Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Persona games would have an easier time with separating 'gag' violence from 'real' violence by giving all of the characters SD portraits to use during comedy skits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's also the whole thing where Ryuji was physically abused by his father and Kamoshida (to the point that his leg is hosed up.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Between Junpei and Ryuji, man the bros really have a bad track record with dads huh. Yosuke doesn't mind his dad but he's also the reason he got dragged to the boonies.

Actually the game generally has a bad track record with dads in general? Dojima's ehhh, Iwai needs to get slapped into the role... I think the only real positive dad characters right away are Sojiro and uh, Yukari's dad?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Makoto’s dad seemed fine, apart from being dead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Sounds terrible, why would you be friends with anyone who does such awful things to you? Simple answer is because it's a gag. Persona might not be a comedy but it is absolutely loaded with comedy. All that was missing win those scenes was a horn going womp womp. Persona loves its 90s humor.

But some people really take gag scenes super seriously. I've honestly heard people ask why the Investigation Team are even friends given the high number of these scenes. And it isn't even that high but people remember them and Mystery Food X and etc. and judge all of the IT's relationship with each other by those standards. The standards of scenes you are not in any way supposed to take seriously or think about and which have absolutely no bearing on the characters.
The reason people take those scenes seriously is because they aren't funny in the slightest. Like people don't worry about Kanji's embarrassment with being publicly nude because the scene where he has to cover himself with a leaf is funny. If those scenes were funny, people wouldn't care. But they aren't, so people take them at face value.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He was also a cop, so automatic dubious territory. :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

Between Junpei and Ryuji, man the bros really have a bad track record with dads huh. Yosuke doesn't mind his dad but he's also the reason he got dragged to the boonies.

Actually the game generally has a bad track record with dads in general? Dojima's ehhh, Iwai needs to get slapped into the role... I think the only real positive dad characters right away are Sojiro and uh, Yukari's dad?
The Thieves stand out on this front because their dads are dead, poo poo, nonexistent, or some combination of this.

Except for Kasumire, her dad is shockingly decent considering everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

He was also a cop, so automatic dubious territory. :colbert:

By all accounts he got killed for actually trying to do the right thing so he was one of the few decent ones.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hunt11 posted:

By all accounts he got killed for actually trying to do the right thing so he was one of the few decent ones.

I think it's implied that Dad Nijima got taken out by a mob hit?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't think any dead dads should be eligible. That leaves us with. Hm. Chie might have a good dad? Yosuke's dad seems to have adopted Teddie, unless Yosuke has been hiding him in the basement or something.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

YggiDee posted:

I don't think any dead dads should be eligible. That leaves us with. Hm. Chie might have a good dad? Yosuke's dad seems to have adopted Teddie, unless Yosuke has been hiding him in the basement or something.
Yukiko's parent are from what little we hear of them decent folks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Persona games would have an easier time with separating 'gag' violence from 'real' violence by giving all of the characters SD portraits to use during comedy skits.

That's a good idea. Saw it in classic 90s anime like Fushigi Yuugi so it would go perfect in Persona.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

I think it's implied that Dad Nijima got taken out by a mob hit?

That was the implication.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Thieves stand out on this front because their dads are dead, poo poo, nonexistent, or some combination of this.

Except for Kasumire, her dad is shockingly decent considering everything.

Ann's is in the 'my parents travel a lot' territory, I... think? I don't know if she ever mentions them aside from her ethnicity.

Did... Futaba ever mention her dad? I don't remember but it's been months since I played P5.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ann's is in the 'my parents travel a lot' territory, I... think? I don't know if she ever mentions them aside from her ethnicity.

Did... Futaba ever mention her dad? I don't remember but it's been months since I played P5.

Ann has that anime "parents work overseas 80% of the time and never see her" thing.

Sojiro just says that Wakaba never told anyone about Futaba's father, which is about as much as we get for Yusuke's dad.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Futaba never mentions her dad and her uncle is her mom's brother rather than her dad's.

Is Kasumi's mom dead or do they just never mention her?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Nah, though the ambiguity did lead to that dumb "Futaba's dad is Shido" theory that one of the previous threads had.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namnesor posted:

From the viewpoint of Ryuji being a teenager, I actually kind of like those scenes because of Ann's reactions: during the beach cutscene, she just loving laughs at him, and then when he tries to peep an upskirt, she just waves him off.

from the viewpoint of the omnicient camera, it sucks

The times that bothered me were the summer festival (which wasn't like, that bad really) or prior to Futaba's palace because those were times when she was definitely not okay with it. Doesn't make Ryuji a monster or anything and I think he and Ann come off as friends mostly, but definitely parts that stuck with me.

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a debate I've been having with some people since I played P4 for the first time in 2017 - what to make of gag scenes.

People give Yosuke poo poo but it is Chie who introduces herself by physically assaulting him in a very vulnerable, dangerous spot without any real provocation and also ​later on steals his money.

Sounds terrible, why would you be friends with anyone who does such awful things to you? Simple answer is because it's a gag. Persona might not be a comedy but it is absolutely loaded with comedy. All that was missing win those scenes was a horn going womp womp. Persona loves its 90s humor.

But some people really take gag scenes super seriously. I've honestly heard people ask why the Investigation Team are even friends given the high number of these scenes. And it isn't even that high but people remember them and Mystery Food X and etc. and judge all of the IT's relationship with each other by those standards. The standards of scenes you are not in any way supposed to take seriously or think about and which have absolutely no bearing on the characters.

Never made sense to me.

Chie is one of my least favorite modern persona party members along with Yosuke, Morgana and Teddie, incidentally.

The series is grounded enough in general that over the top slapstick violence doesn't feel appropriate, especially because they do have scenes of more reasonably friendly ribbing.

Endorph posted:

The reason people take those scenes seriously is because they aren't funny in the slightest. Like people don't worry about Kanji's embarrassment with being publicly nude because the scene where he has to cover himself with a leaf is funny. If those scenes were funny, people wouldn't care. But they aren't, so people take them at face value.

Eh, 50-50. Even if it was funny it'd probably feel inappropriate for the general tone of trying to be at least based in reality.

If the girls lined up and gave Ryuji a friendly bop it wouldn't be funny but I wouldn't think it was a bad scene or anything.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 15, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Basically our dad options are 'lovely', 'dead', 'absent', or 'fails to notice their child fighting monsters daily.' Could be worse, they could be Persona 2 dads.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Basically our dad options are 'lovely', 'dead', 'absent', or 'fails to notice their child fighting monsters daily.' Could be worse, they could be Persona 2 dads.

Weaboo and Conspiracy Dad weren't too terrible.

I think Lisa's dad actually fights off the Nazis IIRC.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

YggiDee posted:

In which persona games are true to life v:v:v

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I like Chie . I just feel like her aggressiveness is because she’s a girl who’s comfortable hanging around boys so she feels as if she has to “act tough” .

She reminds me of a friend I had in high school who was similar in that regard.

Then again I’m only 20 hours in so we’ll see how she changes (or not).

*edit*

Also Yukiko has a habit of smacking people for perceived slights so both her and Chie are...aggressive.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

They're both great and I love 'em. I prefer Yukiko but Chie is still great.

But Chie has always been highly beloved by everyone, be they Japanese or English posters on forums like this.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chie is canonically Charlie Tunoko's wife.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I feel Ann’s response before Futaba’s palace is less discomfort because they’re being pervy and more that she’s hot and sweaty and feels gross and they’re looking at her back to see her bra strap. Like more of an oh god not the time you guys thing.

Especially because she doesn’t care at all when Ryuji is clearly appreciating her in her bikini at the beach. Basically Ann is fine with Ryuji being attracted to her in scenarios she wants to be attractive, which makes sense. That’s kind of Ann’s deal overall, she’s fine with being attractive to men, when it’s on her terms and at times she chooses to be attractive.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel Ann’s response before Futaba’s palace is less discomfort because they’re being pervy and more that she’s hot and sweaty and feels gross and they’re looking at her back to see her bra strap. Like more of an oh god not the time you guys thing.

Especially because she doesn’t care at all when Ryuji is clearly appreciating her in her bikini at the beach. Basically Ann is fine with Ryuji being attracted to her in scenarios she wants to be attractive, which makes sense. That’s kind of Ann’s deal overall, she’s fine with being attractive to men, when it’s on her terms and at times she chooses to be attractive.

Is that supposed to be a response to what I said or was it just throwing it out there, because I don't see how that relates at all.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Acerbatus posted:

Is that supposed to be a response to what I said or was it just throwing it out there, because I don't see how that relates at all.

I was commenting on you mentioning before Futaba’s palace yes, and then musing as to why Ann has different reactions in different situations to Ryuji.

I think it’s actually very well handled, Ann has clear defined situations she is happy to be ogled and appreciated and ones where she is not, but she clearly never actually feels threatened by Ryuji at all.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

I was commenting on you mentioning before Futaba’s palace yes, and then musing as to why Ann has different reactions in different situations to Ryuji.

I think it’s actually very well handled, Ann has clear defined situations she is happy to be ogled and appreciated and ones where she is not, but she clearly never actually feels threatened by Ryuji at all.

I get that, I was saying that it's still pretty skeevy and that even if Ann is sometimes okay with it, it was definitely wrong of him to do and kind offputting.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, this is what it felt like to me. Half of Ann's story is about learning to accept her beauty on her own terms.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

“Hey me and this incredibly handsome young detective have a rivalry loaded with hidden double meanings and potentially-sexual tension, can we kiss?”

To be fair part of this is a clash between Royal and base P5. In base P5 the handsome young detective has basically no relationship with the characters until he blackmails his way into the party to kill Joker. There isn't a relationship there.

In P5R there's a real confidant link with genuine conversations rather than something that ranks up automatically. There's an incredible amount of sexual tension especially when the detective throws a glove at Joker and declares them to be enemies but actually kissing would derail the plot. You can't have a Persona romance with someone who's dead or out of the picture by Valentine's day but I think that the canon bad ending Maruki's Reality does have this romance.

That said that in no way excuses every female confidant being romanceable including the homeroom teacher, and none of the male ones. Just that this link is interesting and nuanced and it's the wrong circumstances.

And yes, I find the slapstick in P4 and P5 don't fit the tone of the rest of the games. Is there any equivalent in any of the versions of P3?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

YggiDee posted:

Yosuke's dad seems to have adopted Teddie, unless Yosuke has been hiding him in the basement or something.

Yosuke's dad definitely knows about him, considering he hires Teddie and all.

But for where he stays, I find it quite hard to forget that Teddie, as a pretty boy, literally lives in Yosuke's closet.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah, this is what it felt like to me. Half of Ann's story is about learning to accept her beauty on her own terms.

I just don't see how Ann being comfortable with her beauty on her own terms makes it less bad for Ryuji to look down her shirt when she clearly is not okay with that.

I'm not saying he's a horrible monster or people should hate him. I like Ryuji. I just think it's worth mentioning.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

And yes, I find the slapstick in P4 and P5 don't fit the tone of the rest of the games. Is there any equivalent in any of the versions of P3?

The entire SMT franchise is full of bizarre humour and I think it's better for it.

The demon negotiations in particular are often a lot sillier than depicted in P5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Not really. There's a single hot springs joke where Mitsuru freezes the guys for trying to peep and then leaves them in the springs to thaw out, that's it. And the FeMC route of P3P drops that joke entirely.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

neonchameleon posted:

To be fair part of this is a clash between Royal and base P5. In base P5 the handsome young detective has basically no relationship with the characters until he blackmails his way into the party to kill Joker. There isn't a relationship there.

In P5R there's a real confidant link with genuine conversations rather than something that ranks up automatically. There's an incredible amount of sexual tension especially when the detective throws a glove at Joker and declares them to be enemies but actually kissing would derail the plot. You can't have a Persona romance with someone who's dead or out of the picture by Valentine's day but I think that the canon bad ending Maruki's Reality does have this romance.

That said that in no way excuses every female confidant being romanceable including the homeroom teacher, and none of the male ones. Just that this link is interesting and nuanced and it's the wrong circumstances.

I'm staring at Shinjiro being romanceable in P3P.

P3 has a hot springs joke, which is pretty bleh and a sadly time honoured tradition (it shows up in P4G and P5S).

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm staring at Shinjiro being romanceable in P3P.

P3 has a hot springs joke, which is pretty bleh and a sadly time honoured tradition (it shows up in P4G and P5S).

I assume he meant in P5 because P3P yeah you can romance a bunch of dudes (even one you really shouldnt) and one girl.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
OOookay, I am still trying to get through P5R so I can swing at P5S, and I do genuinely like the game! But I just got past where I dropped off in the original, up to the beginning of the fifth(I think? It started in September, for Okumura ) and...the leadup to this palace is sort of a mess? I mean, I like the Morgana Leaves subplot on paper, but come on, couldn't we have trimmed that down, and that drat Hawaii trip for that matter, in order to give some a little more screentime to this new character who is basically being married off against her will into an abusive relationship? It feels like the seems of P5's (supposedly) messy production is showing here.

EDIT: Maybe I am missing something, but it just feels like there is a lack of cohesion.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 15, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I found the Persona 5 Official Design Works book at the store today and wow, some of the early artwork was pretty nuts? The super early concept art makes it look Payday, early Mona just looks creepy and Akechi was Makoto's brother originally.

A really nice book though. I may have to track down the equivalents for P3 and 4.

Unlucky7 posted:

OOookay, I am still trying to get through P5R so I can swing at P5S, and I do genuinely like the game! But I just got past where I dropped off in the original, up to the beginning of the fifth(I think? It started in September, for Okumura ) and...the leadup to this palace is sort of a mess? I mean, I like the Morgana Leaves subplot on paper, but come on, couldn't we have trimmed that down, and that drat Hawaii trip for that matter, in order to give some a little more screentime to this new character who is basically being married off against her will into an abusive relationship? It feels like the seems of P5's (supposedly) messy production is showing here.

EDIT: Maybe I am missing something, but it just feels like there is a lack of cohesion.

It becomes slightly clearer in hindsight. Big spoiler: The Phantom Thieves were deliberately lead into taking on Okumura in order to frame them, Haru's presence is entirely incidental. She doesn't get as much focus pre-dungeon because it was never really about her.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did not look at your spoiler, but if it is that I am just being a bit premature about the assessment then I am fine with that. It just felt weird to me, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unlucky7 posted:

I did not look at your spoiler, but if it is that I am just being a bit premature about the assessment then I am fine with that. It just felt weird to me, is all.
It will (hopefully) make more sense in retrospect, let's leave it at that.