Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

A Terminator RPG has been going for a few days now. It is *only* licensed for Terminator 1 and extrapolations thereof. That certainly helps them avoid the garbage of the series, but not being able to use T2 hurts.

I've never been a big fan of Nightfall's work, so I don't know where to stand on this one yet. Love the movie, but its a hard setting to make playable, particularly with only the original movie to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loving lol over the stretch goal about making a stat block for the one background terminator who shot a dog in a brief scene

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

like there's a decent amount of potential for the setting but it's not very reassuring that they'll do anything interesting with it when the corebook campaign is an adaptation of the movie and three of the stretch goals are just making a mini campaign out of a comic book

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Only the first film and spin-off comics feels a little like some star fleet battles license poo poo.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Only the first film and spin-off comics feels a little like some star fleet battles license poo poo.

From time to time I wonder if the Alien RPG not covering Aliens and now apparently the Terminator RPG not having T2 is because Leading Edge Games still has the licenses.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Reminds me of the GW games where they were coming up with background for the Ringwraiths from LOTR, only one of them has a proper name but as it wasn't mentioned in the material they had the rights for, they weren't technically allowed to use it. It was only after they suggested they might give him a funny name (perhaps Bob or something) that they were begrudgingly allowed to use the correct name for him.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Marmaduke! posted:

Reminds me of the GW games where they were coming up with background for the Ringwraiths from LOTR, only one of them has a proper name but as it wasn't mentioned in the material they had the rights for, they weren't technically allowed to use it. It was only after they suggested they might give him a funny name (perhaps Bob or something) that they were begrudgingly allowed to use the correct name for him.

IIRC the Decipher CCG also gave them "names," but they were literally just "Ringwraith #3" and so forth in Elvish.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

"what's the elvish word for 'friend'" the hobbit asks. the elf nods and tattoos "bob" on his arm

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

"what's the elvish word for 'friend'" the hobbit asks. the elf nods and tattoos "bob" on his arm

Speak, Bob, and Enter

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The old ICE Middle-earth RPG and CCG filled in quite a bit of space outside the typical NW region of the main books, including giving all the Ring-wraiths backstories and real names, some of which were pretty interesting. I liked "The Nazgûl's Citadel" a lot because it had a ton of stuff about how whichever wraith ruled it did stuff other than cackling evilly and chasing hobbits. The whole line was filled with ridiculous overboard minutiae that only a very 80's successful fantasy RPG could deliver, but they also did an astounding amount of work fleshing out the world so that it didn't feel like there was literally nothing between all the major locations mentioned in the books.

I seem to recall in TOR there's "big bad Witch-King" and then "the others" and mostly what you get are the combat stats. I love that game but its NPC write-ups frequently leave a lot to be desired.

The Estate really let Pete Fenlon and pals go nuts, right up until the movies were imminent and transmedia empire beckoned.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EverettLO posted:

A Terminator RPG has been going for a few days now. It is *only* licensed for Terminator 1 and extrapolations thereof. That certainly helps them avoid the garbage of the series, but not being able to use T2 hurts.

I've never been a big fan of Nightfall's work, so I don't know where to stand on this one yet. Love the movie, but its a hard setting to make playable, particularly with only the original movie to work with.

After the extremely mixed reaction I had to SLA Industries I would honestly recommend giving it a miss, especially if they use some variant of the very clunky system from SLA.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think you need a much less...focused...movie than The Terminator to make for an interesting RPG license off a single movie. I guess you might be able to get a light RPG designed for one-shots out of it, but even there you'd have a pretty repetitive experience, I think.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

That Old Tree posted:

The old ICE Middle-earth RPG and CCG filled in quite a bit of space outside the typical NW region of the main books, including giving all the Ring-wraiths backstories and real names, some of which were pretty interesting. I liked "The Nazgûl's Citadel" a lot because it had a ton of stuff about how whichever wraith ruled it did stuff other than cackling evilly and chasing hobbits. The whole line was filled with ridiculous overboard minutiae that only a very 80's successful fantasy RPG could deliver, but they also did an astounding amount of work fleshing out the world so that it didn't feel like there was literally nothing between all the major locations mentioned in the books.

For all that MERP had some unfortunate tendencies in grafting stock D&D-isms like wizards and clerics onto Middle-earth, yeah, it really did. I particularly love the extensive geology and climatology section that explains exactly why Angmar was such a desolate frozen hellhole even before the Witch-king showed up. (I'm not being sarcastic, for all that it's a lot drier and more earth science-focused than Tolkien would have written it, it really did make me feel the terrain the way reading LotR does.)

That Old Tree posted:

I seem to recall in TOR there's "big bad Witch-King" and then "the others" and mostly what you get are the combat stats. I love that game but its NPC write-ups frequently leave a lot to be desired.

The Witch-king is written up in Rivendell, and three others are written up in Darkening of Mirkwood--and they all have at least slightly different approaches and stats, but no, they're not terribly in-depth. Which makes sense, IMO--in the time and place when TOR is set, three of them are just chilling in Dol Guldur extending a shadow of fear and wickedness into Mirkwood, while the Witch-king and the other 5 are slowly building up their forces in Minas Morgul, whereas MERP was set at the height of Angmar's power when most of the Nine were abroad and basically pretending that they were going to be this Age's big bad while Sauron regathered his strength.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I really wish I still had all my old ICE Middle-Earth stuff. The book they put out for Isengard had full floor plans for the entire tower.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Funzo posted:

I really wish I still had all my old ICE Middle-Earth stuff. The book they put out for Isengard had full floor plans for the entire tower.

They made a whole-rear end book about Dol Guldur with whole-rear end floor plans for the entire thing.

Yet even MERP went a lot more general on Moria because loving lol at the scale of that poo poo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ICE's MERP stuff is great, just great (especially the maps). There is a lot of love for the setting and all its details in there, and the Tolkien estate was unusually generous letting them use material from the Silmarilion and Unfinished Tales (so you have game stats and writeups for the two blue wizards Alatar and Pallando) You just have to understand going in that the rules are there support D&D style adventuring in Middle Earth.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The giant 2'x3' ICE MERP world map is one of my gaming white whales. I'd love to have one of those to frame and jam onto my wall.

I mean, I know it's all made up, and yet....

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm not hugely familiar with every game in this bundle, but it seems like a great effort that's well worth contributing for, Bone Marshes was, iirc, p tight
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalgrimoire/rpg-printing-spree

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm not hugely familiar with every game in this bundle, but it seems like a great effort that's well worth contributing for, Bone Marshes was, iirc, p tight
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalgrimoire/rpg-printing-spree

Oh that looks cool. Thanks for bringing it up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dwarf74 posted:

The giant 2'x3' ICE MERP world map is one of my gaming white whales. I'd love to have one of those to frame and jam onto my wall.

I knew someone who had the maps from each of the supplements up in his game room. About 12 books made it take up a lot more than 2x3.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I knew someone who had the maps from each of the supplements up in his game room. About 12 books made it take up a lot more than 2x3.
oh those, too - love those a ton - but I meant this beast:
(trying not to embed a huge image)

https://i.imgur.com/LqFv5.jpg

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

It looks like there's one up on eBay at this very moment (https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERP-Middle-Earth-Roleplaying-Map-1982-Tolkien-Fantasy-DnD-Rolemaster/274721332495)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, thanks!

I don't want to pay a hundred bucks for it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Funzo posted:

Wow they really do hate illegal immigration

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

bowmore posted:

One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to cage them all and asylum deny them
In the land of MAGA where the shadows lie

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LatwPIAT posted:

From time to time I wonder if the Alien RPG not covering Aliens and now apparently the Terminator RPG not having T2 is because Leading Edge Games still has the licenses.

There's a Colonial Marines Operation Manual in the works for the Alien RPG, I don't know how that works with the movie rights exactly, like a lot of this stuff it's probably a huge clusterfuck.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

bowmore posted:

ELENDIL (CLAP!) WAS (CLAP!) AN ILLEGAL (CLAP!) IMMIGRANT (CLAP!)

...We may have drifted just a touch from talking about TTRPG Kickstarters.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Last day reminder for Tiny Epic Dungeons + Root Marauders

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Given the Brexit unknowns I think I am begrudgingly going to have to pass on a bunch of Kickstarters, including Root. Missing out on hirelings and fancy markers is a blow but I can always pick things up in retail later and not have to deal with shipping and a potential $20 tax for my countries poor choices.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Death Valley, a new $10 Buttonshy game is up. Looks fun!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The_Doctor posted:

Death Valley, a new $10 Buttonshy game is up. Looks fun!

Pretty much any Buttonshy game that has a solo mode is an immediate back for me. They've all been solid, relatively cheap to back, and I love just being able to toss one in my pocket.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StarkRavingMad posted:

Pretty much any Buttonshy game that has a solo mode is an immediate back for me. They've all been solid, relatively cheap to back, and I love just being able to toss one in my pocket.

I’ve never seen Buttonshy before that I recall, but these look great. Backed for their collection!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, Sprawlopolis lives in my backpack all the time. That’s such a good one.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve never seen Buttonshy before that I recall, but these look great. Backed for their collection!

Tussie Mussie remains one of my favorite card games; I recommend it if you want to pick up something else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, Sprawlopolis lives in my backpack all the time. That’s such a good one.

For a game that's like 18 cards without the expansions, it's a surprisingly good little brain burner.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StarkRavingMad posted:

For a game that's like 18 cards without the expansions, it's a surprisingly good little brain burner.
The fact that the back of every card has a different goal and you end up selecting three at the start makes the game completely different every time. Brilliant design.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Got the physical copy of Jenna Moran's Glitch. I can't speak to how good it is as an RPG or sequel to Nobilis since I haven't finished reading it, but it's absolutely a worthy successor to Nobilis 2e in how beautiful a book it is. Just fantastically good looking.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After the campaign ended on the 8th of October 2016, I have just received notice today that my copy of Siege of the Citadel has been assigned a UPS Tracking number. I now have only one project that hasn't been fulfilled and that's Up Front!, which never will be.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

That Old Tree posted:

The Estate really let Pete Fenlon and pals go nuts, right up until the movies were imminent and transmedia empire beckoned.

Same thing happened with Star Wars and West End Games, the makers of the first Star Wars rpg. They re the ones that made up the names for a lot of the alien races in the movies like Rodians and Twi'leks. They re also the ones that made the Empire a human supremacist movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After the campaign ended on the 8th of October 2016, I have just received notice today that my copy of Siege of the Citadel has been assigned a UPS Tracking number. I now have only one project that hasn't been fulfilled and that's Up Front!, which never will be.

Still waiting on my Siege of the Citadel tracking number. I got that Dark Trooper pledge and opted to just have everything sent at once. What a smart decision that was. :v: