Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

The boonies. Asian supermarkets aren't exactly in high supply here. I'm lucky when I can get a bottle of mirin in a grocery store somewhere. I'm not driving an hour just for some bean paste.

I've become so accustomed to seeing basic staples like miso, ponzu and chili paste in Wal Mart and grocery stores that I just assumed it was standard on shelves across the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

I've become so accustomed to seeing basic staples like miso, ponzu and chili paste in Wal Mart and grocery stores that I just assumed it was standard on shelves across the country.
I'm European and we have a much, much smaller population of Asian expatriates than you are probably used to. Tons of Middle-eastern stores and such, so when I feel like a nice goat roast or some rose-flavoured lokum I'm all set, but Asian food (and specifically stuff that's actually from Asia, not Western-made knockoffs) are in much shorter supply.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm European and we have a much, much smaller population of Asian expatriates than you are probably used to. Tons of Middle-eastern stores and such, so when I feel like a nice goat roast or some rose-flavoured lokum I'm all set, but Asian food (and specifically stuff that's actually from Asia, not Western-made knockoffs) are in much shorter supply.

Being American, we have fewer Middle Eastern. There's one grocer in town but no restaurants, but I've got 3 Japanese places, one Korean, a couple Thai and a dozen Chinese places and there's even more options for Mexican within a few miles from my house.

Also, we're accustomed to driving. An hour drive to go shopping or for dinner is normal around here and a 50 mile radius could get me a few hundred examples of any cuisine on the planet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Walla posted:

Being American, we have fewer Middle Eastern. There's one grocer in town but no restaurants, but I've got 3 Japanese places, one Korean, a couple Thai and a dozen Chinese places and there's even more options for Mexican within a few miles from my house.

Also, we're accustomed to driving. An hour drive to go shopping or for dinner is normal around here and a 50 mile radius could get me a few hundred examples of any cuisine on the planet.
Yeah, the sheer scale of the US is one of the more difficult things for people from my side of the pond to wrap their heads around. The sheer population density of Europe would be the most difficult thing to really conceptualize for you guys, I think. I can drive from one side of my entire country to the other in five hours if I really want to. An hour of driving feels like a much greater distance when there are at least four different million-plus inhabitant metropolises within that distance of my home town no matter in which direction you go. There are no places where there are just no people, so you plan your life around how many towns you have to pass through to get somewhere, not how many miles.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Being in and around London there is everything everywhere but there is a massive Korean community nearby with like 3 different full size supermarkets. Theres another massive Asian supermarket near my work as well as a beautiful middle eastern patisserie :discourse:

The only things I cant seem to get around here is some proper Mexican food or a decent bagel for the love of god

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So in Control, I took a big break and I kind of forgot. When she is talking to blue-glowy circle, is she talking to us (as in talking to me, in her head controlling the actions and doing the magic stuff), is it an entity I'm not privy to hearing except through my own presumed projection of it's response, or is it still ambiguous at this point? I'm only just now busting out Jesse's brother. I just can't remember if this glowy circle entity was laid out or not

edit: lol I was just fighting some crazy boss and i killed it the same time the ground crumbled or it shot me through it and i died into the underside of the level void while getting an achievement.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 13, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I really love Asian food, so I envy you guys there. Not that Middle-eastern or Mediterranean foods are bad, but I enjoy the flavour profiles of most Asian dishes more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
neither here or there, but i preferred dutch cheap chinese restaurants to american cheap chinese restaurants. i think they used better oil. holland also inherited a lot of fantastic food from its colonies.

i've mentioned it before, but i salivate every time i'm reminded of this thing

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Khanstant posted:

So in Control, I took a big break and I kind of forgot. When she is talking to blue-glowy circle, is she talking to us (as in talking to me, in her head controlling the actions and doing the magic stuff), is it an entity I'm not privy to hearing except through my own presumed projection of it's response, or is it still ambiguous at this point? I'm only just now busting out Jesse's brother. I just can't remember if this glowy circle entity was laid out or not

It's established fairly early on that Polaris is a sentient entity that got stuck in Jesses' head while helping to deal with the Altered World Event in her hometown. The same event where her brother got grabbed by the Bureau.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the sheer scale of the US is one of the more difficult things for people from my side of the pond to wrap their heads around. The sheer population density of Europe would be the most difficult thing to really conceptualize for you guys, I think. I can drive from one side of my entire country to the other in five hours if I really want to. An hour of driving feels like a much greater distance when there are at least four different million-plus inhabitant metropolises within that distance of my home town no matter in which direction you go. There are no places where there are just no people, so you plan your life around how many towns you have to pass through to get somewhere, not how many miles.

I'm in one of the more compact states so it's not as difficult for me in Maryland as say Missouri. It's still not the same scale, but until you hit the farms on the other side of the Chesapeake you're never more than a quarter mile from another human for hundreds of miles. And my state is roughly the size of your country in terms of driving.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Rinkles posted:

neither here or there, but i preferred dutch cheap chinese restaurants to american cheap chinese restaurants. i think they used better oil. holland also inherited a lot of fantastic food from its colonies.

what is happening here rinkles

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

wuggles posted:

what is happening here rinkles

And why?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Walla posted:

I'm in one of the more compact states so it's not as difficult for me in Maryland as say Missouri. It's still not the same scale, but until you hit the farms on the other side of the Chesapeake you're never more than a quarter mile from another human for hundreds of miles. And my state is roughly the size of your country in terms of driving.
In terms of area, my country is roughly the size of Montana. The entire state of Montana does not have the population of just the two biggest cities in my immediate vicinity. I did the math once and if the US had the same population density as my home country, your national population would be 2.4 billion people. "Flyover country" is a thing we just don't have. I kinda envy you your sheer amount of wilderness, honestly. There is no place to be really alone within a hundred miles of me. I kinda want to spend a month in America and just spend that time trekking through a forest all by myself, someday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm scared

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm actually not a big fan of Chinese food, but having a restaurant run by a Japanese/Korean immigrant means I can get good bulgogi and sushi in the same meal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bamischijf

A bamischijf is a Dutch snack consisting of a slice of bami, breaded and deep-fried. It is a Dutch modification of a Chinese-Indonesian noodle dish bakmi goreng. Nasischijf is a similar dish made with nasi goreng.

it was loving delicious

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I do love me some bami goreng, but I'm not sure I would want to eat it deep-fried. Then again, the Dutch deep-fry everything, kinda like Americans.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Sounds like the American version of yakisoba pan tbh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

wuggles posted:

Sounds like the American version of yakisoba pan tbh
It's pretty much literally that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rinkles posted:

hello, yes, I would try this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
looks like a crab cake without the weird fake kinglers inside

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rinkles posted:

The breading on this looks delicious, but I would put something else inside. Maybe smoked haddock with a cheese sauce centre.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

The breading on this looks delicious, but I would put something else inside. Maybe smoked haddock with a cheese sauce centre.
Camembert is a very common filling. I have a few of those in my fridge right now. What you do is to bake them and then serve them hot while the camembert is still melty, together with gooseberry sauce. It's delicious.

Khanstant posted:

looks like a crab cake without the weird fake kinglers inside
I am a total weirdo, so I actually really love fish cake. Well, Fischfrikadellen, but same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

breading other foods has to be one of mankind's greatest inventions

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yakisoba pan doesn't look or sound appealing. Some Americans do spaghetti sandwiches which are basically the same thing and I never liked those either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Walla posted:

Yakisoba pan doesn't look or sound appealing. Some Americans do spaghetti sandwiches which are basically the same thing and I never liked those either.
It's carb on carb, which just really doesn't sound appealing to me either.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I bounced off of Strikers hard. It just feels too loose for me in terms of a beat-em-up, and I wish it was more tight and mechanical - I don't need it to be DMC/Bayonetta but at least something closer to Nier. The part I quit at was during the first infiltration which is a long endurance gauntlet. Normally it's okay to blow spells all the time because you can regen to full HP/SP at any save point of which there are tons, but not during this. Spells are the only way to interrupt enemy spells, so if you don't want to waste your MP (you do not have a ton of max MP, maybe 10 casts total) you have to totally disengage from the fight because enemy spell indicators are impossible to see underneath all the enemies and it's hard to reliably dodge them. I think I was supposed to buy way more healing items or something, because I got to like the fourth boss fight in the gauntlet and everyone was at 1 HP and basically no MP and I just couldn't win, so I had to choose to exit the gauntlet which puts you back at the very beginning before a ten-minute survival fight and I didn't feel like doing all that again.

e: there's one mechanical exception to this which is Yusuke having a Revengeance counterattack move which is meant for bosses but doesn't work on certain attacks or any spells, which means it's barely useful because 90% of the time bosses are spamming massive AOE spells you have to run away from anyways

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 13, 2021

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the best part of yakisoba pan is the pickled ginger imo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looper posted:

the best part of yakisoba pan is the pickled ginger imo
Another thing I really wish I could just buy here. I've had it with sushi and it's amazing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rinkles posted:

Sir/Madam, your burger appears to be infested

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
thx for the Polaris reminder, i remember that now

Cardiovorax posted:

It's carb on carb, which just really doesn't sound appealing to me either.

yeah but garlic bread isnt uncommon with spaghetti dishes here either

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I bounced off of Strikers hard. It just feels too loose for me in terms of a beat-em-up, and I wish it was more tight and mechanical - I don't need it to be DMC/Bayonetta but at least something closer to Nier. The part I quit at was during the first infiltration which is a long endurance gauntlet. Normally it's okay to blow spells all the time because you can regen to full HP/SP at any save point of which there are tons, but not during this. Spells are the only way to interrupt enemy spells, so if you don't want to waste your MP (you do not have a ton of max MP, maybe 10 casts total) you have to totally disengage from the fight because enemy spell indicators are impossible to see underneath all the enemies and it's hard to reliably dodge them. I think I was supposed to buy way more healing items or something, because I got to like the fourth boss fight in the gauntlet and everyone was at 1 HP and basically no MP and I just couldn't win, so I had to choose to exit the gauntlet which puts you back at the very beginning before a ten-minute survival fight and I didn't feel like doing all that again.

e: there's one mechanical exception to this which is Yusuke having a Revengeance counterattack move which is meant for bosses but doesn't work on certain attacks or any spells, which means it's barely useful because 90% of the time bosses are spamming massive AOE spells you have to run away from anyways

AFAIK, Yusuke's counter only works on normal attacks (no-name attacks with a wave animation). Most bosses have these with really long wind-ups so it's pretty useful. Later on there's a BOND skill that lets the party Perfect Dodge these attacks. ( *joker voice* "weak")

And yeah, the biggest thing that might stymie one coming from Persona 5 is that a lot of things are "free" since they don't take up turns anymore. Ammo is free (replenishes after every encounter), and items are "free actions" so it's viable to spell spam and chug potions while you chain stun. I think I'm about halfway through the game and I literally cart around dozens of meals and drinks into the Jails and I still have half a million yen. This makes items a lot more useful and worth doing the rounds in the item shops and vending machines to stock up.

Also

The big thing is environmental hazards, they do tons of free damage and conveniently key off weaknesses, the encounter design is basically accounting for those I think

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

As appetizers, though, not as part of the dish. Or maybe that's another American thing? Italian restaurants usually just serve some ciabatta and garlic butter while you wait for your food here. I usually don't eat a lot of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rinkles posted:

It could be the oil, there's an extremely common oil in chinese cooking which is banned by the FDA (probably wrongly; it's based on old science which has been more or less overturned). Substituting that is like substituting out olive oil in Italian food--you can do it, but it won't be quite the same dish in the end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

It could be the oil, there's an extremely common oil in chinese cooking which is banned by the FDA (probably wrongly; it's based on old science which has been more or less overturned). Substituting that is like substituting out olive oil in Italian food--you can do it, but it won't be quite the same dish in the end.
Do you remember what it is called, maybe?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Khanstant posted:

There's a difference between a piece of bread and butter on the side and making a sandwich of it, as far as texture and my taste buds are concerned. I can understand why people like it, it's just not for me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cardiovorax posted:

Do you remember what it is called, maybe?

Caiziyou. Oil from roasted seeds of the unfortunately-named rapeseed plant. I know you're not American but for Americans listening, as far as I'm aware this is the only way to import it into the US, and they're sold out:

https://themalamarket.com/collections/regional-chinese-sauces-pickles/products/caizi-you-sichuan-roasted-rapeseed-oil

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cardiovorax posted:

As appetizers, though, not as part of the dish. Or maybe that's another American thing? Italian restaurants usually just serve some ciabatta and garlic butter while you wait for your food here. I usually don't eat a lot of it.

Yakisoba Pan feels very much a snack food, like a bag of chips -- if you were to make a meal out of it, probably pair with a protein/vegetable-heavy dish.

I don't think I would like going to an Italian restaurant and just have spaghetti either

Walla posted:

There's a difference between a piece of bread and butter on the side and making a sandwich of it, as far as texture and my taste buds are concerned. I can understand why people like it, it's just not for me.

The british "chip butty" ...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Americans will usually have a piece of bread and butter with their pasta. It's generally used to sop up any remaining sauce after the meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Caiziyou. Oil from roasted seeds of the unfortunately-named rapeseed plant. I know you're not American but for Americans listening, as far as I'm aware this is the only way to import it into the US, and they're sold out:
Ah, that explains a lot. Rapeseed oil is actually super common here. It's one of the most commonly grown oil plants. There is actually a good reason why the FDA used to prohibit its usage - wild rapeseed, or Raps, as we call it, contains a lot of toxic glucosinolate, which is potentially harmful above a certain dosage. Modern rapeseed crops, or double-zero crops as they're called here, are nearly entirely free of glucosinolate. It's a very good and entirely healthy kind of cooking oil that you can get in basically every European grocery store.

Walla posted:

Americans will usually have a piece of bread and butter with their pasta. It's generally used to sop up any remaining sauce after the meal.
Interesting to know! Definitely not a thing here.