons: as random and annoying as the game can be, it does play really smoothly, and the individual minigames are all fun in different ways (even if it's mostly just differing ways to interpret dice rolls). And of course, the art is gorgeous. I dunno, I'm torn - but I'll be playing it again right after I finish this post.

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 13, 2021

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
My 9-year-old: Daddy, can you teach me to play Everdell?
Me: Er, maybe in a couple of years
My 9-year-old: *Looks disappointed*
Me: Eh, OK then. *teaches game*
My 9-year-old: *Maxes out her city size and beats me 38-36*
Me: Um, well done!

To be fair, I was less concerned about her not being able to learn the rules and more concerned about it giving her severe AP, for which she has shown a propensity in the past. Didn't seem to happen here - she just aced it and won, then told me she thought it was a well-designed game (she liked the building-critter chains).

She also got me to teach her heads-up poker recently.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

To be fair, I was less concerned about her not being able to learn the rules and more concerned about it giving her severe AP, for which she has shown a propensity in the past. Didn't seem to happen here - she just aced it and won, then told me she thought it was a well-designed game (she liked the building-critter chains).

How much does she like Everdell? There's a KS on atm for a bunch of new poo poo.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starlinggames/everdell-mistleaf

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bottom Liner posted:

I'd just take it back to Target and exchange it like anything else bought from a big box store that has an issue.

I already punched and organized everything is part of the issue. I legitimately do not want to have to repunch 8 or 9 boards again. I'd almost rather just get a scan of the right sheet and print it out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

How much does she like Everdell? There's a KS on atm for a bunch of new poo poo.

Kids don't need to know about expansions or Kickstarter. :ssh:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PlaneGuy posted:

I wonder who did they lose to? The rest of the company? The author? Who said "NO, ALL WHITES"? I wanna know so I can glare at them.

They meant they "lost" sight of making diversity a priority.

It's very possible it just slipped through the cracks. That doesn't mean it's okay, but people who are busy and juggling multiple priorities can let their unconscious biases create blind spots.

From a "default Caucasian" worldview there's nothing wrong with that art - you see it and say "looks good" and move on. This discussion made me realize when I think of "cavemen", I picture them as all white.

Brains are weird and often lovely.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 13, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

John Dyne posted:

I already punched and organized everything is part of the issue. I legitimately do not want to have to repunch 8 or 9 boards again. I'd almost rather just get a scan of the right sheet and print it out.
Yeah it's online if all the other stuff is right.

https://lh3.google.com/u/0/d/1l_egXKGx8e57YpvU9mIQon50H0bt_8Cz=w787-h589-p-k-nu-iv1

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Crackbone posted:

They meant they "lost" sight of making diversity a priority.

It's very possible it just slipped through the cracks. That doesn't mean it's okay, but people who are busy and juggling multiple priorities can let their unconscious biases create blind spots.

From a "default Caucasian" worldview there's nothing wrong with that art - you see it and say "looks good" and move on. This discussion made me realize when I think of "cavemen", I picture them as all white.

Brains are weird and often lovely.

Yes it's sometimes difficult to realize that just because you always see white people in games doesn't mean that you should. They decided to add red and blonde hair to the characters and 'naturally' they were white. It takes thought to recognize that what's familiar isn't always what's appropriate.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Infinitum posted:

A lot it seems. She already wants to try Bellfaire, which my wife received for her birthday only a few days ago and hasn't been opened yet. Wants it all NOW, in true child fashion. Personally I like Everdell enough to grab an expansion (as does my wife, hence the present) but probably not enough to collect ALL THE THINGS.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
Any opinions on Super Fantasy Brawl? Thinking of getting on with the expansion KS.

I like that there's effort in having a real area control element and an incentive to rush to the middle. I like the cartoonish WoW-like aesthetic. I like the pick 3 system, no points and no factions. I can see drafting characters working well, seems like a good way of maximizing variety from a modest pool of characters.

I'm hoping that the card-and-resource system makes for interesting constrained choices, but it could also just put the game on rails. Not so hot about the overproduced miniatures, it seems ridiculous to pay $200 shipped for 24 characters.

Ultimately I don't know how much I need this if I already have stuff like Warhammer Underworlds and BattleCON and Arcadia Quest.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gaebril posted:

KS
overproduced miniatures
$200 shipped for 24 characters.

Those are all red flags, and you've never played it. Their back catalog all seems like fine but unremarkable games with lots of expansions and plastic.

Just on all that I think you'd be better off passing. As an alternative Aristeia! seems very similar but available in lots of smaller chunks (and at retail no less).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Gaebril posted:

Any opinions on Super Fantasy Brawl? Thinking of getting on with the expansion KS.

I like that there's effort in having a real area control element and an incentive to rush to the middle. I like the cartoonish WoW-like aesthetic. I like the pick 3 system, no points and no factions. I can see drafting characters working well, seems like a good way of maximizing variety from a modest pool of characters.

I'm hoping that the card-and-resource system makes for interesting constrained choices, but it could also just put the game on rails. Not so hot about the overproduced miniatures, it seems ridiculous to pay $200 shipped for 24 characters.

Ultimately I don't know how much I need this if I already have stuff like Warhammer Underworlds and BattleCON and Arcadia Quest.

I've never played it but I did see its just become available on BGA so you could give it a play there.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Opinion on 18MEx (1st edition) vs. 18Chesapeake for a group that has never played an 18XX before but is otherwise very comfortable with heavy games. I can trade for either.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Opinion on 18MEx (1st edition) vs. 18Chesapeake for a group that has never played an 18XX before but is otherwise very comfortable with heavy games. I can trade for either.

If you have a group dedicated to learning, just get whatever sounds most interesting to everyone. But Ches is an easier introduction.

Or your group could trial them both online before committing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

My daughter is almost 9 and I believe most kids around that age, with help from a board gaming adult, can play most games in the 12+ to 14+ range. If they can read, it's just up to personality and patience, and kids have varying levels of the latter. I really feel like the recommended ages past 8+ are so parents don't review-bomb games they bought with no research that their kids can't handle.

Mine is obsessed with Forbidden Desert right now, so I bought her Forbidden Sky for her birthday. I'd get some flavor of Pandemic if it didn't feel kind of inappropriate right now. I'll take any other recommendations for coop games in the Pandemic-like category!

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
We rented a beach house with some friends, and their 7 year old boy took all the cards for Quarriors to bed with him. Stood next to my bed at 6:30 and told me about all the good combos you can make. Some kids just get it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Megasabin posted:

Ches is easier to teach but a much worse game. I would pick Mex as it's got real legs, and I believe the complexity of the family is overstated, especially compared with heavy euros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ches is easier to teach but a much worse game. I would pick Mex as it's got real legs, and I believe the complexity of the family is overstated, especially compared with heavy euros.

I like Ches and have taught it often. I have not played Mex however.