Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oops i did this without realising i already owned the games

first come first served: 0PJAV-6E56A-4TA22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

theres a sale section up for the "2nd pegases ceremony" where basically nothing is on sale and they have nominated wolcen for "best 1st game" lmao

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

first come first served: 0PJAV-6E56A-4TA22

Took it! Thanks repiv.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Veib posted:

Turns out Wayne Gretzky is a valid answer, who knew

Also "Kevin McCallister" and "Waldo"??

repiv posted:

Wasn't this the thread title at one point? :v:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

EA games coming to game pass tomorrow. Nice.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1372201460197363718

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At last we can all play Anthem, in Year 2 of its 10-Year Plan.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271400/Adios/ this is a very interesting looking 1-2 hour narrative walking simulator that is priced at $18.

i was expecting tons of price/hour ratio complaints but there are zero right now. that probably means its a really drat good hour.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly, with that low a barrier to entry I would give Anthem a try

It's the same reason I might give Fallout 4 a try

Edit: oh right has this thread been visited by the Anthem of Creation yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jalmlrrvEp4

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

beats for junkies posted:

Cool bird.

Strix pointed out Mainframe Defenders last week when it was on sale, and I got it and I'm enjoying it in short bursts. The item/weapon synergies are fun to play around with. I'm only at tier 2, but my team has some cool gear. Mechanic passively heals everything around it and can actively heal as an action. Synapse does bonus damage if it has moves left and an item that gives it an extra move action. Brigandine has an extra shot per burst, and every shot does armor damage (so -4 armor every burst). Viper does a bunch of Corrosion damage each hit - it's not quite enough to one-shot an enemy with corrosion stacks yet, but that's the goal.

It's also got some neat little visual filters (VHS, CRT monitor, and a couple others) and 2 font options. The core gameplay is pretty familiar and basic - you get a move action and 2 action points (both can be improved with gear/upgrades), and can take them in any order (like shooting with 1 ap, moving, then shooting again). Missions are chosen from a list of about 10 at a time, and seem pretty basic so far (destroy specific items, kill x enemies, survive for x rounds), and once you complete the main objective for a mission, you have to clean up any remaining enemies. You can see what rewards you'll get before choosing a mission. The rogue-lite part comes in if you abandon your run (or win, probably) - you get a bunch of extra Matter (upgrade material/currency) for your next team to use. There might be more to it, but like I said, I'm only on tier 2 (not even sure how many tiers there are).

I was always on the win or die plan, but don't runs reward research points? That you can use to unlock a wider variety of loot.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Been playing Children of Morta lately. While I do enjoy the story and the way the gameplay mechanics are wrapped together with the themes (encouraged to level up the whole family, family events happen in the dungeon and back at home, coop actions, etc), I'm really having a rough time with the combat/gameplay. Was wondering what other people's impressions were since I'm surprised it is so universally loved.

Not only can the environments and fights end up being very repetitive, taking place over similar looking areas with a low amount of enemy variety, but the lack of feedback really makes the combat feel so lackluster. There's practically no difference between your character slashing at air and making contact with an enemy, and that not only makes it incredibly unsatisfying to fight (c'mon, I want to hear my giant hammer THUNK into an enemy, not just hear it whooshing around), but also makes it difficult to confirm if you've hit the enemy. Similarly, it can be difficult to tell if you've been hit as well: the enemies barely have telegraphs and you can end up taking a ton of damage in an instant without even realizing you've been hit so hard. I'm not asking for bombastic screenshake and freeze-frames for hits, but jeez, I've love if they put some more sounds and enemy grunts in the game to give it some life and information.

Because of all these issues, it felt like the game pushed me towards playing in a very scaredy-cat way: since there's not enough feedback to play aggressively, I ended up constantly kiting and running around while waiting for cooldowns to spam them down. While it does add a bit of a strategic element to it, and not every hack and slash needs to have you as a whirlwind of death, it does feel very much bad to play for me, like I'm only getting skilled at gaming the enemy AI and fighting in a cheap way just to keep myself alive (classic case of optimizing the fun out of the game).

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is still alright and I enjoy the story events and such, but man, I've almost given up on it a few times from how much the dungeons drag on.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FutureCop posted:

Been playing Children of Morta lately. While I do enjoy the story and the way the gameplay mechanics are wrapped together with the themes (encouraged to level up the whole family, family events happen in the dungeon and back at home, coop actions, etc), I'm really having a rough time with the combat/gameplay. Was wondering what other people's impressions were since I'm surprised it is so universally loved.

Not only can the environments and fights end up being very repetitive, taking place over similar looking areas with a low amount of enemy variety, but the lack of feedback really makes the combat feel so lackluster. There's practically no difference between your character slashing at air and making contact with an enemy, and that not only makes it incredibly unsatisfying to fight (c'mon, I want to hear my giant hammer THUNK into an enemy, not just hear it whooshing around), but also makes it difficult to confirm if you've hit the enemy. Similarly, it can be difficult to tell if you've been hit as well: the enemies barely have telegraphs and you can end up taking a ton of damage in an instant without even realizing you've been hit so hard. I'm not asking for bombastic screenshake and freeze-frames for hits, but jeez, I've love if they put some more sounds and enemy grunts in the game to give it some life and information.

Because of all these issues, it felt like the game pushed me towards playing in a very scaredy-cat way: since there's not enough feedback to play aggressively, I ended up constantly kiting and running around while waiting for cooldowns to spam them down. While it does add a bit of a strategic element to it, and not every hack and slash needs to have you as a whirlwind of death, it does feel very much bad to play for me, like I'm only getting skilled at gaming the enemy AI and fighting in a cheap way just to keep myself alive (classic case of optimizing the fun out of the game).

Don't get me wrong, I think the game is still alright and I enjoy the story events and such, but man, I've almost given up on it a few times from how much the dungeons drag on.

Once you get over the mid-game bump (by getting better, but mostly by leveling up) it becomes pretty easy and most of the end game and achievement hunting was very casual. As a high level character you are almost untouchable.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

FutureCop posted:

The feedback isn't a problem, maybe you've just been expecting something more elaborate. The enemies simply don't get staggered as much depending on which character you're playing as. Because of this, certain characters are clearly better suited for drawn-out encounters (Lucy is the best overall because of her kit). The classes probably feel better when you're playing in co-op, but some are clearly better than others at engaging enemies.

The problem with aggressive playing is that the enemies are actually good at evading you. If you play as Mark and use that whip to draw in enemies and stun them, one of the corrupted ones may just dodge it and hit you. That whip is the slowest move in videogame history - long wind-up and long wind-down.

Some of the Guardian Rages also aren't good for the same reason. Unless you get some invulnerability, there is a pretty good chance you'll just expose yourself more.

Imagine a fighting game without animation cancelling - this is Children of Morta. It's still a pretty game (the pixel art is amazing) and I like it for the storytelling aspect, but the combat is serviceable if you play it in single-player. It's not bad, but also don't expect it to be the next rougelike darling.

Invest in damage and critical hit chance and you'll roll over most of the levels. I've played it on Hard, so I probably had a rougher time with it, but it was fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I play Morta very aggressively, because characters like The Boy really encourage that. I'm not sure where your issues are coming from, but I don't seem to have the same problems when playing that game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FutureCop posted:

Was wondering what other people's impressions were since I'm surprised it is so universally loved.

I didn't think it was universally loved, I thought we all pretty much agreed that it's a beautiful and tightly-themed game that unfortunately isn't all that fun to play. It's not so un-fun that it isn't worth playing to watch the family grow together, but at this point a way better "roguelike where the death loop is part of the story progression" game has come out and is unfortunately even more beautiful and tightly-themed and it also happens to be really fun on a minute-to-minute gameplay level. It's Hades, I'm talking about Hades.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I posted about Vermintide the other day but I just picked up the Engineer class DLC for the Dwarf and have to gush a bit because holy poo poo is it fun mowing down hordes of rats with an actual minigun in that game. The minigun uses the Ability bar as ammo, and you recharge it by cranking the gun up to 5x which makes the bar fill up faster. You can top off the timer by cranking it once to keep that 5x stack going which keeps your bar filling up faster. With the right skills and effective positioning you can decimate hordes and bosses with this class and basically never worry about ammo since the gun doesn't use traditional ammo. We ended the first run with me using the Engineer last night with me having doubled the total damage and kills as the next closest person on my team. It's a glass cannon and you need to keep your head on a swivel but god drat I had a blast.

People gave this DLC bad reviews because they separated the cosmetics into a second DLC pack but, I honestly appreciate them doing it to keep the class itself cheap then you can separately buy the cosmetic pack if I want it but don't care much about it so I probably won't bother. I had to dig into the Engineer reviews to find someone who played it and could talk about actual upsides and downsides of the new class and not just people bitching about paying for DLC. Pretty much all of the Vermintide DLC is rated poorly, and almost all the reviews are complaints about Fatshark charging money for extra content. Some of them are expensive, it's an easier pill to swallow when the stuff is on sale to pay $5 for a map pack with two new maps instead of $10, but I don't think I've ever seen DLC for a game rated as poorly as this one.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Can't wait to see Kentucky Route Zero get the piss beat out of it by Hades for Best International Indie Game in whatever made up video game awards they're shilling on Steam.

Also, Best Game as a Service category, Jesus. GaaS indeed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

explosivo posted:

Pretty much all of the Vermintide DLC is rated poorly, and almost all the reviews are complaints about Fatshark charging money for extra content. Some of them are expensive, it's an easier pill to swallow when the stuff is on sale to pay $5 for a map pack with two new maps instead of $10, but I don't think I've ever seen DLC for a game rated as poorly as this one.

Vermintide fans are loving weird man

It's like ground zero for 6500 hours played, negative review, eight page dissertation on how Fatshark are incompetent moron devs

My experience has been coming back to it multiple times with friends and having fun :shrug:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

victrix posted:

It's like ground zero for 6500 hours played, negative review, eight page dissertation on how Fatshark are incompetent moron devs

My experience has been coming back to it multiple times with friends and having fun :shrug:

Yeah that seems to be the case. I mean $10 for two maps is steep for sure, but just don't loving buy it and wait for a sale instead of buying it so you can bitch about it and tell other people to wait for a sale. Christ.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Some of the Vermintide 2 complaints are valid, to be fair. Almost all of them are design related, weird problems with loot or class skills, enemy design in a very particular instance or things of that nature and the Winds of Magic expansion in particular was not well thought out or put together. But, but but but, literally none of these design complaints matter unless you want to play on the hardest difficulty mode while doing the hardest optional mission objectives and maluses possible, it is entirely possible to play the game for hundreds of hours with friends, get a shitton of fun out of it and never once deal with any of the stuff that even our Vermintide thread here screams about on the regular.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think people review bombing Vermintide DLCs has more to do with Fatshark poisoning the well with community mismanagement.

Mocking players who recorded bugs and brought them to their attention, claiming those bugs didn't exist, and then being surprised to find those same bugs ruining their own dev livestreams of the game. Promoting a streamer who cheated using macros to make playing on the highest difficulty easier. Just being kind of nasty to people on reddit.

Kind of petty stuff but I'm not surprised that people are holding grudges. I saw a lot of it unfold and I'm not really comfortable with giving Fatshark my money, but that's just me.

Orv
May 4, 2011
See that I think is fair but I definitely do not get that vibe a lot of the time when people complain about why Vermintide 2 is bad over 1 and things like that.

It sucks that Fatshark sucks though and makes me significantly less into uh, Darktide was it? Names for video games, the 40K Vermintide one.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Cardiovorax posted:

I play Morta very aggressively, because characters like The Boy really encourage that. I'm not sure where your issues are coming from, but I don't seem to have the same problems when playing that game.

Kevin does rely on building up his attack speed with aggressive play, but the problem is that you usually get hit while doing that. Unless you have some health to expend, this strategy will most likely get you killed rather easily if you don't kill the target right away. Again, I played on Hard, so maybe the game is tuned differently.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Orv posted:

See that I think is fair but I definitely do not get that vibe a lot of the time when people complain about why Vermintide 2 is bad over 1 and things like that.

It sucks that Fatshark sucks though and makes me significantly less into uh, Darktide was it? Names for video games, the 40K Vermintide one.

Yeah, setting aside the devs' behavior, Vermintide 2 is a perfectly fun and decent game in its own right.

I still question the use of a Destiny-style power system though since Destiny 2 is notorious for being very bad about obfuscating how futile the stat treadmill really is. In both cases, the real reason to play is because the moment to moment gameplay works, it's just that the GaaS elements are weak and bring the whole package down.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Awesome! posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271400/Adios/ this is a very interesting looking 1-2 hour narrative walking simulator that is priced at $18.

i was expecting tons of price/hour ratio complaints but there are zero right now. that probably means its a really drat good hour.

It is indeed a drat good hour, it's a great character piece

One touch I particularly liked was the faded dialogue options for things you want to say but can't bring yourself to

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Blattdorf posted:

Kevin does rely on building up his attack speed with aggressive play, but the problem is that you usually get hit while doing that. Unless you have some health to expend, this strategy will most likely get you killed rather easily if you don't kill the target right away. Again, I played on Hard, so maybe the game is tuned differently.
It has been a while since I played so I couldn't tell you how I handled that issue in any detail, but with the right combination of items and runes, I did not experience this to be a major problem. I don't think I was playing on hard mode, though, so I can't say I'm complaining that the game is giving me exactly what I was asking for: the specifically not extra-difficult experience.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

victrix posted:

Sounds like pretty much every MMO.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

it's really weird to me how none of their trailers even remotely reflect the actual games atmosphere. Not this one and not the initial ones. Totally off voice over, totally disconnected cuts and way too much action. It's seldom that the actual game is much different but for the better to the marketing videos.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey Torchlight 3 and Empire of Sin are both getting added to PC gamepass in an hour. Gamepass is the best for playing these bad-to-okay games that I had a passing interest in at one point but never wanted to buy outright.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

victrix posted:

Part of the problem is that once you get good at the game the lower levels aren't as fun anymore, but the poo poo that challenges you forces you into really specific playstyles / builds with a bunch of grind to even get there, and that's compounded by rough netcode

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, setting aside the devs' behavior, Vermintide 2 is a perfectly fun and decent game in its own right.

I still question the use of a Destiny-style power system though since Destiny 2 is notorious for being very bad about obfuscating how futile the stat treadmill really is. In both cases, the real reason to play is because the moment to moment gameplay works, it's just that the GaaS elements are weak and bring the whole package down.
I know you're talking about the power system as a whole, but this reminds me that the thing that struck me most about the power system for items specifically is how seemingly disconnected from all the other systems it feels. Like, there would be functionally no difference if the game started you at power level 300 (the max) versus starting you at the current power 5, since item rarity is determined by character and difficulty level instead, and the item power level is advanced completely independently of your characters' levels. The only thing it seems to exist for is to make you grind more? Except arguably it doesn't do that very well either because leveling up all 5 characters to max takes far longer.

Also this one might be more on me but it also half trivialized the whole crafting system, because I almost didn't engage with it at all until I reached max power on items since as far as I was concerned there was no reason for me to waste crafting mats rerolling items that I'm just going to throw away in an hour or two anyway. This meant that by the time I hit max power, I was sitting on a fairly large stockpile of mats to just boost up my core loadouts all at once.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

haldolium posted:

it's really weird to me how none of their trailers even remotely reflect the actual games atmosphere. Not this one and not the initial ones. Totally off voice over, totally disconnected cuts and way too much action. It's seldom that the actual game is much different but for the better to the marketing videos.

The trailer which said this is the best RPG of all time basically sold me on the game. And it also turned out to be true. I found it to be very consistent with the atmosphere.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Suprise leak for Streum On Studio's (E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy & Space Hulk: Deathwing) next game: Necromunda: Hired Gun. Taken off the Microsoft Store for the XBox, but given Streum On's previous games I'd hope for a PC release.

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/status/1372058509525843971

Microsoft Store Description posted:

Become a Hired Gun. The money’s good, the dog’s loyal, and the gun’s reliable. Embark on an indie fast-paced, violent, and thrilling FPS set in the darkest reaches of Warhammer 40,000’s most infamous hive city.

Pick your contracts. Hunt your targets. Collect the bounty.

Navigate an ocean of crime and corruption to balance the bloody ecosystem of Necromunda as a merciless hired gun. The money’s good, the dog’s loyal, and the gun’s reliable – but can you survive the hunt? Necromunda: Hired Gun is an indie fast-paced, violent, and thrilling FPS set in the darkest reaches of Warhammer 40,000’s most infamous hive city.

For the right price, eliminate the most notorious gangers and mutants. Your armory is a sprawling arsenal. Your body is enhanced with a dozen customizable augments to run on walls and leap over chasms. Your cyber-mastiff will sniff out and kill enemies for you, while your grappling hook allows quick, agile traversal of the massive environments.

- An indie fast-paced FPS in the Warhammer 40,000 universe
- Upgrade and fight alongside your loyal cyber-mastiff
- Endless weapon and augment customisation
- Upgrade, advance, and level up as you collect bounties

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I really hope it's better than Deathwing.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orv posted:

God I really hope it's better than Deathwing.

Warhammer games are very cursed

Orv
May 4, 2011

victrix posted:

Warhammer games are very cursed

There are more good ones than there are genuinely bad ones, I think. It's just that great ones are few and far between and "just okay" ones abound.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Most recent Warhammer games have been on the 'decent but unremarkable' spectrum, so they're doing a lot better than most licensed titles. Every so often you then get something like the Dawn of War series, which is legitimately good.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 18, 2021

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Cardiovorax posted:

Most recent Warhammer games have been on the 'decent but remarkable' spectrum, so they're doing a lot better than most licensed titles. Every so often you then get something like the Dawn of War series, which is legitimately good.
Speaking of, did Dawn of War 3 ever become worth playing?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not really, no.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not terrible, but it's the least remarkable of DoW games in every sense. I didn't play it for more than three or four missions. Just not really much to keep your attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

Oh hey Torchlight 3 and Empire of Sin are both getting added to PC gamepass in an hour. Gamepass is the best for playing these bad-to-okay games that I had a passing interest in at one point but never wanted to buy outright.

Nice thanks for the heads up! I'm gonna check out TL3 with the controller.