Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I want to be able to put something flat in my pocket instead of a giant cylinder.

Oh man, I loving hear you. A few years back I went snowboarding for the first time in forever and like a goddamn genius I brought a bottle of powerade and kept it in my inside pocket specifically designed to hold stuff of that size/shape. Very first run I ate poo poo and fell on my chest and boom, bottle to the ribs. The rest of the day went alright but my ribs were sore for like a week and half after that.

Maybe look into getting some kind of insulated camelback type of thing? They don't have to go on your back necessarily, I'm sure they make them in sling type configurations as well. Might be a little more prone to popping than something like a flask but you'd be able to hold more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Yeah I don't think you'll find an insulated flat flask. The best I could find is one of those 8 oz skinny bottles. It's probably easier to just use a carabiner.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Is there such a thing as an insulated flask? I'd love to take a small thermos with me while I go skiing to hold a hot drink but I want to be able to put something flat in my pocket instead of a giant cylinder.
I am having trouble finding anything like this but it must exist... Right?
It doesn't even have to work THAT well, just hold heat for a few hours.

Nalgene makes flat rectangular bottles. Maybe that’ll hold heat a bit better than metal?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Is there such a thing as an insulated flask? I'd love to take a small thermos with me while I go skiing to hold a hot drink but I want to be able to put something flat in my pocket instead of a giant cylinder.
I am having trouble finding anything like this but it must exist... Right?
It doesn't even have to work THAT well, just hold heat for a few hours.

If you’re skiing with booze, wear a backpack. Then you can bring all manner of insulated bottles.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Thanks all. I'm going to tinker with the nalgene flask and see what that gets me. I did use a backpack on my last outing, but it made sitting in a chair lift tricky and quite annoying in general. Maybe there's no perfect solution.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Fanny packs are awesome, if a little small. Bonus for being to swing them from rear to front when you want to sit down.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good USB-C SSD? A couple of months in and I'm kinda regretting getting a platter drive on my new Mac (though screwwwww paying Apple's internal SSD upgrade prices lmao), and I think moving my main install to an SSD would be a significant improvement even if it's external. USB-C's pretty drat fast anyway but I don't know a drat thing about who makes decent ones these days,

I got this enclosure for nvme SSDs, and it's been pretty good so far.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Thanks all. I'm going to tinker with the nalgene flask and see what that gets me. I did use a backpack on my last outing, but it made sitting in a chair lift tricky and quite annoying in general. Maybe there's no perfect solution.

Take one arm out of the backpack strap when you’re about to get on the chair and swing it around into your lap.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It is about to get very very cold where I live, and I need a portable electric heater.

We have some feral outdoor cats that hang around our house that take shelter in our garage whenever the weather gets bad. Normally when the outside temperature dips below freezing, I have a little Vornado heater fan I turn on for them to keep them from freezing. That works fine for a few hours overnight, but we’re about to go below freezing for 4+ straight days, including multiple periods of single-digit temps. That kind of cold is very unusual in my neck of the woods, and I don’t think a dinky little Vornado heater is gonna cut it for that.

I need something bigger, but I don’t have much cash; my budget for this is only about $70 or $80 at most, and preferably less than $50.

Tractor Supply Co has several small-space electric heaters on sale right now that look like they fit the bill for what I need. At the moment I’m leaning toward this one, but there’s several others.

Do y’all know anything about heaters?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

That seems like an excellent way to burn your house down, to be completely honest. Maybe look into an electric radiator, although it will be more expensive.

Either way, make sure to get one with auto-shutoff on overheat/tip over if it’s not something you are going to be in the same room while it operates.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Feb 11, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

1redflag posted:

That seems like an excellent way to burn your house down, to be completely honest. Maybe look into an electric radiator, although it will be more expensive.

Either way, make sure to get one with auto-shutoff on overheat/tip over if it’s not something you are going to be in the same room while it operates.

All of the heaters I linked have overheat protection and auto-tip-over shutoff.

For that matter, so does my little Vornado.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

It is about to get very very cold where I live, and I need a portable electric heater.

We have some feral outdoor cats that hang around our house that take shelter in our garage whenever the weather gets bad. Normally when the outside temperature dips below freezing, I have a little Vornado heater fan I turn on for them to keep them from freezing. That works fine for a few hours overnight, but we’re about to go below freezing for 4+ straight days, including multiple periods of single-digit temps. That kind of cold is very unusual in my neck of the woods, and I don’t think a dinky little Vornado heater is gonna cut it for that.

I need something bigger, but I don’t have much cash; my budget for this is only about $70 or $80 at most, and preferably less than $50.

Tractor Supply Co has several small-space electric heaters on sale right now that look like they fit the bill for what I need. At the moment I’m leaning toward this one, but there’s several others.

Do y’all know anything about heaters?

I asked the same question a few posts back, didn't get a response so I just went an purchased this.

I've only had it a few days and I'm currently using it to warm up my kid's room. I have a thermometer in the room and it went to 59 to 66 in about an 1.5-2 hours on it's medium setting. Now, it's strange because I'm using to the room being 70, but it's been so cold that the jump from 59 to 66 was a very significant jump and the room felt hot. I don't know how much heat this thing is supposed to crank out, but I can feel the warmness about a foot above the fins.

Another note, I thought that the room was wayyy too warm to be only 66, but another thermometer I brought it was reading the same temperature.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

We have some feral outdoor cats that hang around our house that take shelter in our garage whenever the weather gets bad.

I’d be more inclined to use those heated pet mats for the cats instead (or in addition to the vornado heater). Then the cats can lay directly on the heat source and keep their little toe beans warm.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Joburg posted:

I’d be more inclined to use those heated pet mats for the cats instead (or in addition to the vornado heater). Then the cats can lay directly on the heat source and keep their little toe beans warm.

Do you have a particular heated mat you recommend? I got one at Petco awhile ago but it didn’t put out hardly any heat at all.

I do have a couple of heating pads, but there’s not enough surface area between them for everyone.

EDIT: I would need to get a pretty big mat, and it’d need to put out some actual heat (none of that “thermostatic” bullshit that doesn’t heat up at all). Otherwise I think a forced-air heater like the ones I linked would heat a bigger area for less money.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Looking up cat shelters online should give ideas for structures insulated with varying combos of straw and styrofoam that'll keep a cat's body heat around it. Come to the fostering thread in PI and other people experienced with outdoor cats can chime in as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Looking up cat shelters online should give ideas for structures insulated with varying combos of straw and styrofoam that'll keep a cat's body heat around it. Come to the fostering thread in PI and other people experienced with outdoor cats can chime in as well.

I went ahead and made a post in that thread, thanks.

I sure hope I get a reply in enough time to go out and buy something though. That thread moves pretty slow and I don’t have a whole lot of time left to come up with something.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

Do you have a particular heated mat you recommend? I got one at Petco awhile ago but it didn’t put out hardly any heat at all.

Apparently I forgot to recheck this thread after I posted. I don’t have any actual experience with those pet mats. I have a heating pad that I use for my pets since they all sleep on the couch :rolleyes:

What did you end up doing for your feral kitties?

My chickens got super cold and my roosters got some frostbite damage to their combs, despite the little panel heater I got them. I added an oil filled radiant heaters and it warmed the coop up A LOT.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a portable screen larger than my phone to watch stuff on on trips. It doesn't have to have bells or whistles, just be able to stream content.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I want a portable screen larger than my phone to watch stuff on on trips. It doesn't have to have bells or whistles, just be able to stream content.

Amazon Fire tablets. That's pretty much exactly what they're designed for. They're not great for anything else. Put the Google Play Store on and you'll have access to anything streaming and they can take an SD card if you won't be streaming.

Preferably with an HD screen. HD8 is $65 right now, but for another $20 they have the HD8+ which has more ram (which was my biggest problem with mine) and better charging.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I need a file cabinet, something ideally with two file drawers and a small stuff drawer on top.

This one looks ok, I like that it has wheels:

Lorell LLR17427 SOHO Mobile Cabinet, Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004GZBHZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1TKC6PGX13Z1YEMH8084

This one is the right idea but the reviews make it sound really flimsy:

https://www.target.com/p/hirsh-3-drawer-filing-cabinet-steel-off-white/-/A-14796066

I’ve seen some that are made so you can turn the files sideways and fit legal size folders. That’s pretty cool but seems unusual.

So, anyone know a cabinet along these lines that they love?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Snowy posted:

I need a file cabinet, something ideally with two file drawers and a small stuff drawer on top.

This one looks ok, I like that it has wheels:

Lorell LLR17427 SOHO Mobile Cabinet, Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004GZBHZM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1TKC6PGX13Z1YEMH8084

This one is the right idea but the reviews make it sound really flimsy:

https://www.target.com/p/hirsh-3-drawer-filing-cabinet-steel-off-white/-/A-14796066

I’ve seen some that are made so you can turn the files sideways and fit legal size folders. That’s pretty cool but seems unusual.

So, anyone know a cabinet along these lines that they love?

Look for office surplus and craigslist, these type of under desk cabinets are pretty ubiquitous and can be had fairly cheap. Companies like Allsteel make these for offices and they’re skookum as frig.

Can anyone recommend me a floor standing keyboard tray? My desk is too low to put a slide out keyboard tray so I’ve been working with my keyboard in my lap and I’d like something a bit better for typing. I was looking at something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NTPZ7NM/

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Can anyone suggest one of those desk toppers that you can use to raise your monitor up to standing height? Needs to be able to hold a loving heavy monitor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the thing that like, guys from Sears and furniture movers use to easily move furniture, the harness or whatever that lets two people easily lift super heavy stuff? And where can I get one, I've got a like 200 pound fridge to move up a flight of stairs and that might be the safest method to do so with.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lift straps

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Dolly-Moving-Straps-Efficiently/dp/B00022749Q

https://www.amazon.com/Forearm-Forklift-Appliances-Mattresses-L74995CN/dp/B008ASBLJI

You can use the shoulder ones or some that wrap around your arms. I use to use the forearm ones when I worked delivering furniture and they are great

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's some poo poo for my kitchen that will dull the pain inside. I got a Wusthof paring knife so that suffocated the agony of existence for several minutes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pick posted:

What's some poo poo for my kitchen that will dull the pain inside. I got a Wusthof paring knife so that suffocated the agony of existence for several minutes.

Well while it won't dull the pain of existing, a good whetstone will sharpen your new paring knife.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

All-silicone mini-spoonulas. I want to buy like 8 of them in all different colors

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Pick posted:

I keep my drugs in the living room but the kitchen is also fine

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone got a good pair of kitchen shears they like?

I want something all metal (drop forged? Is that what I want? I'm not versed in metallurgy).

Just sick of even reportedly good ones that break because the metal "blade" part of the scissors only go like 1/2" deep into the plastic handle.

I need something that can stand up to spatchcocking a chicken and cut through those back ribs like butter.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Get a full metal set. They make commercial ones that are only like 30 bucks and they can cut through loving anything.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a new entertainment center, and for some reason I’m having a lot of trouble looking anywhere besides Wayfair. Please help me expand my options, if not for specific pieces then at least tell me some places to look OTHER THAN loving Wayfair.

Here’s what I’m looking for:
• Needs to accomodate a TV 55” or bigger (maaaaaaaaaaybe 65” in case I ever get a bigger one)
• Needs to be no more than 124” wide (preferably 120” or less) and ~22” deep (preferably ~20” or less)
• MUST have a hutch, preferably with lighting
• MUST have side cabinets, preferably with windowed doors and preferably with lighting (the doors are almost a requirement, the lighting not so much)
• MUST have bottom cabinets, preferably with windowed doors
• I STRONGLY — almost militantly — prefer traditional design over modern (almost all modern furniture is fuckugly and pretentious dont @ me :colbert:)
• Budget isn’t nailed down yet, but let’s say $5K or $6K max

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new entertainment center, and for some reason I’m having a lot of trouble looking anywhere besides Wayfair. Please help me expand my options, if not for specific pieces then at least tell me some places to look OTHER THAN loving Wayfair.

• Needs to accomodate a TV 55” or bigger (maaaaaaaaaaybe 65” in case I ever get a bigger one)
• Needs to be no more than 124” wide (preferably 120” or less) and ~22” deep (preferably ~20” or less)
• MUST have side cabinets, preferably with windowed doors and preferably with lighting (the doors are almost a requirement, the lighting not so much)
• I STRONGLY — almost militantly — prefer traditional design over modern (almost all modern furniture is fuckugly and pretentious dont @ me :colbert:)

https://www.amishfurniturefactory.com/amish-tv-stands-centers/

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

That is a huge budget, and with your wants you’d be so much better off finding a local furniture maker and have them design and make it to your specs.

Call a woodworking shop and ask if they can recommend a furniture maker (or if they do it themselves). Or even just local Facebook groups (get references).

That’s the only way you’re going to get exactly what you want.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

I. M. Gei posted:

DWR, maybe the Line series

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

St_Ides posted:

That is a huge budget, and with your wants you’d be so much better off finding a local furniture maker and have them design and make it to your specs.

Call a woodworking shop and ask if they can recommend a furniture maker (or if they do it themselves). Or even just local Facebook groups (get references).

I like this answer.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I was thinking about order a small, inexpensive projector that I could bust out for the occasional movie night. I've been eyeing the Xiaomi Wanbo T2 Max and wondered if any goons had experience with it or had a recommendation for something similar. It will probably see use about twice a month so I don't really want to spend more than a couple hundred dollars. I know there's a million no name ones on Amazon so I'm not sure if any of them are worth a drat. Any help would be appreciated!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

St_Ides posted:

My actual budget is almost definitely gonna end up being less than $5K. I set “$5K or $6K max” because I’m still feeling out my options and don’t have a dollar amount set in stone yet.

I’ll look into custom furniture makers though. Actually I’d really love to build something myself, but a project as big as an entertainment center takes experience and tools that I don’t have yet.

I like these.

PRADA SLUT posted:

DWR, maybe the Line series

I really hope that by “DWR” you don’t mean Design Within Reach, which is the polar loving opposite of what I want/need and goes against everything I believe in. I know you’re a minimalism shill but I loving HATE that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I'm looking for a water bottle that I can freeze; not that has a freezable insert, but one I can fill halfway with water, toss in the freezer, and pull out later so I have a big block of ice in the bottom. Old school nalgenes used to work for this - I tried a new one and the bottom burst. Some bottled water works ok, but most bulge annoyingly on the bottom and only last 2 or 3 freeze cycles.

Alternatively is there a brand of bottled water that's specifically designed to be freezable? Only filled 80% or whatever, appropriate material and thickness, etc.