Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fallout 3 and Tactics suck poo poo.

Tactics is especially bad. How tf can you call that game good lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Fallout 3 and Tactics suck poo poo.

Tactics is especially bad. How tf can you call that game good lmao.

On the upside, Tactics really nailed how completely terrible the brotherhood of steel are

Too bad so many people are bad at recognizing how bad the brotherhood of steel are

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout Tactics was my first go at the series so I had no problems overlooking that it wasn't an RPG. I enjoyed the combat quite a bit.

Guess my unpopular opinion is that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on PS2 was an okish take on the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance formula? You get to play as a ghoul so that's something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gently caress mods, I don't give a poo poo about mods. I played the game as it was sold and had a fantastic time. It's funny most of the time someone is like "FALLOUT 3 IS A poo poo TURD OF A GAME" its because they tried to cram it with gigs and gigs of mods to try and make it a different experience.

This is an egregiously bad take, most people who played Fallout 3 did so without mods and massive numbers of them came away with a common opinion: that Fallout 3 is a poo poo turd of a game on its own merits, with or without mods

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Too bad so many people are bad at recognizing how bad the brotherhood of steel are

Who cares? They're not real.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

cargohills posted:

How you feel about video game factions is a great way to judge your moral character and value as a person, idiot

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

How you feel about video game factions is a great way to judge your moral character and value as a person, idiot

I think there's somewhere in between "games are fiction nothing matters lol" and "you're going to shoot up a school if you play violent video games". Games where you get to play Nazi dressup do not make you a Nazi but do attract Nazis.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

cargohills posted:

Same reason it's bad for people to think Gordon Gekko was virtuous

But sure whatevs

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

lobsterminator posted:

FO3 owes so much to the radio soundtrack. I love swing jazz in general, but their song selection was really nice. It was really disappointing when FO4 had several same tracks. Everyone already heard those tracks a thousand times playing FO3, get something new! It's not like there's a shortage of 40s and 50s music. Maybe licensing rights are hard idk.

Every song needed a reference to nuclear bombs, just like how in the real world all pop music references the Holocaust and other atrocities from previous centuries.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 15, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Disco Pope posted:

Every song needed a reference to nuclear bombs, just like in the real world all pop music references the Holocaust and other atrocities from previous centuries.

*Apocalypse happens IRL and I get frozen in bunker for 200 years*

*I wake up and venture into the wasteland, and discover a live radio signal!*

"We gotta stop the mosque at Ground Zero..."

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Apocalypse happens IRL and I get frozen in bunker for 200 years*

*I wake up and venture into the wasteland, and discover a live radio signal!*

"We gotta stop the mosque at Ground Zero..."

If they were still playing that Toby Keith song I'd make it my mission in life to find those transmitters and shut them down.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

We need an 80s-retro-future-apocalypse-RPG franchise.

Vice City meets New Vegas.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallout 2 has one of the worst opening sequences in any game and is loving wacky as hell all the time forever.

It also sucks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Can't wait for a Fallout type game where everything ended in the mid 90s and the radio is Local H, Marcy Playground, Better than Ezra, Dishwalla, and Seven Mary Three.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Barudak posted:

Fallout 2 has one of the worst opening sequences in any game and is loving wacky as hell all the time forever.

It also sucks.

If you're talking about the temple, that's not unpopular. Nobody liked the temple, I think of the most-after mods was the one that skipped it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

Can't wait for a Fallout type game where everything ended in the mid 90s

*Obtains sick skateboard for combination melee weapon/transport.*

*Finds skeletons still wearing their 3D glasses*

*Stops in at the Cult of Bel-Air, hears about renowned Prince of California from before the war*

Barudak
May 7, 2007

*Everyone wants to look like Nick Nolte, the undisputed sexiest man to ever live*

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Lodin posted:

Guess my unpopular opinion is that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel on PS2 was an okish take on the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance formula? You get to play as a ghoul so that's something.

I'm with you on this.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rutibex posted:

you can see what the GECK does in Fallout 2. Vault City was built using a GECK, and its still mostly a desert wasteland

vault city is located in northern nevada so it might have just restored it to its original state

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

In general, gently caress a catch-all Luck stat if its not clearly mechanically defined. In some games Luck is godly since it boosts all stats enough or the hidden variable it controls is insanely good and important and in others you max it out and it'll increase your drop rate by .5%

Mario and Luigi has the luck stat be 'Stache

For Bowser, it's Horns

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Cool the unpopular game opinion thread turned into NMA,
Internet
Internet never changes.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
No Rocket League on Mac is dumb bullshit. They already had it running before just recompile the code.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol who plays games on a Mac, shouldn't you be doing spreadsheets and poo poo or whatever it is Macs are good for

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I played games on a mac until the year 2000 when I bought a pc specifically to play everquest on

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Mac is great for talking about Mac.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember when NMA was considered the worst place on the internet and full of unreasonable toxic fans because they didn't like Fallout 3

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

video games and open source have never mixed and they look to never will

(cuz a lotta open source is explicitly corporate funded for strategic reasons, and video game peeps dont have permanent relations to each other or enough business customers for this to ever make sense)

linux and bsd wouldnt be nearly as popular if the goog, intel, amd and others didnt wanna gank microsoft and apple

I get why developers don’t release their source code (there were some gross comments in the Star Fox 2 leak) but it has been massively successful for the Doom series.

Bethesda can still sell Doom ports, but they actually have to compete with the fan-made source ports offering 60fps, mod support, etc. John Romero can still make money making Doom levels. Sigil is free but you can pay for the version with the high quality soundtrack.

The endless mods and level packs kept Doom relevant for the nearly two decades between the original games and Doom 2016. I know Doom 3 exists (and is also open source) but you’re not exactly circle strafing a dozen revenants and arch-viles like a real doom game.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
The new macs are friggin' light, powerful, and have ridiculously long lasting battery charge. Also they *already* had the game running perfectly until Epic Epic'ed it up.

Epic fail :sigh:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yes but money they don't make is better than money someone else makes or money they could have been making. money

That loving Sned posted:

I get why developers don’t release their source code (there were some gross comments in the Star Fox 2 leak) but it has been massively successful for the Doom series.

Bethesda can still sell Doom ports, but they actually have to compete with the fan-made source ports offering 60fps, mod support, etc. John Romero can still make money making Doom levels. Sigil is free but you can pay for the version with the high quality soundtrack.

The endless mods and level packs kept Doom relevant for the nearly two decades between the original games and Doom 2016. I know Doom 3 exists (and is also open source) but you’re not exactly circle strafing a dozen revenants and arch-viles like a real doom game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, it's pretty standard for suits to throw massive tantrums about only making some of the money when they could be making all of the money.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when NMA was considered the worst place on the internet and full of unreasonable toxic fans because they didn't like Fallout 3

To be fair there was a pretty big contingent on that forum who didn't even like Fallout 2. I loved how angry they got about Megaton, which turned out to be the most interesting environment in the game imo, because it didn't make brain logic sense for people to live next to a bomb.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Fallout 3 was pretty fun at the time. New Vegas was apparently good too (never played it). I played a bit of 4. Got to the part where they introduced bases and got bored. Never played the others. Seems like an okay setting? Never got the massive appeal honestly.

In summary, Fallout is a land of contrasts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Workaday Wizard posted:

Mac is dumb bullshit

No one really gives a poo poo about Mac gaming

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Last I heard most of NMA actually liked New Vegas.

syntaxfunction posted:

Fallout 3 was pretty fun at the time. New Vegas was apparently good too (never played it). I played a bit of 4. Got to the part where they introduced bases and got bored. Never played the others. Seems like an okay setting? Never got the massive appeal honestly.

In summary, Fallout is a land of contrasts.

You've played all the worst non-spinoff ones, so.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

No one really gives a poo poo about Mac gaming

Imagine if Apple hadn’t neglected games for decades and there was anything worth playing on the new M1 MacBooks. They can actually play games decently without being a concrete slab with 30 minutes of battery.

Instead I got a laptop with a Ryzen 4600H and it works great for emulators and older games since they don’t have to run through multiple compatibility layers (x86 to ARM, 32-bit to 64-bit, Windows to macOS).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People on these forums love to hate on Destiny, BioShock and Fallout games while simultaneously playing all the terrible anime games out there :shrug:

I mean i don't want to sound overly insulting but id rather stare at a wall and entertain myself with my own head thoughts rather than play Kingdom Hearts or Persona

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You've played all the worst non-spinoff ones, so.

I'm sure the others are better, but brown and post apocalyptic is honestly not an interesting setting. Like wow, we blame the Chinese for this one instead of the Russians, and we call them Ghouls instead of zombies. Really engaging stuff.

Also I'm watching a friend play the Kingdom Hearts right now. I like it, in the same way I like The Room or Plan 9 From Outer Space.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I was being super harsh in my last post, i probably wouldn't stare at a blank wall rather than play persona, id just go to sleep instead

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

People on these forums love to hate on Destiny, BioShock and Fallout games while simultaneously playing all the terrible anime games out there :shrug:

I mean i don't want to sound overly insulting but id rather stare at a wall and entertain myself with my own head thoughts rather than play Kingdom Hearts or Persona

You can say a lot of things about Kingdom Hearts and Persona, but they're not boring games. In Persona 3, the characters summon their Personas by putting guns in their mouths and pulling the trigger (the guns are called 'evokers'). Kingdom Hearts features Goofy and Donald Duck hanging out with with Squall from Final Fantasy 8 as if it's the most natural thing to do. I spent most of my play time of both games just wondering how the gently caress they even got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You can say a lot of things about Kingdom Hearts and Persona, but they're not boring games. In Persona 3, the characters summon their Personas by putting guns in their mouths and pulling the trigger (the guns are called 'evokers'). Kingdom Hearts features Goofy and Donald Duck hanging out with with Squall from Final Fantasy 8 as if it's the most natural thing to do. I spent most of my play time of both games just wondering how the gently caress they even got made.

Yes your 2 sentence soundbites do sound cool but its more the 150 hour game attached that puts me off