Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
the "woke zoomers" he's talking about learned that poo poo from internet millennials who also went woke and annoying online, it's not a generational thing it's a way-too-loving-online thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

be nice to the zoomers. they didn't have lead poisoning like boomers

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1prUl-G8L8k

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

zoomers “don’t worry about” their student loans for the same reason i, a millennial, didn’t worry about them until it was too late: we got loving scammed

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I think the issue is that even if you do this, there's a good chance that, in the weeks/months that follow before they actually vote, they end up just changing their mind and deciding to vote for the person the TV says is best.

This is why "making people think leftist policies/politicians are good" is not an answer. You have to make them think that other Democrats are bad. Otherwise they'll think "yeah Bernie is great!" and then still vote for Biden. But this is easier said than done, because many people are put-off by "negativism" and have pre-existing positive opinions about the Democratic Party.

Yeah this is basically how you get folks going "well i like Bernie a lot, but MSNBC thinks that Biden is the safest option and he supports the same things I like about Bernie anyway" once they go into the voting booth.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

zoomers know they're hosed they just don't care as much because they weren't lied to their whole lives like millennials were so it's the only fate they know

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

misadventurous posted:

i guess i get the criticism behind “idpol” but it is a word i mostly associate with some truly loving inane leftistposting

A leftist criticizing IdPol doesn't mean they are some kind of red+brown vanguard, they are speaking against obvious corporate tokenism that idiot believers in the democrat party use as cudgel against policies that improve material conditions for everyone. Don't hand wring about however the boogiemen in your head use it, and look at the context it is actually used in.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

THE JEWS ARE EATING BABIES FOR SATAN IN HOLLYWOOD
:wow:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Nichael posted:

it's insane that they had a better campaign structure in 2016, the election where Bernie was running purely as a protest opposition up until late 2015, than they did in 2020. he had years of lead up time, what the gently caress were any of these people doing?

Oh Snapple! posted:

i'm going to make a big assumption that his 2016 campaign had a larger percentage of "true believer" folks who actually wanted to get poo poo done while his 2020 campaign was filled with people there for a paycheck at best and personally hostile toward his politics at worst

I've been trying to suppress how disappointed I've been with the 2020 primary since Super Tuesday.

Ultimately, to me the major loss was not leveraging the existing volunteer network to do more coordination and planning before primary season. There were a lot of passionate and committed people with different skill sets and perspectives that could have been more effectively utilized to plan and win. There really was no game plan to coordinate the tactical with strategic plan at all when there easily could have been in early 2019. There was also another major missed opportunity in leveraging data for targeting local efforts and ads (at least from national people I talked to). I don't know if it was Bernie's, Jeff Weaver's, or someone else's doing - or simply from lack of continuity between the two campaigns as a lot of people did roll off. Deep down, I feel that the campaign would have been better managed by Paradox Games players than Jeff Weaver, Faiz, et al.

One place where the campaign seemed to have been more effective was in directly canvassing immigrant groups & labor. But that was still tip of the iceberg in terms of potential. Separately, there were some quality-of-life improvements in organizing with the updated digital platform, i.e. being able to create canvassing events and attract volunteers but that's marginal value without a coordinated plan.

Even then, I don't know if Warren, unambiguous media suppression and interference, and the Obama rat-loving could have been overcome.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Zoomers only play limited?

nah, they all start in limited and then amass huge piles of cards and play every format because they have all the time in the world to spend at the game store making trades

THS
Sep 15, 2017

pete buttigieg tried and succeeded in stealing the narrative in iowa, then literally every single opponent of bernie sanders endorsed joe biden. it's a depressing thing to think about

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

misadventurous posted:

zoomers “don’t worry about” their student loans for the same reason i, a millennial, didn’t worry about them until it was too late: we got loving scammed

yeah lol that's what i'm saying

they haven't had the rug pulled out from under them yet

they have run off the cliff and not yet had gravity explained to them mid-way

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this forum and basically everyone here went real hard in for sanders and it's only now getting to enough emotional distance that i think we can really come to terms with how crushing it was to go from nevada and to now

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

pete buttigieg tried and succeeded in stealing the narrative in iowa, then literally every single opponent of bernie sanders endorsed joe biden. it's a depressing thing to think about

Don't forget that every single thing said in the media about the candidates was designed at a molecular level to favor Joe Biden.

In a society of soundbites and headlines it's pretty impactful when they are all lies trying to transparently push a narrative that then works completely

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

THS posted:

this forum and basically everyone here went real hard in for sanders and it's only now getting to enough emotional distance that i think we can really come to terms with how crushing it was to go from nevada and to now

seeing all the candidates roll over for Biden at once in the 2020 primary was enough to completely end my enthusiasm with politics

i understand the system is a complete fabrication, and I know they won't dispel any part of the illusion because the whole thing would fall apart if they did.

they went through all this trouble to try to reassure us that the primary process wasn't a sham and then they made it even more obvious the second time around. they could just get rid of the primary process, but then people might realize wall street are picking the candidates

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

misadventurous posted:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Don't forget that every single thing said in the media about the candidates was designed at a molecular level to favor Joe Biden.

In a society of soundbites and headlines it's pretty impactful when they are all lies trying to transparently push a narrative that then works completely

bernie lost because of the extreme amount of apathy among large segments of the US. it was still very low voter turnout - the whole point of Sanders was to turn out disenfranchised citizens and in the primaries it didn't work in some states. i don't think the bernie campaign was misrun necessarily, tho \

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

THS posted:

bernie lost because of the extreme amount of apathy among large segments of the US. it was still very low voter turnout - the whole point of Sanders was to turn out disenfranchised citizens and in the primaries it didn't work in some states. i don't think the bernie campaign was misrun necessarily, tho \

i think covid ruined any chance of bernie taking it even if the other candidates hadn't all laid down and died after a smokey back-room meeting

people were nervous about attending primaries and many states had no mail-in infrastructure so it was always gonna come down to whoever had the most money

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Mar 15, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

with his specific campaign goals is also the implication that he is still in the democrat primary process for a presidential election and those other voters still exist and he needs the votes that are being turned off by an organized multi-billion dollar mass media machine designed to destroy him as a candidate, even if he is targeting other ones with specific tactics and outreach

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Mirthless posted:

i think covid ruined any chance of bernie taking it even if the other candidates hadn't all laid down and died after a smokey back-room meeting

it was incredibly bad timing and we're all paying for it. there is probably a non-covid alternate reality where he recovered and the rest of the state voting went forward as usual. sucks

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

THS posted:

it was incredibly bad timing and we're all paying for it. there is probably a non-covid alternate reality where he recovered and the rest of the state voting went forward as usual. sucks

2020 was a pretty fuckin dissapointing year

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Covid is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened to the Democrats in general and their ability to deny health care to people; it's massively aggravating to think about. Like it's practically a divine gift it was so perfect for them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i was at a bernie volunteer event we had set up at a bar and one of the bartenders was some gen z dude and I was like "so you down with bernie?" and he was like "nah, i'm not voting for any imperialist poo poo man" and i was blown away in retrospect at how right he ended up being

the kids may be alright

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I love how the vast majority of people who talk about it have zero idea what accelerationism actually is.

And by love I mean hate.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

A leftist criticizing IdPol doesn't mean they are some kind of red+brown vanguard, they are speaking against obvious corporate tokenism that idiot believers in the democrat party use as cudgel against policies that improve material conditions for everyone. Don't hand wring about however the boogiemen in your head use it, and look at the context it is actually used in.

lol. no i get that, just saying i usually associate it with, oh i dunno some goon telling me not to hand wring about the boogiemen in my head

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Most of the people who vote in Dem primaries/who the DNC expects to vote for them in November would probably be OK with Wall Street picking the candidates. The Panera, Brunch, and younger idpol-motivated segments have unshakable naive optimism about the political system and trust in those who manage it. All that's needed is the perception that there's accountability for those who violate that trust (e.g. even if Cuomo isn't unseated or Trump isn't ejected from office, the fact enough outrage exists is that accountability).

The RNC is the party portraying itself as the party for the (culturally) dispossessed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah in alternate Bernie Sanders reality the same rear end in a top hat Senators just voted down his entire aid bill citing run away spending just to gently caress him and he is on TV thanking them for their efforts.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mirthless posted:

nah, they all start in limited and then amass huge piles of cards and play every format because they have all the time in the world to spend at the game store making trades

the Zoomers that can afford a bunch of Magic cards aren't a great cross section of society

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

with his specific campaign goals is also the implication that he is still in the democrat primary process for a presidential election and those other voters still exist and he needs the votes that are being turned off by an organized multi-billion dollar mass media machine designed to destroy him as a candidate, even if he is targeting other ones with specific tactics and outreach

yeah the consolation prizes for losing were: now bernie sanders is probably the 3rd most powerful democratic senator - but what cold comfort. there is very little he can really do. the biden administration is full of real ghouls and mass murderers

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

i think covid made their job easier, but they would have eventually taken more drastic measures to defeat sanders, and succeeded.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Zoomers that can afford a bunch of Magic cards aren't a great cross section of society

These are the zoomer pmc

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

WorkerThread posted:

i think covid made their job easier, but they would have eventually taken more drastic measures to defeat sanders, and succeeded.

DEMOCRATIC MAJORITY FOR ISRAEL

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Good soup! posted:

I mean yeah if my only exposure to youngsters were through the kinds of kids that play mtg, I'd be unimpressed too

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

guidoanselmi posted:

Even then, I don't know if Warren, unambiguous media suppression and interference, and the Obama rat-loving could have been overcome.
It could have resulted in someone other then biden winning the presidency though. And any leftist that wants to destroy the democratic party has to be willing to with hold support regardless of the alternative.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I think Bernie lost 2020 in WA state mostly because a bunch of well meaning poo poo libs like friends of mine said "well I really like Bernies policies and politics but I want a woman to win so I voted for Warren"

this was my experience too, totally infuriating

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this was my experience too, totally infuriating

finding out a ton of my friends who constantly posted about bernie before super tuesday when california voted admitted they voted for warren afterwards

all of them in six figgy software jobs too

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

misadventurous posted:

lol. no i get that, just saying i usually associate it with, oh i dunno some goon telling me not to hand wring about the boogiemen in my head

I am one of the earliest posters in this forum to use the word, so this tracks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If warren had dropped out so would have bloomberg, and bloomberg hurt biden worse than warren hurt bernie. Bernie got absolutely stomped because there's a ceiling for a message of "I want big time change from everything the last president did" when he refuse to criticize anything obama related directly

He basically campaigned to raise awareness like it was a kony 2012 poo poo. Total waste of time. He couldn't even beat buttigieg in iowa despite buttigiegs platform consisting of "I'm a nobody with no ideas"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Shipon posted:

finding out a ton of my friends who constantly posted about bernie before super tuesday when california voted admitted they voted for warren afterwards

there aren't a lot of bernie -> warren people here, wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC