Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sydin posted:

Congrats! I'm just going off what a manager told me - I'm a computer toucher so presumably we're understandably lower in priority than anybody who actually has to be on site or interface with the public.
Education-wise there's definitely a need for computer folk to get the jab. There's issues with Chromebooks/hotspots on the regular, and since we're insane and still testing kids, school sites and staff will need support in the coming month or two.

I mean "hey can you check out these 10 laptops that kids say have no working camera" means a lot of touching of surfaces that kids had their grubby hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

BeAuMaN posted:

Just popping in to say according to Slickdeals thread the Winix C545 Air Purifier will be on sale again at Costco starting on 3/10 for ~$100. Same deal basically:
https://www.costco.com/winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-with-wi-fi-and-additional-filter.product.100662892.html
Deal is live. SD Discussion thread:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14864998-costco-members-winix-true-hepa-4-stage-air-purifier-w-wi-fi-extra-filter-100-4-s-h?v=1

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The US vaccine rollout is hosed in a lot of different ways, and is still beating most of the rest of the world, including Canada and the EU lol

*USA chant of undetermined amount of irony*

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my entire family in EU of all ages has yet to get a vaccine, except for my cousin that is a nurse, I got my moderna shot 2 days ago in california.

the US and the Uk managed to gently caress it up into success, failing upwards is really a thing in america.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
California Politics Thread: failing upwards is really a thing in america

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

e.pilot posted:

California Politics Thread: failing upwards is really a thing in america

Or alternatively: California Politics Thread: The worst state AND country except for all the others.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
EU: *spends decades and trillions building post-war welfare states*

US: haha vaccination machine go brrr

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Still Dismal posted:

every vaccination is a stack of government cash in big pharma's hands, so yeah, our system steps to it with a quickness

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Some counties are moving to a less-restrictive tier Sunday (Placer to red despite being in purple range on Tuesday) due to the 2 million magic number of vaccinations hit. The ranges for red have been expanded a bit higher as a result. Once we hit 4 million vaccines, yellow/orange upper ranges expand as well.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 12, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Still Dismal posted:

The US bought up a lot of the vaccines. Trump was playing hardball and demanding Pfizer, Moderna, etc commit huge chunks of their production to the US before anyone else got to buy them. The US, UK, and Canada have all bought enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone like five times over. Meanwhile the EU is at least somewhat trying to buy for poorer countries in its membership that can't pay whatever price the pharma companies ask, or say Pfizer doesn't really care about getting Moldova to owe it a favor

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 12, 2021

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
So how worried should I be that Newsom will be replaced with a servant of Satan, aka a Republican?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Please governor fieri save us.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DukeDuke posted:

So how worried should I be that Newsom will be replaced with a servant of Satan, aka a Republican?
Some dumbshitbstuff goes through life having a Negative Rainy Day Fund or Budget Cuts for Schools but since the Dems have the Legislature mostly gridlock.

poo poo's opening up and schools are, at least, going to have K-2 back in April so the heat will be off.

If this is coupled with the estimated rosy recovery for California, a lot of that will dissipate.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Chaos option: a Democrat wins the recall election but it’s Kevin de León

FilthyImp posted:

poo poo's opening up and schools are, at least, going to have K-2 back in April so the heat will be off.

If this is coupled with the estimated rosy recovery for California, a lot of that will dissipate.

That would be the case if the Republican motive for recall was anything real and not just “Newsom is a Democrat and we hate Democrats”. Every chud I’ve seen posting about recall on Twitter is talking about either Newsom’s personal errors like the French Laundry, or just repeating the ancient Republican talking points about California being in decline because of Democrats.
So Republicans will still get about 33% percent of the vote

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 13, 2021

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

We won't get a Republican for Governor if Gavin gets recalled, but we will get some old boomer gently caress because we live in a gerontocracy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Infinite Karma posted:

We won't get a Republican for Governor if Gavin gets recalled, but we will get some old boomer gently caress because we live in a gerontocracy

So, Jerry Brown?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If a Republican wins the Governorship, I'll look forward to the Healthy California Act sailing through both houses.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Infinite Karma posted:

Elon forms the DogeParty and sails to victory

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

If a Republican wins the Governorship, I'll look forward to the Healthy California Act sailing through both houses.

Honestly, this would track

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DukeDuke posted:

Chaos option: a Democrat wins the recall election but it’s Kevin de León

That would be the case if the Republican motive for recall was anything real and not just “Newsom is a Democrat and we hate Democrats”. Every chud I’ve seen posting about recall on Twitter is talking about either Newsom’s personal errors like the French Laundry, or just repeating the ancient Republican talking points about California being in decline because of Democrats.
So Republicans will still get about 33% percent of the vote

I'm not a Republican, but the French Laundry and other similar stuff like this week's stadium address give Gavin the appearance of a wine cave egotist. If there was anyone in the Democratic slate who was charismatic and could convince progressives that they are at least incrementally better than Gavin, they'd have a real shot.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

honestly i feel anyone who doesn't give off the wine cave egotist vibes would get people crossing the aisle from either direction. newsom is such a slime. if he wasn't pretty and charismatic he'd have no appeal at all

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah, I've said before that while I do cut Gavin a lot of slack for our half-assed COVID response since there was really only so much that could be done in the face of Federal opposition, his handling of the optics has frankly been embarrassing. The wine cave, the French Laundry, pointing to loving Doordash as a 2020 success story for California business, spending who knows how much money to give a speech to an empty stadium, etc. He's not even trying to hide that the most important things to him are his high-flying lifestyle and his political career. Cuomo levels of being completely unable to even fake empathy.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I wouldn't be surprised if libby schaaf made a go for it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

DukeDuke posted:

It wouldn't be a "Republican" per se. At least I don't think so. I think it would be someone with a lot of celebrity, popularity, and money; someone who appeals to the broadest common denominator that shows up to vote. I'm going to keep saying The Rock because it's funny, but pick anyone from hollywood or silicon valley that has political ambitions. Was discussing the setup of recall ballot earlier (at least the one for 2003), that it first matters if there's enough votes across party lines to meet the above 50% threshold to vote Newsom out of office, and then it depends on how the votes stack up on the second question on who should replace him; and people that vote to keep Newsom in office can still vote for who should succeed him if he's still voted out... which means that someone could find a majority by appealing to both Republicans that want to recall and Democrats that don't want to recall but still mark them as a backup.

This also puts the CA Democratic Party in a weird position of campaigning for "Vote to keep Newsom, but also vote for this person to replace him" (or with last recall election, as FilthyImp put it, "Vote For My Boss. BUT if Not Vote For Me", though last recall had a lot of other unique factors at play that are different from the unique factors at play here).

But that's just spitballing.

CPColin posted:

This so much.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sydin posted:

Yeah, I've said before that while I do cut Gavin a lot of slack for our half-assed COVID response since there was really only so much that could be done in the face of Federal opposition, his handling of the optics has frankly been embarrassing. The wine cave, the French Laundry, pointing to loving Doordash as a 2020 success story for California business, spending who knows how much money to give a speech to an empty stadium, etc. He's not even trying to hide that the most important things to him are his high-flying lifestyle and his political career. Cuomo levels of being completely unable to even fake empathy.

All of those things might seem tone deaf to you but that's just because you're not part of the Democrats' core constituency of rich urban professionals and Pete Buttigieg clones.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 13, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm going to keep saying The Rock because it's funny

I'd probably vote for him in a general. if we're going to be stuck with celebrities we could do a lot worse than ones that came up working class and are arguably still petit boug

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if libby schaaf made a go for it.

Shitlibby Schaaf failing upwards into the governor's mansion would be hilarious. On the other hand she fits the mold of the white, fake progressive, pro-gentrification, business and developer friendly dem so beloved in California.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I'd probably vote for him in a general. if we're going to be stuck with celebrities we could do a lot worse than ones that came up working class and are arguably still petit boug

I don't think California should keep electing Republican movie stars as Gorvernor

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Newsom is a movie star?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

OMGVBFLOL posted:

doesn't he claim descent from samoan nobility

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shear Modulus posted:

All of those things might seem tone deaf to you but that's just because you're not part of the Democrats' core constituency of rich urban professionals and Pete Buttigieg clones.

I would not be surprised if there was a specific blend of SF/LA dem that thinks Gavin is good, actually, but almost everybody who I've talked to in San Jose is either a Republican, a dipshit techbro, in a union, or scraping by in retail, and I've learned that the one thing that unites all the disparate groups is that they cannot loving stand Newsom.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Nah I live in LA pretty much everyone is annoyed at Newsom. I don't know if he survives a primary challenge.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I don't think California should keep electing Republican movie stars as Gorvernor

oh wait he's republican? lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oh wait he's republican? lmao

He spoke at the 2000 Republican convention but he spoke out against Trump and openly endorsed Biden.

He claims to be an independent.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wish we still did toxxes because I would definitely toxx for Gavin to survive the recall.

I don't like him but I'd rather see him get primaried in the next election than lose his seat because of covid19. Although he really did do plenty of unnecessary self-owns in the pandemic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OMGVBFLOL posted:

stop voting for celebrities

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

sb hermit posted:

I wish we still did toxxes because I would definitely toxx for Gavin to survive the recall.

I don't like him but I'd rather see him get primaried in the next election than lose his seat because of covid19. Although he really did do plenty of unnecessary self-owns in the pandemic.

Yeah I don't love Newsom, and I'd be happy to see him lose to someone more progressive next year, but I hope he wins by a huge margin with this recall election. He's made some poor decisions, especially in terms of optics, but nothing he's done has been remotely worthy of a recall. I don't like the precedent that a recall can be used for sour grapes - it should be reserved for egregious failures. Having dinner at a fancy restaurant during a pandemic is a terrible look, but it's not an egregious failure.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seph posted:

Yeah I don't love Newsom, and I'd be happy to see him lose to someone more progressive next year, but I hope he wins by a huge margin with this recall election. He's made some poor decisions, especially in terms of optics, but nothing he's done has been remotely worthy of a recall. I don't like the precedent that a recall can be used for sour grapes - it should be reserved for egregious failures. Having dinner at a fancy restaurant during a pandemic is a terrible look, but it's not an egregious failure.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as well - I don't particularly like the guy, but I don't think he's done anything that rises to the level of a recall.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at as well - I don't particularly like the guy, but I don't think he's done anything that rises to the level of a recall.
I mean, we've had that dumbass "WHY NEWSOM NO PRINT MONEY FOR CALI" argument in here more times than I care to remember.

I'm sure the idiot voting public was like "I'm locked in mah house with no work and Newsome and the LIMOSINE LIBERALS are eating caviar every weekend!" and wondering why we can't open er up like Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Registered for both My Turn and SLO County's separate vaccine registration, but finally got appointments for my two doses by registering via CVS directly. Except now I gotta drive to Paso Robles on Thursday :argh: