Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Too hard of course I'd want the easy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I knew it was the place where marble comes from but gently caress if I know what that place was called.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

HookShot posted:

I felt like earthrise was a particularly cruel clue.

The bit about witnessing it by orbiting but not from the surface was a pretty decent tell, because the moon is tidally locked.

The Final Jeopardy clue was brutal tho.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 17, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I should have figured it out from my extensive This Old House watching, but no

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The bit about witnessing it by orbiting but not from the surface was a pretty decent tell, because the moon is tidally locked.
I think it would have been completely fine as a clue if it wasn't in a category that was "starts and ends in 'e'" and had a bunch of stuff about the moon; an eclipse is what most people are automatically going to go to in that situation.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Real nerds should know about the famous Earthrise photo from Apollo 8 :colbert:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

I knew it was the place where marble comes from but gently caress if I know what that place was called.

:same:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It was narrowed down really significantly with "Italian city" that I knew I had no shot when it wasn't any of the big names, hahaha

Feels like they're struggling to find that perfect midpoint lately. Like, last week they had War of the Worlds as a FJ answer for the "Radio History" category. Nobody should miss that.

vvvvv hahaha yeah, what a beef vvvvv

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 17, 2021

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Poque posted:

Nobody should miss that.

Unless you forget what the actual title is and leave off the S.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

It was narrowed down really significantly with "Italian city" that I knew I had no shot when it wasn't any of the big names, hahaha

Feels like they're struggling to find that perfect midpoint lately. Like, last week they had War of the Worlds as a FJ answer for the "Radio History" category. Nobody should miss that.

vvvvv hahaha yeah, what a beef vvvvv

Yeah Mr. Hookshot came up with "Alabaster" and I was like "Yup I can definitely see a place in Italy being called that" and he was like "gently caress" lol.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Maybe just remembering with rose-tinted glasses but feel like sometime a few years ago they lost any sense of FJ difficulty. There are still often good, interesting ones but way too many are either $200 equivalent or like final game of a championship stunt hard.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Yeah Mr. Hookshot came up with "Alabaster" and I was like "Yup I can definitely see a place in Italy being called that" and he was like "gently caress" lol.

Mr. Poque came up with the same thing. I had no guess, I was too lost in all my pre-clue category-based guesses (I thought it was gonna be a double-AAA-feature of Astana, Kazakhstan) even though none of them were Italian.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
My wife was an art major, and she got the final instantly while I was trying to go through all of the Italian cities I could think of and failing to come anywhere near it.

It does always amaze me how often it feels like she's not even paying attention to the show until she suddenly rattles off the answer to an art-related triple stumper without looking up from her phone.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

HookShot posted:

Same. My dad shouted it out of nowhere though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"That place marble comes from" has three A's in it. Legally, they would've had to accept it!

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CPColin posted:

I should have figured it out from my extensive This Old House watching, but no

I got it instantly purely based on this - a 20 minute long segment showing them mining & cutting marble counters in Carrara, I think from the most recent season / the one before.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

wooger posted:

I got it instantly purely based on this - a 20 minute long segment showing them mining & cutting marble counters in Carrara, I think from the most recent season / the one before.

Hell yeah. A great "how it's made" segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CkNzte-tZQ

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Lmao at the Schitt's Creek chyron

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nope, nope. This is not dirty, folks. He did not say "poo poo."

Schitt's Creek. With a 'c'.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I love how that's all the networks' solution to that "problem"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The best part is you just know they wrote that clue specifically so none of the contestants would say Schitt's Creek and they wouldn't have to deal with that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

They should have leaned into it and just bleeped him.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

What the hell was with Morgan getting a correct response without phrasing it as a question? She likely would have lost if they held up one of the most basic rules of Jeopardy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Sean posted:

What the hell was with Morgan getting a correct response without phrasing it as a question? She likely would have lost if they held up one of the most basic rules of Jeopardy.

It's always a warning in single jeopardy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Nothing will ever beat that poor kid getting absolutely owned by misspelling Emancipation Proclamation on Final Jeopardy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nothing will ever beat that poor kid getting absolutely owned by misspelling Emancipation Proclamation on Final Jeopardy.

His parents raised a huge stink, Trebek threatened to quit over it, and you'll notice there hasn't been a Kids Week since then.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Poque posted:

It's always a warning in single jeopardy

Gotcha.

Also she got the answer wrong in spite of that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

zakharov posted:

His parents raised a huge stink, Trebek threatened to quit over it, and you'll notice there hasn't been a Kids Week since then.

I hadn't heard that he threatened to quit. Where was this? or just unsourced scuttlebutt?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

The kid also wouldn't have won since the actual winner scored $66,600.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
"You will be arbitrarily punished based on inconsistent rules" is a good lesson for kids to learn. :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

People who bitch about misspelled Finals being accepted on social media still bring up that kid and how the judges were totally unfair to him. He inserted a syllable in the middle and changed the pronunciation of the word. In no way would that be read correctly. We’re told in the Green Room beforehand that a spelling mistake that can still be read correctly will not be penalized, with the example given of Reykjavik.

I still remember one time some people on the Jeopardy FB page lost their poo poo a few years back when an FJ answer of “What is Byelorus? was accepted from the champ for Belarus. I had to constantly explain that the old spelling of the country’s name was Byelorussia and people still gave me poo poo for it and kept bringing up the “Emancipitation Proclamation” as if the situations were similar.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 19, 2021

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

I hadn't heard that he threatened to quit. Where was this? or just unsourced scuttlebutt?

I swear I read this but I can't find the article.

packetmantis posted:

"You will be arbitrarily punished based on inconsistent rules" is a good lesson for kids to learn. :v:

It's not inconsistent, spelling doesn't count UNLESS it affects pronunciation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GhostStalker posted:

People who bitch about misspelled Finals being accepted on social media still bring up that kid and how the judges were totally unfair to him. He inserted a syllable in the middle and changed the pronunciation of the word. In no way would that be read correctly. We’re told in the Green Room beforehand that a spelling mistake that can still be read correctly will not be penalized, with the example given of Reykjavik.

Barry Gordie :colbert:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GhostStalker posted:

I still remember one time some people on the Jeopardy FB page lost their poo poo a few years back when an FJ answer of “What is Byelorus? was accepted from the champ for Belarus. I had to constantly explain that the old spelling of the country’s name was Byelorussia and people still gave me poo poo for it and kept bringing up the “Emancipitation Proclamation” as if the situations were similar.

I remember a guy losing a final because he missed a syllable in Mediterranean Sea and I think they're both lame because you know both would've said them right if it was a normal clue.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It's not a normal clue, it's Final, where spelling counts to a point. And even regular play has ticky-tack stuff sometimes. Every so often they have an "Invisible Man/The Invisible Man" situation, for example.

JBoard is currently debating whether "Singing in the Rain" should have been ruled wrong (it's "Singin'). What do we think here?

Now if you think they should avoid tricky spellings on Final altogether, I could agree with that.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 19, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wheel of Fortune is insanely strict on pronunciation and it’s led to hilarious choke jobs with tens of thousands of dollars on the line.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

zakharov posted:

It's not a normal clue, it's Final, where spelling counts to a point. And even regular play has ticky-tack stuff sometimes. Every so often they have an "Invisible Man/The Invisible Man" situation, for example.

JBoard is currently debating whether "Singing in the Rain" should have been ruled wrong (it's "Singin'). What do we think here?

Now if you think they should avoid tricky spellings on Final altogether, I could agree with that.

I think Singing in the Rain is incorrect. They also marked someone wrong a few weeks ago (or months, what even is time anymore?) for answering "Gangster's Paradise" to a clue about the Coolio song.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wheel of Fortune is insanely strict on pronunciation and it’s led to hilarious choke jobs with tens of thousands of dollars on the line.

You're correct except for the amount of money involved. This has cost contestants MILLIONS over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9YyCtbMX0

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

EDIT: ^ LOL, I can't believe I caught both of these episodes live.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGELdp1kurA

My go to video for that sort of thing.

Doggles fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You're correct except for the amount of money involved. This has cost contestants MILLIONS over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9YyCtbMX0

hahahah noooooooooooo