Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Trabisnikof posted:

As opposed to means tested free college , free universal college will put for a lot more rich white kids to go to college.

The only difference between means tested and not is more rich white people can get a kickback if it isn’t means tested.

Shocker which one the Bernie Bros support.

yeah but wouldn't rich kids already be able to afford college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Extremely mad that Lord Fuckofferthon III, esq. can also take advantage of free college for his kids, even though there's only 1 of him for every 1,000,000 people in actual need

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

spacemang_spliff posted:

can someone from D&D pop in here and explain why it's racist for leftists to want to free universal college as well

primary education for minorities is so terrible that they can't compete with white people for uni admission and so free college is a gov handout to white people. that's their argument and it is presented with absolute certainty that reforming k-12 funding isn't already a plank in their opponent's policy positions

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Why would rich people take out a loan if they can afford it straight out?

edit:

Tricky D posted:

primary education for minorities is so terrible that they can't compete with white people for uni admission and so free college is a gov handout to white people. that's their argument and it is presented with absolute certainty that reforming k-12 funding isn't already a plank in their opponent's policy positions

I've seen a number of them say this, but they're also fans of charter schools which is ???

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
The reason people do the "we shouldn't give free college to rich people" is to deflect conversation away from raising taxes to pay for it.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Blockade posted:

Why would rich people take out a loan if they can afford it straight out?

appreciation on held assets versus carrying costs for the loan, which are going to be substantially better than average given the holdings you'd already have with the issuing bank.

if you got money they just give you money, basically.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I bring up the difference between Democratic partisanship and careful non-disruptive planned incrementalism as an ethos because I spend almost all of my time surrounded by PMC left liberals who are legitimately disappointed by a lack of progress and annoyed that they had to settle for Biden, but are also fully bought into bureaucratic PLANS!!! nonsense and ask a lot of questions about how a minimum wage increase will impact small businesses

a fascinating creature, it is

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Thump! posted:

I once had someone tell me that CHOP was text-book domestic terrorism

to be fair it was in the sense that half the leadership probably were cashing paychecks from Quantico.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Giggy posted:

The reason people do the "we shouldn't give free college to rich people" is to deflect conversation away from raising taxes to pay for it.

The class of people who made this decision don't recognize money as having value and don't care about taxes

They care about the class divide

It's not about how much you have, it's about how much others have in relation to you.

Higher education was always a marker of wealth and status and wasn't even considered a valuable thing to have for a career until it became broadly affordable to people trying to pose as higher class than they were. The people who are opposed to affordable tuition see the current regime as a good thing, a system working as intended, and want their children to be separated from your children because that's the only thing that matters to them at the end of the day

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

"universal free college actually hurts PoC and is therefore racist," i say, as an extremely smart person who is actually more woke than you

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
One of the greatest tricks the wealthy every pulled on the working class was tricking them into thinking they care as much about their taxes as we do about ours

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

i think it’s that they believe a universal program will “equally uplift “ everyone and do nothing to reduce inequality, it simply changes the “level” like it’s setting the gain on an equalizer or something. this is clearly wrong for a number of reasons but it makes some intuitive sense

I don't think they're wrong that it won't reduce inequality meaningfully, but they are wrong that you shouldn't pursue universal programs. They just need to be in tandem with reparations and other methods of addressing centuries of racism.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tricky D posted:

again, that point isn't wrong.... but it's so weird that the right wing ghouls they prop up don't support free college and universal pre-k, and making sure k-12 actually is able to serve poor kids.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My God the ratio... I've never seen anything like it

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Blockade posted:

I've seen a number of them say this, but they're also fans of charter schools which is ???

the psychotics who push charter schools have such a broad spectrum of brain damage that it's impossible to assume whether they are privatization ghouls, fundies who don't want their kids exposed to evolution/sex ed, neo-segregationists, or brunch addicts who 'only want the best' for their children. any given one could be a combination of all of the above.

Nichael posted:

again, that point isn't wrong.... but it's so weird that the right wing ghouls they prop up don't support free college and universal pre-k, and making sure k-12 actually is able to serve poor kids.

yeah, but we already know that fixing racism isn't really the point

Tricky D has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Mar 15, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boo boo bear posted:

appreciation on held assets versus carrying costs for the loan, which are going to be substantially better than average given the holdings you'd already have with the issuing bank.

if you got money they just give you money, basically.

this won't work with traditional student loans which despite being non dischargeable have a ridiculous interest rate even for the "low interest" ones. they could get a different type of loan at a low interest rate, but not a "student loan" which would be discharged under these plans.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Nichael posted:

I don't think they're wrong that it won't reduce inequality meaningfully, but they are wrong that you shouldn't pursue universal programs. They just need to be in tandem with reparations and other methods of addressing centuries of racism.

this is what a lot of people seem to fail to understand. having universal programs doesn't preclude you from also making substantial reparative reforms to address the systemic racism and inequity. you can do both.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

People like my Senators don't support free college, but they support maybe giving you $10,000 off certain student loans if you go off and join a "national service" for a year. Meanwhile, their kids get free college from winning the sperm lottery:

But it's okay, because they're the real bulwark against racism. They even have tweeted out the hashtags #BLM and #pride once or twice.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

really queer Christmas posted:

My God the ratio... I've never seen anything like it

"Minority sex-servant" is one hell of a phrase to use for what appears to be a loving partner.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

tmfc posted:

this is what a lot of people seem to fail to understand. having universal programs doesn't preclude you from also making substantial reparative reforms to address the systemic racism and inequity. you can do both.

they know you CAN do both

but they would really rather do neither, shrug, and be content knowing that better things aren't possible

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

man how weird it is that the 'PMing someone twice is tantamount to sexual assault' people are the same people on the wrong side of almost every issue in USPOL

The wrong side being the bloodless 'if only my opponents were more educated or passed a civics test, they would see the need for these concentration camps' side, to be clear.

I'm getting dangerously close to doxxing by remembering people's posts though, I better watch out.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

People like my Senators don't support free college, but they support maybe giving you $10,000 off certain student loans if you go off and join a "national service" for a year. Meanwhile, their kids get free college from winning the sperm lottery:

But it's okay, because they're the real bulwark against racism. They even have tweeted out the hashtags #BLM and #pride once or twice.

Hmm that guy sounds like a dick. He should get primaried out of office.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thump! posted:

where can i send my money

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Let's see how that's going:
https://twitter.com/ScottHech/status/1371516306911023106

"I'm going to legalize marijuana, but cops can still arrest you and send you to jail for it"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

maybe Grandma Sally Coons can make Expand Your Horizon trusts for the various poor people of color in Wilmington, assuming they aren't murdered by bloodthirsty government sanctioned kill squads

Thump! posted:

nah that'd be racist

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Euphoriaphone posted:

"I'm going to legalize marijuana, but cops can still arrest you and send you to jail for it"

lmao

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

why doesn't cuomo just loving legalize it to distract from the cavalcade of victims coming forward

edit: clearly the answer is :matters: and he knows he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, never resign, and win reelection in 2022

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

why doesn't cuomo just loving legalize it to distract from the cavalcade of victims coming forward

because he is ideologically opposed to the legalization of marijuana

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tricky D posted:

the psychotics who push charter schools have such a broad spectrum of brain damage that it's impossible to assume whether they are privatization ghouls, fundies who don't want their kids exposed to evolution/sex ed, neo-segregationists, or brunch addicts who 'only want the best' for their children. any given one could be a combination of all of the above.

there's also the group of people who live in states that have never had competently managed education systems and rely on magnet schools, charters and private school systems for their entire skilled workforce

this is a self perpetuating problem - people express outrage over poorly managed education system >>> federal government reforms system >>> state government blocks meaningful reforms >>> people outraged over failed reform distrust the government to handle reform >>> people elect state officials who promise to stop the next awful reform measure

It's the same thing that happened with Obamacare. People don't care that the opposition party blocked the reform, they care that the reform failed. It reinforces their already held belief that the government bureaucracy can't manage vitally important systems. They don't see the failure of public schools in their state as a failure of local administration, they see it as a failure of the federal government to create a system that can't easily be politically destabilized, and they're not loving wrong

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Nichael posted:

edit: clearly the answer is :matters: and he knows he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, never resign, and win reelection in 2022

Cuomo doesnt even have to worry. He wont resign and no one will ever get the fortitude to actually impeach him because they're all clout chasing

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

silicone thrills posted:

Cuomo doesnt even have to worry. He wont resign and no one will ever get the fortitude to actually impeach him because they're all clout chasing

There's not going to be any serious push to topple Cuomo because they don't want the same standards to be held to the commander in chief

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

where can i send my money

i'll pm you my venmo info send me the money

Nichael posted:

maybe Grandma Sally Coons can make Expand Your Horizon trusts for the various poor people of color in Wilmington, assuming they aren't murdered by bloodthirsty government sanctioned kill squads

nah that'd be racist

i'll take racist money idc

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Mirthless posted:

There's not going to be any serious push to topple Cuomo because they don't want the same standards to be held to the commander in chief

Or themselves. Let's not be charitable. If they're tacitly allowing it, they're probably actively doing it.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cuomo could be governor for life if he legalized marijuana and cocaine.

Legalizing the latter will probably make the stock market soar even higher too.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

loquacius posted:

plot of luigi's mansion 3: luigi must get bloody revenge on the wa brothers before he can successfully download the boo ghost of Mario into a clone body with the help of Professor E Gadd (who has an eyepatch and a robot arm now as per my deviantart concepts original idea do not steal)

e: wrong thread but I'm leaving it

can’t wait to play it this spooky season, I played 1 and 2 last october for the first time and loved them

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Euphoriaphone posted:

The police unions don't want to lose marijuana enforcement because they know it's the only reason a third of their officers or more were hired, and Cuomo doesn't want bored cops because bored cops ends up with demands for reform and spending cuts which means pissing off the police union

it's so easy to read what is happening here and it's so gross

John_A_Tallon posted:

Or themselves. Let's not be charitable. If they're tacitly allowing it, they're probably actively doing it.

yep

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Cuomo could be governor for life if he legalized marijuana and cocaine.

Legalizing the latter will probably make the stock market soar even higher too.
gently caress YEAH number go up

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Mirthless posted:

there's also the group of people who live in states that have never had competently managed education systems and rely on magnet schools, charters and private school systems for their entire skilled workforce

this is a self perpetuating problem - people express outrage over poorly managed education system >>> federal government reforms system >>> state government blocks meaningful reforms >>> people outraged over failed reform distrust the government to handle reform >>> people elect state officials who promise to stop the next awful reform measure

It's the same thing that happened with Obamacare. People don't care that the opposition party blocked the reform, they care that the reform failed. It reinforces their already held belief that the government bureaucracy can't manage vitally important systems. They don't see the failure of public schools in their state as a failure of local administration, they see it as a failure of the federal government to create a system that can't easily be politically destabilized, and they're not loving wrong

the 'federal government can't do anything right' people are the privatization ghouls. it's the same argument they use to justify selling off infrastructure and maintaining the current for-profit healthcare system. in this case, their motivation is to divert public education funds to private interests. there's really no reason to give these people the benefit of a doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

love having a debaathification problem

i'm sure the nice police lady in my building that wears her sidearm down to get the loving mail would find something to do