Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaz-L posted:

Batman & Robin has a lot of the same elements, but the third act in particular is just far too long. The bits people enjoy there are about 40% of the actual picture, and the rest of the time you're just bored.

Yeah, there's definitely bits of Batman & Robin that are pretty decent, John Wick of Dogs's list has a bunch of them, but I think that as a whole the movie fails to be as entertaining as it should.

Was it someone here who described Batman '89 as a Tim Burton Batman movie, and Returns as a Tim Burton movie with Batman? Because I feel like that's the best descriptor. I liked Batman Returns, I only saw it fully a few years ago too, but it's a weird loving movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Madkal posted:

Movie is pretty fresh in my brain (mostly for the scene where the replayed the acid being thrown in Harvey's face and Batman is there like he was just chilling with the jury before the incident) and yes Batman did a whole dive down to save Chase and Robin but by the time Two Face shows up to shoot all of them they are chilling on a railing just below the railing Two Face is on. All three are standing up and being supported on their own two feet. When Two Face falls they all kind of just watch him plummet. Now I am not saying Batman should have dived down again to grab Two Face but they could have bullshitted him just firing a grappling hook or something into Two Face's leg.

Here's the scene again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjOcYSzGMD4

Fair play, I recalled them ledge hanging v ledge standing wrongly as it's years since I saw it but I still maintain context matters. You seriously think the #1 thing on Batman's mind in that moment is to kill him and not just prevent them all from getting plugged? Especially given everything about Kilmer's portrayal, the lack of violence compared to Keaton's version, the speeches he keeps giving to Robin, etc. No sooner had he used up three grapples catching them and pulling them all to safety then Harvey's waving a gun in their faces. He'd already used his chonky batarang on Nygma's McGuffin before jumping after Chase and Robin, I dunno what more you'd expect him to do, he's not Superman.

Most of the films delight in putting Batman in impossible/inescapable, compromising situations and I have no problem with it. Keaton's the only one I'd consider actually murderous though because he racks up a body count with intent, and without it being necessary. The rest could not be considered executioners at all.

Anyway, the biggest crime any Batman committed was Adam West not saving Jill St John when she snuck in disguised as Robin imo. That reactor would not meet OSHA standards.
:colbert:

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I’m sure if he actually wanted to kill Dent he could have just thrown all the coins in his face(s) as hard as possible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Batman '66 pilot is kind of amazing because they hadn't quite established the formula. In later episodes the henchgirl of the week always gets redeemed. And in that pilot, Gorshin actually goes kind of legit menacing in one or two beats.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Jonathan Kent's a frustrating character who talks out of both ends of his rear end constantly and is the sole primary catalyst holding Clark back from being a fulfilled and successful Superman, and yet Snyder expects us feel see him as some profound font of wisdom. He makes Clark feel guilty about saving his classmates, fills his heart with fears and self-doubts that linger well into his adulthood, sermonizes about some great weighty destiny that Clark has to fulfill and then calls him selfish for wanting to leave their home. Literally every single thing he does is designed to hinder Clark's development as a proactive hero, and yet we're supposed to think by the end of the film that Clark being Superman was exactly his keikaku all along.

It's some of the most inherently backwards writing that modern films have ever produced.

He's ACCIDENTALLY played as a super realistic Midwesterner instead of a Rockwellian man who thought about the common good in other people and himself. Also Clark being so horny for Lois and she being so horny for him that they make out in a massive field of destroyed buildings and the ashes of people falling all around them will never not be peak Snyder. Justice League will be easily 4 hours because 1 1/2 hours will be in slow motion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CapnAndy posted:

That's its charm!

WB was like "okay Tim we've got three plot ideas for you, you can either do a grounded take on Batman fighting corporate corruption, some sadomasochistic poo poo with Catwoman, or a totally campy revamp of one of the silliest Batman '66 episodes" and Burton was only like, half-listening, this is what I choose to believe.

I would think if it was charming if it felt like it did any of those well. I also don't think that movie has much Burton in it outside of set design, definitely not as much as it has the writer, Daniel Waters, who did similar tonal mish-mashes with Heathers (good!) and Hudson Hawk (awful!).

I will say that Pfeiffer and DeVito do their goddamnest to make that movie work despite the material given to them - especially DeVito because that movie cannot figure out what the gently caress it wants Penguin to do while Catwoman actually has some good bits - and it almost offsets how incredibly bored and phoning-it-in Keaton is.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 17, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jiro posted:

Justice League will be easily 4 hours because 1 1/2 hours will be in slow motion.

from the reviews it sounds like this part at least might be true

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Batman Returns is good but absolutely Batman is an afterthought in it; which isn’t necessarily a bad on its own.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Danger posted:

Batman Returns is good but absolutely Batman is an afterthought in it; which isn’t necessarily a bad on its own.

Fun fact: Batman is an afterthought because Keaton had script control and cut out like 2/3rds of his lines.

My dude was in that movie for the 10 mil and did not give a fuuuuck

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Danger posted:

I think it’s just that, at that point, Gotham is Batman. Like, in the first one Gotham is very dark and noir and exaggerated, but there’s no doubt that Batman is exceptional, a strange phenomenon in a more grounded world. In Returns, the whole city has descended into madness, leaving Batman as the agent of normalcy in a world crazier than he is.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Blockhouse posted:

Fun fact: Batman is an afterthought because Keaton had script control and cut out like 2/3rds of his lines.

My dude was in that movie for the 10 mil and did not give a fuuuuck

Which is funny as his intro scene has stuck with me as one of the classic, quintessential Batman moments: it's Christmas, everyone else is out and about excited for the holidays and this poor bastard is just slumped lifelessly in a chair, alone in the dark. He's got everything and nothing until the signal kicks in and he's suddenly springs to life, or at least what passes for it.

Batman Returns may not be a great Batman film per se but it's a great film with Batman in it. It's pretty much 'This Be The Verse': Christmas fetish gear edition, all these poor broken people messed up by family in one way or another.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno, I just don't see it.

Though who knows maybe I'm just blinded by my abject hatred of how the movie's one joke is "ha ha the Penguin is horny"

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Blockhouse posted:

Though who knows maybe I'm just blinded by my abject hatred of how the movie's one joke is "ha ha the Penguin is horny"

Danny Devito and Michelle Pfeiffer are the best parts so I have no idea what you are on about.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

ALL of the main characters are horny, not just DeVito.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Love that movie, and the ballroom scene between Selina and Bruce is legit great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zack Snyder's Justice League getting a big thumbs up from Gail Simone(who has been quite critical of other Snyder movies in the past)

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1371851616995934219?s=19
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1371852169910095873?s=19
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1371852920451436555?s=19
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1371853918649655305?s=19

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I remember Batman Returns turning me off vichyssoise (I thought it was pea) soup as cold sloppy peas leeks sounded so disgusting. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QysaxLeOcnQ

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'll be honest, I'm waiting to see if RLM will do a half in the bag about the cut. If they are positive then that's gonna be quite the surprise. I was also waiting for Jenny Nicholson's but she already bailed.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Vintersorg posted:

I remember Batman Returns turning me off vichyssoise (I thought it was pea) soup as cold sloppy peas leeks sounded so disgusting. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QysaxLeOcnQ

I remember being in Barcelona one time for a works thing, the 4 of us trapesed around for what seemed like hours trying to find a place with decent vegan options for our boss. Finally, we found somewhere getting on for 10pm at this point and I was ravenous. I ordered some soup, desperate for it to arrive asap. Instead, it seemed to take another 30-40 minutes before any of our food turned up...

..and it turns out it was a cold, pinkish soup. Were I not surrounded by people, I'd have howled to the skies and shaken my fist at the gods in despair, it was loving hideous.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Blockhouse posted:

Sez fuckin’ you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoSfp3KGwzw

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 17, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Desperado Bones posted:

I'll be honest, I'm waiting to see if RLM will do a half in the bag about the cut. If they are positive then that's gonna be quite the surprise. I was also waiting for Jenny Nicholson's but she already bailed.

I'll spoil their review for you: They hate anything that doesn't stick to a very rigid formula or structure they learned in film school.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They're also not gonna suddenly say something nice about a snyder film. Heck they didnt even review knives out the cowards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought I remembered them reviewing knives out and complaining the protagonist is too perfect and selfless. Maybe an aside in another review

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'll spoil their review for you: They hate anything that doesn't stick to a very rigid formula or structure they learned in film school.

Yeah I gotta say they really haven't done anything I've considered terribly funny or insightful since their Star Wars prequel home run a hundred years ago

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:shrug: They are entertaining. For me, because I sometimes have a juvenile humor. I mean, I post here in Something Awful.

If I want a critic that isn't biased for being a hardcore fan/anti- I always like to look at stuff like Folding Ideas and so on and so on.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah I gotta say they really haven't done anything I've considered terribly funny or insightful since their Star Wars prequel home run a hundred years ago
They had have a few good ones. Like the one with Max Landis was fun, the bad part is that it has Max Landis.

Edit: And please don't make this about trying to dogpile me cuz you all are considering me an anti or whatever.. Enjoy your movie, I'm just curious about what other people has to say about it. That is all.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 17, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I also like Red Letter Media, I watch 75% of their videos, but their reviews of any recently released film are the lowest quality and least inciteful of their content.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I also like Red Letter Media, I watch 75% of their videos, but their reviews of any recently released film are the lowest quality and least inciteful of their content.

I honestly gonna agree.They have wins and misses.
I hate the ones were they slip into some cringy pandering to chuds (Captain Marvel's was awful, the Star Wars sequels were as well).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah RLM HITB is pretty much a miss when it is something like a superhero blockbuster nowadays; I like because of COVID they are able to talk about weird smaller films now

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Is there any word on how and where the new Justice League cut will be made available in countries that don't have HBO Max? I'm not super excited to watch it, but I also don't want to be behind on The Discourse. :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Is there any word on how and where the new Justice League cut will be made available in countries that don't have HBO Max? I'm not super excited to watch it, but I also don't want to be behind on The Discourse. :(
Here in the UK it's gonna be on Sky Cinema/NowTV

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crave in Canada.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah RLM HITB is pretty much a miss when it is something like a superhero blockbuster nowadays; I like because of COVID they are able to talk about weird smaller films now

HitB sucks because Jay sucks and that little turd hates anything that isn’t an AGFA/Arrow release or 70’s giallo. He just constantly sits there and shits on everything else they talk about and I’d rather listen to Rich’s godawful Plinkett character for an hour than hear Jay whine about blockbusters. Best of the Worst is still the best series they have because the panel format works better for their various personalities.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I have to be honest, at this point even if a number of people I have strong faith in say it's good, I'm kind of unlikely to watch the Snyder cut for two reasons

1) I dislike MOTS, BVS, and the Whedon cut(and Suicide Squad, which I'll admit is just me being unfair) in that way where I'd just as much never watch anything tangentially related to them again. I'd watch any given Resident Evil movie a second time before any of those. My ambivalence about these incarnations of these characters is so pronounced it cancels out the 30-some odd years I've spent liking them in other media formats

2) It's loving four hours long dude

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It is a healthy and reasonable response to say "I didn't like the first 2 films in this franchise so I'm not interested in the 3rd." Not everything's for everyone, even comic films for all comic fans.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Yeah, I'll never understand people that go into these movies knowing they'll hate them just to bitch about them online. I barely have time to watch movies I actually want to see nowadays.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Some of its surely FOMO. People keep telling you you should care about something, sometimes you believe them in spite of yourself.

Some of its probably residual comic book fan scarcity of options. There was a time it was hard to find a quality comic book adaption. Now that there's an excess of options some fans probably are still like "oh, a new comic book film" in a way other fans don't react to EVERY new film in their favorite genre.

Some of it is dealing with characters and stories that exist outside the film. That's what leads to the debates of what Batman "should" do or what Superman "should" be. People are invested in these characters before they knew Zack Snyder's name so even if they don't like what he's doing part of them is still invested.

And some of it is just people being assholes and wanting to be part of the tribalism and toxic poo poo. Some people like "hate watching" things.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
"Hate-watching" owns. But it is deffo an art in terms of staying sane. And it really does deserve scare quotes because if you really hated what you're watching you'd turn it off, prob.

I almost feel like the runtime of Snyder Cut is gonna bite me in the rear end; I never enjoyed Snyder's Watchmen for the same reason. I don't think the script-work / acting in his movies ever justifies long runtimes.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 17, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MoaM posted:

"Hate-watching" owns. But it is deffo an art in terms of staying sane. And it really does deserve scare quotes because if you really hated what you're watching you'd turn it off, prob.

I almost feel like the runtime of Snyder Cut is gonna bite me in the rear end; I never enjoyed Snyder's Watchmen for the same reason. I don't think the script-work / acting in his movies ever justifies long runtimes.

It's split into chapters, why not just take breaks in between as if it was a TV show?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Which country do you live? Scandinavia has HBO Nordic, Germany and UK have Sky, Canada has Crave... It really depends on the country

OnimaruXLR posted:

I have to be honest, at this point even if a number of people I have strong faith in say it's good, I'm kind of unlikely to watch the Snyder cut for two reasons

1) I dislike MOTS, BVS, and the Whedon cut(and Suicide Squad, which I'll admit is just me being unfair) in that way where I'd just as much never watch anything tangentially related to them again. I'd watch any given Resident Evil movie a second time before any of those. My ambivalence about these incarnations of these characters is so pronounced it cancels out the 30-some odd years I've spent liking them in other media formats

2) It's loving four hours long dude

If you dislike MoS and BvS I don't think you'll particularly enjoy ZSJL, tbh, and that's fine. Hate watching is silly, you're better off catching up on a show you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Here in Australia it's apparently going to be available on the Binge streaming service or on a special DC movies on demand pop up channel on Foxtel