Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JordanKai posted:

Every time Ross turns into Red Hulk he flexes his mustache off, obviously.

You joke, and yet....

During the Thunderbolt run where it was mostly red heroes, the Punisher decides he's going to kill all the Thunderbolts. He captures them all one by one. With Ross he hits him with a gamma bomb to drain him of his powers, before fighting him while wearing a suit of Ironman armour.

But when Ross transformed into a weaker version of the Red Hulk, he still had his moustache. So clearly Ross gets so strong as Red Hulk, he loses his moustach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

OnimaruXLR posted:

what does "of the railways" mean

The text makes him sound like he protects displaced and otherwise homeless people, but "of the railways" makes him sound he carries his shield in a bindle on a stick while freighthopping during the great depression

I am confused by this as well. There are a ton of homeless LGBT youth out there (disproportionately not white/cis, which is its own can of worms), but.... railways? Is this story set in 2021 or 1931?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

"What if Superman: Grounded, but good"

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions there, Walker is with them. I have to imagine it's a scenario where Steve invited him along to be nice and now Sam and Buck are going to be resenting it for the entire trip.

actually what am i talking about that does sound good

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Love the revival of Captain America's computer hotline.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions there, Walker is with them. I have to imagine it's a scenario where Steve invited him along to be nice and now Sam and Buck are going to be resenting it for the entire trip.

actually what am i talking about that does sound good

Basically that scene from Civil War (the movie version) where Sam and Bucky are crammed into the tiny hatchback, but for 5 issues.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barry Convex posted:

I am confused by this as well. There are a ton of homeless LGBT youth out there (disproportionately not white/cis, which is its own can of worms), but.... railways? Is this story set in 2021 or 1931?

Homeless populations across the country have been drastically increasing adjacent to freight tracks over the last few years. There's been concerted 'out of sight, out of mind' efforts lately where those all but abandoned areas are the only place they won't be harassed by cops.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Homeless populations across the country have been drastically increasing adjacent to freight tracks over the last few years. There's been concerted 'out of sight, out of mind' efforts lately where those all but abandoned areas are the only place they won't be harassed by cops.
I assume if you are willing to take the risk, the old fashioned hobo style of travel still works, too. The main difference would be you might have to go sit in the gravel or coal bin.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nessus posted:

I assume if you are willing to take the risk, the old fashioned hobo style of travel still works, too. The main difference would be you might have to go sit in the gravel or coal bin.

Train yards have armed guards that shoot trespassers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There is definitely still a subculture of train hitch-hikers. There's YouTube videos that literally show you how to do it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Hootington posted:

Train yards have armed guards that shoot trespassers.
They did in the Depression as well.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the bulls

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know what this character's deal is going to be but a lot of immigrants from Central American railhop to get into the US. The Salvadoran journalist Oscar Martinez has a book about it, Los migrantes que no importan. I've also met a small number of people who, when they were young, found themselves in bad situations with very few material means to get out of those situations, and who found hopping on trains a way to just get to somewhere else. Again, as Macdeo Lurjtux alluded, a lot of overlap with queer kids who found themselves homeless. It's definitely something people still do.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That Cap makes me want them to finally use that Scrap Iron Man concept that was floating around years ago.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

There is definitely still a subculture of train hitch-hikers. There's YouTube videos that literally show you how to do it.

Yeah, I think it's mainly a crust punk type of thing inside the US as opposed to people using it for free transit because it's incredibly dangerous and they have a fair deal of security as mentioned. I don't think trains make as many stops as they used to as well and you can get stuck in the middle of nowhere, in extreme weather, for hours because the train stopped for some reason and they don't know someone is hanging out in the back.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This was about a decade ago, but I have a friend who freight hopped from Seattle to Sacramento, and he said he wasn't the only one. And I know several people who were tagging trains way more recently than that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Marvel felt like it proved me right in this was an extremely delightful issue of her on Earth hanging out with her supporting cast. Also get it, girl!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Skwirl posted:

This was about a decade ago, but I have a friend who freight hopped from Seattle to Sacramento, and he said he wasn't the only one. And I know several people who were tagging trains way more recently than that.

hmm, possible I'm just ignorant here then

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm really digging Spider-Woman. Thought this arc wrapped up well even if I'd think Carol needed a little bit more of an apology before she was cool with what happened. Has Karla Pacheco written anything else other than some one shots? I really dig her work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

A lot of the time, when train hopping, you don't sneak on or off the train when it's stopped at the train depot, you do it slightly outside while the train is moving slowly, that's the main reason it's dangerous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Barry Convex posted:

Generally a good baseline assumption for going through life.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

I'm really digging Spider-Woman. Thought this arc wrapped up well even if I'd think Carol needed a little bit more of an apology before she was cool with what happened. Has Karla Pacheco written anything else other than some one shots? I really dig her work.

There's this sort of frenetic on cocaine vibe to the Pacheco's plotting that I haven't quite vibed with, but other than that, yeah it's good.

Today's Captain Marvel was fun -- if you want see Carol's large sister in a dress this is the issue for you -- but I'm not sure how I feel about Thompson having Carol stare down a bottle again. I know addiction is tricky and not something you're ever really over (a point this issue makes), nor should that aspect of her character be ignored, but, it also seems like it could be a driver for really lazy drama so I always get a touch nervous when it comes up. In Kelly we Trust I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

There's this sort of frenetic on cocaine vibe to the Pacheco's plotting that I haven't quite vibed with, but other than that, yeah it's good.

Today's Captain Marvel was fun -- if you want see Carol's large sister in a dress this is the issue for you -- but I'm not sure how I feel about Thompson having Carol stare down a bottle again. I know addiction is tricky and not something you're ever really over (a point this issue makes), nor should that aspect of her character be ignored, but, it also seems like it could be a driver for really lazy drama so I always get a touch nervous when it comes up. In Kelly we Trust I guess.

That frenetic plotting may be in part due to the fact that Jess was pretty messed up the whole arc and since she's our POV here it fits.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just found out that Dan Slott blocked me on Twitter; I don't recall any recent tweets at him, so maybe he namesearched and found any of my snarky comments about his 616 episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That dude namesearches like it's his job.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey you got lucky, at least you didn't have to interact with him first

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lurdiak posted:

Christos Gage does it for him?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

radlum posted:

Just found out that Dan Slott blocked me on Twitter; I don't recall any recent tweets at him, so maybe he namesearched and found any of my snarky comments about his 616 episode.

Lurdiak posted:

How Wonderful! posted:

:perfect:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

Holy poo poo.

radlum
May 13, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Holy poo poo; this was amazing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

How Wonderful! posted:

:popeye: holky funk

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

:perfect:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Man, I was really willing to give Trials of Ultraman a shot. Rise of Ultraman promised Ultraman fighting giant monsters and a science team of good guys working alongside, after all. Maybe they'd course correct from the bad tone and worldbuilding of Rise and Trials would be alright.

Trials of Ultraman sucks so loving bad. The first page, the first loving page of the first issue is a Vietnam veteran getting assaulted by anti-war youth, until he pulls a knife on them. And that's the end, there's no resolution of that story or anything, because that page is just given as an example of the wickedness in man's heart that spawns Kaijus. That's the first loving page.

And then we get 30 pages of the worst Marvel brand banter I've ever read. I hope you like the standard fish out of water alien banter you've heard a million times before! Ultraman doesn't understand sarcasm! What a funny alien. Everybody is so sassy all the time, even in situations where it is not at all warranted!

The entire point of Rise of Ultraman was that the USP was covering up some horrible secret, and the shady boss was trying to keep it under wraps. But that all got resolved, secret revealed, now the USP is the good guys. BZZT, WRONG, it turns out they had a higher up shady boss, and guess what? She's keeping a horrible secret under wraps!

With Rise of Ultraman, it was clear that the people making this comic don't really give a poo poo about Ultraman. Which is fine, as long as they make something else good. But this is dogshit. They're on issue 6 of this Marvel Ultraman, and they're already spinning their wheels and repeating themselves. All I can hope is that Marvel gets these people off Ultraman and let someone, anyone else take a crack at it. Because this is so loving bad. Anything else would be better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

And I can already guess the deep dark secret the new USP boss is hiding. You see her talking to a hologram of a humanoid figure that she calls sire, and it's not happy about Ultraman. So it's going to be an alien. Maybe Alien Mefilas or Kemur Man, some alien who doesn't like Ultraman. And this entire loving series is going to exist just to explain why Ultraman fights aliens in the next series. Just like how Rise of Ultraman's entire plot and twist was just to explain why Ultraman fights giant monsters in this series.

This sucks so much.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Most people drop the comics they utterly hate, but godspeed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

The Dwayne McDuffie Ultraman series isn't bad, so I know that western comic Ultraman can work. There's nothing wrong with the basic concept of Marvel Ultraman. I don't want Marvel to give up on this. If they keep doing Ultraman comics long enough eventually the current creative team will get pulled off the book or die, and then it could get good!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McDuffie was a sorta once in a generation talent though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda didn't have hopes for the Ultra Comics (Marvel) when I heard who was gonna be writing it. I don't know if writing comics almost exclusively about MMPR was dude's perogative or if it was a publishing side thing, but the result was extremely tepid either way, and that bodes poorly for another comic based on another tokusatsu franchise

but I doubt they were gonna get like, Grant Morrison to write it, so...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think a Grant Morrison Ultraman would be equal parts kicking rad and piss off the IP owners to the extent it couldn't be published.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I think a Grant Morrison Ultraman would be equal parts kicking rad and piss off the IP owners to the extent it couldn't be published.

Are you kidding? Grant Morrison and Ultraman would be a perfect match. The original Ultraman even had two Dada-inspired villains, Bulton and Dada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Roth posted:

It's an anime so they have to read it to keep up the gimmick