Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gorson posted:

Wonder how many people are going to die for that silly "holiday" Hallmark made up to sell more product

I'm pretty sure Cinco de Mayo was made up by Jose Cuervo to sell more of their garbage 51% agave "tequila."

I also never realized that St. Patrick's and CdM were 7 weeks apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

biden could use emergency powers to seize the vaccine manufacturing and IP the means of production

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Eh, maybe I'll get an AZ shot in a few months instead of like seven.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

genericnick posted:

Eh, maybe I'll get an AZ shot in a few months instead of like seven.

I got an AZ shot today rather than any other shot in June at the earliest.

It may have a low risk of causing blood clots? What does COVID do for blood clots? Wasn't there speculation that the spike protein caused a non-zero risk of blood clots? The one you get way more of with COVID than the vaccine?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
covid does indeed induce marinara blood

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh good i found the KFF site has a nice compilation on this

that is a much higher first # than i realized, that's great since i think we only need 105m to be 'done' and that's 2/3s of the way there

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

salient posted:

https://twitter.com/MartinKulldorff/status/1371638485686358018

the great barrington declaration is now taking a bold stance against disease eradication :unsmigghh:

Some in my family keep repeating this bullshit and I don’t know where it started.

With the next wave already started I’m really glad I’ll be vaccinated this Friday. Imagine waiting another month or two.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Covid has made my dreams unrealistic from the perspective of dreams

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Glumwheels posted:

Some in my family keep repeating this bullshit and I don’t know where it started.

With the next wave already started I’m really glad I’ll be vaccinated this Friday. Imagine waiting another month or two.

disease and illness is actually good

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure Cinco de Mayo was made up by Jose Cuervo to sell more of their garbage 51% agave "tequila."

I also never realized that St. Patrick's and CdM were 7 weeks apart

Wouldn't doubt this one bit. We've perverted every holiday into a consumer event.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

it's part of the open 'er up pseudoacademic industrial complex

greatest hits include:

- you don't need vaccinations to open 'er up

- you don't need social distancing to open 'er up

- you don't need to separate sick people from healthy people to open 'er up

- 3 == 6

you know, really heady public health poo poo

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

endlessmonotony posted:

I got an AZ shot today rather than any other shot in June at the earliest.

It may have a low risk of causing blood clots? What does COVID do for blood clots? Wasn't there speculation that the spike protein caused a non-zero risk of blood clots? The one you get way more of with COVID than the vaccine?

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor and this is pure speculation.

The one thing that strikes me with the possibly AZ related blood clots in Norway and Denmark, is that it is all healthcare workers. It makes me wonder if perhaps we are seeing a consequence of taking the AZ vaccine after having already had COVID and the blood clotting issues of COVID combine unfavorably with a reduction of platelets in AZ recipients.

As I recall people whom have had COVID were screened out in the phase 3 trials, so it wouldn't have come up as an issue.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it continues to blow my mind that we overstate the importance of masks to the point that we give up on behavior modification and distancing, but haven't standardized on any sort of masks for the public

two-layers of t-shirt? good enough for a roomful of children with a cracked window spending 8 hours together, sure.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Iron Crowned posted:

?????

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

lol the one thing that might make the government revoke their corporate charter and seize their ip

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

imperialists generally think that holidays celebrating independence are fake

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gorson posted:

Wouldn't doubt this one bit. We've perverted every holiday into a consumer event.

lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol the one thing that might make the government revoke their corporate charter and seize their ip

pfizer already said, actually we gave you 6 doses, so we're going to ship you 20% less bottles and still charge you the same

there will be zero consequences for price gouging this. they will negotiate with the administration, rather, to determine the optimal amount of squeeze/rock/blood. McKinsey will have a power point

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Shouldn't competition from Moderna prevent this?

(lol I know the answer is collusion)

Edit: B'oh, meant to quote the post you were quoting

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

The democrats would never do this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's my understanding that CdM isn't even a Mexican holiday and they celebrate it on a different day. Cinco de Mayo is literally an American holiday that's an excuse to drink tequila.

Now on the other hand my comment on Jose Cuervo is the fact that Jose belongs in the trash. Never drink anything that doesn't have "100% agave" on the bottle. I recommend Hornitos or Espelon for a budget tequila.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I know it's a real holiday. He's saying America popularized it to sell more product.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Don't know if I'm missing a joke somewhere, but Cinco de Mayo has nothing to do with Mexican independence. It's the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla when Mexico expelled France. It's not a holiday nor a major celebration in Mexico.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Ah, so Cinco de Mayo is like holiday form of the burrito.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Relevant Tangent posted:

lol okay

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Admiral Ray posted:

Ah, so Cinco de Mayo is like holiday form of the burrito.

delicious and filled with french fries, yes

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
TWiV episode about the background on the Novavax vaccine and its origins as a MERS candidate: https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-729/

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
has AZ hit more blood clots than 10 years of birth control numbers yet?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/GovMikeDeWine/status/1371829793033949189

THE JUICE IS LOOSE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Insanite posted:

it continues to blow my mind that we overstate the importance of masks to the point that we give up on behavior modification and distancing, but haven't standardized on any sort of masks for the public

two-layers of t-shirt? good enough for a roomful of children with a cracked window spending 8 hours together, sure.

all the people who are saying 'masks make it so you don't need to worry about distancing' are the exact same people who, exactly a year ago, trumpeted 'masks are actually bad, because if you wear them you won't worry about distancing' . guess they were right!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Indiana has moved to 45+ for slut juice

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

thanks to the 25 bmi limit here i qualify now by 3 pounds, thanks hell year for giving me that extra 5 lbs to get me over the finish line

getting moderna tomorrow

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

like has been mentioned, eat a giant pizza and guzzle diet soda, you'll tip the bmi scales unless you're monstrously fit

not like anyone's gonna ask

they won't

get it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol:

It got lowered to 50 because the black community bullied him, I wonder who bullied him this time

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

i'd also like to thank all the chuds in the country for refusing to take the vaccine so i can get it, even if i gotta drive an hour each way

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

phase 4d3d3d3 engaged

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Huh so everyone vaccinated by May huh, or eligible to? I work in an essential job in a not large city in NW WA, my company is working with the county health department to get vaccinated, and I still don't even have an appointment or any eta.

OPENRUP

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

smoobles posted:

Saw someone asking about mormon antivaxers. My entire mormon extended family (six cousins, their spouses, and 23 kids among them) have decided not to get the vaccine because the patriarch of the family, my dumbass uncle who caught covid in April and nearly died, has done some online research and decided the vaccine is ungodly.

Because mormons are trained to listen to the eldest man in the family, they have all decided to skip the shot.

Also most of them are obese.

I unfriended all of them after the Capitol riots, so I'll never know if some of them die until my mom calls and tells me, and then I'll just say "oh no" and pretend to be shocked.

Xaris posted:

lmao. extremely mormon
actually surprised about the obese part
all the mormon clans I've known and come across through my years were super into fitness 4 god and whatnot

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

then receive this booster shot from our job creators, may it keep you productive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Justin Credible posted:

Huh so everyone vaccinated by May huh, or eligible to? I work in an essential job in a not large city in NW WA, my company is working with the county health department to get vaccinated, and I still don't even have an appointment or any eta.

OPENRUP

At this rate the whole country will be vaccinated just as WA is opening up phase 1z 2h