Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Z the IVth posted:

Assuming you don't have children/pets to worry about - rat poison?

Sure. Where though? Outside my flat (as there are no rats inside)? Did you see the points re ownership, jurisdiction etc?

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's definitely rats, every major city in Britain is interested with rats.

If you spot some report it to the council environmental health and maybe they might send someone to dig out the nest.

You could also see if you can find a bloke with a pack of hungry terriers.

Ah the council is a good idea. I guess I might need to somehow find a nest first for them to bother... need to look into it.

I've heard of terriers as well, though the problem of jurisdiction will apply. Still, also a good idea!

e: the purpose of the non-existence of UK legislation mandating proper garbage collection procedures in UK cities is to maintain a population of at least 70 rats on every street in the country. This initiative has proven highly successful for thousands of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

W I Z A R D

M A S T E R

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

jaete posted:

TLDR: loving rats, I hate them. What do?

You can get a "bait station" which hides the poison in a locked box with holes that other animals won't eat. You could just put it out at night and take it in first thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rat-Bait-Box/s?k=Rat+Bait+Box

Rats are every where though. It's a bit of a losing battle.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

What are your blokes thoughts on the potential "6pm curfew" for men in UK cities in order to supposedly make them safer?

I am all in favour of it because the howls of outrage would be loving hilarious.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jaete posted:

TLDR: loving rats, I hate them. What do?

It works a bit like the fire triangle- rats want hydration, food and shelter, and if these are all present in sufficient quantity you might as well imagine you did some kind of magical spell to summon rats directly from the ether. Normally a combination of removing access to what they need and trapping works well- they move on to pastures new, in either a physical or a spiritual sense

From the sounds of it, your opponent has excellent logistics in place that you can't easily attack, and you are on one of the supply lines for them which is why you hear them scurrying back and forth. Your best bet is finding out the council team for pest control and explaining the situation and potentially keeping on making complaints/getting neighbors to do so and kicking up enough fuss to get attention

From there they can find local nests, put out traps, write haughty letters to the messy bin owners e.t.c

Z the IVth posted:

Assuming you don't have children/pets to worry about - rat poison?

A large dead rat stuck in a wall/loft/floor will smell bad for a surprisingly long time yet yield little clue to exactly where it is for easy removal

Electrical labouring work had some pretty gruesome moments in that regard

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
My long term plan is now to live in an airtight house shaped like a big box, made completely of marble, in the countryside somewhere so that if there are rats outside I can just hire (CW: rats being murdeded) this guy and his dogs to take care of it. Look at all the good doggos go :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Consider infesting your residence with wasps to fight the rats.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

Consider infesting your residence with wasps to fight the rats.

Don't do this unless you have space for mongeese!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you get attacked enough by both the rats and the wasps they will bow to your dominion and you will be able to seize control of the property from the landlord with your vermin army. I've seen metal gear solid, that's how it works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Miftan posted:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongooses."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me two mongeese."

:hmmno:

"Dear Sir,

Please send me a mongoose. Actually, make it two."

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

childhood books have taught me that the best way to defeat rats is lots of mice and other woodland creatures wearing tunics and/or jerkins

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I really feel like we're witnessing the death throes of boomerism and neoliberalism play out in front of us.

The way the press is ignoring the protests, the loving headline death threats against Harry and Meghan, its just all so febrile and mental, but all controlled by a dying media consumed primarily by people who are in their 60s or older.

Labour are haemorrhaging supporters because they have become the 'don't rock the boat' party, but eventually they or someone else will realise that they need the support of the next generation, who think that fascism and structural inequality are bad actually, and that will be the dominant philosophy.

So this descent into fascism we're experiencing now is a horrible, ugly spasm of a dying ideology, and it won't last.

We just have to hope it doesn't take too long, or claim too many victims before it ends.

(or all the above is bollocks, and we're all hosed)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

I really feel like we're witnessing the death throes of boomerism and neoliberalism play out in front of us.

The way the press is ignoring the protests, the loving headline death threats against Harry and Meghan, its just all so febrile and mental, but all controlled by a dying media consumed primarily by people who are in their 60s or older.

Labour are haemorrhaging supporters because they have become the 'don't rock the boat' party, but eventually they or someone else will realise that they need the support of the next generation, who think that fascism and structural inequality are bad actually, and that will be the dominant philosophy.

So this descent into fascism we're experiencing now is a horrible, ugly spasm of a dying ideology, and it won't last.

We just have to hope it doesn't take too long, or claim too many victims before it ends.

I don't think it's 'bollocks' in that things are definitely falling apart, neoliberalism included, it's just there's not a lot to stop fascism filling the vacuum. Which was always the fear. Neo-liberalism was always said to be laying the foundation for a fascist uprising. One thing that may be in our favour is that political engagement in this country is so low, things kicking off may jolt nominally leftist but disengaged people into action. But we've sleptwalked into this poo poo so why not sleepwalk into worse.

kecske posted:

childhood books have taught me that the best way to defeat rats is lots of mice and other woodland creatures wearing tunics and/or jerkins

Kroxigors

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

If you're in London and you think it's safe (covid wise, obviously not re: the fash):

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1371005495113302023?s=19

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Jakabite posted:

It's not. But it was a rhetorical thing said by one person, not a serious proposal. And the fact that you've as far as I can tell never posted in these threads before and now you're here with some bullshit contrarian argument makes me think you aren't in here in good faith, and don't actually care about the safety of women. So gently caress off.

Why wouldn't I care about the safety of women? As a man with a mother, sister, wife and daughters I very much care about the safety of women.
I have, In fact, posted in these threads before, so get the gently caress off your high horse you mouth breathing child. Typical activist bullshit, dislike one thing posted and turn it into 'you must hate women'
As for not being here in good faith, you proved a point that idiots like you can froth at the mouth over the smallest issue and yet again turn it into a rhetoric that fits their narrative.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Salisbury Snape posted:

Typical activist bullshit, dislike one thing posted and turn it into 'you must hate women'

As for not being here in good faith, you proved a point that idiots like you can froth at the mouth over the smallest issue and yet again turn it into a rhetoric that fits their narrative.

Nothing good will be achieved by you posting in this thread

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't think it's 'bollocks' in that things are definitely falling apart, neoliberalism included, it's just there's not a lot to stop fascism filling the vacuum. Which was always the fear. Neo-liberalism was always said to be laying the foundation for a fascist uprising. One thing that may be in our favour is that political engagement in this country is so low, things kicking off may jolt nominally leftist but disengaged people into action. But we've sleptwalked into this poo poo so why not sleepwalk into worse.

We are already sleepwalking into it, between the Spy cops bill, the civil liberties curtailing bill that Sir Abstains A Lot will let through, the anti-migrant patrols last summer, Priti wanting to stick migrants on a big floating camp out at sea... I am not optimistic about what will happen with the crossings this spring/summer now that we have fully Brexited.

Not a bloke so my worthless fempinion wasn't asked for but a 6pm curfew would be hilarious, if only because so many people would disobey, not in favour of civil liberty but just because so many men are used to occupying space without question.

I've had inconsiderate female officemates (e.g. raging phone arguments with boyfriends at 9.30am) but I'm the only woman I know who engages in repetitive stress-relieving/externalising habits, the sort that are really distracting in an office setting. I mutter to myself, but all of the other mutterers/foot tappers/desk shakers/big stretchers/big yawners/throat clearers I've shared offices with have been male. Office behaviour like this, like "manspreading", is liberal feminist triviality but I think it speaks to broader patterns. Like I can't believe that other women wouldn't get some stress relief/control from tapping their feet. Is it related to girls being taught that considerateness and meekness are virtues, a preference to not draw attention to oneself, or something like this? Is it a physiological/hormonal thing? Or have I just been lucky with my female officemates.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok do you genuinely not know how many dogwhistles you just crammed into one post SS? You may not have meant it but the language you just used is an exact echo of every single piece of poo poo gender critical man on the Internet and you couldn’t have crafted a better way to piss off this thread.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Salisbury Snape posted:

Pretty sure in 33 years I've had no urge to kidnap or rape a women (or man) before or after 6pm

Ur a loving hero m8

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Yeah no I don't mean to be a dick but we're all completely hosed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Salisbury Snape posted:

Why wouldn't I care about the safety of women? As a man with a mother, sister, wife and daughters I very much care about the safety of women.
I have, In fact, posted in these threads before, so get the gently caress off your high horse you mouth breathing child. Typical activist bullshit, dislike one thing posted and turn it into 'you must hate women'

The fact that immediately before posting in this thread you said this thread was "literal aids" is the subtle hint that tipped me off that you aren't posting in good faith

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

2) Rats don't give a poo poo about who owns which flat. Obviously, humans kind of do. Even if I find a rat's nest, what the gently caress do I do about it, if it's not on "my" property? Assuming my landlord somehow cares about the situation, well that's nice, how about the landlords of each of the neighbours? I don't even know who they are. What about the construction site? Or the railway ditch?
Side with the rats and go after the landlords.

Miftan posted:

Polygoose.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nah absolutely not.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN!!!!! :bahgawd:

NORMAN NOW THE WOKE BRIGRADE WANT YOU CURFEWED AFTER 6PM!!!

NO IT'S NOT CORONA VIRUS NORMAN THEY THINK YOU'RE A SEX PEST!!!!!!

NO NOT JUST YOU, ALL MEN, NORMAN, YOU CLEARED YOUR NAME THAT TIME CALM DOWN

crispix fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 14, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Polygoose.

Lol.

Also sounds like the correct Pokemon evolution: Mongoose->Oligoose->Polygoose

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The obvious step is to consciously understand and publicly start talking about the total and now obvious separation between moral and legal actions and encourage people to be more confident to act morally.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Aramoro posted:

Nah absolutely not.

I'm just trying to comfort myself :(

I just can't believe that when the boomers are dead and millenials rule the earth, they'll be able to be AS awful as those that preceded them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
They're jailing men for going outside, these days. Taking away our mr. potato heads, too. Did you know it's illegal now to call them Easter Eggs? And don't get me started on the cartoon bunnies. Took away her tits. It's the end of society.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There will be a lot of pressure from institutions creating awfulness and awful people, whether or not that can be overcome and if so, how, remains to be seen. But I would suggest that the assertion of "everything will always be awful forever" is as much of an emotional need as for you to not believe that.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Salisbury Snape posted:

Pretty sure in 33 years I've had no urge to kidnap or rape a women (or man) before or after 6pm

good faith (lmao) answer: it's sarcasm, aimed specifically to make fun of the typical "well she shouldn't have been out at night" bullshit, which effectively does suggest a curfew for women (purely for their own safety, you see)

also, good for you on not being a kidnapper and a rapist. it's truly a great accomplishment and I cannot thank you enough for your service towards clearing the name of All Men

also, you don't strike me as a silly person. In fact, you seem quite clever. which is why people assume bad faith, as it shouldn't've been a problem for someone who's as smart as you to figure the "it's a Sarcasm" angle. It should also have taken someone as clever as yourself about a minute to google and find out all you need to know about the "Not All Men" discourse - it's been discussed millions of times, in every shape and form possible. Which also kind of points towards "bad faith", you know. Not saying you *are* a bad-faith poster, of course

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Salisbury Snape posted:

If the only reason you can think of to give a poo poo about other people is their relation to you, then perhaps you shouldn't opine on other people's intent.

Do you also feel like you are being "silenced" when told that things are not an accurate read? And as a follow up question, what is wrong with being an activist?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah no I don't mean to be a dick but we're all completely hosed.

Yeah for all that poo poo to die we need something to take its place and Boomers and neolibs effectively killed that last shot in 2019.

https://twitter.com/hamniallton/status/1370890922674753536?s=19

I hate our cynical media.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Angepain posted:

They're jailing men for going outside, these days. Taking away our mr. potato heads, too. Did you know it's illegal now to call them Easter Eggs? And don't get me started on the cartoon bunnies. Took away her tits. It's the end of society.

I don't think it was ever normal to call mr. potato heads Easter Eggs?

Actually, what happened to Mr. And Mrs. Easter Egg? Accidentally giving my child gender dysphoria by feeding them the neutral egg

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Do you also feel like you are being "silenced" when told that things are not an accurate read? And as a follow up question, what is wrong with being an activist?

careful now, if anyone calls him a misogynist he'll get upset

Salisbury Snape posted:

I'm legit upset by all this bullshit.
I'm far from being a bigot or a racist

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Call them choco-spheres you ghouls.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Had my Astra Zeneca injection this morning.

It was alright.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/stellacreasy/status/1370857549684215814?s=19

Stella abstained over the spy cops bill.

Also she gets very upset if you point that out to her.

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838396978008066?s=19

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838400400523277?s=19

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838404414500869?s=19

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838408176754694?s=19

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838411356082176?s=19

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm just trying to comfort myself :(

I just can't believe that when the boomers are dead and millenials rule the earth, they'll be able to be AS awful as those that preceded them.

Problem is that Boomer is a state of mind not an age. Boomers are in thier 60s-80s now but if you look at political opinion surveys you'll find plenty of Boomer brains in their 40s-50s.

Like I'm in my 40s, if I didn't think too much about it then it would be easy to think "well I'm doing good, so the country / government must be doing good". I'm just tripping over government schemes that directly help me. New car? Government will loan me 30 grand interest free to buy an electric one! Shop closed down in the village? Government will give us a massive grant to create a "reuse hub". Village Greens a bit drab, government grant to create a community orchard!. Oh I fancy a new bike, cycle to work scheme and get one tax free! A scheme so loving dumb that I pay less for a bike than someone earning less than me.

There's a lot of folk out there just thinking about them and thier own for whom neoliberalism is pretty great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think a possible hole in the longevity of that state is the lovely graph that shows that millenials own absolutely jack poo poo and have no money, so they are very unlikely to be "doing well"

It may be a state of mind but it is a state of mind that is heavily created by material conditions, conditions which are rapidly vanishing for everyone outside the increasingly retracting drawbridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They have to hand over their poo poo eventually or Mark Blyth is going to lead a horde of cannibal proles to eat them, or something