Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If the US has less than 10 new cases every day, I'm going to Disney World.

If the US has less than 10 new cases every day, I'm gonna pay a hooker to spit in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Has there been much solid research done as to how the vaccines are going to be effected by the variants? Here in Toronto health experts are bracing for a third wave and say that projections show the new variants will overtake the original strain before long. I’m just getting this mounting sense of dread that the last year of lockdowns and social distancing will have been for nothing. Not that I can get a vaccine anytime soon anyway.

We don't even know yet how long immunity will last following vaccination for the first strain, let alone how the variants will change that picture.

AZ is planning to have a tweaked vaccine available by the end of the year, but we might still be playing catch up if new variants pop up and quickly become the dominant strain. The hope is that our current vaccines will still be good enough, even against new strains, to prevent severe disease.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Number two is definitely worse, hot drat. Fever of 101 and aches/chills instead of just general unpleasantness.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Number two is definitely worse, hot drat. Fever of 101 and aches/chills instead of just general unpleasantness.

More fibre, less spicy food.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Oops, ignore this

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Atopian posted:

Oops, ignore this

No no, please do go on

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

How long after vaccination is everyone going to continue being cautious?

At the moment Australia's target is that anyone who wants the vaccine will have received their first dose by the end of October.

That means the end of January 2022 will be the target date by which everyone should have received their second dose and I can't see myself being willing to drop precautions before then.

I'll be masking up for months yet but I'm already seeing a large percentage of people down here in Melbourne packing into restaurants and pubs and walking around supermarkets unmasked, so I expect that most people here will be ignoring the pandemic by May or June. If we have another outbreak close to the end of the year I suspect that a lot of people will ignore that as well because they'll be convinced we've reached "herd immunity", and I can absolutely guarantee that the Murdoch press will be pushing that angle as well.

(Also I have zero confidence that the federal government has the competence to stick to their announced schedule)

theflyingexecutive posted:

Semiweekly post that if you live/work in NYC and are eligible, I can book an appt for you or PM you my guidebook for how I do it. I'm up to a dozen successful appointments booked, and usually within a day or two.

You're awesome, thanks for your work :)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'll be masking up for months yet but I'm already seeing a large percentage of people down here in Melbourne packing into restaurants and pubs and walking around supermarkets unmasked, so I expect that most people here will be ignoring the pandemic by May or June.

I wear a mask when you're legally required to, on public transport and in large stores etc (and you're a dick if you deliberately choose not to, rather than just forgetting or whatever), and if I developed symptoms I'd get tested and self-isolate immediately, but other than that I'm back to living life as normal. I have no problem "packing" into a restaurant or pub and have even stopped flinching when people cough and sneeze. Surely that's the entire purpose of an elimination policy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freebooter posted:

I wear a mask when you're legally required to, on public transport and in large stores etc (and you're a dick if you deliberately choose not to, rather than just forgetting or whatever), and if I developed symptoms I'd get tested and self-isolate immediately, but other than that I'm back to living life as normal. I have no problem "packing" into a restaurant or pub and have even stopped flinching when people cough and sneeze.

You don't think it's weird that they're still demanding that people wear masks in supermarkets and other shops but are making an exception for restaurants and pubs, places where people are packed in even tighter?

freebooter posted:

Surely that's the entire purpose of an elimination policy?

I don't think we're at the point yet where we can freely assume that the virus is completely eliminated from Australia because we could still have an outbreak at any moment, the same as we've had several times already. There's never a 0% chance that we're not in any danger. The actual probability is no doubt super low, I can understand if people are happy to accept it and pivot back into cautiousness if there's an announcement of an outbreak.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Has there been much solid research done as to how the vaccines are going to be effected by the variants? Here in Toronto health experts are bracing for a third wave and say that projections show the new variants will overtake the original strain before long. I’m just getting this mounting sense of dread that the last year of lockdowns and social distancing will have been for nothing. Not that I can get a vaccine anytime soon anyway.

They know beyond doubt that the current vaccines work on the British (kent) variant, it’s so unbelievably prevalent here that none of the others have had a chance to take hold - AZ say that if the Brazil version took over they may have to change the vaccine which they are geared up and ready to do if needed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

You don't think it's weird that they're still demanding that people wear masks in supermarkets and other shops but are making an exception for restaurants and pubs, places where people are packed in even tighter?

Not really, because the obvious reason for that is that in restaurants and pubs, you're eating and drinking, ergo cannot wear a mask. In supermarkets and shops that's not the case. If a jurisdiction is at a point where there's enough community transmission that mask wearing will make any difference, pubs and restaurants absolutely shouldn't be open at all, but that's not us.

I'd also be fine with restaurants/shops/public transit not requiring masks - like they don't in 6 (or 7?) of 8 states plus NZ - because there's no difference between any of us now except that Victoria has institutional PTSD from the second wave. I'd also be fine with everywhere in the country mimicking Victoria and requiring masks in those locations out of an abundance of caution in case there's a quarantine breach, because it's a pretty low effort prophylactic. But either way it's, like, the eighth line of defence and I'm not particularly concerned about it.

I've been to precisely one restaurant (Movida in Lorne) where the front of house guy asked us to mask up immediately, then led us to our table three metres away, where we de-masked and sat there eating and drinking and talking, surrounded by other people doing the same, for an hour and a half. Compared to then 10 seconds we more masks from the door to the table. I have no problem doing what he said because, hey, their restaurant and their choice... but c'mon, man, that's just theatre. It's farcical.

I don't think we're at the point yet where we can freely assume that the virus is completely eliminated from Australia because we could still have an outbreak at any moment, the same as we've had several times already. There's never a 0% chance that we're not in any danger. The actual probability is no doubt super low, I can understand if people are happy to accept it and pivot back into cautiousness if there's an announcement of an outbreak.

For sure, I would pivot back into cautiousness if there was another hotel breach. But I feel way less stressed about it than last year because we've had, like, six (?) over the summer all around the country, and every single one got stomped on quick. Testing levels remain good. I'd only start changing my behaviour if it was a Sydney Christmas level outbreak.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is going to be a point for many many people, especially those who have been self isolating where it’s actual therapy they need to get on with life, and no doubt some people will wear masks in public forever, which is fine, way less regular colds and flus if everyone did that.

It’s going to be like a collective Mal de Debarquement syndrome where you get off a boat and your brain is utterly convinced that everything is sill rocking.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
https://mobile.twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1372286164011511810

Good

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

vs

Coronavirus

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

If the US has less than 10 new cases every day, I'm gonna pay a hooker to spit in my mouth.

Hot

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AnnoyBot posted:

Turns out I still have a Stanford health login from my old insurance. After checking all the boxes boxes that might arguably be true if you squint hard enough, it had no appointments available in the bay area.

check at the rear end crack of dawn

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

and have even stopped flinching when people cough and sneeze

I will say that after the last year of constantly having to throw my weight up the ladder at my employers to force them to uphold their end of the deal under virginia law to protect myself and their customers, it's really a such a huge relief to be (half-)vaccinated. Our business is picking up again for the season and they still have no interest in upholding any covid measures they deem unenforceable, only wearing masks performatively when they're in the front of the shop with a customer. They're both seniors with comorbidities and neither is even vaccinated- I think they've both signed up but they did it so late that I managed to get in line in front of them. Anyway, I know I'm not totally out of the woods with full vaccination coming up, but it feels good to be able to go to work and just roll my eyes at some of their lazy, incompetent bullshit without my blood pressure spiking every time one of them coughs. Time to update my fuckin resume.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

The Novavax studies are probably the best evidence. 96% effective against the wuhan strain, about 85% effective against UK strain (which is expected to be the dominant strain in the US) and about 50% against the SA strain. They and other vaccine manufacturers are working on booster shots to target the variants. Supposedly the novavax booster can put 5 different variant vaccines in one shot but the Pfizer and Moderna ones can't fit that many.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

greazeball posted:

what's up group Never buddy?

there's a handy calculator that will tell you when you can get your shots here! https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/impfterminrechner-schweiz#reihenfolge-der-impfungen it says my second shot should arrive in june or july. then we ran my wife's numbers, she's in group E and the date they gave was next week so lmao fml nobody has any idea and I'm gonna be stuck here for another summer without seeing my family back home

Yeah I'm definitely in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory. Although the middle of March was when we were supposed to get a p. big batch of Moderno/Pfizer iirc.

bollig fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 18, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s one for you smarter-than-me-about-covid goons:

I got Pfizer #1 yesterday afternoon and it’s kicking the crap out of me. My arm feels like it’s gonna fall off, woke up with a headache, chills and a temperature. From 3am to now I would have assumed I had the flu.

If I’m reacting this badly to the vaccine, could I infer that I probably haven’t been asymptomatic with the virus already?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That seems intuitively correct but I'm not really sure. The way I'd like to think about it is if you have a strong reaction to the vaccine then you would have had a rough time with the actual virus but that's really just a way to feel better about feeling bad.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

My COVID pod all got signed on to get vaccinated today and tomorrow. I'm so happy I could cry. Shout out to Walgreens.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rolo posted:

If I’m reacting this badly to the vaccine, could I infer that I probably haven’t been asymptomatic with the virus already?

There's no way to know, people have theories but it's pure guesswork.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
All of Europe is in panic after a few people who got the AZ vaccine got blood clots and some died - so now my jab will be in may-june instead of possibly next month.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Rolo posted:

I got Pfizer #1 yesterday afternoon and it’s kicking the crap out of me. My arm feels like it’s gonna fall off, woke up with a headache, chills and a temperature. From 3am to now I would have assumed I had the flu.

Nothing conclusive, but I've read some articles recently that suggest that people who were previously infected may have more side effects from dose one of the vaccine.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Rolo posted:

Hang in there friend

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Good to see this thread is still a conspiratorial shithole

Should have been closed or highly moderated like...last year

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Halloween Liker posted:

I'd love to know more about this rousing opinion

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

Nothing conclusive, but I've read some articles recently that suggest that people who were previously infected may have more side effects from dose one of the vaccine.

Had the virus, got rear end kicked by dose number one. Number two is worse right now but that’s pretty standard.

The good news is that people who had the virus before end up with a ton more antibodies, per those same preliminary studies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd love to know more about this rousing opinion

Well you see two months ago the US was having a 9/11 worth of covid deaths every day but now they're only having a 9/11 every 2.5 days so covid is over OPEN 'ER UP

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Rolo posted:

I thought it means you have a stronger immune system so that assumption doesn't jell with that. Younger people get hit harder supposedly. I got Moderna 3 days ago and I still feel crappy.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Halloween Liker posted:

:chloe:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Someone do the funeral dancers meme with that.

I got my first Pfizer vaccine yesterday and so far I only have mild arm pain at the shot site. Doing good so far. I feel no other side effects.

:thumbsup:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rolo posted:

Yikes. I hope you feel better. From what I've read in this thread it only lasts like a day or two and then just goes away. "Like a miracle." Who knows though, you could have lingering effects for a few days. But hey, it's better than covid!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It felt like I had covid again only it lasted 5 days and I could feel it getting better as my arm stopped being sore instead of dragging on and on for weeks and oh god will these waves of dizziness never end.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I thought it means you have a stronger immune system so that assumption doesn't jell with that. Younger people get hit harder supposedly. I got Moderna 3 days ago and I still feel crappy.

I got Pfizer on Tuesday and I haven't really felt much of a reaction. Arm was slightly sore on Wednesday but not very noticeable unless I was doing a range of motion with it. Didn't really notice anything else. I think some people just have more active immune systems but from what I understand the vaccine is supposed to provide the same level of protection whether you have a noticeable reaction or not. I forget why that is but I recall reading about it. Maybe I'm pulling this out of my rear end though.

Kinda curious how I'll feel after the second shot. That's the one that people seem to react more strongly to from what I understand.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Please laugh at me: I got an appointment in CA for the pfizer vaccine tomorrow. Last night our kids were suddenly snot monsters so we're keeping them home from daycare for a few days and getting them covid tested and I cancelled my appointment tomorrow.

Here lies redreader, he never scored a vaccine.

Our county's positive test results are at 1.4% so I'm pretty sure it's just a cold (it seems like a cold so far, sniffs and coughs due to post nasal drip) but I don't want to spread covid in the vaccine line. I'm unbelievably frustrated and feel like a loving fool! it was PFIZER!!!! gently caress!!!

naem
May 29, 2011

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

My mom finally got her first shot. That was a relief and I'm surprised the whole thing was fast, considering we live in Mexico and in my state's capital. One hour doing a line*, health authorities doing a few questions, pocking her arm and waiting to see if she had any reaction.

So far she says she feels fine, it only hurt her arm a bit but now it's better. Now to wait if she doesn't get a fever later on.

*In my state they are going in an alphabetical order. You can come in a car or on foot. Which is better, I mean where my grandma is living they are doing the "whoever wants it can come and get it who cares lol" and it's a total chaos. Neither my grandma or my aunts have been able to get their shots :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

learnincurve posted:

If you want some good news, since the schools went back here last week tests have gone up 42.2%. Out of 8,921,866 people tested only around 500 positive results were from schools via rapid testing and they got caught before they walked in the door.
what's the false negative rate on those tests?