Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

That's actually incredible holy poo poo

Like "coveting false idols to own the libs" what the actual gently caress.

They are so far down the rabbit hole that the basic tenets of their religion contradict their everyday practices and rituals.

"If conservatives become convinced that they can not win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. The will reject democracy.”

Seems like it could be just as easily rewritten as:

If evangelists become convinced that their ideology does not conform to Christianity, they will not abandon their ideology. The will reject Christianity.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pope Francis, can you excommunicate these guys?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

BiggerBoat posted:

They have to be extra large, Benjamin J. Grimm style. Because someone once at some point suggested that Trump's hands might be small and that means his dick might be small and nothing about Trump can be small, especially his dick, since he's Big League, bangs chicks and is awesome and the best at everything ever, no take backs.

I'm kidding but, seriously, the artists that love DJT go out of their way to make his hands extra large simply because dear leader got his fee-fees hurt once when someone said they were small. IIRC, he was so petty about it he even brought it up in a debate.

I think the story goes a newspaper or such did an opinion piece that mentioned his small hands. So to show how bigly a man he was he printed out the article. Traced his hand with a sharpy over the print out and mailed it to the author.

Like a normal noncrazy person does.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

I think the story goes a newspaper or such did an opinion piece that mentioned his small hands. So to show how bigly a man he was he printed out the article. Traced his hand with a sharpy over the print out and mailed it to the author.

Like a normal noncrazy person does.

It's worse than that. Every time his hands were in a newspaper or magazine, he'd cut out the picture, circle his hands and write "Not small!" and send it to the writer. He did it for 25 years.

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/10/graydon-carter-donald-trump

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

TulliusCicero posted:

That's actually incredible holy poo poo

Like "coveting false idols to own the libs" what the actual gently caress.

This is how think we view and treat Obama.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
[quote="BiggerBoat" post="513122045"]
This is how think we view and treat Obama.

Meanwhile, the left offers the only actual criticism of the things Obama actually did.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
it was a gold sharpie, too

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

It's worse than that. Every time his hands were in a newspaper or magazine, he'd cut out the picture, circle his hands and write "Not small!" and send it to the writer. He did it for 25 years.

The same Grayden Carter re: 'bad food restaurants' and 'VF Oscar Party is not longer "hot"'? Lolol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The X-man cometh posted:

its fascinating and depressing how loving insecure trump and alot of the chuds are. i mean everyone is insecure on some level even though most arnt toxic about it. but how do these dudes not realize they are only making themselves look pathetic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/dappergander/status/1369378995846971396?s=20
https://twitter.com/dappergander/status/1369382784243036169?s=20

thread

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"We'll kick in God's door and force Him to make us holy warriors" is a really weird place for these "Christians" to take this.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

"We'll kick in God's door and force Him to make us holy warriors" is a really weird place for these "Christians" to take this.

I'm kicking Q in the teeth right now.

So I frequented a community in Tennessee, known as 'The Garden', over the last 3 years. There have been a number of conspiracy theory people and some outright qanon people there, and I've offered stern rebuke and firm resistance. I've done everything I can to teach everyone I meet that Q is malicious.

And I've recieved a lot of resistence from some of the people that've been on the land the longest.

When covid hit, the covid denialism started taking over the land. I pushed back hard. I got run off for it. This was may, last year.

A few weeks ago, Rel started using tiktok, and an 'influencer' came and started making videos there on his channel as well.

The platform found it really creepy. Cult-like.

Rel dropped a video where she mentioned that patrick killed a cat, and she cooked and ate it. I told her after they did that to never, ever ,ever tell the internet. She did.

An Internet Hate Machine formed. They wanted to send CPS. They wanted to call ICE. They were claiming the children (who I love and adore and helped raise) are being abused or neglected.

As someone in exile, I found my way into the dicords and registered on tiktok and started fighting back against the misinformation and correcting it with reciepts.

With the ICE threat, all the well-meaning social justice advocates and true crime afficianados that were watching were aghast, and just melted away - leaving a fascist sockpuppet influence machine starkly visible in contrast. It was working as a claque, driving the uproar.

Then I got on the facebook chat group where all the people on the land had been discussing the whole thing. I argued enough to lure some qanon people to start rambling their nonsense at the SAME TIME the founder was denying it has any presence. Then I invited all the stakeholders I could think of (and a few unrelated people, for dramatic flair) into the chat. And at some point, by a miracle, admin status passed to an unrelated person, so nobody could block or ban or silence anybody else.

I hardly slept for the next 4 days. By the end, I was broken. I thought I could save the land, root out the one or two crypto-fascists and have all be well. I had under-estimated the degree of infiltration. The masks came off.

There's a journalist in the UK reading the chat now. And a vlogger on tiktok. And now people from other intentional communities are reaching out to me telling me how their community is also infiltrated. I hope we can rally troops and kill it now. Imagine if this land was left to fascists for the next 3 years, doing outreach and recruiting vulnurable people...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Well done. You've had a real effect there. Whenever I've argued against Q, it hasn't gone nearly as well.

But what do you mean by the SJWs and true crime people and them melting away? Did they flock to the bad news and start spectating?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

nonathlon posted:

Well done. You've had a real effect there. Whenever I've argued against Q, it hasn't gone nearly as well.

But what do you mean by the SJWs and true crime people and them melting away? Did they flock to the bad news and start spectating?

When Rel - who is a genocide-loving ecofascist - posted to Tiktok that she ate a cat that Patrick killed, the hate machine turned on - and there were a number of tiktokers that led the charge. The 'true crime' tiktokers really latched onto it, suspecting there would be bodies hidden in the woods or some such. SJWs got on board because Rel expresses bigoted views. But then there's Edith.

I think Edith works for Lisa Clapier. Not sure. Maybe Scott Pressler. I embarassed her on her live, she blocked me, and then it was all downhill for her. But yeah, the SJWs and True Crime folk - the actual real humans that aren't sockpuppets - just bailed and quit caring about it as soon as ICE and CPB were called, leaving Edith and her network visible. Then they started slandering rainbow everywhere. Then, when that failed miserably and they completely lost control of the narrative, that troll network went dark, apart from exploiting the robocop to get anyone and everyone using that hashtag just... shut down completely.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's horrible that this is spreading to the most vulnerable people, where it overlaps with communities hit the hardest by covid. It's like how Spanish-language facebook groups were hit with it. Long after all the suburban jet ski dealers in Columbus have forgotten about it, it's still going to be ruining lives.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uglycat posted:

I'm kicking Q in the teeth right now.

So I frequented a community in Tennessee, known as 'The Garden', over the last 3 years. There have been a number of conspiracy theory people and some outright qanon people there, and I've offered stern rebuke and firm resistance. I've done everything I can to teach everyone I meet that Q is malicious.

And I've recieved a lot of resistence from some of the people that've been on the land the longest.

When covid hit, the covid denialism started taking over the land. I pushed back hard. I got run off for it. This was may, last year.

A few weeks ago, Rel started using tiktok, and an 'influencer' came and started making videos there on his channel as well.

The platform found it really creepy. Cult-like.

Rel dropped a video where she mentioned that patrick killed a cat, and she cooked and ate it. I told her after they did that to never, ever ,ever tell the internet. She did.

An Internet Hate Machine formed. They wanted to send CPS. They wanted to call ICE. They were claiming the children (who I love and adore and helped raise) are being abused or neglected.

As someone in exile, I found my way into the dicords and registered on tiktok and started fighting back against the misinformation and correcting it with reciepts.

With the ICE threat, all the well-meaning social justice advocates and true crime afficianados that were watching were aghast, and just melted away - leaving a fascist sockpuppet influence machine starkly visible in contrast. It was working as a claque, driving the uproar.

Then I got on the facebook chat group where all the people on the land had been discussing the whole thing. I argued enough to lure some qanon people to start rambling their nonsense at the SAME TIME the founder was denying it has any presence. Then I invited all the stakeholders I could think of (and a few unrelated people, for dramatic flair) into the chat. And at some point, by a miracle, admin status passed to an unrelated person, so nobody could block or ban or silence anybody else.

I hardly slept for the next 4 days. By the end, I was broken. I thought I could save the land, root out the one or two crypto-fascists and have all be well. I had under-estimated the degree of infiltration. The masks came off.

There's a journalist in the UK reading the chat now. And a vlogger on tiktok. And now people from other intentional communities are reaching out to me telling me how their community is also infiltrated. I hope we can rally troops and kill it now. Imagine if this land was left to fascists for the next 3 years, doing outreach and recruiting vulnurable people...

An "internet hate machine" formed to take down a place full of vile people. gotcha.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It's horrible that this is spreading to the most vulnerable people, where it overlaps with communities hit the hardest by covid. It's like how Spanish-language facebook groups were hit with it. Long after all the suburban jet ski dealers in Columbus have forgotten about it, it's still going to be ruining lives.

No doubt. It's really loving depressing and I've all but given up arguing with people about it. But that just makes them think they're right and makes them double down even more. I don't have the time anymore in my life to hack away at nonsense and idiocy like this but whenever I just give up, the die hards simply assume victory.

I don't know what to do beyond cancelling my FB account and simply ignoring them but even that gets hard to do when groups of people aggressively refuse to wear masks in a gas station when I'm in there with my 1- year old son and so many seem to take pride in doing so.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Uglycat posted:

Rel - who is a genocide-loving ecofascist - posted to Tiktok that she ate a cat that Patrick killed
Yeah I'm gonna need some context here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wait, this thread hasn't gone down this rabbit hole? There's a commune in the mid-west full of the kind of people who do the kinds of things people do at those places and someone pointed a camera at it for clicks and the internet went "what the gently caress?!"

Basically, Uglycat admitted to being part of a cult-y hippy community of, at best, harmless idiots. At best.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wait, this thread hasn't gone down this rabbit hole? There's a commune in the mid-west full of the kind of people who do the kinds of things people do at those places and someone pointed a camera at it for clicks and the internet went "what the gently caress?!"

Basically, Uglycat admitted to being part of a cult-y hippy community of, at best, harmless idiots. At best.

Yeah I’m still gonna need some context here.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I’m still gonna need some context here.

There's just one Vox-style summary article of debatable quality: https://www.distractify.com/p/treeisalive-tiktok-cult

The larger context of these places within that region would take much longer to get into but it is precisely what it appears: Dissatisfied people trying to do good and then "somehow" profoundly hosed up poo poo happens that would not happen but for the light of day.

edit2: sorry this is an intense topic with a lot of things going on and I just had surgery so forgive me if I haven't treated it with the gravity it deserves.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 17, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I don’t know that I’ve ever felt so old as I did after reading that and a follow-up article about a feud between a Lana Del Ray TikTok cult and a hamster TikTok cult.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The Internet does, indeed, make you stupid.

We were warned. We attempted to warn others. But they didn't listen.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

The Internet does, indeed, make you stupid.

We were warned. We attempted to warn others. But they didn't listen.

The problem was posting the warning on the internet.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Captain Monkey posted:

The problem was posting the warning on the internet.

This place is not a place of honour. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
Thanks for trying, Uglycat.

I live in an intentional community, and although it's a very different sort than Ole Grandads like The Farm (we're small, urban, fond of modern medicine, and not particularly open to new members right now), there's still enough of a sense of kinship that it really pains me to hear of those rural ICs falling to the Q cult. Without those hippie communes, my household--my family--probably wouldn't exist. They're the people from whom we learned how to negotiate consensus, how to work out the legal intricacies of property ownership outside of the nuclear dyad, how to deal fairly with people choosing to depart, and so much more. They came before us and hosed up a lot, and wrote about what they'd learned from their gently caress-ups, and that helped to show us the way. Those assholes aren't just sucking in people's parents and grandparents; they're getting our households' spiritual ancestors now as well.

Anyway, thanks for giving it your all.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Since QAnon is just Christianity warmed over, have you seen any ICs become churches?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TremorX posted:

This place is not a place of honour. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

fat fuckin' tangent: I hope I get to see these bonkers "Menacing Earthwork" berms at WIPP when they supposedly go up in 2038.

quote:

Berm
A large earthen berm will edge the surface “footprint” of the underground disposal facility, measuring 2,858 feet x 2,354 feet. The berm’s base is 100 feet wide; it reaches 33 feet high and is sloped at an angle to best minimize the effects of erosion.
Buried in the berm will be specially configured metal objects designed to reflect radar. A total of 128 of these objects placed 294 feet apart around the footprint perimeter will provide a unique radar signature for the berm. Permanent magnets also will be buried to provide a distinctive magnetic signature.

Perimeter monuments
Granite monuments, 25 feet high, will stand along two perimeters at the WIPP site: the boundary of the four-square-mile controlled area, and just inside the berm surrounding the repository’s 120-acre footprint. Each monument will be made of 20 tons of solid materials. The monuments will display engraved messages in seven languages with warnings and information about the buried waste.

Information center
The information center will be a 40-foot x 32-foot x 15-foot high surface structure that sits in the center of the repository footprint. Its granite interior and exterior walls will be engraved with many messages, some in words and some in pictures. It has no roof, in order to provide natural lighting.

Storage rooms
Two rooms will store the same information as the surface information center. Neither room will be visible. One will be covered by the footprint berm, and the other will be buried 20 feet below the surface just outside of the berm. Each will have a two-foot in diameter, plugged access hole in one wall.
The external and internal walls, floor and roof will be solid granite slabs. The room under the berm will be referenced in the information center; the existence of the buried room will not be identified anywhere on site, but it will be documented in archives at other locations.

Buried markers
Small warning markers will be randomly buried two to six feet deep throughout the repository footprint, in the berm, and in the shaft sealing system. These nine-inch-diameter discs will be made of granite, aluminum oxide, and fired clay. Each will carry a warning message in one of seven languages.

Archives
Extensive WIPP records will be stored, controlled, and maintained in many locations around the world. The information will include data important to defining the location, design, content, and hazards associated with the WIPP. The volume of archived material will be so large that it would be impractical to provide adequate space in any of the on-site components.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

fat fuckin' tangent: I hope I get to see these bonkers "Menacing Earthwork" berms at WIPP when they supposedly go up in 2038.

oh

For a second I thought some of these beliefs might be a little weird.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love the idea of cats that change color around radiation and the associated step of seeding all current human cultures with folk songs and practices about how when your cat changes color, you have to leave AND take your cat with you. The last part is so future cultures don’t mistakenly believe that cats cause radiation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g78hZIEqONM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t one of the people who contributed to that project write a long thing all about how bad it would be if future societies were matriarchal and treated men like second-class citizens and abandoned science and math because they blamed men and rationality for the collapse of the previous civilization and the origin of nuclear waste?

I bet these days that guy has a youtube channel or a podcast about the glory of western civilization and video games.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I'm having an interesting moral discussion on a few different private channels, so I thought I'd pop out here and address it in the open.
See, Linda was at the capital insurrection on Jan 06th, calling for Trump to be reinstated as GodEmperor to #savethechildren. Sky was there with her - and he flies an antifascist flag.
And he dmed me back on jan 7th or 8th about it, and they admit it openly in a group chat, and linda's got video she took and people she tagged...
Neither breached the capitol, I doubt there's any evidence any more damning than confirming their presence.
And Linda's *unapologetically* Qanon. #WWG1WGA and all that. Which I happen to know is an arm of the international fascist machine that I am obligated to fight.
So now there's this deep conversation about whether or not the feds know about her - she didn't do anything particularly newsworthy there, besides signal boosting it and spreading mind-poison, and she's not particularly effective with social media, she operates on the outskirts among intentional communities and such.
And no, nobody's called hte feds. Because gently caress the feds. The same international fascist machine often enacts its will through that aparatus. And I ain't a narc. You shouldn't be a narc. Don't call the feds.
Anyhow, that's my public position on the matter.
I don't feel like protecting that information though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they posted anything to social media, the FBI already knew about it the day it was posted. I'm sure there are algorithms that can find stuff without anyone tipping them off.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Big Hubris posted:

Since QAnon is just Christianity warmed over, have you seen any ICs become churches?

I haven't. A hell of a lot of them start out that way, though.

Given that purchasing the land or house is one of the big early hurdles to making an IC work, usually if a group is prone to falling under the sway of some charismatic rear end in a top hat, it's going to be right before the "Now we need a whole lot of money" hump. Strangely enough, charismatic assholes tend to really step up their recruitment drives just before there's a pressing need for a lotta capital. Funny, how that works.

But I'm probably being unfair here. There are plenty of religious communes that don't follow the "some charismatic rear end in a top hat gathers up a lot of attractive young women he wants to gently caress, and a bunch of other idealistic kids with trust funds he can drain" model. I've just seen enough of those to be very, well, cautious about ICs that are also new churches.

Of course, there are plenty of non-new-cult-ish religious communities. Someone I went to high school with but never really knew all that well was living with her husband and kids on a Mormon commune the last time I spoke with her. (The more mainstream version of the LDS, not the polygamous sect.) She seemed really happy with it, and I didn't get any creepy vibes from anything she was saying. And naturally, Catholics and Buddhists and probably plenty of other older religions still have their monastic communities running strong.

Uglycat probably has more experience with spiritual and religious ICs than I do. I'm pretty secular, so tend to find myself communicating more with other similarly-secular groups.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Uglycat posted:

I'm having an interesting moral discussion on a few different private channels, so I thought I'd pop out here and address it in the open.
See, Linda was at the capital insurrection on Jan 06th, calling for Trump to be reinstated as GodEmperor to #savethechildren. Sky was there with her - and he flies an antifascist flag.
And he dmed me back on jan 7th or 8th about it, and they admit it openly in a group chat, and linda's got video she took and people she tagged...
Neither breached the capitol, I doubt there's any evidence any more damning than confirming their presence.
And Linda's *unapologetically* Qanon. #WWG1WGA and all that. Which I happen to know is an arm of the international fascist machine that I am obligated to fight.
So now there's this deep conversation about whether or not the feds know about her - she didn't do anything particularly newsworthy there, besides signal boosting it and spreading mind-poison, and she's not particularly effective with social media, she operates on the outskirts among intentional communities and such.
And no, nobody's called hte feds. Because gently caress the feds. The same international fascist machine often enacts its will through that aparatus. And I ain't a narc. You shouldn't be a narc. Don't call the feds.

In all likelihood y'all were infiltrated ages ago, the question is whether this extra attention will upend everything, cross a community-busting threshold. You probably know the answer. And to what end? She's a nutbar that might have committed a crime. Eh...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uglycat posted:

So "Sky" was Antifa and they were there after all?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Or it could be these people just mash together countercultural labels without understanding what they mean.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Have to say, I did not see that coming.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

BiggerBoat posted:

yes, he was specifically there to validate that narrative

edit: Vice was on the land today, shooting for a documentary. Then @treeisalive did a live from the garden, and I wrecked their poo poo. They'll be talking to mil0 next week. This isn't over.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Uglycat posted:

Are we supposed to know who these people are? I can't follow any of your posts because it seems like there's a shitload of missing exposition.