Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I really liked the Krypton stuff in Man of Steel and honestly a lot of it is good decisions. The comics story where the planet is obviously, clearly dying and the population stands around going "lmao nothing out of the normal here" until they passively blow up? Come the gently caress on, of course Krypton's last moments are bloody civil war and rioting. The world is literally ending!

There's a real feeling that Snyder would rather be telling that story, with Russell Crowe riding dragons in a sci-fi disaster movie than have to tell a story about a superhero he doesn't understand. I'd rather see Snyder direct that movie that watch Man Of Steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He understands Superman quite clearly. The idea that he "didn't want" to make a Superman movie is completely loving ridiculous. He's a huge Superman fan.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaz-L posted:

There's a real feeling that Snyder would rather be telling that story, with Russell Crowe riding dragons in a sci-fi disaster movie than have to tell a story about a superhero he doesn't understand. I'd rather see Snyder direct that movie that watch Man Of Steel.

I mostly liked Man of Steel, and I would gladly trade it for a Zack Snyder science fantasy sword and planet thing like his Krypton looked.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He understands Superman quite clearly. The idea that he "didn't want" to make a Superman movie is completely loving ridiculous. He's a huge Superman fan.

They said rather make not didn't want to.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

McCloud posted:

I think it speaks volumes about the comic book fans that all it took for them to like Superman was empty fanservice of him smiling and making dumb and corny statements about hope and car keys

Don't do this.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Peyote Panda posted:

I don't know if this was deliberate on the writers' part or not but I also liked how the beginning tangentially shat all over the Kryptonian concept of people being born to specific classes. Zod and his troops were selected to be soldiers but Jor El clowns on them all in their fight scenes.

It's probably just "protagonist hero is automatically a badass" but I still liked the idea and the first time I saw the movie I hoped it was going to come into play later, with Superman confronting Zod with the fact he was trying to revive a "perfect" society so far up its own rear end that it destroyed itself through intransigent short-sightedness and the only reason any remnants still existed at all were the results of the acts by renegades like Jor El and criminals like Zod himself. Though arguably there was a allusion to this in Superman screaming "Krypton had its chance!" before lasering the Kryptonian scout ship.

I do think it’s deliberate. We get Jor-el punking Zod and his soldiers as one example, and Zod later calls it out when he talks about how he was bred for warfare/conquest and Kal was just raised on a farm. You could also argue that the council was likely bred to be “leaders” but they still let the planet blow up.

It’s part of the reason why the smallville fights is one my favorite fights in a superhero movie because Superman is currently stronger then everyone there but they have military training that gives them a slight edge over him and it’s an elegant way to have Superman struggle halfway through the story since he’s never really had to deal with a situation that required him to really go all out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He thinks he does but he's wrong.

Like Quentin Tarantino.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

Lol at the idea of criticising Man of Steel for making Superman special.

I believe the idea is that he doesn't need to be injected with the codex of the entire Kryptonian race or whatever to make him special from birth/as a baby, he can just be Superman. Like, lifting a truck one handed and shooting lasers from your eyes is already pretty special, you don't have to make "Last Son of Krypton" even more literal somehow.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

He thinks he does but he's wrong.

Like Quentin Tarantino.

He was my boss for a week and I've talked to him; he reads comics well and can challenge my knowledge and I've read a ton.

I've met Quentin too, and he doesn't read comics; he absorbs a ton of film information and filters through that.

As another relation, we (Snyder) both went to art school and are thus taught to filter our expression through meaning as opposed to text and focusing on attempting at telling an original story as opposed to regurgitation, so I kind of see what he's doing even in cases I don't like. His closest classmate is the director of Immortals; look at that and his stuff and you can easily see what he's going for.

Darko fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 16, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snyder understands Superman completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW8KyNCWGCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

The bottom video really hammering in the fact how tough and crazy it was for Superman to grow up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Ah yes, the core tenets of Superman, "let 'em die" and "you don't owe the world anything".

Also the core tenets of Batman, "killing is an okay thing to do" and "why not have a few guns?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman needs to kill more.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I feel like the Pa Kent scene gets a really bad faith read every time someone brings up "just let em die". People focus on the "maybe" part and end the scene there but it's a full sentence: "Maybe...There's more at stake here then our lives and the lives of those around us". He's not actually saying "Yeah maybe you should've let those kids die" but the pause in the sentence seems to be what gets people into thinking he's pro child death. He goes on to explain that Clarks mere existence is a gigantic shift to the status-quo and as a parent he doesn't really know how to handle that.

For "You don't owe the world anything": That's true! Clark doesn't! He has no ties to his earth except his Mom and Dad, and maybe Lois at that point but the fact that Clark goes out of his way to save the world despite a really frosty welcoming party from the US government is what makes him Superman.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not saying it's a core tenet or anything but every cinematic incarnation of batman (sans West and Clooney) have used vehicles to kill dudes, it's absolutely a tradition at this point

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

Ah yes, the core tenets of Superman, "let 'em die" and "you don't owe the world anything".

Also the core tenets of Batman, "killing is an okay thing to do" and "why not have a few guns?"

The core tenet of Batman is using trauma to fix a broken world.

That other stuff was imposed on the character because he's in funnybooks that people in the 40s and 50s thought were rotting kids brains.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I struggle to recall a version of Superman who saved the world out of a sense of indebtedness or obligation.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jonathan Kent's a frustrating character who talks out of both ends of his rear end constantly and is the sole primary catalyst holding Clark back from being a fulfilled and successful Superman, and yet Snyder expects us feel see him as some profound font of wisdom. He makes Clark feel guilty about saving his classmates, fills his heart with fears and self-doubts that linger well into his adulthood, sermonizes about some great weighty destiny that Clark has to fulfill and then calls him selfish for wanting to leave their home. Literally every single thing he does is designed to hinder Clark's development as a proactive hero, and yet we're supposed to think by the end of the film that Clark being Superman was exactly his keikaku all along.

It's some of the most inherently backwards writing that modern films have ever produced.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's so great that people are just going to keep talking about a bad Superman movie from 8 years ago like it's a misunderstood work of art until I'm dead of old age.

I mean they'll probably continue to disingenuously imply anyone who disliked the film simply didn't understand it well after I die, but by that point it won't be my problem.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BrianWilly posted:

Jonathan Kent's a frustrating character who talks out of both ends of his rear end constantly and is the sole primary catalyst holding Clark back from being a fulfilled and successful Superman, and yet Snyder expects us feel see him as some profound font of wisdom. He makes Clark feel guilty about saving his classmates, fills his heart with fears and self-doubts that linger well into his adulthood, sermonizes about some great weighty destiny that Clark has to fulfill and then calls him selfish for wanting to leave their home. Literally every single thing he does is designed to hinder Clark's development as a proactive hero, and yet we're supposed to think by the end of the film that Clark being Superman was exactly his keikaku all along.

It's some of the most inherently backwards writing that modern films have ever produced.
He's a boomer raising his millennial son.

Imagine if, instead of running into a tornado, he went to the Sturgis motorcycle rally screaming about the PLANdemic and MASK TYRANNY and got covid and died.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

He raised an immortal godchild into a kind and self-sacrificing adult so he can't be that bad a Dad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Kevin Costner's Ghost: "I can say that word, son. I can say it because I grew up in a time when it was not that bad. In fact I said it all the time."

No Moustache Henry Cavill: "Dad no, you can't say the n-word"

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

The United States posted:

Kevin Costner's Ghost: "I can say that word, son. I can say it because I grew up in a time when it was not that bad. In fact I said it all the time."

No Moustache Henry Cavill: "Dad no, you can't say the n-word"

No Moustache Henry Cavill: "Or the k-word dad, that's my word. no, not that k-word. Though you probably shouldn't say that either."

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The United States posted:

Not saying it's a core tenet or anything but every cinematic incarnation of batman (sans West and Clooney) have used vehicles to kill dudes, it's absolutely a tradition at this point

West kills the dehydrated dudes and rules lawyers his way out of it (which is the joke).

Edit: oh wait, you said vehicles. Well the vehicle of his delivery is his fists.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't think Kilmer did. At one point he strafes to the side to avoid a missile shot by Two-Face, which then proceeds to blow up a car containing some goons behind him. But I don't think that counts as Batman killing, morally or legally.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

Snyder understands Superman completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW8KyNCWGCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2RpU3FL1w8

The bottom video really hammering in the fact how tough and crazy it was for Superman to grow up.

That second scene makes me cry every time, as a parent with a kid who has adhd and anxiety attacks. It makes me feel like me and my kid are seen in a way few films do.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it's good to have a Superman that is more interested in the -man part rather than the Super- part

for that matter I think it's good to have a Batman that is "the Dark Knight" in a way that is more than just wearing black and being scary

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm going to scream superhero movies are for children then scream superhero movies need more killing and sex.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

It's so great that people are just going to keep talking about a bad Superman movie from 8 years ago like it's a misunderstood work of art until I'm dead of old age.

Maybe some people just like films that you don't, and also like talking about films that they like?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, no. Falcon and Winter Soldier is out Friday.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

No, no. Falcon and Winter Soldier is out Friday.

I am hoping it's good and shakes things up. Their buddy cop dynamic was pretty good.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

If only scenes with Amy Adams as a crack reporter and Laurence Fishburne as her editor had been written by good writers :(

“Kent, you’re on sports today.” - The editor-in-chief of a major metropolitan newspaper who totally understands how newsrooms work

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Is that interpretation what Snyder expects of us?

Why try to guess what the director expects, instead of thinking about the message you received?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked the part when Superman tracked Flash's movements with his eyes and then it cuts to Flash realizing that and getting scared. It reminded me of the only good part of BvS where the kryptonite starts wearing off of Superman and he gradually stops selling Batman's punches. It's a shame about every other time he is on screen in these films.

I was so happy we got Thunderbolt Ross back that I kinda forgot to lament how much Hulk lore we're just not allowed to have in the MCU. Doc Samson would be awesome to have around. I guess at least we're getting Jen soon. Seriously Ross rules though. He's a great heel.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Google says Marvel reaccquired the Hulk and Namor rights, but apparently it's just a rumor. You'd think people would know?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's the eternal problem with The Hulk. Big Green Strong Guy Smash Things And Is Dumb is mostly appealing to little kids, but everything in the comics that makes the Hulk interesting as a character is way too dour and psychological to appeal to anyone who isn't at least in their teens. So either you get horrific marketing/content mismatches like Ang Lee's Hulk, or everything about the character other than the comic relief and the punching gets sanded off.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If anyone is interested in making a separate thread for Snyder's Justice League then they have my blessing. I expect traffic will be heavy enough to fill up a brand new thread while keeping this one alive to talk about other comic book films.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

It's the eternal problem with The Hulk. Big Green Strong Guy Smash Things And Is Dumb is mostly appealing to little kids, but everything in the comics that makes the Hulk interesting as a character is way too dour and psychological to appeal to anyone who isn't at least in their teens. So either you get horrific marketing/content mismatches like Ang Lee's Hulk, or everything about the character other than the comic relief and the punching gets sanded off.

yeah as much as immortal hulk kicks rear end, i can't imagine disney ever trying to fit that into the mcu

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Splint Chesthair posted:

“Kent, you’re on sports today.” - The editor-in-chief of a major metropolitan newspaper who totally understands how newsrooms work

“Parker, get me pictures of Spider-Man!”

“You mean like, from Getty? Those are pretty expensive boss...”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Perry is shuffling Clark around departments because he's a poo poo reporter but he can't fire him cause he knows he's Superman