Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
So we couldn’t beat bonass as a flursome because we were woefully undersupplied.

However before our attempt my buddy did a very daring solo journey into the mountains and found silver, obsidian, and killed / tamed wolves. We ended up getting wolf cloaks each so we can live there more comfortably.

I think we are going to brave the elements to skip iron for a lot of things and go straight to silver to annihilate bonemass next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm making a giant island base, but on a good portion of it the raise ground maximum is still coming up below sea level during storms so I'm going to have to fill it in with stone to level it out before putting down my stone floor foundation. Do all of the stone pieces provide the same structural support? I was just going to use the 4x2 wall if that's the case since it appears to be the most efficient cost-wise.

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
I'm bored, so decided to make *SPOILER* this vid to show how powerful ooze bombs can be.

Pill Clinton fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 16, 2021

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

My appreciation of the mountains has improved upon learning that you can trap Stone Golems in a pit and as long as you don't kill them, they won't respawn in the area you're trying to build in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Golems are also nice if you are working a big trench, they usually can't get in, and just stay up top fighting other things that might get drawn to your noise

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tower shield, so no parry, so probably bad, imo

It's this (tower shields also have an extra -5% move speed debuff, blech), which is a shame because kite shields are sweet. Would be cool if it was actually good, especially since you have to go out of your way to get it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

dialhforhero posted:

I think we are going to brave the elements to skip iron for a lot of things and go straight to silver to annihilate bonemass next time.

How did you locate silver without the item from bonemass?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
sometimes the top of a silver vein is exposed, but it isn't common.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Want to know how to game pathing? Build stairs, get mob to go up stairs, jump off stairs, remove a section of stair that leads to the ground: now the monster is stuck on the stairs. Unless it can “jump” like blobs or fenrirs, it will just be stuck.

Works super well.

I want to try this by using the raise ground/pickaxe while a monster is on a particular area.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty easy to yo-yo AI as well, if they can't path to you they'll turn around and sprint to the horizon.

So jump to your safe spot when they get close, shoot them as they flee, then jump back down to draw them back in. In general it's more trouble than it's worth because it's even easier to cheese the AI by backpedaling, but it is an option that's available.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

How did you locate silver without the item from bonemass?

I found one just sticking out of the side of mountain (only a sliver of it mind you), and found many others by just randomly digging; I probably dug 4 test trenches about 2 pickaxes deep and 12 long, and hit silver on 2 of them. Might have gotten inhumanely lucky, who knows.

You can always try what I did: climb to the exact top of mountain and then dig on the first flat surface you see, the RNG gods will certainly have put a deposit at the spot that is hardest to recover it from!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Furism posted:

Oh yeah, the Mountains are much better for me. I like that there's not an enemy at every corner, and when you do see one they are a bit more challenging. And also it's gorgeous.

Swamps for me were pretty "meh" and annoying, but when I was showing the game to my 6 years old he first said "meh, it's not that scary." Then night game and he was much less comfortable, and when a bunch of skeletons and Draugr and even a Wraith (I think? The black things that over) showed up all at once we basically had to leave because he started to be genuinely scared (don't worry, I'm not a crazy person, my kid loves to be scarred, he asks for it, and he never has nightmares kthx). And also he thought that having to build scaffolding to collect Guck as stupid (I tend to agree). So clearly they nailed the atmosphere, but as grown-up, experienced players we might be immune to it.

My three (nearly four) year old caught me playing it once and obsessively keeps asking to watch me play/asking for me to get it for him. I managed to stave off the latter by telling him he needs to finish learning to read but the former.... I'm torn because the art style means everything is poofs and not particularly graphic... but I feel like this game would be nightmare-inducing (he was watching me play the swamp).

Then again one of my favorite childhood memories was being absolutely terrified watching my dad play Zork Nemesis (granted I was a little older) so.... :shrug:

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 16, 2021

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

thanks for the tips! i've heard iron armor isnt necessary to beat bonedaddy, is it still recommended?

any thoughts on the serpent scale shield?

I did him with troll armor, a banded shield, and iron mace. I plucked a couple of fire arrows at him, but found the mace to be more worthwhile. I needed 2 poison meads. Stamina meads would have made it go smoother. Just keep the adds clear and be patient in when you strike.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Phigs posted:

Sprint stamina and work/fight stamina need to be different. I hate having to power walk everywhere because I need that stamina to fight with.

Just take tasty meads with you and zoom around until stam is depleted. If you get caught out drink some mead.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Molybdenum posted:

sometimes the top of a silver vein is exposed, but it isn't common.

Yeah I think the tenth vein I found was just randomly sticking out the side of a slope, I was surprised. You could really go insane with that and iron pickaxes since frostnir vs swamp stuff is just lol

My five year old watched me play for a while today and
1) yelled at me for throwing trash in the water it's bad for the animals, I need to make a garbage can with the metal I was smelting
2) I had to make forest homes for animals to make nests from some of the logs I chopped down. Roofs solved this problem very well

He is extremely invested into the giant skeeters

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tower shield, so no parry, so probably bad, imo

Tower shields have a place in laggy multiplayer games where parrying is near-impossible, I've found, but beyond that I don't like them.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why did you build down instead of up? It's easy enough to adjust the height and position of stairs if you're not quite lined up.

I'm dumb, mostly. I couldn't see quite where I was headed from the bottom and didn't want to go wildly off-course, whereas I had better visibility from the top. That said, it was terrible, and I wouldn't do it again.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
All I need is pigs. I wandered to the edge of the black forest and a snowy mountain but only found 3 more pigs. This is going to take a while.

I have a full stack of deer leather, the deer keep coming back but where did all the pigs go?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sanctum posted:

All I need is pigs. I wandered to the edge of the black forest and a snowy mountain but only found 3 more pigs. This is going to take a while.

I have a full stack of deer leather, the deer keep coming back but where did all the pigs go?

You could herd and tame them if you've got the time to let them keep breeding.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Boar are limited to the Meadows I think. That's the only place I ever see 'em

E:oh you're in the meadows aren't you? I dunno, they definitely do respawn, but I guess your hunt continues

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leather scraps dramatically drop in importance once you get to the swamp too.. probably not worth really farming.

They can be annoying to find when you need them though. Just wander through any meadows every so often and you should get some at least.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sanctum posted:

There are certain runestones that spawn a bunch of boars, and certain locations where boars tend to spawn in general. I recommend setting up shop next to some spawn points so you dont have to worry about it, since scrap leather can be an annoying gating material early on.

Failing that, go on a nice, long journey exploring the entire landmass and killing every boar you find along the way. You should be able to come up with 10 or 20 scrap leather at minimum. Make sure to also collect all the thistle and feathers (by shooting the birds) along the way--you can never have enough of that stuff and it's valuable all game long.

Domesticating boar is more trouble than it's worth and is mostly a fun thing to do after you've basically beaten the game.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 16, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

Leather scraps dramatically drop in importance once you get to the swamp too.. probably not worth really farming.

They can be annoying to find when you need them though. Just wander through any meadows every so often and you should get some at least.

still worth making up some boar pens, plus practice for getting doggies later. Always gonna need more leather for banners. If you're thinking "what, I never make banners" that's fine too, you're the one who has to live there.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Passive scrap/meat farm: build some sharp stakes. I do a pass around my base walls from time to time and pick up all the meat and leather that the pigs and deer left behind after committing seppuku.

I have an actual pig factory going too, managed to find a 2-star boar and bred it until I had a couple other 2-stars, then turned all the regular pigs loose. Now I let them breed until the pen is full, open the gate and let all but a couple of 'em out, rinse, repeat. There are pigs everywhere and I don't need to maintain them, just whoever is in the pen until they make more. I had a need for some scraps and wandered around for about half a minute murdering all the 2-star pigs, got more than enough. Obviously works with unstarred too, just need more of 'em.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Actually, here's a short list of surprisingly valuable endgame mats that you can start collecting early and make use of all game:

-Feathers
-Raspberries
-Standard meat (uncooked, but don't be afraid to also cook up and use it as you go--just don't cook all your extras!)
-Thistle
-Bloodbags (it's tempting to just avoid the leeches, but you're far better off killing them)

Notably, none of the leathers make the list. You want to have stacks of everything of course but you rarely end up using more than ~10 or so deer hide or leather scraps at a time. The items on this list all get piled into mid- and end-game arrows, meads, and foodstuffs like crazy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

We've ran short on Deer Hides before, if you're running multiplayer with a bunch of people there is a strong demand for them for putting boats everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

We've ran short on Deer Hides before, if you're running multiplayer with a bunch of people there is a strong demand for them for putting boats everywhere.

Go raze a town in the plains, those buildings drop a shitton of leather.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Do silver veins ever go away?

My buddy and I established an outpost in the mountains for the first time and the wishbone item pinged us to a presumed silver location. We dug down and reached bedrock and couldn't dig any deeper then I realized our bronze and antler picks can't dig silver after doing some research.

So we went there the next day and the spot doesn't ping anymore. Do veins despawn?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It only pings till you find it, otherwise you'd go insane. Going back to a previously found node won't start pinging again

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Once you discover the thing it will no longer ping you

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Zwabu posted:

My buddy and I established an outpost in the mountains for the first time and the wishbone item pinged us to a presumed silver location. We dug down and reached bedrock and couldn't dig any deeper then I realized our bronze and antler picks can't dig silver after doing some research.

So we went there the next day and the spot doesn't ping anymore. Do veins despawn?

And by "discover" the game means "the first time you hit the silver vein with your pick".

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Did you find a necklace? It's buggy and will continue to ping till you go away and come back

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Taffer posted:

Did you find a necklace? It's buggy and will continue to ping till you go away and come back

There was a buried skeleton that I dug up. That's it. No vein. But it continued to ping strong in the one spot after I dug up the skeleton and picked up the bone fragments, but no ping and no vein when we came back the next game day with our newly crafted iron axes. So pissed off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, graves are buggy like that. I found unequipping and reequipping the wishbone (after finding the skeleton) stopped it from doing that. But also now that you know that's a thing it's easy to see the surface and go "oh this isn't a vein" and move on.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Made a composite of my map so far that I have been playing on. In terms of progression, this is right before killing the 4th boss. The mapping in this game is really neat, and definitely tells a story about how your group progressed through the tiers. Will be interesting to see how the currently unmapped/unexplored plains fill in - especially curious about the big rear end continent that runs from the north-western most explored territory down almost all the way to the fully explored areas in the middle.

I’ve been pretty happy with this seed - iron was a PITA, but each boss was on a new, but somewhat close by island, and forests, mountains, and plains seem to be plentiful and with good access to the first few iron/bronze processing satellite outposts we put down (near the elder, bonemass, and at a midpoint between the two).

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it would be nice if they added some unbreakable megatrees to the black forest biome. Like so you just couldn't deforest it, because it makes for some really beautiful shots but building anything it when it would just get demolished by trolls seems eh.

I would like to build a treehouse but I am not building one in the swamp.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Ive killed the first boss, but i killed it at a site that wasnt marked as opposed to the one the game marked for me. Im about ready to kill the 2nd boss, but it wont show me a location. It still shows the other location for the first boss. I even killed it again at the marked spot to try and clear it. Anything else i can do?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

Ive killed the first boss, but i killed it at a site that wasnt marked as opposed to the one the game marked for me. Im about ready to kill the 2nd boss, but it wont show me a location. It still shows the other location for the first boss. I even killed it again at the marked spot to try and clear it. Anything else i can do?

Where are trying to find a location for the second boss? The sigil at the standing stones only ever shows you the first boss. Do you mean that when you find a marker for The Elder in the dark forest that it still shows you a marker for Eikthyr?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ZombieCrew posted:

There are multiple boss spawn locations for each boss, you can always clear the boss location from your map whenever, if you want to find the elder location you need to look for structures and dungeons in the forest.

Woden
May 6, 2006
How safe is it to transport carts on a longship?

Found a large swamp that'd easily take 5+ trips to clear out that I'm slowly chipping away at, and would prefer to skip multiple boat trips if possible.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Pretty safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The emergent storytelling in this game might be the best I've seen, and still manages to draw me into things that should be old-hat by now.

I thought I had completely played out the swamp in the largeish biome I had located and set up my third base at, so I was ready to go after bonemass (though still pretty short on iron after the third crypt was a total bust). Was trying to find a sailing route to Bonemass and what I thought was a strait I was barely squeezing my longship through turned out to be a river delta that just had a tiny strip of dark forest in it's mouth. Instead of breaking through to an ocean on the other side I found my longship in a wide river full "in" the swamp with all the rain and darkness that entails.

I'm just sailing this giant boat down a gently bending river only about two boat-lengths wide, in that dark smoky swamp fog, letting the boat mostly drift on it's own power as I run around shooting the leeches. Looking up from my leech cleaning suddenly there's multiple spouts of fire surrounded by demons coming out of the ground , and a pair of crypts right on the water's edge. Just spooky as gently caress like the night scene from Jarhead with the burning oil fields.

Not wanting to beach my longship right there because of the leeches I pulled a three-point turn and headed back to the tiny dark forest island I remembered being in the mouth of the delta. Coming in I spot a greydwarf spawner on the beach with a tower behind it. So I get up a good head of steam, point the boat at the beach and run to the prow shooting arrows into the crowd of greydwarfs, jumping off into the mob and hitting the ground swinging as the boat beaches itself like some loving :black101: poo poo.

Make my way back along the river on foot after setting up a portal on the island I reach the first crypt and there's a body pile right inside the first room. Spotting a couple elites (including a starred one) I jump right in cocky as gently caress only to get my poo poo pushed in not by the elites (which weren't really giving me a big problem) but by a two-star loving Legolas Draugr at the back of the room which must have been shooting loving pine trees because I want from not even worried to dead before I even noticed something was going wrong. After a long period of first getting my poo poo back using old gear, and then slowing digging that rear end in a top hat out of his hole (complete with respawning meatshields from the body pile), I find the room is just scattered with rubies and amber pearls, and a chest of 17 scrap iron. I've pulled two full stacks out of that first crypt so far and it feels like it's barely more then halfway clear. Feels nice to have all that ordeal rewarded with a fat haul.

Shout out to the antler pickaxe crew I was giving poo poo, the revelation that it mines the muddy scrap piles at the same rate has made me a new convert for crypt-diving now that I've started putting up a campfire in the door and working on site until it's clear instead of running back and forth when the sun goes down. Now I'm just filling chests with loot on the edge of the river for the inevitable longship extraction. Still think my life got a lot easier mining copper when I upgraded it because I was always carting my haul back to my nearby forge-equipped camp/base.

Now I'm thinking about damming the river (to keep the leeches on the swamp side) and turning my little island into a fortified outpost. Something :black101: as gently caress about seeing the mast of my beached longship through the pines as I'm coming and going from my portal tower.