Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sexpig by night posted:

Is this really a callout to "step outside" into another thread?

lmao axeil still thinks i have buttons 18 months after i last had them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it’s eerie and entirely inaccurate lol

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

2 years ago I was yelling at chuds because they didn't want to use the words "concentration camp" despite it accurately describing the US's immigration policy
today I am yelling at libs because they don't want to use the words "concentration camp" despite it accurately describing the US's immigration policy

because they're the exact same people, op

only red team or blue team by an accident of birth

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I love them trying to turn 'you're welcome to come to a thread where you can't ban people when they disagree with you if you really want to have this conversation' to '...are you going to assault me???'

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I love them trying to turn 'you're welcome to come to a thread where you can't ban people when they disagree with you if you really want to have this conversation' to '...are you going to assault me???'

they think of this thread the same way they think of alleyways in "those" neighborhoods

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

But he's happy to have that conversation in QCS where all the d&d apologists can derail the topic so it's about Majorian instead

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
there's probably a bunch of victorian nonsense, with calipers and poo poo, that 'prove' concentration camp is the most polite term possible

when the race sciences department at oxford and d&d collide, I suppose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'people don't feel comfortable arguing where you can just probe them to stop them arguing, why not come here where it's more even?'

'my life has been threatened'

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

because they're the exact same people, op

only red team or blue team by an accident of birth

yep, their parents were red or blue so that's what they are.

My parents moved to KC back in the late 80s and now I'm a chiefs fan. It's the same thing

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

how do you even get halfway through writing a post where you basically admit “yes these are technically concentration camps but please use a different euphemism because it hurts our stupid loving thread regulars feelings” and not just decide to hang up the blue star and go find a better hobby to kill the time on

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

misadventurous posted:

how do you even get halfway through writing a post where you basically admit “yes these are technically concentration camps but please use a different euphemism because it hurts our stupid loving thread regulars feelings” and not just decide to hang up the blue star and go find a better hobby to kill the time on

Power, even in the smallest of doses, is a hell of a drug.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

yep, their parents were red or blue so that's what they are.

My parents moved to KC back in the late 80s and now I'm a chiefs fan. It's the same thing

twlight zone ep where you wake up to a world where Bernie won but later discover that in this twisted timeline the chiefs never hired Reid !!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1371900132451610627

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1371838349242204167?s=20

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Axeil thinks the problem with the financial and insurance industries is too many regulations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lol no one other than polisci nerds and frisky dingo fans even know who breyer is

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-travel-southern-border

quote:

President Biden said Tuesday he does not have any plans to travel to the southern border "at the moment," amid a migrant surge in migrants and overwhelmed facilities.

A group of GOP lawmakers traveled to the southwest border on Monday, and two other groups are set to travel there this month. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, speaking in McAllen, Texas, urged the president to travel to the border himself.

"He needs to come to this border, look what has happened, at what he's created, and change it," McCarthy told Fox News correspondent Griff Jenkins.

"It's worse than a crisis. I thought I would see a crisis, but this is really a human heartbreak," he said.

McCarthy led a group of 13 House Republicans on their trip Monday. The surge at the border includes a considerable rise in unaccompanied migrants, some of whom McCarthy met with during his trip.

MCCARTHY URGES BIDEN TO VISIT BORDER AND 'SEE WHAT HE'S CREATED'

"We have our brand-new facility to care for these children and they built it beyond capacity, thinking they would never reach it. Today, they just set the anniversary that they broke capacity, more than 1,040 children, and it's only growing every day. What that means is 120 of these border agents, that are doing an extraordinary job in unbelievable times, can't be on the border protecting us," the California Republican said.

Republicans have laid blame on Biden for the surge after he rolled back a number of Trump-era immigration restrictions he deemed inhumane, including ending the "Remain-in-Mexico" policy and reinstating "catch-and-release." Biden’s immigration agenda includes a pathway to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants.

Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas on Tuesday described the border situation as "difficult," but just as the White House has, refrained from calling it a crisis.

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that it had encountered more than 100,000 migrants at the border in February, while numbers of child migrants in custody have also increased dramatically. The Biden administration has been moving to increase capacity of facilities to house migrants, and building a number of extra facilities — including looking at NASA sites and military bases.

On Saturday, Mayorkas announced he had directed the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to support a "government-wide effort" to house child migrants.

On Tuesday, Mayorkas said the U.S. has not seen these kinds of numbers in decades.

"We are on pace to encounter more individuals on the southwest border than we have in the last 20 years," he said, although he later added that the situation is "not new" and noted the U.S. has faced border spikes before.

Meanwhile, Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn, both Texas Republicans, will lead a Senate delegation to tour the border on March 26. Texas Republican Reps. Jodey Arrington and Brian Babin will lead a 15-member Congressional team at the border from March 29-31.

Republicans gonna swap with Democrats and do a crying photo op at the border now.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

twlight zone ep where you wake up to a world where Bernie won but later discover that in this twisted timeline the chiefs never hired Reid !!!

I spend the entire episode in pajamas with one of those old tyme sleeping caps with the pompom on the end, eating handfuls of ambien and chasing it with nyquil

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The last time the camps were brought up, I suggested we could dump a ton of funding into the foster care system. Fast-tracking the paper-work and background checks, paying foster care parents more, and even paying those willing to move to the border to help look after than children.

The mods said, “maybe you should listen to people who know the foster system hmmm? :smug:” and then immediately disappeared when I told them I have had three foster licenses from three different states and have housed multiple teenagers and adolescents in the last decade, including being a legal guardian of one. :v:

yeah, but the virginia model or something

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's not wrong.

Local scientists in Nebraska have some new research on the issue.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1370450218441973772

I wish your parents had smoked weed

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

wow, you get mad if the cages are too crowded, you get mad if we add more cages, you get mad if we leave the children to starve in the streets, is there anything that would make you happy

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Majorian plz quote this post for your succzobe high five :hf:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Raiad posted:

wow, you get mad if the cages are too crowded, you get mad if we add more cages, you get mad if we leave the children to starve in the streets, is there anything that would make you happy

:d2a:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Isn't that basically true, though?

Obama was pressuring RBG to resign and she didn't - partly because she didn't want to be seen as bowing to pressure - and I'm sure that Breyer knows who gets to appoint a replacement and how old he is.

Part of it is the fantasy that the Supreme Court is apolitical, but also basic human psychology is that people will dig in when pressured.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Raiad posted:

Tbh letting a couple thousand kids who have been traumatized by being in cages loose to rampage through texas sounds cool

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

I spend the entire episode in pajamas with one of those old tyme sleeping caps with the pompom on the end, eating handfuls of ambien and chasing it with nyquil

lmao

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

What's funnier:

A) Libs instantly deleting the word "concentration camp" from their brainmeat because Orange Man Bad, Blue Man Good
B) Libs never actually believed the concentration camps on the border were that in the first place and were just saying it so that Blue Man would win

For most liberals immigration is just a thing they have a knee jerk negative reaction to because the pictures are scary and Republicans are the ones pushing the worst policies. Their beliefs have no actual substance though and they have nothing to offer as an alternative to just kicking people out. As a result they just kind of drop the issue when their guy runs ICE because in their minds making the concentration camps more humane is the best we can hope for.

I’m not joking when I say that Republicans have a MUCH better understanding of the issue than Democrats. It’s a sociopathic understanding that has a lot of racist insanity baked in, but it’s a position that actually makes a lot of sense if you’re unwilling to radically alter capitalism, the way nations interact, or the ways workers organize across borders. There’s a reason why Republicans (including Trump) win running on it despite every liberal on the planet constantly waging their finger and calling them racist in unison.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If I was overly concerned with people in another forum making fun of me for defending concentration camps, I would simply not defend concentration camps

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

:haibrow:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Obama was pressuring RBG to resign and she didn't - partly because she didn't want to be seen as bowing to pressure - and I'm sure that Breyer knows who gets to appoint a replacement and how old he is.

Part of it is the fantasy that the Supreme Court is apolitical, but also basic human psychology is that people will dig in when pressured.

Rbg knew too but she wanted to stay on for extremely dumb reasons because she was a selfish old harpy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I see Dems are going for the rarely completed “9/9 conservative majority” achievement.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Part of the reason why RBG didn't resign was that she was so drat certain that Hilldawg would be the next president and she wanted her replacement to be nominated by a female president. That obviously blew up in her face. Hopefully Breyer can see that and doesn't want that to be his legacy.. If he doesn't, then he's way more out of touch than I already thought he is and that's concerning. Either way, I don't buy for a second that lightly pressuring him is going to have a significantly negative impact.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rbg was a selfish old bitch who wanted hillary to appoint her replacement for the HISTORICAL MOMENT and that's why she didn't retire

Get the gently caress out lib

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Oh now you're in trouble

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

I didnt know neera tanden posted here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i mean the choices seem to be either: play ball with a SCOTUS judge who idiotically believes in the apoliticalness of the court and risk team red getting yet another scotus seat or telling him to eat poo poo and retire while a brief window exists and risk him being a stubborn jackass and giving team red yet another seat

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ruth Bader Ginsberg, a woman who had a standing dinner date with the grim reaper himself, did not know how old or close to death she was - something a dumbass wants you to believe

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Majorian posted:

Part of the reason why RBG didn't resign was that she was so drat certain that Hilldawg would be the next president and she wanted her replacement to be nominated by a female president. That obviously blew up in her face. Hopefully Breyer can see that and doesn't want that to be his legacy.. If he doesn't, then he's way more out of touch than I already thought he is and that's concerning. Either way, I don't buy for a second that lightly pressuring him is going to have a significantly negative impact.

breyer won't retire until he gets to appoint ta'quil to the presidency irl

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't know what the Republican goal is trying to cry humanitarian crisis on the border when they've spent the past 5 years jerking off their hogs at the idea of murdering browns that dare touch our American clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

They are in court against Texas for it right now and the ACLU is filing amicus briefs with the DOJ.

There's tons of things to get on him about, but they are literally doing one of the things that you claim they aren't doing.

The more damning things are the very slow rollout of new rules for CBP/ICE. They are removing them from ICE/CBP custody after less than 72 hours, but that is more of a bandaid.

so its cool that the "100 day deportation ban" isn't having a single effect and the ACLU will most likely spend the rest of those days fighting it in court? Also, I will admit that Im not a lawyer or law understander, but isnt the ACLU a non-partisan non-profit organization, you know, independent of any admin? How is them suing the judge mean that Biden is fighting it too?

And the packing in immigrants well past the corona limits on the camps? I guess biden never really said anything about that so that's cool too

so weird how when republicans are in charge, they just go ahead and do the lovely things they want to do but when dems are in charge, all of their paths to progress are completely blocked and their hands are tied :shrug: