Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat, genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They made recordbreaking profits too, so there is absolutely no need to lay these people off. Just have them help host digital esport events.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hey that's like 70 Hearthstone packs.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:capitalism:

When did this sort of thing become commonplace in game development? Was it mainly from the 360/PS3 gen onwards? I ask because that's when games seemed to suddenly require much larger teams and longer development periods so presumably led to increased crunch time etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I bet some of those people were the Vicarious Visions devs they absorbed in, too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I need to memorialize here the fact that Video Games just killed himself in Dark Souls 2 by jumping off a high ledge with no health, and it made Lady Video Games so mad that she got out of bed and came into the room to yell at him.

E: poo poo I should have clipped that, I don't know how to Twitch good

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
One hell of a way to end the stream too. Good times.

EDIT: Clipped for posterity

Draga fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 16, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Convex posted:

:capitalism:

When did this sort of thing become commonplace in game development? Was it mainly from the 360/PS3 gen onwards? I ask because that's when games seemed to suddenly require much larger teams and longer development periods so presumably led to increased crunch time etc.

Before this game studios had their own problems, in that it was exactly the same except the slave labor was just an explicit part of the job before they had to start pretending they didn't grind people into dust.

But yeah, this is basically a result of game dev companies becoming an exact mirror of film companies except you don't have a constant line of work. This is why on-disc DLC was a thing for a while, because after a team had finished their work, if you didn't have another game you were working on (which is now way less common due to massive studios also having multiple offices, each relegated to a single project), you'd just have them start DLC before the game was even out because they had the free time. Now you just boot the massive teams you don't need anymore because game companies have figured out the new solution to this problem, which is to not actually have any employees at all and just outsource as much of the work as you can to third-party companies.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Had a great time watching VG die a bunch jumping off of things in Dark Souls 2 tonight :3:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I hate to Kramer in here, but does anyone have a recommendation for a website/app/whatever that will consolidate all my game libraries in one place? Mostly I'm looking for something that will show both Steam and Playstation libraries, but if it does other stuff that's cool too (like RetroArch, but I know that ain't going to happen). Google popped up with AllMyGames, but that refuses to sync with my PSN games. It shows Steam just fine, but not anything else and according to their discord it gets maintained sporadically. I also saw that GoG is going GoG Galaxy now, but that's only a windows launcher and I wouldn't be able to see my combined library on my phone when I'm out and about. Does anyone have any other recommendations before I go nuts and start an excell doc on my Google Drive or something stupid?

Basically I'm just tired of accidentally buying games twice because they're on sale and I remember thinking I should play it at some point.

I’d recommend rawg.io for this. It’s a website where you make an account and can sync up your Steam, Xbox, PSN and GOG accounts and it’ll put them all in one spot. You can put in simple reviews, too, like saying if you gave up on it or giving it a thumbs up.

The biggest downside I can think of is that when you search your library for a game it doesn’t tell you what service you have the game on. So, for instance, I can tell that I own Joten but I don’t know where.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 16, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Draga posted:

One hell of a way to end the stream too. Good times.

EDIT: Clipped for posterity

Lmao thank you

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Before this game studios had their own problems, in that it was exactly the same except the slave labor was just an explicit part of the job before they had to start pretending they didn't grind people into dust.

But yeah, this is basically a result of game dev companies becoming an exact mirror of film companies except you don't have a constant line of work. This is why on-disc DLC was a thing for a while, because after a team had finished their work, if you didn't have another game you were working on (which is now way less common due to massive studios also having multiple offices, each relegated to a single project), you'd just have them start DLC before the game was even out because they had the free time. Now you just boot the massive teams you don't need anymore because game companies have figured out the new solution to this problem, which is to not actually have any employees at all and just outsource as much of the work as you can to third-party companies.

That makes sense and also makes me sad. I feel like the PS2 / GC generation was the last one before development seemed to turn into a meat grinder :(

On an uplifting note I was just looking for an Xbox controls mod for Wind Waker HD in CEMU and turns out you can now mod the game to be a female character! https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/16862

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

lol the final boss fight for the Legend of Dragoon is not a fight you want to lose (it takes over 1 hour to beat).

I love how you go from the weird primordial beginning of time to like the end of the world apocalypse throughout the fight; it's great

yes It Long though

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s the option to switch the dark souls 2 jump button back to dark souls 1

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Convex posted:

That makes sense and also makes me sad. I feel like the PS2 / GC generation was the last one before development seemed to turn into a meat grinder :(

Nah, there's tons of interviews about like, people sleeping overnight at their offices for weeks on end to make like, lovely Sega Saturn racing games and stuff, this has always been what the process is like. Like, think about all of the big tech bosses now like Zuckerberg, and now imagine them running a game dev studio. We know about all the weird poo poo Carmack did at Id and what kind of conditions those guys were under, but now think of all the studios you haven't heard about where you just know that exact same stuff must have been going on because all those tech obsessives are all the same breed of psycho.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's awesome. It's really pretty stupid and lovely of Nintendo for not having made this a thing long ago. Link was named link expressly to memorialize the link between player and game avatar... so let people change the goddamn alien elf to better link to it! I think in 100% of Zelda games the change could be accomplished entirely with dialogue changes. Link's already got beautiful eyes and eyelashes, long flowing shiny hair, a dress, carries a purse of bombs and gems, wears pantyhose, forced to grunt while fighting against the world alone, etc

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Update to previous post, you can also mod the original GameCube version of WW in Dolphin to be a female or gender neutral character :)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Can't tell if this is gonna be any good but I am excited for a competently-executed character-action-ey D&D game

what I would really appreciate is an SPRG that just imports all of the battle system crap from 4E and automates the process and lets me play around with the plethora of fightin' options that game had though

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is the year of health coverage legally required or something? More than I would've expected from blizzard at this point.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I’d recommend rawg.io for this. It’s a website where you make an account and can sync up your Steam, Xbox, PSN and GOG accounts and it’ll put them all in one spot. You can put in simple reviews, too, like saying if you gave up on it or giving it a thumbs up.

The biggest downside I can think of is that when you search your library for a game it doesn’t tell you what service you have the game on. So, for instance, I can tell that I own Joten but I don’t know where.

You know, this is basically a fancier version of the one I was looking at earlier, but it looks like this one is better upkept. If I can figure out what the heck is making my PSN games not sync, I think I'll stick with it. Worst case scenario, I add my PSN games manually, but I have way less of them than I do Steam games at least. Thanks for the recommendation.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I used to delete saves as a kid as an acknowledgement I was done with a game. Having 15 years of cloud saves with xbox has messed me up when I boot up something like Feeding Frenzy and it knows where I left off.

thats hosed

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

So it seems like the enhanced version of Strangers of Sword city is only a part of the new successor/sequel/??? game that came out and isn't available separately, which seems weird

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is the sequel good? Interested in Sword City

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's 11 reviews for the game and zero of them are about the games themselves and are mostly just people getting into passive-aggressive arguments with each other about how the port is bad because you have to watch the first cutscene in the game to get to the options menu to exit fullscreen, or how controllers don't work, or how actually controllers do work or how the fullscreen thing isn't a big deal. I hate Steam reviews.

That being said 45$ is a lot to roll the dice on this. Might try out a """"demo"""" before you buy

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

VG, I napped with your stream on. But I’ve been sick, and it was a nice nap, so I needed that thank you.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's 11 reviews for the game and zero of them are about the games themselves and are mostly just people getting into passive-aggressive arguments.

There should be a checkbox om Steam reviews to indicate if a review is
1) a hilarious comedy review
2) weird technical issue that only affects Linux users with Voodoo videocards
3) someone upset about the latest gamergate style pretend outrage
4) at least somewhat relating to the actual game

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Dark Alliance looks like poo poo but that’s because I was hoping (more like dreaming) they would actually make something like the old Dark Alliance games and have it be a hack and slasher but it just looked like a faster action souls type game. No thanks.

I just want a hack and slash game like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, but I don’t think it will ever happen.

Diablo 3 is the closest thing but something about it never grabbed me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Also that aesthetic (DA trailer, not D3) just isn't for me

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Acerbatus posted:

Is the year of health coverage legally required or something? More than I would've expected from blizzard at this point.

I don't think it's legally required in this case. CA has their own rules (CA's "mini-WARN Act" does apply here) and I have no idea what their leg passed with covid monies, but typically you get an invite to pay into COBRA which loving sucks. Hey you just lost your job and have no money, want to pay ~$2600 a month to keep your health insurance? I do HR as a living and the US is so cruel.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I've somehow never played Prey so I nabbed it offa gamepass and wow.

it's like "what if bioshock, but we make a good game instead"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm thinking about how drat good The Game Bakers are and how I wanna replay both their games

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've somehow never played Prey so I nabbed it offa gamepass and wow.

it's like "what if bioshock, but we make a good game instead"
I played it for the first time in 2020 and it was honestly a "Jesus why wasn't everyone losing it over how good this game is in 2017?" sort of feeling. Like yeah that year was crazy stacked but god drat, people should have been shoving it down everyone's throat that year.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

goon tax

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

angle tax

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played Prey last year and thought it was decent but nothing to gush about

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's 11 reviews for the game and zero of them are about the games themselves and are mostly just people getting into passive-aggressive arguments with each other about how the port is bad because you have to watch the first cutscene in the game to get to the options menu to exit fullscreen, or how controllers don't work, or how actually controllers do work or how the fullscreen thing isn't a big deal. I hate Steam reviews.

That being said 45$ is a lot to roll the dice on this. Might try out a """"demo"""" before you buy

Stranger of Sword city has some great art and a neat hook but it has a lot of rough edges almost all in tedium due to poor QoL. The updated version eases this some, for instance nerfing a dungeon so cruel I can't believe they shipped like that, but plenty of other stuff is still not actually fixed. You will still be making insanely long runs back through dungeons and grinding mindlessly while always facing a chance to just sort of have all your time wasted due to critical hits.

Rerelease is like a 7 out of ten to the base games 5 or 6.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can I buy food from Battle.net

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it's /pizza

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I buy food from Battle.net