Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't know what the Republican goal is trying to cry humanitarian crisis on the border when they've spent the past 5 years jerking off their hogs at the idea of murdering browns that dare touch our American clay.

"There's so many more of them, because dems believe in abolishing borders, look!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

breyer won't retire until he gets to appoint ta'quil to the presidency irl

can no one stop Killer Mike and his versatility?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Josh Christ posted:

Rbg was a selfish old bitch who wanted hillary to appoint her replacement for the HISTORICAL MOMENT and that's why she didn't retire

Get the gently caress out lib

oh come now, someone took up my offer of unbriddled discussion in here

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Rbg knew too but she wanted to stay on for extremely dumb reasons because she was a selfish old harpy

remembering that rbg was first diagnosed with cancer in 1999. then they found more of it in 2009. then they removed two tumors from her lungs in 2018, and then finally the pancreatic cancer that was the final nail was diagnosed in 2019.

how many loving ways can God go "yo I'm calling you home soon" before you can read the writing on the goddamn wall

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Excelzior posted:

can no one stop Killer Mike and his versatility?

cody 2

i'll get the radioactive ants you get a lovely news lady

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/15/us/border-migrant-children-texas.html

the quotes from this article are particularly damming about what little the Biden administration are capable of.

"Ms. Welch said the lawyers were not allowed by the Justice Department to go inside the facility, but instead were allowed to interview about 20 children brought to a portable unit."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean the choices seem to be either: play ball with a SCOTUS judge who idiotically believes in the apoliticalness of the court and risk team red getting yet another scotus seat or telling him to eat poo poo and retire while a brief window exists and risk him being a stubborn jackass and giving team red yet another seat

I agree that there probably isn't any significant harm to pressuring him on it. But, at the same time, if he is really dedicated to not retiring for one reason or another - like RBG - then I don't think there is a way to effectively force him. It's just up to his old man brain to do the right thing.

If he doesn't retire this summer after the current term is over and he's voted on all the current pending cases, then it is a sign we're hosed.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Edit nvm beaten

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raccooon posted:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-travel-southern-border

Republicans gonna swap with Democrats and do a crying photo op at the border now.

Marjorie Taylor Greene swap-in to the picture of AOC crying at the chainlink fence except she's going to tell everyone it's Biden's adrenochrome factory or something.

Almost like we have unlimited demand to incarcerate undesirables leading to us chaotically turning all kinds of places into prisons and guess who ELSE found themselves with that problem

quote:

The number of prisoners in 1933–1934 is difficult to determine; Jane Caplan estimated it at 50,000, with arrests perhaps exceeding 100,000,[13] while Wachsmann estimated that between 150,000 and 200,000 people were subjected to detention without trial in 1933.[12] About 70 camps were established in 1933, in any convenient structure that could hold prisoners, including vacant factories, prisons, country estates, schools, workhouses, and castles. Many sites were reused as Nazi detention facilities later on.[13][12] There was no national system;[17] camps were operated by local police, SS, and SA, state interior ministries, or a combination of the above.[13][12] The early camps in 1933–1934 were heterogenous and unlike those created in and after 1936, in fundamental aspects such as organization, conditions, and the groups imprisoned.[18] Therefore, researchers have begun to call them "early camps" rather than "concentration camps".[18] Although the camps were not sites of routine killings,[12] their unprecedented violence marked the end of the Weimar Republic.[18]

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Edit nvm beaten

And in 2002, and 2004, and 2007, and 2012, and 2018, and 2020

It felt like it at least

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lib and let die posted:

Posting on the weed page

You're putting effort in here which I appreciate, so I'll give you that much. But we're done with this particular debate in here. If you don't like that, fair enough but either take it to PMs, PM another mod, or take it to QCS. Stop posting about it in here. Thanks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

so its cool that the "100 day deportation ban" isn't having a single effect and the ACLU will most likely spend the rest of those days fighting it in court? Also, I will admit that Im not a lawyer or law understander, but isnt the ACLU a non-partisan non-profit organization, you know, independent of any admin? How is them suing the judge mean that Biden is fighting it too?

They are filing an amicus brief as part of the lawsuit, but they aren't a direct party to the lawsuit.

quote:

What Are Amicus Briefs?

An amicus curiae is a person who isn’t a party to a case. They assist an appellate court by offering additional, relevant information or arguments the court may want to consider before making their ruling. The phrase, amicus curiae, is Latin for “friend of the court.” Amicus briefs – shorthand for the formal term “amicus curiae briefs,” are legal briefs filed in appellate courts by amicus curiae. They are submitted in a specific case under review. They essentially show the court that its final decision will impact people other than the parties.

Amicus briefs are filed by people who typically take the position of one side in a case, in the process supporting a cause that has some bearing on the issues in the case. The groups most likely to file amicus briefs are businesses, academics, government entities, non-profits and trade associations.

In the first 100 years of American high-court cases, amicus briefs were rare. From 1900 to 1950, amicus briefs were filed in only about 10% of all of the cases on appeal, according to a review of amicus advocacy published by the University of Pennsylvania Law Review. However, the landscape has now completely changed — so much so that today more amicus briefs are being filed in the state and federal appellate courts than ever before.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Reality Protester posted:

You're putting effort in here which I appreciate, so I'll give you that much. But we're done with this particular debate in here. If you don't like that, fair enough but either take it to PMs, PM another mod, or take it to QCS. Stop posting about it in here. Thanks.

gently caress you

I know, but it felt good

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

im getting a screen printer

everyone in here can get 10% off of the first run of notorious stephen breyer t-shirts (american apparel 2001)

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

:rip: rask

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The QCS meltdown he caused was :discourse:.

I read through the 2016 lover QCS meltdown, and 1800s Pick absolutely would have gotten somebody lynched

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are filing an amicus brief as part of the lawsuit, but they aren't a direct party to the lawsuit.

So why bring them up other than to distract from the fact that the biden administration is conplicit in genocide

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

really queer Christmas posted:

I didnt know neera tanden posted here

lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh come now, someone took up my offer of unbriddled discussion in here

Why does everything have to be a forums war with y'all? Why can't people just post about poo poo without this juvenile inter-forums garbage? User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

taking things to pms is harassment, actually, you disgusting misogynist

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'unbridled debate'

*probed by a D&D mod angrier at another thread existing than one of their fellow mods being a genocide denier*

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Isn't that basically true, though?

Obama was pressuring RBG to resign and she didn't - partly because she didn't want to be seen as bowing to pressure - and I'm sure that Breyer knows who gets to appoint a replacement and how old he is.

Part of it is the fantasy that the Supreme Court is apolitical, but also basic human psychology is that people will dig in when pressured.

it's yet another example of how the democrat party is not a party but a jobs guild. any long term goals the party supposedly has get thrown out the window because some ancient old gently caress wants to get some kind of personal achievement by never retiring, broader consequences be damned.

Majorian posted:

Part of the reason why RBG didn't resign was that she was so drat certain that Hilldawg would be the next president and she wanted her replacement to be nominated by a female president. That obviously blew up in her face. Hopefully Breyer can see that and doesn't want that to be his legacy.. If he doesn't, then he's way more out of touch than I already thought he is and that's concerning. Either way, I don't buy for a second that lightly pressuring him is going to have a significantly negative impact.

staev this is a day late but please go back and probate every single person who posted in uspol for the last 48 hours with the reasons "that's creepy" "that's gross" "if you don't understand why this post is creepy you are gross" etc. maybe this latest plague of nonsense can be nipped in the bud.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
I mean, there was a time in D&D when people were allowed to call concentration camps "concentration camps"

Handsome Ralph posted:

With that, you start to get into the Functionalism vs. Intentionalism debate. When the camps originally started out in Germany, they were much more like the British camps from the Boer War then they were like Auschwitz. As time went on, that obviously changed. So Hitler isn't lying when he says that, but he was still pulling a whataboutism at the time. Britain was no longer using camps, they hadn't been for damned near 30 years (though they would again in Kenya in another 15 years).

As loving terrible as the British concentration camps were, they weren't built with the explicit purpose of wiping out the entirety of the Boer population in South Africa. As the Nazis began to build new and larger camps, they constructed them or upgraded them with the intent on wiping out large numbers of prisoners rather than just containing them. That's the difference.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Why does everything have to be a forums war with y'all? Why can't people just post about poo poo without this juvenile inter-forums garbage? User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

:thunk:

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
can we please please just be allowed to make fun of D&D succ? for christs sake just allow it in CSPAM and say anyone who goes to post there gets probated or whatever, good lord

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Josh Christ posted:

So why bring them up other than to distract from the fact that the biden administration is conplicit in genocide

Because the claim was that the Biden administration wasn't "lifting a finger" and weren't in court to fight the deportation ban injunction. But, they are literally in court fighting the deportation ban injunction.

The ACLU filing an amicus brief was just part of the article. I do not write for the Associated Press.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey dude what do you say to Biden whistling Dixie as his CBP and ICE continually deport kids above and beyond what is required by law in flagrant violation of his executive orders to them? And in order to silence witnesses against crimes committed by his ICE troops?

quote:

The Biden administration issued a 100-day moratorium on deportations on taking office, with exceptions for suspected terrorists, dangerous criminals and arrivals at the border after 1 November last year. The moratorium alone would not have stopped Monday’s Title 42 expulsions, officials said.

The moratorium itself was blocked by a Trump-appointed Texas judge on 26 January, though the judge did not strike down new guidelines, calling on Ice to focus its resources on deporting only potentially dangerous migrants. The agency however appeared to ignore those guidelines last week, attempting to deport a planeload of African migrants last week, leading to accusations it was a rogue agency. The flight was stopped at the last minute on the grounds that some of the deportees could be witnesses in an investigation into abuse by Ice agents.

Following intense lobbying from community groups and congressional staffers, who pointed to the political instability and lawlessness in Haiti, repatriation flights to Haiti were paused on Friday, but they resumed on Monday.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thinking concentration camps are bad even when Blue Team is in charge of them makes you a toddler apparently.

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

Has anyone heard from the couple that killed rgb with covid at their wedding lmfao

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hey uh guys we're apparently getting some baleful eye on us and maybe it'd be good if we stuck to bashing libs from Twitter instead of doing forums drama here for a little while

I like having a zone and I don't like when my zone gets taken away, work with me here

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1371876226550407171

I thought this was a great idea during the primaries but the administration seems all too happy to let blue dogs cackle as they shut down every reconciliation idea so I dunno

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

he can’t retire while Dems hold congress and the White House! Mitch McConnell would just forcibly keep the seat open until 2024!!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Thinking concentration camps are bad even when Blue Team is in charge of them makes you a toddler apparently.

locking up children is bad, goo goo ga ga

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

keep it up and i'll send the mods all of our PMs

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just want to make sure that people are aware that the whole "well, there's been a surge of migrants coming in under Biden, so he can't do anything" is an outright lie and a fabricated talking point

https://twitter.com/TomWongPhD/status/1371522262839521287

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nix Panicus posted:

I read through the 2016 lover QCS meltdown, and 1800s Pick absolutely would have gotten somebody lynched

:chloe:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Careful everyone or Crusty Nutsack's gonna kettle us again for making fun of the genocide denial forum

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Oldest Man posted:

Hey dude what do you say to Biden whistling Dixie as his CBP and ICE continually deport kids above and beyond what is required by law in flagrant violation of his executive orders to them? And in order to silence witnesses against crimes committed by his ICE troops?

Abolish ICE. Nobody is defending that.

But, saying "lawsuit doesn't exist" when it clearly does exist is being silly and not focusing on the actual problems.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's only been 50 days give him some time!

No not like that!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Let us have a mock thread you loving cowards.

In the interest of preserving the zone please 6er me if I bring it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

breyer won't retire until he gets to appoint ta'quil to the presidency irl

See, if he'd just be open about this I'd stop standing outside of his house every night screaming "RETIRE BITCH" into a long line of megaphones Bart Simpson-style.