Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pollyanna posted:

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

That guy in general is great for big o' twists and melodramatic moments; AI: Somnium Files is probably his best package overall but VLR has the biggest, craziest, twists.

Helps if you've played 999 first but not strictly necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Isn’t tips for the Arcanist/Painter/Berserker fight? Feels like almost al their attacks just insta kill.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Godspeed Strike.
Seriously, spec for that and you will beat anything in the game.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there really only one BnD player in the first Chapter 2 town????

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Godspeed Strike.
Seriously, spec for that and you will beat anything in the game.

This is true. I accidentally jumped that rare demon on the Ice Floe and absolutely pushed its poo poo in. Godspeed Strike is broken.

Despite that, I'm looking for some fun class combos. I'm up to Chapter 3 and just started the main quest in the Heavensward town.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The producer from BD1 is also on BD2 as a co-producer, but every other key member including the writers are all new people. One of the writers has no other credited game on English Wiki, the other only has credit on one of the ditched extra bits of FF15.

I'm not looking at spoilers but it's definitely a huge shame that BD2 doesn't seem to be actually trying to do anything interesting with the standard "save the 4 crystals" story format like the first game did.

lol they've tricked me into buying so many bravely sequels now

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 14, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Natural 20 posted:

Magic in general is just pretty garbage for damage in this game. The best thing you get is the mastery from RDM but none of it is ever going to compete with the insanity that the physical classes pull out. MDef in general just feels way too high.

I don't know if this is even close to the main problem, but one thing I noticed is that mages have less weight to play around with, yet are no less reliant on equipment than melee jobs are. This is especially a problem if you want to dual wield (which you probably should). Like, they wanted to enforce the standard "casters wear robes, melee uses heavier armor" thing but it doesn't make much sense in this game.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I remember liking from the demo that the problem wasn't "the crystals are getting the juices sucked out of them and this fucks up the world" and moreso that "the crystals are in the wrong place which messes stuff up"; a desert settlement might enjoy water but they're not gonna be prepared it literally flooding the town.

Then they dropped the ball on that. Retrieving the water crystal doesn't help out Savalon at all noticeably (which is relatively understandable), and the other two areas... imo, at least, just don't really feel affected. I feel like Wiswald isn't as good as selling "hey, this isn't natural!" as upfront as Savalon was (where things were visibly submerged) and Rimedhal... might as well have not bothered, honestly.

I still like the job system enough that I can just mash stuff together, and on an individual level the stories are good... but I can see why it doesn't really feel like a Bravely game.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Clarste posted:

I don't know if this is even close to the main problem, but one thing I noticed is that mages have less weight to play around with, yet are no less reliant on equipment than melee jobs are. This is especially a problem if you want to dual wield (which you probably should). Like, they wanted to enforce the standard "casters wear robes, melee uses heavier armor" thing but it doesn't make much sense in this game.

I think this is close to the problem, if not quite. I'm still fairly certain that it is "casters just flat-out can't raise their M. Atk as much as melee characters can raise their P. Atk" - I was able to get Adelle and Elvis pretty close once, and they did similar damage, but that required me to actively gimp Adelle.

Part of it is weight-related; mages can't dual-wield their best staves for magical attack bonuses as easily as they could in Second. Another part is that M. Atk raising secondary gear (headgear, body gear) just doesn't raise it as much as P. Atk raising gear of the same "tier", and equivalent accessories come later - it took forever for Amulets (+10 M. Atk) to appear in shops, and when they did they were competing with Hyper Bracers (+30 P. Atk). Hell, +10 M. Atk is on par with the Flame Talisman you can pick up at the start of the game (+10 P. Atk), as well as the Sensei's Belt which also gives +30 Critical!

I'm guessing that the reason M. Atk bonuses are lower are because in order to use your M. Atk, you have to cast a spell, and spells have multipliers (at least, they did in Bravely Second). Except... I don't know about previous games, but there are a ton of "heavy" physical attacks in this game, which means they also probably have multipliers, so P. Atk bonuses get boosted too! Not to mention that they reworked Barehanded to be a multiplier in this game, so the already-higher bonuses can get even higher!

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

LiefKatano posted:

I think this is close to the problem, if not quite. I'm still fairly certain that it is "casters just flat-out can't raise their M. Atk as much as melee characters can raise their P. Atk" - I was able to get Adelle and Elvis pretty close once, and they did similar damage, but that required me to actively gimp Adelle.

Part of it is weight-related; mages can't dual-wield their best staves for magical attack bonuses as easily as they could in Second. Another part is that M. Atk raising secondary gear (headgear, body gear) just doesn't raise it as much as P. Atk raising gear of the same "tier", and equivalent accessories come later - it took forever for Amulets (+10 M. Atk) to appear in shops, and when they did they were competing with Hyper Bracers (+30 P. Atk). Hell, +10 M. Atk is on par with the Flame Talisman you can pick up at the start of the game (+10 P. Atk), as well as the Sensei's Belt which also gives +30 Critical!

I'm guessing that the reason M. Atk bonuses are lower are because in order to use your M. Atk, you have to cast a spell, and spells have multipliers (at least, they did in Bravely Second). Except... I don't know about previous games, but there are a ton of "heavy" physical attacks in this game, which means they also probably have multipliers, so P. Atk bonuses get boosted too! Not to mention that they reworked Barehanded to be a multiplier in this game, so the already-higher bonuses can get even higher!
The balance of the game feels like they came up with the specialties first for the mages, then balanced them around that. Then didn't bother thinking about how to balance physical attackers.

Mages having more restrictions makes sense when you can double cast spells for free or deal full damage to all targets easily. But then melee-based jobs can do all of that and then some, along with absurd scaling, high weight capacity and good survivability.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Communist Thoughts posted:

lol they've tricked me into buying so many bravely sequels now

I know, god. What’ll it take for something on the level of repeating the story over again, learning more about the true identity of the weirdest character in the game each time, then realizing that actually fixing things involves destroying the crystals not saving them, then realizing that actually no, you need to avoid destroying them long enough to get a shot at beating up the metauniversal demon hijacking their power?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I was always really fond of that weird big spoiler meta element that cropped up in the first two games. Like you yourself are an effectively eldritch inhabitant of the divine realms, who rezs Tis to be your viewpoint and handles the weird temporal poo poo like bravely second and everyone still being able to move even when time got broke. It was neat, and they don't seem to have really done anything similar here.

It's kinda like the let down I felt Bravely Second, where that weird AR movie from the end of the first game promised something kinda wild and crazy and then they did a much safer sorta sequel.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there really only one BnD player in the first Chapter 2 town????

More will pop up as you progress through the story.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

fadam posted:

Isn’t tips for the Arcanist/Painter/Berserker fight? Feels like almost al their attacks just insta kill.

It depends on your level and where your BP is allocated. When I encountered them they would just instantly kill my team before i could act unless I lucked with a 1/10 and absent grinding I didn't have the ability to survive the attack.

So I just set up an unlimited turn combo and murdered them.

One friend of mine had success using the Phantom/Salve maker status effect application combo to cripple their offense long enough to get Buffs from Bard and Debuffs from pictomancer rolling hard enough to make his team invincible.

If you're high enough level you can just set up Godspeed characters on all 4 of your guys and nuke down the opponents before they get to mess you up too hard.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite thing about Bravely Default and Bravely Second is that despite it being two games there's actually 3

The original Japanese release didn't have the hourglass or encounter fixer or anything. This is Timeline A.
Bravely Second happens and near the end of the game the Traveler goes back in time to give Tiz the hourglass and ability to control encounters.
The re-release/international release is actually a different timeline than the original release as it's Tiz charging up the hourglass for Bravely Seconds ending.

It's so goofy. Also if you're really struggling with anything just do the 'I don't care anymore' method and go Final Class main job (True Grit gives you a extra +1 BP every turn), Freelancer Sub (For Body Slam), Picto's 0BP support ability and Bodyslam everything straight to hell. You'll get out of -3 before anything can actually get a turn against you and you just win. It's dumb.

Also question regarding the final dungeon. A lot of the time you'd be stopped and I had Seth go 'oh no, this fog is impossible.' then the screen would flash and the fog would be gone followed by 'wait what...?'

What the gently caress was that? Oh no that is a lot of monsters!! *vanish* Wait what?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also question regarding the final dungeon. A lot of the time you'd be stopped and I had Seth go 'oh no, this fog is impossible.' then the screen would flash and the fog would be gone followed by 'wait what...?'

What the gently caress was that? Oh no that is a lot of monsters!! *vanish* Wait what?

If you pay attention, there's notices that other players' Seths are helping you out, and he's saying "wait what?" in response to the actual message.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kyrosiris posted:

If you pay attention, there's notices that other players' Seths are helping you out, and he's saying "wait what?" in response to the actual message.

I swear I didn't get any of that :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I swear I didn't get any of that :negative:

Hrm. Were you offline at the time, maybe?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kyrosiris posted:

Hrm. Were you offline at the time, maybe?

Nah, least I shouldn't of been. It was weird because I was scanning the screen to see if I missed something but was just ??? 'okay then I guess'

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
magic is bad because they dropped the wizard job.

also i was bashing my head against the (ch6 spoilers) salvemaker/swordmaster/shieldmaster fight and eventually just turned the game off because the game has officially stopped being fun. good game right up until the end where all of the flaws become overwhelmingly apparent.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hm not sure what they were thinking with some the scaling on these late game abilities. The wheels came off the bus a little too easily.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Inflammatory posted:

magic is bad because they dropped the wizard job.

also i was bashing my head against the (ch6 spoilers) salvemaker/swordmaster/shieldmaster fight and eventually just turned the game off because the game has officially stopped being fun. good game right up until the end where all of the flaws become overwhelmingly apparent.
There's a somewhat silly gimmick to that fight. A small tip:

shield bro is vulnerable to sleep

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Rascyc posted:

There's a somewhat silly gimmick to that fight. A small tip:

shield bro is vulnerable to sleep

galahd is far and away the least annoying part of that fight though. glenn can, at any time, spend two or three three bp spamming the contagion bomb to instantly kill my shieldmaster and leave the rest of the party near death, at which point gladys finishes them off.

like, yeah, i could grind out phantom on my salvemaker and do the cheesy thing, but at that point what does the game have left? i'm just gonna drop it altogether because i've wrung all the fun out of it by this point.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Hm not sure what they were thinking with some the scaling on these late game abilities. The wheels came off the bus a little too easily.

I had a funny experience seeing berserker level 15, thinking 'oh that might be broken' and then after some rudimentary tinkering doing hundreds of thousands of damage per character per turn for the rest of the game. Satisfying but like most everything else BD1 did it better.

I just finished. I have a lot of good will for this game even though its flaws are obvious and it's nowhere near the complete package that BD1 was. The one thing this game definitely does deliver on is music which is a huge factor to me, maybe that is doing some heavy lifting in my sentiment. I hope this game does well enough to justify them continuing the series, I think they were about 90% of the way there on most things and just couldn't quite get it over the line. In any case if they can keep revo on the games are at worst just a bonus the music comes with, that guy is insane

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Mages kinda suck yea?

Would be a shame if you got soft-forced into having them for a mandatory boss fight.

(gently caress Reflect Physical Damage)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In practice physical damage is so dumb and rezzing is so cheap you can kinda get by just letting your guys explode themselves and bringing them back over and over if you don't feel like retooling the party. That's certainly what I did, magic is for nerds

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Ultimately my endgame team setup was two Freelancer/Thief with Ringmaster's Spear and Sword of Light, a Freelancer/Salve-Maker with Ringmaster's Spear, and a Freelancer/Arcanist with Crescent Cane. Use the abilities that make attacking multiple targets use full damage. With all of my jobs maxed out the Freelancer just has raw stats in everything and basically I x4 Godspeed Strike'd all the bosses, used Mimic with the non Arcanist characters or threw an Elixir on my entire team, and used Meteor with my Arcanist.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

do u believe in marigolds posted:

Ultimately my endgame team setup was two Freelancer/Thief with Ringmaster's Spear and Sword of Light, a Freelancer/Salve-Maker with Ringmaster's Spear, and a Freelancer/Arcanist with Crescent Cane. Use the abilities that make attacking multiple targets use full damage. With all of my jobs maxed out the Freelancer just has raw stats in everything and basically I x4 Godspeed Strike'd all the bosses, used Mimic with the non Arcanist characters or threw an Elixir on my entire team, and used Meteor with my Arcanist.

I used two Freelancer/Hellblade (Red Sword/Sword of Light), and two White Mage/Spiritmasters (WM Staff/whatever). Ultima blade can hit the entire enemy team for 99,999 guaranteed with convert HP/MP. The two spiritmasters ensure that the entire team is being healed, revived, purged, etc. every single turn, and can fully recharge the HP of the attackers whenever necessary. I slotted the monk HP doubling passive into everyone. It was basically impossible for the team to ever die for any reason at any point, and while the attackers would die repeatedly if the enemy had physical reflect, it was completely irrelevant since they could be revived instantly at any point with full health. The healers actually ended up with so much extra BP when fighting Gwydion that I had to actually have them use the attack command to burn off extra BP to keep the spirits active (he absorbs light, so the spiritmaster attack spells weren't helpful).

And against anything short of Gwydion, two ultima blades killed the entire enemy team and ignored every gimmick that they might have had. You can even swap out one of the swords for the blessing shield to go Ultima Blade -> Cura -> Ultima Blade for 99,999 twice in a single turn.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Holy poo poo, no, I'm returning my copy to Amazon, I can't take this poo poo anymore. This game isn't really excessively difficult if you don't mind min/maxing but holy loving poo poo does it REALLY not want you to enjoy it.

-Black Mage is absolutely useless really quickly. -aga spells that use like a fifth of the caster's MP? Yeah you do barely any more damage on something weak to that element than the -a version, and it's still like a third of the damage stuff like Body Slam does.
-Random trash enemies are FAR too obnoxious from the very beginning of the game. Spamming hard hitting AOE spells, spamming obnoxious status ailments like silence and doom, random enemies mixed in with five times the health and damage of everything else, and more often than not you'll get a full fight of 6 mobs. Trash fights take way, WAY too long and too much thinking and effort in this game, and most of my party wipes (all playing on Normal difficulty) have been to trash fights that I got caught out in and then just got shat all over by RNG within the first turns of a fight.
-Half the loving chests in every dungeon or area are trapped. "Nasty surprise" isn't a surprise anymore when I'm expecting it with every chest and I'm correct more often than not.
-Counters are loving stupid, even morseo that you can't see them on Examine, that they're not consistent so you might not notice them at first, and are WAY too punishing. There are random enemies early on that counter with heavy hitting damage when a character uses a healing spell. That's the kind of poo poo I would expect much later in the game, not at the beginning of chapter 2.
-Boss fights are stupid too, also because of counters but for other reasons as well. Get a class that's S rank with axes? Well the next boss fight is IMMUNE to axes, go gently caress yourself for wanting to use it you stupid rear end in a top hat, go back to the ones you've already mastered and used for half the game so far.
-I really hate how much weight effects the speed stat. My Barbarian/Vanguard character gets a third of the turns my Thief does. Make Thief/lower weight faster, sure, but not by THAT much.
-Similarly, I hate that I can't see turn order in any way and that so many things are so nebulous about what's actually going on. Exclamation points on an enemy could mean my entire team will act before they do, or it means they'll interrupt a Brave chain. Buff icons are just as useless.

And it turns out the story is weak too? No, gently caress this, I'm glad I preordered a physical copy so I could return it. This game feels like a lovely neckbeard-fan-created ISO hack of a Final Fantasy game that's meant to be super loving obnoxious from the first fights. It's not really too difficult, nothing I hate about this game can't be worked around to some degree, but holy poo poo this game is incredibly frustrating and just plain mentally exhausting. I had more fun with Final Fantasy XV than this. What is with job-based JRPGs being so disappointing lately? Yakuza: Like a Dragon was another game that I felt incredibly let down on, but that was mostly focused on the random stupid movement enemies do in combat for absolutely no reason that basically breaks almost everything about the combat.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 15, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Y’all, BnD is so good. Like Triple Triad/Gwent-level good. I just started Chapter 5 and now have so many opponents with so many cards to claim :getin:

I have two decks, one for if the opponent goes first (using the Red Mage Brave card) and one for if I go first (I’ll probably add in the Shieldmaster(?) Default card to this one). It’s very fun and the funky rules are also cool.

Pro-tip: if you back out of playing BnD after winning a match it auto-saves so, in case you lose a match and have to give up a card, you can close/reopen the game and the auto-save slot will be before you lost.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I unlocked a job that has Sub Job BP Saver

I haven't gotten the skill yet but... this means 1BP skills are free? Aren't there 1 BP skills that give your party members BP? Also 1BP Skills that do loads of damage?

This seems really good

I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment and really enjoying how it feels my job combos are clicking but there is a LOT of dungeons and combat. Like if you do not want to actively engage in difficult JRPG combat do not play this game. I take a lot of breaks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, it’s still a good game, it just...could be so much better story-wise. :sigh:

I wonder how much of BD2’s end state is influenced by COVID.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't gotten the skill yet but... this means 1BP skills are free? Aren't there 1 BP skills that give your party members BP? Also 1BP Skills that do loads of damage?

This seems really good

I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment and really enjoying how it feels my job combos are clicking but there is a LOT of dungeons and combat. Like if you do not want to actively engage in difficult JRPG combat do not play this game. I take a lot of breaks

It does, in fact, enable all of those things you suggest.

It is, in fact, really good.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Okay seriously what the hell is up with elements in this game?

I swear that up to Genbu being vulnerable to an element takes the utmost priority in determining damage; if you nullify earth but are weak to wind you'll take damage from Disaster. But for whatever reason Elemental Supplement isn't letting me bypass it? I thought it was just something weird with him absorbing it but bringing it down to nullify doesn't help, either??

Genbu does halve wind damage so I guess it uses the sum of elemental resistance levels to determine the result (wind resist 1 + earth resist 2 + water resist -1 = 2, negation). Which makes something resembling sense but it's still absurdly agitating, especially since Disaster feels like the main way mages can pretend they're on the level of melee units. I can just use Elemental Supplement every other turn and have Adelle wreck the boss (before immediately dying and needing to be res'd :U)

Also does that mean that when "Vulnerable: Whatever" pops up in that situation I'm not actually hitting a vulnerability, it's base damage? Or does vulnerability completely overwrite half damage if the spell actually deals damage? This freaking game...

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I’m in chapter 3 is it too early to grind?

If not what’s the best place to go? I read earlier some rare monster fights are good?

I have lots of jobs now and wanna do some combo stuff

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I used two Freelancer/Hellblade (Red Sword/Sword of Light), and two White Mage/Spiritmasters (WM Staff/whatever). Ultima blade can hit the entire enemy team for 99,999 guaranteed with convert HP/MP. The two spiritmasters ensure that the entire team is being healed, revived, purged, etc. every single turn, and can fully recharge the HP of the attackers whenever necessary. I slotted the monk HP doubling passive into everyone. It was basically impossible for the team to ever die for any reason at any point, and while the attackers would die repeatedly if the enemy had physical reflect, it was completely irrelevant since they could be revived instantly at any point with full health. The healers actually ended up with so much extra BP when fighting Gwydion that I had to actually have them use the attack command to burn off extra BP to keep the spirits active (he absorbs light, so the spiritmaster attack spells weren't helpful).

And against anything short of Gwydion, two ultima blades killed the entire enemy team and ignored every gimmick that they might have had. You can even swap out one of the swords for the blessing shield to go Ultima Blade -> Cura -> Ultima Blade for 99,999 twice in a single turn.

I'll have to try this set up out when I get to the end game on my new game+. I just restarted and kept my inventory, jobs, and job levels. I made sure to sell off almost everything that could be bought at a vendor save some good low weight items.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
oh my god Edna's battle theme uses Wicked Flight and Adelle's Special theme so well

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This seems really good

The final job in the game at level 12, plus that skill and body slam means you can go -3BP and never lose another fight in the game no matter how underleveled you are.

This game is not very well balanced lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Make sure you do the sidequest from the shieldbearer guy in rimedahl for a coda to the gladys story, if you haven't already. I was a little surprised by how they navigated the issues with that character there. Not to say it worked per se but it was a kind of interesting attempt