Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Add another one to the pike of hosed up by school due to being a bit smart. In my case I made the mistake of getting really high GCSE Maths grade (the last time I'd ever do really well in an exam), so some lady I'd never met cajoled me into taking Further Maths (two A levels) which was just too much for me and ruined my first year of A levels before I was allowed to drop it. I'd like to think that the lady that made me take it was informed that this one student ended up with much worse A levels as a direct result of her interference but I'm sure the reality is she got a pat on the back for getting another student in the Mechanics class (seriously, if I'd wanted to study physics, I'd have studied physics).

Managed to go to an okay uni, somehow got a distinction MSc and doctorate at a top uni, along with massive imposter syndrome (except it's not actually imagined in my case). Doc Fruitbat's post rings very true to me as well. Good old Time Crisis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The main problem with schools imo is that teaching is loving hard, very few people are any good at it & most of those people are just gonna go use the same skills in consultancy or w/e where they can earn some real money without being consistently shat on all the time. We need a fundamental culture shift in how we as a society regard teaching as a profession, imo. Frankly, it seems pretty incongruous to me that "the wellbeing and future of our children" is treated with such contempt.

Re giftedness: I went to a grammar school where I was obviously a lot brighter than the rest of the kids, they pretty much just left me to it on the assumption that I'd ace all the exams by myself, then got surprised when I went off the rails wrt drugs & fighting & that. I went from being a really enthusiastic learner doing all kinds of extracurricular stuff for fun at primary school, to compulsory daily after school detention for not doing any work, within a single half term (then they eventually expelled me lol). Like, someone's definitely hosed up in that situation, and it wasn't the actual child imo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Carrier posted:

Hmm, they do seem confident. I still find it strange that of the 25 million people vaccinated in the UK as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any evidence of these side effects. Possibly a batch issue? I personally find the point people make that the pill has a higher risk of blood clots than the AZ vaccine also quite compelling but I guess some will disagree.

The british media especially have done a great job making sure everyone just talks about blot clots, when that was never the issue. It's an extremely rare combination of clotting, bleeding and very low platelets at the same time. The attending physician in charge of treating them said he had never seen anything like it, and he had only heard of it in relation to very specific medications that were not involved here.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
drat I guess everyone will have to use the really expensive American vaccines now. How fortunate for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Surprise T Rex posted:

Memorising SOHCAHTOA
I still remember that it was the big volcano that sent a shock wave around the world twice, right?

Private Speech posted:

I went to a "vicelete gymnazium" (basically a grammar school)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGLzm-Gy0dQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

And you call this school a "gymnasium", despite the fact that the students are obviously clothed?

:yikes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This just reminded me that someone allowed Toby Young to attempt to set up a school.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

The british media especially have done a great job making sure everyone just talks about blot clots, when that was never the issue. It's an extremely rare combination of clotting, bleeding and very low platelets at the same time. The attending physician in charge of treating them said he had never seen anything like it, and he had only heard of it in relation to very specific medications that were not involved here.

You'd think it being an unusual and rare type would make it far more likely to be noticeable out of ~12m doses administered though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hey it's a thing!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(school)

But yes it's a bit dumb, especially since the original Greek meaning was the one used in English.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1372150722612006917?s=19

It's really weird to me that it's public knowledge that Mandelson was close to Jeffrey Epstien well after it came out that he was a rapist and sex trafficker and its just ignored. It's like having a séance with Jimmy Savile and only asking about his opinion on music today.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Out of the millions and millions of people who have been vaccinated, a couple of people have had a side effect. Oh well never mind, stick it on the warning label.

Once again, I beg of you UKMT, stop with the “reasonable concerns” horseshit using one twitter post or one article as PROOF! That the AZ vaccine the thread clearly has some sort of weird thing against is bad, when you know vulnerable goons ITT reading your posts are getting the AZ vaccine - they will still get it but your nonsense just made them needlessly anxious and that’s just cruel. There are vaccine threads that you could be “debating” this with.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I had a preop assessment ten days after my AZ vaccine and the nurse who took my blood was like "wow this is really thick blood, you need to drink more water", should I be worried

(I'm not especially worried, I really am poo poo at drinking enough)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This just reminded me that someone allowed Toby Young to attempt to set up a school.

Oh yeah I remember that, disgusting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX56xKAwM88

Convex fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 18, 2021

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I buggered up uni and college because I spent all school just knowing enough to get by without doing anything.

Yup, very rude awakening second year of uni failing all my exams because actually learning something didn't mean just turning up to lessons and doing minimum on coursework.

Whoops!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

I had a preop assessment ten days after my AZ vaccine and the nurse who took my blood was like "wow this is really thick blood, you need to drink more water", should I be worried

The nurse just wanted your echoes to level up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

The nurse just wanted your echoes to level up.

I feel like this post might be a reference to a game I haven't played and would like to know which one.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Maugrim posted:

I feel like this post might be a reference to a game I haven't played and would like to know which one.

:bloodborne:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Bloodborne :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thick Coldblood sounds like it should be pronounced in a broad Yorkshire accent and be a type of sausage.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobstar posted:

Gifted children don't need nurturing into super-geniuses, they need to be taught how to learn even though they seem to absorb everything easily. And maybe be checked for ADHD even though they're not "naughty" or "thick".

I coasted through school and uni because I could, but I am pleased about that because the alternative was failing. I don't really see how I could have been taught anything, when the whole issue was I couldn't bear to study. This was before the days of ADD diagnoses and maybe drugs would have helped me, but I think less school would have been better than more.

We inflict boredom on our children, and have their reaction alter their whole lives.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I definitely wasn't considered a genius, but I was smart enough to coast along with good grades at school, and even in uni I was champion at hitting the library last day and hammering out a solid 2:1 essay on anything you care to mention.
I did my entire dissertation the night before it was due and got a 2:1 lol

The word count was 8000 though which is probably significantly shorter than most are meant to be

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Thick Coldblood sounds like it should be pronounced in a broad Yorkshire accent and be a type of sausage.

There is a character in the game who is extremely northern and it's great. She just turns up and torrks all norrthen a' yuh and it makes me happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVLcAKVxDYc

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
boffeh t'vampiyah sleigheurgh

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Maugrim posted:

thick blood is better than thin blood, atleast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently her voice actress was on grange hill lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Boatswain

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Maugrim posted:

Are you a woman between 20 and 45? That's the affected demographic. There's probably going to be an announcement today that, I suspect, is going to boil down to an amendment of the known side effects and that if you received it you should watch for sudden headaches in the week following the shot.

Drinking more is definitely a more pressing issue though. What helped me, a mostly sedentary computer toucher, was to move the teapot to my desk. That way it's hard to ignore and I get constantly reminded that there's tea to be had.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Migraines are a side effect anyway.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Oh dear me posted:

We inflict boredom on our children, and have their reaction alter their whole lives.

Preparing them for their lifetime of servitude.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
My partner had the vaccine yesterday and had a fever over night so couldn't go to work this morning (she's a teacher). The local authority have then contacted track and trace and told her she has to get a test despite it obviously being a side effect of the vaccine.

My question now is will her test come back positive given she's presumably got anti-bodies and are we going to have to self isolate despite her blatantly not having covid?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Noxville posted:

Preparing them for their lifetime of servitude.

Which is then not tasked, mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1372520762045829124?s=21

lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't that the proper practice anyway in case you catch it coincidentally with your having the vaccine?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

So was pidcock trying to go for the seat or is pedo mandelson just making poo poo up

Cos lol if its a battle between the labour left and right over who gets their loser candidates who ate poo poo last election in to lose this election too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

haha, and no lessons will be learned

at least the democrats do this because they make lots of money from donors putting up their pet candidates

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just got vaccinated!

Nice, easy experience: I was in and out within 10 minutes. All very brisk and efficient: they were obviously set up to get through as many people as possible.

If I get any blood clots, I'll let the thread know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pidcock is on the NEC afaik so I don't even know if she could.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that the proper practice anyway in case you catch it coincidentally with your having the vaccine?

The advice from the NHS is not to have a test if you have a fever and no other symptoms within 48 hours of having the AZ vaccine.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got the jab today but don't feel any side effects so far. My mom called last night and asked if I was gonna take it and I said yes. my parents watch too much news and care too much about these things. I said basically what I heard here, millions have gotten it so it's probably no big deal.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I pretty much coasted through school, doing very well at the subjects I enjoyed, and less so at the ones I didn't. What I never learned was how to work at things I didn't enjoy, which as it turns out is a pretty useful life skill. I did better the further I went at university as the subjects became more interesting and I could narrow the field down to learning about things I enjoyed, and it was increasingly about understanding things rather than rote learning. I have positioned myself to so work that I mostly enjoy, and when it comes to the elements I don't enjoy I usually have other people depending on me to deliver it, which provides sufficient incentive for me to eventually get round to it. (If it was purely self-motivated, forget it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Surprise T Rex posted:

my school reports were always "if he could apply himself more" and "does well in things that interest him"

These words on a school report should automatically trigger an assessment for ADHD.

Camrath posted:

When I was a young teen I wanted to be a gunsmith; I’ve mentioned before how I made a musket for my GCSE cdt design-and-make, and still feel if I’d been allowed to continue along that path I would have probably ended up much happier (and probably much richer) in adult life.

A quite odd guy I know managed to lose his job at DSTL, and I think also his security clearance, when it emerged he was making guns disguised as pens in his shed in his spare time.