Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

so are no sterilizations happening?

https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1364051137578602501
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1364054462374019072
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1364056074026971136
https://twitter.com/andraydomise/status/1364056989614145537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

my mom got sterilized. not in xinjiang tho

yeah, i have personal connections to chinese people who have been forcibly sterilized and jailed for religious activities

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Just shows how quickly China can put more people in camps every day

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

it's almost like shitlib woke foreign policy is the modern equivalent to 19th century "mission to civilize" bullshit, and is used in the same way to provide an acceotable smokescreen for virulent racism
check this out, this is the new america foundation (and a former clinton administration official):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXBssOoVRcI&t=736s

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

dude admits that they're implanting IUDs against the will of the people who are having IUDs put into them, you sure this was what you wanted to post?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

dude admits that they're implanting IUDs against the will of the people who are having IUDs put into them, you sure this was what you wanted to post?

You're illiterate

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

did you actually read what he was saying or did you just go cross eyed and started drooling after the first sentence

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cao Ni Ma posted:

did you actually read what he was saying or did you just go cross eyed and started drooling after the first sentence

i don't think the state has the right to implant an IUD against someone's will, do you?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Does the discussion about general population control something to do with genocide, which apparently sent you here?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Relevant Tangent posted:

i don't think the state has the right to implant an IUD against someone's will, do you?

Why are you trying to make this about what I think, and not about the poo poo you just posted you gently caress

The relevant part of the tweets "In addition to IUD placements millions of condoms were distributed in the XUAR, along with the availability of depo shots. Even without having had two children, families opted for all of the above, especially in urban areas"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

fart simpson posted:

it’s seemingly full of weirdos that have made hating china a core part of their personality

I really don't even get actively hating china in that way. Lets assume that everything Adrian Zenz says is true, even in that case what value is there in hyper-focusing on China, which we as citizens in the west have no ability to control, vs something like Israel, Saudi Arabia, or some other country committing serious human rights abuses while receiving unholy amounts of US aid. It's like the next level of "making up a guy to be mad at," but it's even better because this guy country actually exists. Like, what the gently caress are they even thinking when they criticize china for hours on end? Is it some kind of escapist fantasy, "Oh god, if I were there in the streets fighting for Freedom for Hong Kong with the rest of them," some kind of desire to be a part of some fight for justice against tyranny? Do they just want to be mad at China just because they like being mad, and being mad about injustice makes them feel like they are good people? Because I get that, but hell even I recognize that it's masturbatory unless I actively try and do something about it.

Like, imagine if Zenz wasn't just an unhinged evangelical who hates communism and who was just exaggerating everything that he's saying with the help of the US state department in order to push US interests abroad, even if everything that he was saying was 100% true, what could you even do about it compared to pushing for an end to military aid to Israel because of their active attempts to ethnically cleanse the West Bank, or pushing for an end to US backing of the dictatorship in SA. These are things that the west can actually do, we just aren't.

note that I'm not talking about natsec ghouls who are pushing anti-china sentiment vs how they aren't pushing anti-SA sentiment. I get them, they're just evil.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I really don't even get actively hating china in that way. Lets assume that everything Adrian Zenz says is true, even in that case what value is there in hyper-focusing on China, which we as citizens in the west have no ability to control, vs something like Israel, Saudi Arabia, or some other country committing serious human rights abuses while receiving unholy amounts of US aid. It's like the next level of "making up a guy to be mad at," but it's even better because this guy country actually exists. Like, what the gently caress are they even thinking when they criticize china for hours on end? Is it some kind of escapist fantasy, "Oh god, if I were there in the streets fighting for Freedom for Hong Kong with the rest of them," some kind of desire to be a part of some fight for justice against tyranny? Do they just want to be mad at China just because they like being mad, and being mad about injustice makes them feel like they are good people? Because I get that, but hell even I recognize that it's masturbatory unless I actively try and do something about it.

Like, imagine if Zenz wasn't just an unhinged evangelical who hates communism and who was just exaggerating everything that he's saying with the help of the US state department in order to push US interests abroad, even if everything that he was saying was 100% true, what could you even do about it compared to pushing for an end to military aid to Israel because of their active attempts to ethnically cleanse the West Bank, or pushing for an end to US backing of the dictatorship in SA. These are things that the west can actually do, we just aren't.

note that I'm not talking about natsec ghouls who are pushing anti-china sentiment vs how they aren't pushing anti-SA sentiment. I get them, they're just evil.

Whites really dislike non-whites.

Chinese people are always surprised and confused by this style of Anglosphere thinking because they don't understand/comprehend how the entire Anglosphere worldview revolves around a made up 1920s notion of race.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1) a lot of westerners have their identities tied up in western europe and american liberal hegemonic dominance over the rest of the world, and they are growing increasingly insane that china is ascending
2) all of the western propaganda organs are telling people to hate china since they are cutting in on the western imperialist project
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/10/06/unfavorable-views-of-china-reach-historic-highs-in-many-countries/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

the gbs thread is one of the most unhinged threads on this website.

e: even the subtitle "the tankie who cried imperialism" is the kind of unjoke that only an elizabeth warren-rear end cia simp lib could write

Outside of a couple places on the internet every China discussion ends up that way.

They will always preface their statements with something like "I don't hate the Chinese people, I hate the CPC" and then say something like "yeah Chinese people's skull sizes are 2.3% smaller than white peoples' so they don't have brain capacity to understand that you should be nice to one another".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Outside of a couple places on the internet every China discussion ends up that way.

They will always preface their statements with something like "I don't hate the Chinese people, I hate the CPC" and then say something like "yeah Chinese people's skull sizes are 2.3% smaller than white peoples' so they don't have brain capacity to understand that you should be nice to one another".

I would be amazed if any of them actually knew enough about China to use the correct acronym for the Communist Party of China.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea the amount of people who just straight up say poo poo like "the Chinese have less empathy than westerners", "the Chinese can only copy and are incapable of creating something new", "the Chinese habitually rip people off" etc is insane. When I went to China a half decade ago, people thought it was exotic and interesting, now when I mention it they treat China like it's Mordor.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Was the one child policy Han genocide. Their birth rates plummeted in comparison to other groups in the country.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Atrocious Joe posted:

Was the one child policy Han genocide. Their birth rates plummeted in comparison to other groups in the country.

Yes?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

The US doesn't not care the Muslims in the northwest part of China, they only care because its a geopolitical issue they can leverage in the global anti China narrative. Consider this, the west has not said a loving thing about the Muslims killed in Kashmir by the India police, nor the anti Muslim CAA law.

Want more examples? BBC/CNN/western media has published 1000 news item about the Rohingya in Myranmar, they have not said anything about the other ethnic minority genocides in other part of Myanmar. The Karen in the Thai border and the Kashin and Kokang minorities in the north. Not a single thing. Only media who has said anything about the Karen and the Kashin is Al Jazeera. Why doesn't the west (and the brain washed morons on twitter) say anything about the Karens? who are even Christian and suffer genocidal tactics for about a decade earlier than the Rohingyas get any attention? because it doesn't suite the US need to use it as a geopolitical hot button issue to turn a political party inside Myanmar.

This whole factory of Adrian Zenz is US State Dept playing 5D chess.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

please, explain.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The most hilarious anti-chinese sentiment I've heard is "the chinese are ruthless, they only care about personal advancement, making money and winning at all costs. They have no sense of community or honor as opposed to westerners." :ironicat:. These are opinions originating from western chinese expat youtube channels.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mawarannahr posted:

please, explain.

If you're keeping people from having kids by forcing them not to have kids against their will that's bad. If you're doing it based on their race or perceived race, that's a genocide.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

If you're keeping people from having kids by forcing them not to have kids against their will that's bad. If you're doing it based on their race or perceived race, that's a genocide.

tell me more about how the han chinese are genociding themselves

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I am glad we have all these good faith D&D posters coming here to set the record straight.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ted hitler hunter posted:

The most hilarious anti-chinese sentiment I've heard is "the chinese are ruthless, they only care about personal advancement, making money and winning at all costs. They have no sense of community or honor as opposed to westerners." :ironicat:. These are opinions originating from western chinese expat youtube channels.

The main reason I stop reading the GBS thread and unsubscriped. There are lot of other casual nearly as dumb generalizations like "XX area of China have terrible taste in beer" etc.

In fact, it drove me to make china-topic discourse mainly in China language forum, now that I think about it.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Mar 14, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cerebral Bore posted:

tell me more about how the han chinese are genociding themselves

what do you call being forcibly prevented from having children?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Why do you need a special name for it, very good faith poster?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
so the chinese committed genocide on their entire own population, but especially against their ethnic majority

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfvCEaZoa0

♩ let's get down to business ♫
♩ to defeat ♫
♩ the han ♫

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

genericnick posted:

Why do you need a special name for it, very good faith poster?

I guess you don't?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Actually I'm not quite sure what I'm reading here? "IUD placements were substituted for fines once U2C came into place". So the new policy is what? You get an IUD or you pay a fine if you have too many kids? What was the old policy?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Relevant Tangent posted:

Relevant Tangent posted:

I guess you don't?

Just?

Asking questions???

?
????

?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

I think it’s dishonest to frame the one/two child policy as genocide because its intent isn’t to destroy a group of people. It’s a population control measure, that has arguably allowed China to develop a better standard of living faster than otherwise. Obviously it’s extremely invasive, especially if forced sterilization is involved (I admit I don’t know if it is or not), but in any case its intent is clearly not to destroy the Han population, or any population of China.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Population planning, a common practice around the globe.

Especially common in poorer countries where high birth rates paired with uneven economic development affect quality of life for the citizenry.

Admittedly china's two child policy is the most expansive form of population planning, but it's also been by far the most successful at lowering the birth rate. :shrug:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

maybe we should have ramped up economic sanctions on china to punish the ccp for its genocidal one child policy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, there is an argue to be made that if anything it went too far and now the PRC has to pretty rapidly move in a different direction. That said, there is a case to be made that China's policy just was very invasive in everyday lives even through there was a coherent rationale behind it.

As far as Deng, I would say he was taking lessons from Asian Tiger economies, but the willingness of state socialist societies to actively work with the Western financial institutions and corporations long-predates him. Most of Leninism (and by extension Maoism to a large extent) was always pragmatic when it came to day to day economic management, the emphasis was on the control of the vanguard party. It was always about "trust us we know what we are doing."

It is why there was such a hard split with orthodox Marxists early on.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Mar 14, 2021

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Compare China to India's population planning wherein the state merely offers incentives for sterilization and they're still struggling to lower the rate today.

As a result of their slower method many more rural indians live in absolute squalor with little access to contraceptives or abortion, in comparison to the Chinese.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
what is the something awful forums moderator stance on china's one child policy being genocide??

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
weird how a well-known policy from 1978 is just being called genocide now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Han self genocide sounds like the crazy inane things that republicans say about white liberals or whatever