Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Starfleet has officially dedicated spec-ops units, and in general they really respect seniority and don't seem to acknowledge ability slipping with age. So obviously the most important jobs should be done by the most senior of staff.

Didn't Starfleet have special forces in "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"? Anyway, I think the Enterprise, being such a large ship, should have a small squad of marines for away missions. Maybe just twenty or so young men who actually wear armor when going down into combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

He's genuinely convinced he's the good guy and the Bajorans just don't understand what they're missing (also not sure if the creepy fetishism is a cause or effect here); but in the end actually doing what's right for Bajor would have been giving up on the occupation, and his ego, patriotism, and racism just wont let him admit that.
The book "Talk of the Devil" featured seven interviews with deposed dictators in exile like Idi Amin and they all sounded just like this. Every one of them felt righteous about what they had done and assumed that their falls from grace were temporary circumstances that would be reversed once the people realized what great leaders they had been and stopped listening to the political enemies or foreign agitators that had forced them into exile. Dukat's character really captured that same vibe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Didn't Starfleet have special forces in "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier"? Anyway, I think the Enterprise, being such a large ship, should have a small squad of marines for away missions. Maybe just twenty or so young men who actually wear armor when going down into combat.

Send these guys

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Did everyone forget about the MACOs? It’s ok if you did.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peyote Panda posted:

The book "Talk of the Devil" featured seven interviews with deposed dictators in exile like Idi Amin and they all sounded just like this. Every one of them felt righteous about what they had done and assumed that their falls from grace were temporary circumstances that would be reversed once the people realized what great leaders they had been and stopped listening to the political enemies or foreign agitators that had forced them into exile. Dukat's character really captured that same vibe.

I forget which actor said it, but the best villains legitimately see themselves as the good guys.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Timby posted:

I forget which actor said it, but the best villains legitimately see themselves as the good guys.

It's because no real person ever set out to be evil. If you want believable and preferably relatable villains, they need to have believable motivations (but with some unsympathetic elements thrown in to make them villains). Dukat has very real motivations (patriotism, family and the others that have been mentioned) and acts mostly rational about achieving his goals. He just thinks of Bajorans as a lesser lifeform that he can use as slaves and/or save.

Gowron also sort of works because he has a quite understandable motivation of being the leader of an independent Klingon empire.

The Borg are not villains, they're more a force of nature really.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Almost nothing described as 'a force of nature' in fiction is a force of nature and ascribes the party way too much power and legitimacy. They're a hegemonising swarm with pretensions

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The point of calling them a force of nature is not to call them a natural phenomenon, but to say they are essentially not a human-like actor. They're not really conscious of what they do, they just do it because that's what they do. In a way, the Borg aren't really sentient.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hey Lise, time for chili.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

The Borg are not villains, they're more a force of nature really.

The Borg are unempathetic and remorseless. That's pretty much how psychologists define evil, isn't it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Timby posted:

Shelby says at the end of BOBW2 that "we'll have the fleet back up in less than a year," so I can't imagine Starfleet was that badly stretched.
There were probably some ships where they just had to patch up a few holes and hose out the redshirts and they were at least going to be serviceable for interior patrol.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

The Borg are unempathetic and remorseless. That's pretty much how psychologists define evil, isn't it?

Yes. But also I disagree that psychology is a relevant discipline to understand the Borg. It's like using biology to understand Data.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BonHair posted:

The point of calling them a force of nature is not to call them a natural phenomenon, but to say they are essentially not a human-like actor. They're not really conscious of what they do, they just do it because that's what they do. In a way, the Borg aren't really sentient.

Sure they are, they even elect conventionally sentient sexed-up queens to lead them, which if anything suggests they have a bit too much psychology going on if you know what I mean ;)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Send these guys

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Carbon-based units?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Borg are Cortez's galleons showing up on the coast of Mexico. We don't know where they come from, their ship is unfathomably advanced, and all they tell us is 'you exist to serve us now'.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly the Borg without monarchs don't seem sentient or self-aware and could easily be on autopilot.

Individual units once pulled out of the collective seem capable of sentience, but in cubes without a control unit, they don't really seem like they register the complex presence of other thinking beings beyond just a thing that can be absorbed. In which case, the Borg are genuinely less than the sum of their parts.

Martytoof posted:

Send these guys

So like I said, the prime military age in Starfleet is 30-60 years old and Starfleet would naturally give important missions to senior old men.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Electronic old men, running the Federation

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

multijoe posted:

Electronic old men, running the Federation

s'cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Borg are one entity and that entity seems to be sentient. They are also self-aware, like, the first thing they say to anyone is basically "I think, therefore I borg"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The best Borg episode was the first one because you knew nothing about them and the episode was genuinely terrifying and hopeless feeling.

The more they workshopped the lore the stupider they got.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
we need a before/after episode showing the borg assimilating their first babe. things were never the same after

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BonHair posted:

Yes. But also I disagree that psychology is a relevant discipline to understand the Borg. It's like using biology to understand Data.
They should sure as hell be able to use psychology against others, though - they have the combined knowledge of every race they ever assimilated, so there are bound to be some world-class shrinks in there to chip in if raw force somehow fails.

I always thought it would have been cool to explain FC's Queen as essentially a psychological weapon against Data, who they know (from Picard) wants more than anything else to be human. But nope, somehow she was "always there", then Voyager hadda Voyager.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Payndz posted:

They should sure as hell be able to use psychology against others, though - they have the combined knowledge of every race they ever assimilated, so there are bound to be some world-class shrinks in there to chip in if raw force somehow fails.

I always thought it would have been cool to explain FC's Queen as essentially a psychological weapon against Data, who they know (from Picard) wants more than anything else to be human. But nope, somehow she was "always there", then Voyager hadda Voyager.
They rapidly lose the psychological expertise as "there is no efficient purpose to anything other than science, technology, engineering or mathematics in the collective," allowing them to pinball around like a bunch of morons as drone attrition removes skill sets from the collective.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nessus posted:

They rapidly lose the psychological expertise as "there is no efficient purpose to anything other than science, technology, engineering or mathematics in the collective," allowing them to pinball around like a bunch of morons as drone attrition removes skill sets from the collective.

A collective of all STEM lords. Truly a monstrous entity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This guy got lost on his way to the future hockey game and just went with it when they asked him to guard something

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Redshirts be like "Hey, uh, can I get some of that armor?"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If the Borg were actually a collective, you’d think they’d be like... smarter. In general.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

jeeves posted:

If the Borg were actually a collective, you’d think they’d be like... smarter. In general.

have you ever observed the mob mentality? people sometimes demonstrably get dumber in groups

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1372039665667207171

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Canadian Mint has made a fuckton of Star Trek money:

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1372046960597860354

Also CanadaPost has printed a ton of Star Trek stamps too. The current crop is the iconic Captains and villains from each classic Trek series:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Goblin Craft posted:

have you ever observed the mob mentality? people sometimes demonstrably get dumber in groups

No, stupid, wire the brains in parallel, not in series!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I love that Picard’s villain is just himself as a Borg and Archer’s is uh... the lizard guy from Galaxy Quest?

I’m an Enterprise apologist and I rewatched it just last year and I still can’t tell you the actual name of that Xindi guy. Kinda funny how Enterprise never really had another central or recurring villain in the vein of Q, Dukat, or the Borg Queen.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Um, what about Future Guy?!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Angry Salami posted:

Rick Berman?!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love that Picard’s villain is just himself as a Borg and Archer’s is uh... the lizard guy from Galaxy Quest?

I’m an Enterprise apologist and I rewatched it just last year and I still can’t tell you the actual name of that Xindi guy. Kinda funny how Enterprise never really had another central or recurring villain in the vein of Q, Dukat, or the Borg Queen.

Commander Dolim. But that's only because I have a good memory for dumb pointless bullshit.

Angry Salami posted:

Future Guy just gave the gently caress up at the end of Season 2 and left. But yeah, TNG and Enterprise are the hardest ones to pick a real good crystalizing villain for. Locutus is a good choice for TNG because he casts a long shadow over the rest of the series, plus First Contact and Picard. Folks like Q and Gowron weren't really villains in the end, and Sela only shows up for like three episodes and then disappears.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Kurzon posted:

In the TNG episode "Chain of Command", why does Starfleet send an elderly starship captain and his ship doctor to go on a commando mission? Doesn't Starfleet have an equivalent of the Navy SEALs for this sort of job? And just because Picard is familiar with a tech thingy that the Cardassians are using? Surely there must someone else, someone younger, in the fleet who knows about it too.

Late, but the weapon uses some kind of radiation that Picard specifically was an expert in. The Cardassians set it up as a trap for him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also putting Future Guy on the stamp behind Archer would be hilarious because he's just a silhouette voiced by President Shinra, so it would literally look like they just forgot to put a villain on the Enterprise stamp and sent the placeholder to print :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kurzon posted:

In the TNG episode "Chain of Command", why does Starfleet send an elderly starship captain and his ship doctor to go on a commando mission? Doesn't Starfleet have an equivalent of the Navy SEALs for this sort of job? And just because Picard is familiar with a tech thingy that the Cardassians are using? Surely there must someone else, someone younger, in the fleet who knows about it too.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I thought Picard was in his 50's in TNG and humans live over 100 years. But your other points still stand.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Starfleet has officially dedicated spec-ops units, and in general they really respect seniority and don't seem to acknowledge ability slipping with age. So obviously the most important jobs should be done by the most senior of staff.

I don't know if that was a conscious choice or if it was just an extension of the entire film and TV industry where they generally refuse to acknowledge 18-year-old soldiers and prefer to project the image of wars being fought by grizzled old mature men from 30-60 because obviously important jobs like soldiering would be done by older men and not dumb kids who barely understand what's going on.

Picard is described by a Doctor as being in "exceptional physical condition" in that episode where he's basically given a bypass. We only see him do space tennis and target practice once or twice, but it is heavily implied that he can do pretty much any job as well or better than most of the crew; including fighting klingons hand to hand, doing science and piloting the ship.