Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like the 'ideal' version of the cyclops would be to combine it with the modularity of the seatruck.

Like for example, you'd have the cockpit and engine blocks as the bare minimum, which has you being like a slightly larger seamoth, maybe like a seatruck with an attached module. However, you could equip various modules, like a belowdecks module that makes it taller and gives you a lower area to work with like in the original cyclops, or some storage/living space/etc modules with various options to do stuff like mount a water purifier to the hull for example, have it use the same hardpoint system as like base walls do where you could use the same recipe to fortify the sides of a quarters section for more HP or put glass for more visibility etc. Another add on could be a docking module, so you could put one on for the seamoth, one for the prawn, etc.

And of course, for each attached module you'd be larger and slower, but ideally the world and surroundings would be large enough to justify at least one maybe two modules on at a time to get by before you start to have problems fitting and banging around and all that. Another fun thing would be different engine module types with different functions so for example you could have an engine that could fit in nuclear rods but would have more of a heat issue than powercells or an ion cube engine that could have a shitton of potential energy but you could only have one in at a time and have prohibitively high construction requirements so you'd be using a lot of rare (maybe even map limited) resources to make something that if you're not careful could get blown up and maybe even take more cubes with it if you have some extras in the ship as backup energy.

Or of course you could set up an 8 module long monstrosity that dwarfs any leviathan and eats energy and slowboats around but is your own personal fully realized mobile home and research base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Cyclops was fun but not practical. Seatruck is the best and if you disagree you are dumb and bad

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Good luck fitting that in the tunnels, though.

I've lost more Cyclopi to unfortunate lodging than to the actual sea dragons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Good luck fitting that in the tunnels, though.

I've lost more Cyclopi to unfortunate lodging than to the actual sea dragons.

Yeah that's kinda the sticking point - the map needs to be large enough to justify a mobile home and base, which below zero def isn't, and to have caves large enough to comfortably fit in at least something equivalent in size to the cyclops which neither game really has.

Maybe if they went whole hog in a theoretical true subnautica 2 and had a 5km by 5km by 3km play area with robust deep seas and deep caves (ideally with tighter alcoves only for prawn/seamoth) it'd be real neat to see what kind crazy stuff you cold get up to but I don't see that in the future.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I think the main problem Subnautica has with vehicles is that their areas of use overlap too much. There's not much actual need for the Cyclops because the Prawn can go just as deep and is much easier to maneuver through the endgame areas. The Prawn in turn is outclassed by the Seamoth in speed, maneuverability and ease of use as long as you stay above 900m (which is the absolute majority of the game, including most of the Lost River area).

In a theoretical sequel I think I'd prefer it if they designed the map to play to the strengths of each vehicle. Make the deep sea zones more flat expanses and limit the Seamoth to 400-500m and you create an excellent incentive for players to use the Cyclops for deep exploration. The Prawn seems like it was designed primarily for undersea caving and mining, so ideally you'd have deep caves where it could shine but without putting the entire endgame in there like they did in the first game.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I used both the Cyclops and the Prawn Suit though. I could grow food on the Cyclops which made it a nice mobile base, and with the thermal charge upgrade you could park it and use it to charge the Prawn Suit between joints. Plus you could put a fabricator on the Cyclops as well meaning you didn't have to go all the way back to make stuff if you forgot something.

I've never understood why people treat them as exclusive when they're complimentary.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

I used both the Cyclops and the Prawn Suit though. I could grow food on the Cyclops which made it a nice mobile base, and with the thermal charge upgrade you could park it and use it to charge the Prawn Suit between joints. Plus you could put a fabricator on the Cyclops as well meaning you didn't have to go all the way back to make stuff if you forgot something.

I've never understood why people treat them as exclusive when they're complimentary.
Yeah the Cyclops has legitimate room to do anything with it. All those resources you can mine with the prawn suit in lava land mean gently caress all if the only storage space you are working with is the prawn backpack.

Also one of the biggest prank moments for prawn only life aside from Ooops, you need a SECOND blue tablet! I'll just craft one with my... gently caress is if your depth upgrades are not up to par by the time you reach the tree cave. Because if I'm remembering right the highest point of the floor in that room is something like five feet or some other tiny amount below default prawn crush depth. "Aw gently caress, turn around TURN AROUND my ankles are breaking!" so that was an awkward surprise one of my first times through.

Speaking of tag team combo of ride and suit, I thought I heard that the sea truck's docking module not only just awkwardly hangs it off the back on the outside, but blocks your rear view camera too while it is attached?

How is the actual docking/undocking of your prawn from the seatruck compared to the Cyclops? I've been waiting until full launch to get into Below Zero.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 16, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zenithe posted:

Cyclops was fun but not practical. Seatruck is the best and if you disagree you are dumb and bad

The seatruck is a clunky piece of poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Moon Slayer posted:

Didn't it take forever to walk there? I didn't really like driving the cyclops either but I thought that using it to carry a Prawn suit down to that crater above the lava zone was what you were "supposed" to do.

I'd set up a base by the big tree in the lost river and then use the grappling hook on the Prawn to traverse the lava zone pretty quickly. I'd still take my time of course, but I didn't find it that punishing especially once you got the improved jump jets.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Section Z posted:

Yeah the Cyclops has legitimate room to do anything with it. All those resources you can mine with the prawn suit in lava land mean gently caress all if the only storage space you are working with is the prawn backpack.

Also one of the biggest prank moments for prawn only life aside from Ooops, you need a SECOND blue tablet! I'll just craft one with my... gently caress is if your depth upgrades are not up to par by the time you reach the tree cave. Because if I'm remembering right the highest point of the floor in that room is something like five feet or some other tiny amount below default prawn crush depth. "Aw gently caress, turn around TURN AROUND my ankles are breaking!" so that was an awkward surprise one of my first times through.

Speaking of tag team combo of ride and suit, I thought I heard that the sea truck's docking module not only just awkwardly hangs it off the back on the outside, but blocks your rear view camera too while it is attached?

How is the actual docking/undocking of your prawn from the seatruck compared to the Cyclops? I've been waiting until full launch to get into Below Zero.

Good news! They solved the problem of the Prawn blocking the rear view camera by removing the rear view camera altogether! Then again it never really worked right, never showed the proper water visibility and probably figured it was too much trouble to get it working before launch.
As for the docking module, yeah the Prawn does just hang off the back, but you can undock it from inside the Seatruck at least or by just getting in the Prawn from outside

Speaking of the Seatruck, one thing I really wish they added was some sort of artificial horizon or auto-leveling

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I took the cyclops through the ILZ exactly once. De-leeching it was a massive pain so I just built a storage base at the beginning of the ILZ right after the Cove Tree.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The fact that there's a thermal power upgrade for the Prawn made it apparent to me that the Cyclops wasn't really needed below a certain point. The furthest I've ever brought it was to the entrance of the cave that holds the thermal plant, but usually I leave it in the lost river. Personally I felt it was perfectly balanced for an optional utility vehicle. If it was actually required that'd be a different story, but it's clunky to use on purpose and I love it.

I want to like the seatruck, but its modular system is so fiddly, and you have to reattach everything every time you undock it. It would benefit a lot from a moonpool add-on for crafting and storing modules that let you choose what to take with you with an easier interface.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I like the cyclops because it’s the only vehicle I felt safe in, I think the teleporter dudes won’t mess with you in there? And everything else you can just shock the poo poo out of or shield up or whatever it was and trundle on.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Dyz posted:

I took the cyclops through the ILZ exactly once. De-leeching it was a massive pain so I just built a storage base at the beginning of the ILZ right after the Cove Tree.

You can pulse the shield to de-leech the entire ship.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked the pressure of hopping out the cyclops to go knife off the little cling-ons trying to eat my stuff.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I like the cyclops because it’s the only vehicle I felt safe in, I think the teleporter dudes won’t mess with you in there?

No, they'll patiently wait until you have to leave the sub to repair it and then they'll sneak up behind you. :unsmigghh:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

You can pulse the shield to de-leech the entire ship.

I think this might have been before the shield upgrade, so pre release.

E: in fact I remember it was because the temple wasnt in the ALZ.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Trump Card posted:

Good news! They solved the problem of the Prawn blocking the rear view camera by removing the rear view camera altogether! Then again it never really worked right, never showed the proper water visibility and probably figured it was too much trouble to get it working before launch.
As for the docking module, yeah the Prawn does just hang off the back, but you can undock it from inside the Seatruck at least or by just getting in the Prawn from outside

Speaking of the Seatruck, one thing I really wish they added was some sort of artificial horizon or auto-leveling

zzMisc posted:

The fact that there's a thermal power upgrade for the Prawn made it apparent to me that the Cyclops wasn't really needed below a certain point. The furthest I've ever brought it was to the entrance of the cave that holds the thermal plant, but usually I leave it in the lost river. Personally I felt it was perfectly balanced for an optional utility vehicle. If it was actually required that'd be a different story, but it's clunky to use on purpose and I love it.

I want to like the seatruck, but its modular system is so fiddly, and you have to reattach everything every time you undock it. It would benefit a lot from a moonpool add-on for crafting and storing modules that let you choose what to take with you with an easier interface.

Tenzarin posted:

The seatruck is a clunky piece of poo poo.

:sigh: I am going to really, really miss the cyclops being a one and done build for the structure. Has there been any crossover between "Cyclops is an awkward piece of poo poo!" posting and claims that a full train of sea truck is totally a breeze and on par with the seamoth?

But hey, hopefully you get sustainable ion crystals before the literal end of the game this time so that new sea truck teleport module isn't a sunk cost gimmick.

The fact there still isn't a prawn mounted fabricator is going to make "Turn around and walk back to the nearest base or hunk of sea truck that can have a fabricator to progress" still a thing. Prawn only life needed a lot moreforeknowledge in the base game to go smoothly compared to using all the rides.

EDIT: Wait, I just realized. Can you even use the loving teleporter module to bring the prawn suit along or is it only for you personally?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 16, 2021

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I'm on team Cyclops, but I'm also prone to building massive mega-bases with a lot of details for fun and not just plowing through the game. For me, a Cyclops carrying the Prawn is perfect for my long, long resource gathering trips and I've filled a hold packed with storage lockers multiple times - we're talking thousands of units of minerals here. These trips are long enough that having the self-sufficient travelling mini-base is great, and I love that the game facilitates that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can pack a ton of poo poo on your sub, I had more storage lockers than all my bases combined on my cyclops, plus a bunch of plants, aquariums, bed, posters, secret toys, etc. The piloting area I decorated with those glowing light fruit trees, which looked really cool from a distance, especially the ones that clipped out of the sub itself.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

You can pack a ton of poo poo on your sub, I had more storage lockers than all my bases combined on my cyclops, plus a bunch of plants, aquariums, bed, posters, secret toys, etc. The piloting area I decorated with those glowing light fruit trees, which looked really cool from a distance, especially the ones that clipped out of the sub itself.

I also remember the initial time period where decoys were so huge you could not fit a full decoy dispenser's worth into a single standing locker so being around for the Early Access ride and building essentially a tunnel of standing lockers to the decoy loader so I could spin back and forth to nab more decoys.

Such things sure as hell must have skewed my perceptions further into team "Cyclops carries the Prawn". While it is usually "Well, what if you grow melons or something on it?" that gets the attention, hoo boy that was the least of my concern.

Heat Knife loving rules hell yeah live cooking

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 16, 2021

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I never took the cyclops deeper then the lost river. Yea you could take it down to the lava zone, but why? The prawn is much better there.

I confused the tiers of the prawn depth module, so I thought I needed the cyclops to access the lava zone to harvest materials to get the prawn suit into the lava zone. Ended up swimming all the way through the lava castle with no heat protection. :orks101:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Section Z posted:

I also remember the initial time period where decoys were so huge you could not fit a full decoy dispenser's worth into a single standing locker so being around for the Early Access ride and building essentially a tunnel of standing lockers to the decoy loader so I could spin back and forth to nab more decoys.

Such things sure as hell must have skewed my perceptions further into team "Cyclops carries the Prawn". While it is usually "Well, what if you grow melons or something on it?" that gets the attention, hoo boy that was the least of my concern.

what the gently caress is decoys in this game??

edit: Just never used any of the decoy stuff it seems, guess that puts it right up there with the stasis gun

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 16, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Khanstant posted:

what the gently caress is decoys in this game??

They rob you the joy of grappling a leviathan, holding on for dear life, and punching a leviathan to death in your prawn suit.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LeschNyhan posted:

thousands of units of minerals here

:stare:

I'm not quite sure I've clocked in 1000+ minerals in 3 vanilla and one BZ playthroughs?? Y'all cyclops fans are somethin else.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JawnV6 posted:

:stare:

I'm not quite sure I've clocked in 1000+ minerals in 3 vanilla and one BZ playthroughs?? Y'all cyclops fans are somethin else.
Look, look. Covering towers of multi purpose rooms 90% in windows,10% reinforcement panels is a hell of a project.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

:getin:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you don't have both sides of that hallway double stacked, I don't even want to know you

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I could see doing a prawn-only run as a challenge to myself or something but I don’t understand the preference for it. It ain’t that hard to navigate the cyclops down into the caverns. But to each their own I guess.

The seatruck really is a poor attempt to replace both it and the seamoth.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bussamove posted:

I could see doing a prawn-only run as a challenge to myself or something but I don’t understand the preference for it. It ain’t that hard to navigate the cyclops down into the caverns. But to each their own I guess.

The seatruck really is a poor attempt to replace both it and the seamoth.

Double grapple hook Prawn is life changing (with the jetpack upgrade, of course).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Remove all vehicles except the seaglide and replace them with an oxygen rebreather pack that lasts an actual hour per recharge. Then make reapers patrol the entire map.

Turn Subnautica into the traumatic survival horror experience it was always meant to be. :colbert:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The seamoth is the perfect vehicle, they should just have it and the prawn be able to combine, there wouldn't be any need for that clunky cyclops.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Seatruck owns, you can even carry your prawn suit. And your entire goddamn base if you want. Just detach the modules if you prefer a seamoth(or hate fun)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oasx posted:

The seamoth is the perfect vehicle, they should just have it and the prawn be able to combine, there wouldn't be any need for that clunky cyclops.
Deep Sea Macross would probably loving rule.

Zenithe posted:

Seatruck owns, you can even carry your prawn suit. And your entire goddamn base if you want. Just detach the modules if you prefer a seamoth(or hate fun)

If the wiki is up to date an entire sea truck storage module has been buffed to have... slightly less than two regular lockers worth of storage staggered across several Yx3 closets. Must be a tiny base.

Oh right, the fabricator module has a 2x6 closet which won't fit a mobile vehicle bay, but that brings you up to "Two lockers worth" total.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 16, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They rob you the joy of grappling a leviathan, holding on for dear life, and punching a leviathan to death in your prawn suit.

lol good lord, no thank you. One of the best things about the game is not having to ever kill anything (sorry small fish dead on my wind/watershield). I didn't know those things even had HP

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Section Z posted:

Deep Sea Macross would probably loving rule.

If the wiki is up to date a storage module has been buffed to have... slightly less than two regular lockers worth of storage staggered across several Yx3 closets. Must be a tiny base.

You can have more than one of each module my dude

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zenithe posted:

You can have more than one of each module my dude
Yeah, I'm just imagining how long the Sea truck would be compared to the Cyclops to meet the sales pitch of "carrying your whole base in it" :v:

Come to think of it, where do you install the battery chargers in a sea truck for that kind of lifestyle?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Remove all vehicles except the seaglide and replace them with an oxygen rebreather pack that lasts an actual hour per recharge. Then make reapers patrol the entire map.

Turn Subnautica into the traumatic survival horror experience it was always meant to be. :colbert:

Ohhh, you want the extended tanks/decompression mod combined with DeathRun :twisted:

Reapers aggro is turned up to what you’d expect. I had one come up and steal my Seamoth from the little ramp by the door to the interior of the Aurora, and it chewed my poor Seamoth in half by the time I turned around to see what the hell the racket was. I had another mod that changed the starting lifepod location, and made it sink in a weird spot.

DeathRun made anywhere near a Reaper area into a trap, if you could hear them they could see you...and they were always looking around with hungry eyes.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Reapers aggro is turned up to what you’d expect. I had one come up and steal my Seamoth from the little ramp by the door to the interior of the Aurora, and it chewed my poor Seamoth in half by the time I turned around to see what the hell the racket was. I had another mod that changed the starting lifepod location, and made it sink in a weird spot.

DeathRun made anywhere near a Reaper area into a trap, if you could hear them they could see you...and they were always looking around with hungry eyes.

Increased aggro range is something, I guess, but does the mod change their patrol area size?

The problem is that as long as the leviathan patrol areas are as small as they are, once you learn where they are they turn from horrifying threats into more-or-less stationary turrets that you can easily avoid by just zooming a couple of hundred meters to the right or left in your Seamoth. In my last couple of playthroughs the only leviathans I ever had visual contact with were the juvenile Ghost in the Lost River and the two Lava Zone dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

Increased aggro range is something, I guess, but does the mod change their patrol area size?

The problem is that as long as the leviathan patrol areas are as small as they are, once you learn where they are they turn from horrifying threats into more-or-less stationary turrets that you can easily avoid by just zooming a couple of hundred meters to the right or left in your Seamoth. In my last couple of playthroughs the only leviathans I ever had visual contact with were the juvenile Ghost in the Lost River and the two Lava Zone dragons.

Not sure about their patrol range, they just came charging as soon as I could hear them (and it seemed like they gave chase for longer too). I’d hear their roar off in the distance and figure “oh cool, it’s out there somewhere far away” then the next one was LOUD and directly behind me, right before it started chomping.