Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I love that the vaccine trials in kids is being pitched to stop the spread due to spring break and irresponsible socializing and not being in school and athletics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pingui posted:

Some speculation about what the problem with the AZ vaccine is:

Also a bunch of additional countries joined the hold. Among them Sweden.

It's also another setback since AZ/University of Oxford vaccine is supposedly cheaper and faster to make than mRNA options.

If the clotting turns out to be a widespread adverse effect it could lead to the EUA getting yanked.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

etalian posted:

It's also another setback since AZ/University of Oxford vaccine is supposedly cheaper and faster to make than mRNA options.

If the clotting turns out to be a widespread adverse effect it could lead to the EUA getting yanked.

Yeah and had the advantage insofar as poorer countries goes, that it was fast enough to market to get used in the West. Later "poor" vaccines likely won't and subsequently won't get the same level of post-rollout safety testing.

It sucks, but the issue seems likely to be real, if not particular common.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Another variant that appears to evade detection has been found in France:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/Covid-France-finds-new-variant-in-northern-Brittany posted:

(..)
It wrote: “Multiple patients with typical symptoms that suggested infection with the Covid-19 virus got negative results from nasal PCR tests.”

As of March 13, eight people have been found to be carrying the new variant out of 79 people in the Lannion cluster.

The new variant was identified because the eight patients clearly had symptoms of the Covid-19 virus, but received negative results when they took PCR tests.

This led scientists to run molecular analyses on their tests, during which they found evidence of a new variant.
(..)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Undetectable covid lmao

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if AZ doesn’t work out, the only other solution may be to accept Russian vaccines until more mRNA vaccines come online. The problem the Russians have is simply an issue of numbers.

That said come June there will probably be a significant surplus in the US.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pryor on Fire posted:

oh word it looks like they found some bad science

in the past, this was bad orange man looks like it’s all cleared up now

Two documents were removed before the election even happened.

quote:

Guidance removed: By the time of my review in late January and February 2021, two documents developed or finalized outside of the agency had already been removed (“The Importance of Reopening of America’s Schools this Fall” posted July 23, 2020 – removed October 29, 2020) or replaced (Overview of Testing for SARS-COV-2 posted August 24, 2020, replaced September 18, 2020). A link to a third document (“Opening up America Again” which was released on April 16, 2020 through a link posted on CDC’s web) was removed February 7, 2021 during the process of my review

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/communication/Guidance-Review.pdf

This page that recommended people not get tested if exposed.

One link, I believe to this Trumpy PDF, was removed in February.

I cannot find a copy of “The Importance of Reopening of America’s Schools this Fall”.

Literally all I can find under that title are references to the review that removed it and this page on some Christian academy’s website that quotes fragments of the lost work (in their August 27, 2020 update):

quote:

Greetings from Canyonville Academy!

What a summer it has been! Canyonville Academy has dedicated hundreds of hours of research, planning, and deliberation toward developing the best and safest reopening plan for its students. Over the summer, Canyonville Academy’s leadership team has consulted professional organizations including the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), Oregon State Childcare Licensing, DHS, the CDC, our county commissioners and countless others.

Here is what we have found: On July 23, 2020, the CDC published a paper that addressed the importance of REOPENING OF AMERICA’S SCHOOLS this fall. Some of its key points entailed:

COVID-19’s impact on children. Read on:

According to the CDC’s report:
“The United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths. So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons.” The CDC also states that “children are unlikely to be major drivers of the spread of the virus.”

Negative effects of extended school closures
The CDC reported that:
“Following the wave of school closures in March 2020 due to COVID-19, academic learning slowed for most children and stopped for some” also adding that “school closure disrupts the delivery of in-person instruction and critical services to children and families, which has negative individual and societal ramifications.”

Importance of in-person school environment
The CDC concluded that:
“Schools provide critical services that help meet the needs of children and families . . . through supporting the development of social and emotional skills, creating a safe environment for learning . . . and facilitating physical activity.” Canyonville Academy stands in agreement with these professional institutions and acknowledges that in-person learning will not only give students the opportunity to thrive academically, but mentally, socially, and spiritually as well. Our holistic educational approach ultimately prepares our students to grow into confident leaders and world changers. When students are on campus, we have the opportunity to disciple them well.

Wow! Much transparency, CDC!

e: O.K., now that I have key phrases, I can find the drat thing in the Internet Archive. It is very bad, as one might have surmised, and this motherfucker was on the CDC website, not a standalone document, with thirty‐eight dogshit citations.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Mar 16, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

gently caress, 22% of respondents are already vaccinated? that seems insane to me

That's basically the national average for first shots. The states that haven't opened up more are just saving millions of shots for old people that are never going to show up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1371593036166090755?s=19

NUMBER GO UP!!!

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

what I'm seeing here is that Plague Inc is true to life and the disease is now picking Attributes that will help it spread better. Undetectable seems pretty OP if it's paired with mild symptoms and then multiple organ failure.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmfao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, if AZ doesn’t work out, the only other solution may be to accept Russian vaccines until more mRNA vaccines come online. The problem the Russians have is simply an issue of numbers.

That said come June there will probably be a significant surplus in the US.

Up till now the Russians don't seem to pump out the numbers needed. I guess you could switch all the AZ factories to Sputnik, but who knows how long that takes.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Jon Irenicus posted:

what I'm seeing here is that Plague Inc is true to life and the disease is now picking Attributes that will help it spread better. Undetectable seems pretty OP if it's paired with mild symptoms and then multiple organ failure.

Isn't Plague Inc structured so that once a vaccine is made and distributed it's over?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I assume it's not undetectable, it just doesn't have the sequence the test looks for.

From what I understand of PCR, you basically figure out an identifying sequence, make a bit of... something, RNA or whatever, that matches it, put it on a stick, swirl it around in the sample and see if anything sticks to it (heavy artistic liberties taken here).

So whatever they are using to identify COVID isn't there anymore in these variants, but they can just figure out what they do need to look for. It's not great of course, they'll need to make new tests and I dunno if they can find something to look for that identifies the old and new or if they need multiple tests now, but it's not completely undetectable in the sense that you can't make something that does detect it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ayyyy lmao :coronatoot:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
We are going to find out the vaccines have planned obsolescence.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Forseti posted:

I assume it's not undetectable, it just doesn't have the sequence the test looks for.

From what I understand of PCR, you basically figure out an identifying sequence, make a bit of... something, RNA or whatever, that matches it, put it on a stick, swirl it around in the sample and see if anything sticks to it (heavy artistic liberties taken here).

So whatever they are using to identify COVID isn't there anymore in these variants, but they can just figure out what they do need to look for. It's not great of course, they'll need to make new tests and I dunno if they can find something to look for that identifies the old and new or if they need multiple tests now, but it's not completely undetectable in the sense that you can't make something that does detect it

This is essentially correct, they did identify it as COVID after all. But it does make it much harder to contain, especially if there are other variants that are also detection evading (there is a Finnish variant as well, but whether it is the same mutation or not isn't clear). Running a single PCR test is feasible, running 20 different ones each time is not.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

Isn't Plague Inc structured so that once a vaccine is made and distributed it's over?

you get a couple of days after it's discovered iirc, lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Why do I have a sudden urge to buy an xbox?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SC residents (and neighbors) Publix is flush with vaccines this morning.

https://www.publix.com/covid-vaccine/south-carolina

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1371813287835410444

???

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

Given the mutation rate of the spike protein, the planned obsolescence is baked in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I loving love science.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Forseti posted:

It's a quantitative PCR, which means it measures amplification of a certain sequence after a certain number of rounds of amplification. Any mutations that lower the binding efficiency of the primers are going to lower the amount of amplification and make a false negative more likely.

It sounds like it's time for updated primer sequences. Most of them are based on the sequences published by the Chinese in December 2019.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

is the astrazeneca vaccine noticeably causing these clots or is this cause they did a brexit and we want to sell people different vaccines?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

SC residents (and neighbors) Publix is flush with vaccines this morning.

https://www.publix.com/covid-vaccine/south-carolina

Hah we're treating vaccines like video cards, iphones, and playstations. Just watch the internet for availability (no not a centralized site, you have to follow social media rumors) get there quick and stand in line overnight! gently caress this country.

salient
Jan 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1371638485686358018

the great barrington declaration is now taking a bold stance against disease eradication :unsmigghh:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Last official message on their site:

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/emas-safety-committee-continues-investigation-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-thromboembolic-events posted:

EMA’s safety committee continues investigation of COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca and thromboembolic events – further update Share
News 15/03/2021
Several authorities responsible for national vaccine campaigns in EU countries have temporarily paused vaccination with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca. This is a precaution taken in the light of their national situation while EMA investigates a number of events of blood clots in people who had received the vaccine, as previously reported.

Events involving blood clots, some with unusual features such as low numbers of platelets, have occurred in a very small number of people who received the vaccine. Many thousands of people develop blood clots annually in the EU for different reasons. The number of thromboembolic events overall in vaccinated people seems not to be higher than that seen in the general population.

EMA is working closely with the company, with experts in blood disorders, and with other health authorities including the UK’s MHRA based on its experience with around 11 million administered doses of the vaccine.

EMA’s investigation has been continuing over the weekend, and rigorous analysis of all the data related to thromboembolic events will be carried out in the coming days. Experts are looking in great detail at all the available data and clinical circumstances surrounding specific cases to determine whether the vaccine might have contributed or if the event is likely to have been due to other causes. EMA’s safety committee (PRAC) will further review the information tomorrow (Tuesday) and has called an extraordinary meeting on Thursday 18 March to conclude on the information gathered and any further actions that may need to be taken.

The COVID-19 pandemic is a global crisis, with devastating health, social and economic impact, and continues to be a major burden on EU health systems. Vaccines for COVID-19 help to protect individuals from becoming ill, especially healthcare professionals and vulnerable populations, such as older people or those with chronic diseases. While its investigation is ongoing, EMA currently remains of the view that the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine in preventing COVID-19, with its associated risk of hospitalisation and death, outweigh the risks of side effects.

EMA will continue to communicate further as appropriate. In the meantime, anyone who has received the vaccine and has any concerns should contact an appropriate healthcare professional. It is important that people who suspect they may have a side effect after vaccination report this to the national medicines regulator, or to a healthcare professional who can help them do so.

More about the medicine
COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is a vaccine for preventing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in people aged 18 years and older. COVID-19 is caused by SARS-CoV-2 virus. COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is made up of another virus (of the adenovirus family) that has been modified to contain the gene for making a protein from SARS-CoV-2. COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca does not contain the virus itself and cannot cause COVID-19.

The most common side effects with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca are usually mild or moderate and improve within a few days after vaccination.

More about the procedure
The review of thromboembolic events with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca is being carried out in the context of a safety signal, under an accelerated timetable. A safety signal is information on a new or incompletely documented adverse event that is potentially caused by a medicine such as a vaccine and that warrants further investigation.

The review is being carried out by EMA's Pharmacovigilance Risk Assessment Committee (PRAC), the Committee responsible for the evaluation of safety issues for human medicines. Once the review is completed, PRAC will make any recommendations necessary to minimise risks and protect patients' health.

It seems to me that they are on the path to stating it isn't the vaccine doing it, but they shouldn't be giving a final conclusion until Thursday.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gorson posted:

Hah we're treating vaccines like video cards, iphones, and playstations. Just watch the internet for availability (no not a centralized site, you have to follow social media rumors) get there quick and stand in line overnight! gently caress this country.

We've been making lots of "trade a PS5 for a vaccine" jokes lately.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

McCracAttack posted:

We've been making lots of "trade a PS5 for a vaccine" jokes lately.

Are they really jokes tho at this point

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Get equipped with: Slut Juice

AZ, obviously. Tegnell says we should be cautious of it? I'm taking it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The other day on the news they were proclaiming that Ohio should hit the 50/10,000 to lift all COVID restrictions in 7 or 8 weeks.

7 weeks from now is Cinco de Mayo :roflolmao:

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I went on a cannabis tolerance break and my dreams have returned full rush but they're all based on the old world which ruins my immersion and fuels my anxiety. I notice no one is wearing masks which just takes me out of them and I realize I'm dreaming in the dream. But it's not fun because my survival instinct kicks in. Anyways. gently caress everything on this hellworld

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

Last official message on their site:

It seems to me that they are on the path to stating it isn't the vaccine doing it, but they shouldn't be giving a final conclusion until Thursday.

quote:

the benefits of the AstraZeneca vaccine in preventing COVID-19, with its associated risk of hospitalisation and death, outweigh the risks of side effects.

I don't know how to say this in a way that doesn't sound pissy and dismissive, but given how loving bad COVID-19 is, it seems like there's an entire spectrum of poo poo that a vaccine could result in and still be considered "outweighing the risks of side effects"

and they're not even wrong to say this, it just sucks that we're resolved to trying to do this with a vaccine because nobody else wants to do what China and Aus and NZ did

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Brazil is still hosed and rapidly getting fuckeder by the day, maybe appointing someone with actual medical experience to head up the health ministry might help???

haha, so glad the terrifying brazilian variants arent spreading wildly here

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

The other day on the news they were proclaiming that Ohio should hit the 50/10,000 to lift all COVID restrictions in 7 or 8 weeks.

7 weeks from now is Cinco de Mayo :roflolmao:

Wonder how many people are going to die for that silly "holiday" Hallmark made up to sell more product

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

hospital accreditation is a miserable process and i wont be officially started until may 1st, but im just in the office shadowing and reading and helping the manager fill out my million loving forms

i still get my first shot on thursday tho and you can bet your rear end i'm going to be "sick" on friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

salient posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1371638485686358018

the great barrington declaration is now taking a bold stance against disease eradication :unsmigghh:
It's cool how this guy still has a job and even if he gets fired will make more money than before.