Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I'd seen the big overhead dome idea, but I'd never seen these other excelsior bridge concepts, that's super cool and looks like a natural next-next-generation version of the TOS bridge

Love the second one the way the viewscreen becomes the side console screens. That's good enough they should pick up the idea in a future show.

I'd always thought that that was what they'd intended the design of the USS Dauntless's bridge to be on Voyager. Those white panels (which turn red when Ray Wise flips the switch from Good Ship to Evil Ship) always struck me as though they were meant to turn into a full 360 viewscreen, but they either never had the money or the time to get it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Payndz posted:

I often wondered why we never saw any races that were under the control of the Klingon Empire but not actually Klingons - I mean, they can't have just been going around conquering empty planets, and the Federation wouldn't have allied with them if their SOP was to rock up and genocide any species in their territory. Maybe they're the ones who do all the scientific work.
According to Memory Alpha, the Federation President from Undiscovered Country was of such a race!

skasion posted:

When will Trek add juggalo representation

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Just started reading “How Much for Just the Planet” and it’s RIDICULOUS.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjn5lsjNOg

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pascallion posted:

Just started reading “How Much for Just the Planet” and it’s RIDICULOUS.

One of the best endings to a Star Trek of any kind.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Here is my idea for a synopsis of an episode of a Klingon series:

A Klingon away team lands on a planet inhabited primarily by a carnivorous plant species, and the remainder that survives retreats toward the ship. Some time later, the captain argues with another captain over some bloodwine over whether it counts as leading a glorious battle or leading a gardening lesson. Meanwhile, an inter-generational ship approaches the warning buoy left by the captain, disappointed that the planet that their atmospheric analysis indicated as capable of supporting life is uninhabitable for unexpected reasons. They reason that the buoys were left along the path through which the ship either entered or left the system, so they head in its direction to the nearest Klingon colony. Not familiar with ancient technologies, the colony detects possible weaponry on board in the form of radioisotopes and sends the captain's ship out to investigate. The captain hails the ship, first on subspace, then on a variety of frequencies before settling on radio, and demands that they explain the nature of the material they have on board.

Through an explanation of why their captain is called "prime minister", this transitions to finding out that long ago, there was a mutiny and a battle which ended in a power-sharing agreement where the descendants of the winning faction get 15 times as many votes as the losing faction. The Klingon captain notes that this would never happen in his culture and takes it as a lesson that this is where a refusal to fight to the death and die with honor will lead. He asks to tour the ship, and in the mess hall he asks what planet they hail from. A crew member points out the window to to a planet which, in a Klingon constellation, is located right on the tip of the serpent's fang, but in their is located in the tail of a bull. He offers a deal with the crew member that he will help disable the ship's power systems except for life support, putting the descendants of the losing faction on a more equal footing by taking out the other faction's traps and turrets. Then, if the prime minister will not meet the opposition leader in ritual combat, there will be war. The opposition leader takes advantage of the confusion to gain control of the armory, then spreads toward engineering from there. The prime minister calls and offers negotiations for a new treaty, and while the Klingon captain shakes his head "no", the opposition leader accepts. The new captain relays to her homeworld the Klingon captain's offer of status as an allied world, along with data that can help end diseases such as cancer. The inter-generational ship's new captain expects the reply in the affirmative to arrive in two years. The Klingon captain uses a tractor beam to tow the intergenerational ship to the nearest class-M planet, returns to the bar, and says that while it is the way of the warrior to do battle in all things, whether with plants or with disease, there is no greater glory than the actual battle.

---

Unlike a regular Star Trek episode, there are no morals here, just things that happen, though. There's physical conflict, but not emotional conflict that needs resolving. If the Klingon captain were more reluctant to accept the opposition leader's point of view, and they discuss it during the lulls in battle after they take the armory and engineering, then realizes that this was about a need to prove himself rather than respecting what the prospective allied culture decides for itself after being pressed on it, then that'd make it work better

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 14, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So I had seen screencaps of the Nazi aliens from the Voyager two parter The Killing Game but I had never watched the episodes until recently. That's some pretty good Trek. Ethan Philips is clearly having a very good time as Klingon Neelix.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Animal-Mother posted:

So I had seen screencaps of the Nazi aliens from the Voyager two parter The Killing Game but I had never watched the episodes until recently. That's some pretty good Trek. Ethan Philips is clearly having a very good time as Klingon Neelix.

The Killing Game owns. One of Harry Kim's only good episodes, one of Voyager's best aliens, a classic Star Trek ideology-driven story, the way the story plays with tension both within and without the simulation world, that big finale when World War II breaks out into Voyager's hallways and Klingons fight Nazis, Neelix's Klingon character still being obsessed with cooking, whats not to like?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I'd seen the big overhead dome idea, but I'd never seen these other excelsior bridge concepts, that's super cool and looks like a natural next-next-generation version of the TOS bridge

Love the second one the way the viewscreen becomes the side console screens. That's good enough they should pick up the idea in a future show.

"So, can we have a movie or something playing on the middle screen? It just seems-"

"Are you suggesting we take down the 'Stand By' sign, Ensign?"

"Well, 'stand by' seems implied, and that's a lot of- of screen real estate to-"

"Lieutenant Chok'-Tok designed that. Before vi died in the holodeck Nazi orgy incident. I hope you aren't saying we should dishonor vir memory."

Ensign Ninny sadly puts away the PADD containing his arthouse war film, "A Bridge Too Ferenginar"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume the Standby/Overdrive were the Transwarp Drive status messages.

Certainly would've been a bit more impressive to show messages on than the HIGH TECH 23RD CENTURY COMPUTER we got

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Scotty sabotaged the Excelsior by replacing the main computer with an Amiga emulator.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Okay maybe I'm just stupid, but this has been bugging me while watching DS9.

Bajor isn't in the Federation, right? Because watching TNG, they made it clear multiple times that non-Federation planets/civilizations received zero Federation help or even acknowledgement. Who Watches the Watchers, First Contact, Journey's End, Pen Pals.... All episodes that brought up Prime Directive stuff that made it clear that there was supposed to be no interference in those civilizations and societies.

So why is the Federation helping Bajor?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

a neat cape posted:

Okay maybe I'm just stupid, but this has been bugging me while watching DS9.

Bajor isn't in the Federation, right? Because watching TNG, they made it clear multiple times that non-Federation planets/civilizations received zero Federation help or even acknowledgement. Who Watches the Watchers, First Contact, Journey's End, Pen Pals.... All episodes that brought up Prime Directive stuff that made it clear that there was supposed to be no interference in those civilizations and societies.

So why is the Federation helping Bajor?
-Bajor asked for it
-There's a clear distinction made on TNG between societies that have warp capability and those that don't.

They do also point out that with regard to the species in the episode 'First Contact', they are about to develop warp drive and therefore the Federation is taking an interest in them which is why Riker was there undercover to see how their society was responding.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Prime Directive only applies if the planet hasn’t achieved warp travel on their own. Bajor is warp capable, was recently occupied by another warp capable empire, and is a prospective Federation member.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Bajor also requested the assistance, which changes things - even in "Pen Pals", Picard changed his mind about the situation when it became clear the little girl was requesting help, not just sending out signals.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Prime Directive only applies if the planet hasn’t achieved warp travel on their own.

Prime Directive says that any civilisation has the right to find its own destiny free of interference and the Federation doesn't have the right to intervene unilaterally. The primary interpretation is that any pre-interstellar civilisation shouldn't be contacted, and any interstellar civilisation may only be interacted with on their own terms and with their invitation. Achieving interstellar travel is the point of contact because it's considered under the PD to be an active decision on a civilization's part to join the interstellar community.

Like, for example, not taking any sides in the Klingon Civil War was still a Prime Directive matter, even though the Klingons are post-warp.

Also, pre-warp civilisations that are so into it they throw a generation ship out there are still considered contactable, it's about going interstellar, not warp drive specifically.

It was all very much written in reaction to 1960s Cold War bullshit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 14, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Prime Directive says that any civilisation has the right to find its own destiny free of interference and the Federation doesn't have the right to intervene unilaterally. The primary interpretation is that any pre-interstellar civilisation shouldn't be contacted, and any interstellar civilisation may only be interacted with on their own terms and with their invitation. Achieving interstellar travel is the point of contact because it's considered under the PD to be an active decision on a civilization's part to join the interstellar community.

Like, for example, not taking any sides in the Klingon Civil War was still a Prime Directive matter, even though the Klingons are post-warp.

Also, pre-warp civilisations that are so into it they throw a generation ship out there are still considered contactable, it's about going interstellar, not warp drive specifically.

Despite the obvious conflicts, breaches and inhumane interpretation/woo about it, the raw idea of the Prime Directive was pretty amazing and I think it has, if anything, gotten more amazing now. I imagine that the Federation gets enormous amounts of diplomatic credibility purely on the theory that institutionally speaking, their core parties agreed to it, and they seem to follow it at least as well as any structure with fallible beings can.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

MikeJF posted:

Certainly would've been a bit more impressive to show messages on than the HIGH TECH 23RD CENTURY COMPUTER we got

I love this about 80's Science Fiction.

It is the far flung distant years of the late 23rd century, and humanity has gained the ability to sail amongst the distant stars. It has, however, yet to invent the EGA monitor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's why LCARS was a stroke of brilliance. Most on screen controls were printed cells that didn't need to be animated in a specific way because the layout was incomprehensible. Then any dynamic info was composited in and didn't need to be shown on camera in real time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Basically, it's the opposite of this:

https://i.imgur.com/vD9xDix.mp4

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

FlamingLiberal posted:

-Bajor asked for it
-There's a clear distinction made on TNG between societies that have warp capability and those that don't.

They do also point out that with regard to the species in the episode 'First Contact', they are about to develop warp drive and therefore the Federation is taking an interest in them which is why Riker was there undercover to see how their society was responding.

I assume there's also a good faction on the Federation Council that's all "let's help Bajor because gently caress Cardassia". Also since Bajorans have probably been cultivating Federation help. I recall in one of the early Ro episodes where they mention an unofficial ambassador that Bajor trots around to Federation events.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Kibayasu posted:

One of the best endings to a Star Trek of any kind.
Beginning: Great
Ending: Great
Middle 75%: just the most pointless trash

I can’t believe they actually did a Trek musical...and it’s in book form.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pascallion posted:

Beginning: Great
Ending: Great
Middle 75%: just the most pointless trash

I can’t believe they actually did a Trek musical...and it’s in book form.

Sounds like someone needs a pie.

Actually I haven’t read it for a long time so you’re probably right.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If you develop warp drive while your ships are still made out of wood, you get extra Federation attention.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I just watched the TNG retrospective. A fun thing is how they mention a touchscreen as a futuristic impossible thing, and now they're everywhere.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell, touchscreens were definitely a thing in the early 90s. I remember those build-your-own-birthday-card kiosks that were in K-Mart.

They weren’t good touchscreens, mind you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically Bajor invited the Federation to set up a military base to protect against possible future encroachment on their newfound freedom, and the space station was some neutral ground so the Federation's defenses wouldn't impose on the planet itself.

It also so happens that the Federation sure does like lending aid to allied planets so that's another handy reason to keep them around because Bajor is seriously hosed-up after the occupation. The Federation also sure does like the prospect of recruiting another planet, and they don't wanna be pushy, but they do wanna keep the option out there.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I remember there was a bit in early DS9 about the Federation dropping off a couple of industrial replicators to help Bajor with rebuilding, so like even if you're not planning on joining the Federation, it's still an amazing way to get a look at their technology to build your planet up in the future.

No wonder everyone in the Alpha Quadrant maintains technological parity with the Federation.

Also no wonder the Federation tries to avoid dealing with planets that don't have a unified one world government, imagine some aliens rocked up to Earth tomorrow and said, "Here we've got these two machines that can make endless amounts of any resource of item you want, where should we drop them off?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SlothfulCobra posted:

Basically Bajor invited the Federation to set up a military base to protect against possible future encroachment on their newfound freedom, and the space station was some neutral ground so the Federation's defenses wouldn't impose on the planet itself.

It also so happens that the Federation sure does like lending aid to allied planets so that's another handy reason to keep them around because Bajor is seriously hosed-up after the occupation. The Federation also sure does like the prospect of recruiting another planet, and they don't wanna be pushy, but they do wanna keep the option out there.

Well it wasn't neutral ground. It was in orbit around Bajor. O'brien technobabbled a warp bubble out of his rear end to move it to the wormhole in the first episode

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have finally reached the thread title episode!

Lwaxana is as annoying as usual and the source of many problems.

edit : why doesn't the bridge have oxygen masks for the officers, it's a spaceship

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 14, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well it wasn't neutral ground. It was in orbit around Bajor. O'brien technobabbled a warp bubble out of his rear end to move it to the wormhole in the first episode

Eh, it's still more palatable to people worried about being conquered by the Federation if they keep "troops" off the ground. "You guys can set up some cots in Space-Auschwitz. We don't really want it anyway."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HD DAD posted:

Hell, touchscreens were definitely a thing in the early 90s. I remember those build-your-own-birthday-card kiosks that were in K-Mart.

They weren’t good touchscreens, mind you.

The important bit there is 90s.

Experimental prototypes for touchscreens date back to the early 70s, but even though the late 80s they were usually limited to grid of large touch targets. It wasn't until after TNG started that you started getting accurate enough feedback systems to have per pixel tracking.

The first capacitive touchscreen didn't ship on a mobile phone until 2007.

The biggest thing that seemed far fetched is an interface that was able to reconfigure itself into any arbitrary arrangement (including video screens) that wasn't a static grid and it wasn't until the late 90s early 2000s before multitouch was anything other than lab prototypes.

Yeah, so touchscreens existed before TNG started, but what they could actually do outside of a lab was fairly limited and I know that my 8 year old self in 1987 had no clue that we would be able to create touchscreens as capable as they were on TNG.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I've said this before in a Trek chat, the touch screens on the bridge should be transmiting a 3D overlay onto your eyes.
Like how the toy does in the ep 'The Game'.
The lowest level would be the screen itself, and whatever you touched changes the structure to give you more info or such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6iKfstF40
And touch screens being shown off on a UK technology show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just remember that there were CRT touchscreens back when I was a kid in the 90s and then there were little handheld computers throughout the 2000s with various formats.

I feel like people exaggerate how revelatory smartphones were, but then that's probably more because there's a fuckload of people who try to argue that sticking a smartphone into a business model all of a sudden means that no laws matter because our regulatory system has heavily decayed.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's still way far away from anywhere the Bajorans care about, so they don't have to feel like they're giving up any autonomy or inviting military targets near population centers. All of Starfleet can pick up and go without leaving a trace the moment they're no longer welcome, and any anti-federation Bajorans would have to catch a flight into space to protest their presence.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

little handheld computers throughout the 2000s with various formats.

PDAs

These were such a fad item to have.
Used to work for local council and every manager wanted one so they could do emails on the go.
They cost a few hundred pounds/dollars to get them up to be able to send emails, you have to loving sync them to send the mails, which didn't work easily all the time.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's hard to overstate how much old resistive touchscreens sucked. Newer ones are still all over the place, but they're so much better now. The kind of technology that was around in the early 90s was miserable to use and it's easy to understand why people didn't really see it as "the future." Handheld stuff like PDAs were basically unusable without a stylus because your fat finger was just way too imprecise.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

It's hard to overstate how much old resistive touchscreens sucked. Newer ones are still all over the place, but they're so much better now. The kind of technology that was around in the early 90s was miserable to use and it's easy to understand why people didn't really see it as "the future." Handheld stuff like PDAs were basically unusable without a stylus because your fat finger was just way too imprecise.

Yeah in the 90s my dad worked at IBM and in the office building where he worked there was essentially a "technology demonstrator" touchscreen monitor. It was not very precise or responsive the few times I tried using it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I will say that there is a moment in DS9 where Kira is in full "gently caress the cardies" mode but you haven't seen any thing done bad by them on screen in the series, where you almost just almost believe that Dukat was being honest. That little mindfuck in the early seasons I think was the best, and the fact they kept it going so long only shows how well Dukat actor was at being charismatic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah I used to have PDAs and that reminds me I can't think of the last time I had to "callibrate my screen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

https://phys.org/news/2021-03-warp-barrier-faster-than-light.html

Just saw this pop up recently. I'm sure some of you are familiar with the Alcubierre solution for a theoretical warp drive; this is an improvement on that work that no longer requires exotic unknown states of matter with negative energy densities, moving it, as the article says, a step closer to an engineering problem than a theoretical one.

It still would require energy on the scale of direct conversion of hundreds of Jupiter masses (that part hasn't gotten any better since Alcubierre, at least in this configuration), but the fact it even seems possible at all with conventional physics is a major step, and although I'm an amateur I don't think phys.org is in the habit of publishing junk.

I don't think I'd sign up for the first actual FTL test, mind you, but even if it were limited to near-lightspeed without time dilation, or on even a lesser scale as simply a reactionless drive, it would be awesome for space exploration.