Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ken Kutaragi is back! In bar patron form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yczs6JDwjyY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The base recipe is here: https://www.justonecookbook.com/okinawa-soba/ but I didn't have half of that stuff so I did my best to substitute while keeping the spirit lol

Meat was beef stewed in sake, soy sauce, and maple syrup (!) (I don't have black sugar...) whisked with enough water to cover in my instant pot, 25 minutes pressure cooked then on the stove reduced until some sauce clung to the meat.
Soup was chicken broth, a splash of soy sauce and dash of salt. Brought to a boil, tossed in some shrimp, and after a few minutes reduced the heat and stirred in some kondashi powder.
Noodles: I have tons of ramen noodles and nothing else lol. Dreaming of the day I can go to the Asian grocer soon...
Finished with chopped scallions, I don't have pickled red ginger but I sliced up some sushi ginger

The flavor and texture of the meat was really good, and the soup was exactly as Ann described

I really enjoy your food posts!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've just gotten to a party split in sonic chronicles and the toughest decision by far is where to send cream, aka the busted infinite mp battery

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

LawfulWaffle posted:

cruel dungeon thesis please

Let's get the Mystery Dungeon devs on Neon Genesis Evangelion Virtual Rebuild: Cruel Dungeon Thesis

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I really enjoy your food posts!

Same, I mostly bake as opposed to cook, I can cook fine but nothing nearly as pretty or fancy usually.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Barudak posted:

The game introduces teleport stones and connected dungeons and then goes "oh yeah, uh all the stones are in the first ring so if you want to do any dungeon after the first few walk your self back". A late dungeon is multiple dungeons away from the teleport stone and the gimmick is all abilities including passives are disabled. For many character types this turns them into dead weight (literal guide recommendations are "give them a shield and select defend every turn). The dungeon then becomes a slog of just mashing auto and, again, losing any party member is basically a full reset walk all the way back and since none of your abilities like passive aggro don't work just gotta hope!

yesss thank you. I love it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Before this game studios had their own problems, in that it was exactly the same except the slave labor was just an explicit part of the job before they had to start pretending they didn't grind people into dust.

But yeah, this is basically a result of game dev companies becoming an exact mirror of film companies except you don't have a constant line of work. This is why on-disc DLC was a thing for a while, because after a team had finished their work, if you didn't have another game you were working on (which is now way less common due to massive studios also having multiple offices, each relegated to a single project), you'd just have them start DLC before the game was even out because they had the free time. Now you just boot the massive teams you don't need anymore because game companies have figured out the new solution to this problem, which is to not actually have any employees at all and just outsource as much of the work as you can to third-party companies.

This is actually where all labor is moving towards in all fields unless government protection kicks in

Gig economy stuff accelerated it sure but 0 hour contracts in the UK, at will employment in most of the US and other countries learning from it mean you’ll eventually end up with this model just across different periods of time

Maybe I have projects and fire you when the project is over, like game dev or construction. Maybe I pay you hourly and take out hours when business dips a bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm going to start the first company that gets hired by corporations to hire staff from third-party agencies

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Oh, VG has been streaming his Dark Souls 2 playthrough? I've clearly been missing out, based on that clipped part.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh, VG has been streaming his Dark Souls 2 playthrough? I've clearly been missing out, based on that clipped part.

I started on Friday last week, and played another session on sunday and one last night :) Currently at 14 hours through!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
VG start streaming games made before 2008 so I don't have to worry about spoilers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone here have recommendations for a budget (like, not a super-premium crazy OLED) 4K TV? I think it's finally time I make the leap to The Fourth K but I'm also not about to drop $1500 on a TV.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

Anyone here have recommendations for a budget (like, not a super-premium crazy OLED) 4K TV? I think it's finally time I make the leap to The Fourth K but I'm also not about to drop $1500 on a TV.

I have a 4k Samsung that I bought like 4 years ago and it definitely was nowhere near $1500. 4K TVs (on sale) are not that expensive these days.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

I bought one like 3-4 years ago but the entire internet at the time basically said "buy the TCL"

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Buy the TCL

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

The TV I bought four years ago was a 1080p TCL and it’s showing its age a bit, but when I move into a house later this year I’ll be buying the 4K TCL

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I bought the TCL, it's been great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like ringing endorsements for TCL across the board! Then that's where I'll start looking. Thanks everyone :v:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2021/html/bf90b7d319cc90576e55d1e6f0b3997263f3926b.html

Square Enix getting in on the scamNFTs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Dark Alliance looks like poo poo but that’s because I was hoping (more like dreaming) they would actually make something like the old Dark Alliance games and have it be a hack and slasher but it just looked like a faster action souls type game. No thanks.

I just want a hack and slash game like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath, but I don’t think it will ever happen.

Diablo 3 is the closest thing but something about it never grabbed me.

I'm confused, isn't hack n slasher just a shallower "fast dark souls?" It looks like you can just mash your attack buttons at the enemies... what is missing from the hack n slash element?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

VideoGames posted:

Firstly, that clip cracked me up. I had no idea she was so loud behind me as I had headphones on.

That clip is magic lol XD

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ppl act like a TV can't be your monitor but don't console gamers been using TV as monitor for decades??

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you can monitor a monitor, but you can't TV a TV

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Degauss me once, shame on you. Degauss me twice... shame on... can't get, can't get degaussed again!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
You can tune a guitar, but you can't tuna fish

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I took a banana peel out of my room trash this morning because of that thoughtful proverb

bananas are one of the best fruit because you can chew it with just your throat. even when the banana starts to get yellow and nasty you can choke it down so fast your body wont have time to gag it up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Khanstant posted:

Ppl act like a TV can't be your monitor but don't console gamers been using TV as monitor for decades??

There's a number of reasons why they're not ideal monitors even if you can deal with the size, like having to babysit when they power on and off because (afaik) most GPUs don't support HDMI CEC (I think that's the relevant feature).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was hammy-ludditin' before, but what do you mean about babysitting power?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Khanstant posted:

I was hammy-ludditin' before, but what do you mean about babysitting power?

pressing the power button

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

Time flies like an arrow

Fruit flies like a banana

I love these terrible mom jokes :haw:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I've used TVs as monitors before with success, but on a couple of them I had to explicitly label the HDMI input as "PC" instead of "HDMI1" within the firmware to get it to disable all the smoothing and interpolation poo poo that TVs normally do.

As far as babysitting the power, I've never had a TV or monitor that I didn't manually turn on or off. I don't really know why I would want that, since my TV is a conduit to a bunch of different devices, plus the internal apps like Netflix, so I don't know how it would know when I want it off or not. (edit: unless you mean the other way around, but I still don't have my PC control my monitors since I use both inputs to swap between my home PC and work laptop).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Magical Melody: my baby sheep got sick so I woke up and it turned out I hadn't got him healthy in time and he loving died but then it turned out to be a dream, goddam this game got dark :stare:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have been seeing people I know who think bitcoin/crypto etc is stupid getting roped into the idea of NFTs and it is very strange to watch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Magical Melody: I got 50 notes and freed the Harvest Goddess! :toot: There's still 50 more notes to get so I'm gonna keep playing for a bit longer and see how many more I can get before it becomes too much of a chore. I have Lego Indiana Jones up next on my list so I can't get too stuck here!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Same, I mostly bake as opposed to cook, I can cook fine but nothing nearly as pretty or fancy usually.

If you can bake, you can cook. It really all just comes down to flavor profiles more than precision; you could just as easily substitute ponzu or Worcestershire sauce for anything calling for soy and you'd still have a tasty dish. The lack of precision is one of the things I enjoy most about cooking since it means every dish I make is just slightly different than the last time and my family still enjoys it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

yesss thank you. I love it

I should mention Stranger of Sword City also has a permadeath mechanic but its handled just stupidly. Characters can have 1 2 or 3 hearts, determined by their age. If you are downed in battle you lose a heart and are incapacitated and if you have no hearts left thats it, dead forever. By being younger you have more hearts but less stats and being older you have more stats but less hearts.

Problems:

1) The break points are messy. At age 19 and 20 you get 3 hearts and a small stat boost. Ages below 18 get 3 hearts and no stat boost. Why even have that be an option? Similar things are at each bracket, with no reason to be the younger side of a heart tier
2) It takes absolute ages to recover from being downed. If a character is downed and has a heart remaining you go back to the hospital. There they spend time recovering until they can adventure again, but that doesn't give the heart that was lost back. No, that requires a separate, longer stay that gets longer the higher level you are. Even by 1/3rd into the game it was an hour+ of game time to recover a heart during which you can't use that character and they get no XP, by end game no guide would ever tell you to waste time on this mechanic.
3) This is also a really brutal game, so powerleveling is both not as fast as you would hope and also ridiculously risky; a single errant blow to your new party member filling in the slot starts the hospital cycle over anew. Even if you don't it'll still take you significantly longer to level a replacement than just reseting your game and walking back to wherever you were.
4) The stat boost of going 1 heart is, frankly, pretty big. Like we're talking 5+ levels or more worth of bonus stats in game where you will be fighting tooth and nail for each xp level up and one or two level ups greatly impacts your odds of survival.
5) The main character can't perma-die, so giving them more than one heart is 100% pointless. The game does not tell you this until looooooooooong after the tutorial but yes, the optimal player character is 99 years old.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

very little surprises me these days but i am actually somehow surprised that Persona 5 Strikers is not in fact a soccer game

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SeXReX posted:

pressing the power button

Oh... I do that anyway my whole life anyway. heck, even when i did own a tv and had a living room space I would generally ferret up to the TV to press the buttons. the remote is somewhere weird, not even gonna look. need more excuses to get up, not less. anyway my monitor is just four g3 iMacs I've cyberpunked into one crt array

Help Im Alive posted:

I have been seeing people I know who think bitcoin/crypto etc is stupid getting roped into the idea of NFTs and it is very strange to watch

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/03/illegal-content-and-the-blockchain.html

Apparently you can use the blockchain to make people carry around illegal stuff and it's hard to get rid of without forking or whatever goobery they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can use the blockchain for all kinds of dumb questionably legal poo poo and absolutely zero non-questionable good poo poo. But when enough dumb money gets sucked up into it it becomes a black hole that starts to attract marginally smarter money through sheer volume and the allure of getting a piece of it before it all crashes down (again). Your job is to be even smarter than that and stay the gently caress away at all times