Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

And here I wss thinking nothing would beat Metroid Other M' s creation

Eh, other m was a messup in terms of story and samus' chaeacter but it still is a metroidvania at least. Left alive seems like it failed on all fronts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i would buy a a switch remake of brave fencer musashi tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwy6bGzTKMc

i'm not sure there's anything funnier in gba jrpgs than how obvious it is shining soul 2 was composed by masafumi takada and shining soul 1 wasn't

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the bit in the last Fawful fight of Superstar Saga is one of the handful of times I’ve actually laughed out loud at a joke in a game instead of being very amused, idk if deliberately funny counts tho.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwy6bGzTKMc

i'm not sure there's anything funnier in gba jrpgs than how obvious it is shining soul 2 was composed by masafumi takada and shining soul 1 wasn't

the shop/level up screen beat has been seared into my soul since i was like 14

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

mandatory lesbian posted:

Left alive seems like it failed on all fronts

I see what you did there

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Finally, the remake of The Bouncer we've all been waiting for!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

loquacius posted:

Completely different subject, I'm watching a GDQ run of Dragon Age: Origins and it is really striking how much BioWare ripped off ASOIAF juuuuust before the TV show became a thing and they wouldn't be able to get away with it anymore

like the darkspawn are white walkers but orcs, and the grey wardens are night's watch but also witchers

the funniest thing to me about origins is how it tries to be DARK and GRITTY with TOUGH CHOICES but for almost every important choice there’s a slightly more complicated third option that winds up solving things with no bad side effects

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 13, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CYBEReris posted:

mario & luigi were good games but i missed having a larger playable cast with a handful of originals

What happened to the franchise is a shame; Dream Team and Paper Jam just didn't have the charm of Superstar Saga or Bowser's Inside Story.

loquacius posted:

Paper Mario is good, even the new one with puzzle battles which I played to completion, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't nerd out like a Tumblr teen if they announced another Mario RPG

Eh. Even putting the gameplay aside (which is divisive but I don't think you can say is objectively good or bad; I think it's a bad sequel, at least) I think the games lose out massively on the charm factor by just being filled to the brim with generic characters instead of the weird and colourful cast the first three had.

dmboogie posted:

the funniest thing to me about origins is how it tries to be DARK and GRITTY with TOUGH CHOICES but for almost every important choice there’s a slightly more complicated third option that winds up solving things with no bad side effects

I can't think of a single game that uses "mature" in it's sales pitch that actually is such. It makes it come off like two kids in a trench coat. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

dmboogie posted:

You have to condemn a child to be permanently possessed by a demon and then lie to his parents in order to unlock a petty cool subclass, but after you do that you can reload from an earlier save and not be a complete bastard and still have access to the subclass.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

dmboogie posted:

I remember that they kept on bringing up persistent gore on your characters clothing/skin as a major feature for the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember that being utterly ridiculous in DA2 like you'd finish a fight and during a conversation you'd still be covered head to toe, like you'd at least wipe your face off surely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I remember that they kept on bringing up persistent gore on your characters clothing/skin as a major feature for the game.

It's very weird, but I think it was one of the first games you could have blood splash on your character and it would actually show up at all.

Did make cutscenes weird though.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Another weird thing about DA2 was how bodies didn't seem to leave areas, which technically makes sense, but the game takes place over 10 years. And there is one moment early game where the anime swordsman elf takes over a mansion that you had to fight through and makes it his own home.

And no matter how many times you revisit him, the 20+ corpses stay in his house, meaning the dude just lived with a bunch of bloody corpses in his living room for a literal decade.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
And mess with the feng shui?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"Power Gloves: Greatly increases damage but reduces attack."

there are a lot of silly things about sonic chronicles but their decision to call the accuracy and evasion stats attack and defense is probably what annoys me the most

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Looper posted:

"Power Gloves: Greatly increases damage but reduces attack."

there are a lot of silly things about sonic chronicles but their decision to call the accuracy and evasion stats attack and defense is probably what annoys me the most

That's just a D&Dism creeping in.

The blood thing in the Dragon Age games was especially dumb because Darkspawn blood is supposed to be poisonous and drive non-Grey Wardens crazy. But your non-Grey Warden party members can just bathe in the stuff with absolutely no consequences.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

especially great towards the end of the game when you go to the royal castle and duel the traitor lord who's been trying to kill you the whole time, and the camera cuts to his daughter the queen looking on while he says "you'll always be my little girl" but then there's the sound of his head getting chopped off and she just gets covered with his blood

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

Recruitable Blue :eyepop:

Also recruitable Red. :toot:

Since they're adding cut content I wonder if this means we'll see the dating minigame(????) that Red was apparently going to have.

Jazerus posted:

yokai watch came along when pokemon was sort of faltering - XY was almost certainly the least-well-received generation of pokemon games so far - and did really well at being a monster collecting game that wasn't pokemon. since all of pokemon's original competitors - digimon, monster rancher, dragon quest monsters, etc. - tapped out a long time ago, there was a lot of room in the market for it. i'm not sure that it was ever very popular with adults though.

speaking of monster rancher, a bit of googling for this post revealed to me that monster rancher 1 & 2 got JP-only remasters on the switch with no plans at all for localization anywhere else. feels bad

X/Y was about as well received as most other Pokemon games and sold just as well.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You could always get her to try Rogue Galaxy :v:.

(I legit like Rogue Galaxy, but it absolutely has problems. Looking at you, literally all of Juraika)

Really? What could possibly be wrong with Rogue Galaxy??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhJfg9IxpI8

:suicide:

FanaticalMilk posted:

Once Square gets done remaking/updating all the old Mana/Saga games, they should get around to a Magical Vacation & Starsign package.

Secret of Evermore remaster or we riot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i see... the problem with rogue galaxy... is that it has jokes.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
who knew a laurel and hardy routine could be too anime

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Agean90 posted:

i would buy a a switch remake of brave fencer musashi tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

i see... the problem with rogue galaxy... is that it has jokes.

Well there's the insanely awful dub too going by that clip

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WrightOfWay posted:

That's just a D&Dism creeping in.

The blood thing in the Dragon Age games was especially dumb because Darkspawn blood is supposed to be poisonous and drive non-Grey Wardens crazy. But your non-Grey Warden party members can just bathe in the stuff with absolutely no consequences.

Chris Avellone Voice: Well you see actually they are being driven crazy and that explains why they follow you and are so easily bet to your will.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've seen that Rogue Galaxy clip several times and devoid of any other context, it's still like 50% too slow in the cuts between voice lines for any of the humor to land.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean sure but in the third game reusing the janky dark cloud combat system without really fixing its issues and somehow having worse pacing issues than dark cloud 2 did, is the thing that ruins the game really the fact that it has one scene with some kinda limp jokes in it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Colonel posted:

i mean sure but in the third game reusing the janky dark cloud combat system without really fixing its issues and somehow having worse pacing issues than dark cloud 2 did, is the thing that ruins the game really the fact that it has one scene with some kinda limp jokes in it

I love how the game, despite having its saves points be pretty sparse at times, loves to have extremely powerful mimic enemies. Its a pretty massive gamble to choose to open a treasure chest when you see one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How's the combat/character progression of Rogue Galaxy? I've never tried it and I am very trigger happy with cutscene skip anyway so bad scenes aren't really a problem for me

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Going back to Dark Cloud 1 and 2 was such a bummer...I loved those games to pieces as a kid but they do not hold up well at all... RIP!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Artelier posted:

How's the combat/character progression of Rogue Galaxy? I've never tried it and I am very trigger happy with cutscene skip anyway so bad scenes aren't really a problem for me

Bad

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still liked Dark Cloud 1 enough to plat it when it came out on PS4... don't think I even bothered to load up 2.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's been a long time since I played it, but I would say Rogue Galaxy's combat and progression are worse than its cutscenes. The cutscenes were the good part.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 14, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hell that cutscene isn't really any worse than anything in dark cloud 2 to begin with, that game's presentation was stiff as heck

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Dark Cloud 2 was my first RPG on my ps2 so it has a special place in my heart.

Rogue Galaxy is hot trash and the only reason I finished it was because I was an aggressively bored high schooler. Also, I hope you trained all your characters despite only having three in regular combat because the final boss is a gauntlet of you soloing with each character!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Clarste posted:

It's been a long time since I played it, but I would say Rogue Galaxy's combat and progression are worse than its cutscenes. The cutscenes were the good part.

drat that's bad, glad teenage me missed out then

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Tired Moritz posted:

Dark Cloud 2 was my first RPG on my ps2 so it has a special place in my heart.

Rogue Galaxy is hot trash and the only reason I finished it was because I was an aggressively bored high schooler. Also, I hope you trained all your characters despite only having three in regular combat because the final boss is a gauntlet of you soloing with each character!!

I had the pleasure of watching my best friend reach the last boss, and promptly drop the game forever precisely because of this (and man I can only recall some of those other party members looking lame as hell)

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Tired Moritz posted:

Always cool when a game springs the old "gently caress you, I didn't want you to actually beat me" at the final boss. There's two really egregious examples I can think of.

Final Fantasy III DS is pretty infamous, you need to do two dungeons, a long cutscene and five bosses just to get to the final boss and if you lose the Particle Beam turn order lottery it's 90 minutes for another attempt.

The one that actually broke me was Arc: Twilight of the Spirits. The game is a somewhat ponderously paced PS2 SRPG that is just fine and the only mandatory fights are the plot ones, with field segments only existing as short walks to the next fight setpiece.

UNTIL THE FINAL DUNGEON! :unsmigghh:

This is where the game unveils a multi-floor maze with a chance of random (long-rear end SRPG) battles every time you enter a room, with one save point in the middle. At the end there's a long cutscene, a fight, another phase of a fight, another long cutscene, and the real final boss...who's a lot harder than anything else you've fought in the storyline of the game so far. You lose, back to the save point on a previous floor. Just a stunning amount of malice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arc is the one where like the boss before the final gauntlet has like 500 hp and the first final boss fight has 1,000 and the final form like 5,000 right? I remember a blurb talking about it in a gaming magazine that basically said "have at least 3 hours set aside for just the final boss"

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Barudak posted:

Arc is the one where like the boss before the final gauntlet has like 500 hp and the first final boss fight has 1,000 and the final form like 5,000 right? I remember a blurb talking about it in a gaming magazine that basically said "have at least 3 hours set aside for just the final boss"

yeah that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t the final boss in the second game have an insane amount of health relative to just about anything else too? I guess they really liked that feature for some reason...