Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh hey, looks like the existing vaccines rofflestomp the Kent, SA, and Brazil variants according to the Oxford uni so they don’t need to make any changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

learnincurve posted:

Oh hey, looks like the existing vaccines rofflestomp the Kent, SA, and Brazil variants according to the Oxford uni so they don’t need to make any changes.

Any source on this? Would be interesting to read.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We need to stop putting pressure on teenagers and forcing them into doing the GCSE, A level, Uni route and setting it in stone at year 9. Local Unis are super flexible with points so if it’s what they want let the kid do the practical college course in a the subject they enjoy while they figure out what they want to do next, and if they need a 4th uni year so be it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Olpainless posted:

Any source on this? Would be interesting to read.

Sky news but my link is via Apple news I’m afraid https://apple.news/A7b4dsEIBRduLhl36txvDvQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My partner had the vaccine yesterday and had a fever over night so couldn't go to work this morning (she's a teacher). The local authority have then contacted track and trace and told her she has to get a test despite it obviously being a side effect of the vaccine.

My question now is will her test come back positive given she's presumably got anti-bodies and are we going to have to self isolate despite her blatantly not having covid?

No

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

learnincurve posted:

The problem I have now is convincing her that her school are being dicks, she could literally stop going and she has done all she needs to but there is no way they will enter her in April if she drops out. Making her stay till July when the year 11s and 13s leave in April is taking the piss and I won’t have it.

As a silly foreign bugger, I have no idea what any of this means. It seems A-levels are this weird anglo-liberal concept where each kid is allowed to gently caress up their life by taking too few or too many of them over some random number of years, for some reason, rather than being shackled to some kind of overall default structure that makes sense :confuoot:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

learnincurve posted:

We need to stop putting pressure on teenagers and forcing them into doing the GCSE, A level, Uni route and setting it in stone at year 9. Local Unis are super flexible with points so if it’s what they want let the kid do the practical college course in a the subject they enjoy while they figure out what they want to do next, and if they need a 4th uni year so be it.

for an example of how flexible they are, I had one GCSE at c or above so I did a level 1 course for art and design, a level 2 in games design and a level 3 in humanities before doing an access course in humanities and getting into uni (to do journalism)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

The whole pressure on kids to supposedly choose a career (and requisite qualifications path) when they're 16/17 years old should stop. Unless a kid has a real vocation to something, they should study what they enjoy especially now they have to go into years of debt to pay for it.

At least in the UK, for now, you can go to uni etc at any age when you feel ready if that's what you want to do. (I know that is a lot harder in other countries where pressures are different.)

I'm 60 and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Not kidding either. Sometimes I want to be the 'brilliant scientist' so often mentioned in the old science fiction books I used to read, sometimes I want to be The Woman In Charge (of everything) (that was a nickname I got given in one place I worked), other times I want to retreat to a convent and live a life of (gentle) manual labour during the day with communal eating and lots of time to read and think.

But seriously, when I was 18 {{doodly doo doodly doo}} the internet wasn't a thing, careers that exist now hadn't been thought of except on Star Trek, careers that existed then no longer exist. During my adult life, CDs and VHS/Betamax came and went, vinyl went (though there is a little come back now), my first internet connection 1997 was 33kbps, google didn't exist, and my monthly internet bill including local phone access was over £50pm.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

jaete posted:

As a silly foreign bugger, I have no idea what any of this means. It seems A-levels are this weird anglo-liberal concept where each kid is allowed to gently caress up their life by taking too few or too many of them over some random number of years, for some reason, rather than being shackled to some kind of overall default structure that makes sense :confuoot:

It's basically a way of narrowing down what you're studying. I think kids still do on average 10 GCSEs in school (11-16), some are mandatory and some are optional, then 3/4 A levels at college/sixth form (16-18). Each A level you do gives you a number of UCAS points and each university course has a threshold of points (so like an English A level might be worth 100 points and you need 400 points to get into a university English course). In a few circumstances you might have to do an A level in x to get into the university course for it, but not for all of them.

There are ways to do more GCSEs and A-levels (I took an A-level a year early so ended up with 5) if you're smart enough/your school has a good relationship with the local college.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Reading people getting the jabs today has made my own vaxxx-injection site go all funny feeling :ohdear:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobstar posted:

Gifted children don't need nurturing into super-geniuses, they need to be taught how to learn even though they seem to absorb everything easily. And maybe be checked for ADHD even though they're not "naughty" or "thick".

Signed, me

Also, Apple Music plus vinyl is the top combo

'Gifted' children don't exist, just kids who might be naturally good at absorbing information and have a stable enough home life and supportive enough parents to engage with their schoolwork consistently. The whole idea is toxic as gently caress, has no bearing on actual intellectual ability (which is not at all the same thing as rote learning!), and led to polarised schools where perfectly capable pupils were written off while entirely unremarkable ones were fawned over and told they were somehow superior to their classmates. There's a reason the Weetmans of the world so often seem to give off 'I was a top set kid and this is still an integral part of their personality at 30-odd'. It's no surprise these people are also often extremely dumb yet somehow think they're great intellectual heavyweights. It's the exact same demographic who earnestly put 'Ravenclaw' in their Twitter bios and christ it's the most pathetic thing.

Given the real (economic) determinants of success at school, a cynic might call this yet another aspect of British class warfare serving neuter working class resistance by breeding alienation and anti-intellectualism and making them internalise their supposed inferiority! And it has worked! Anyone who went to a UK comp in the early 00s, and probably for a good while before, will remember the endemic anti-intellectualism, especially amongst the boys, and sometimes even implicitly coming from the teachers. Enjoying academic stuff was effete and soft and pretentious, something for the effete and soft and pretentious posh kids at the private school, who we joked about and mocked but always felt inferior to once the bluster stopped. To like books, or whatever, was seen in a sense as a class betrayal. It's one of the most effective strategies of mental domination imaginable. Turn a good and powerful tool into an indicator of otherness and in doing so deprive the working class of a valuable weapon while encouraging them to fight amongst themselves. The loss of genuine proletarian intellectualism and literature is easy to overlook but has had devastating consequences, and this poo poo has directly contributed to it.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 18, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That doesn't really mirror my experience of being at a comp in the late 90s/early 2000s at all to be honest. There was no particular stigma associated with being smart, and if you wanted to spend your lunchtime in the library no-one cared.

You'd get bullied for being a weirdo but there was no notable correlation between weirdness and brains.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One thing I’ve hammered into her brain in a desperate attempt not to gently caress to my daughter’s life is that this house isn’t MY house, it’s her house jointly, and she has as much right to it as I do. If she wants to move someone in then fine that will bring our costs down - leaving a 3 bed council house at £87 pw rent which will only have the two of us in it by then in this day and age is madness.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

peanut- posted:

That doesn't really mirror my experience of being at a comp in the late 90s/early 2000s at all to be honest. There was no particular stigma associated with being smart, and if you wanted to spend your lunchtime in the library no-one cared.

You'd get bullied for being a weirdo but there was no notable correlation between weirdness and brains.

That's interesting. Whereabouts in the country were you? Perhaps just saying 'all comps' is an oversimplification, but it was absolutely 100% a thing in my post-industrial northeast england school, at least until A-Level when most of the less academically interested would leave to go find jobs or do vocational courses (venn diagram of working class background/16-year old school leavers is almost a circle of course). I would imagine it's proportional to the deprivation of the local area.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

learnincurve posted:

I havent looked at all the details in the preprint yet but this isnt really accurate. There is a reduced antibody response against the P.1 variant in the tests they do but its nowhere near as much as the initial findings of a 6-fold reduction. Its saying that the vaccine will likely be less efective, especially against the South African and Brazillian variants but it will still have a protectiv effect.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

ThomasPaine posted:

'Gifted' children don't exist

gently caress off with this poo poo. Unless you want to argue that learning disabilities also don't exist?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Aidan_702 posted:

Reading people getting the jabs today has made my own vaxxx-injection site go all funny feeling :ohdear:

this is expected, the more people get injected the more powerful the global network of hivemind brain control nanobots becomes

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo. Unless you want to argue that learning disabilities also don't exist?

Sometimes it feels like people are just looking for a fight. Where did I even remotely mention learning disabilities, which obviously exist?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

Sometimes it feels like people are just looking for a fight. Where did I even remotely mention learning disabilities, which obviously exist?

This thread has a sizable population of people looking for fights. Like has been said several times recently, it's an incredibly unfriendly place.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

TheRat posted:

This thread has a sizable population of people looking for fights. Like has been said several times recently, it's an incredibly unfriendly place.

I think the last few years have made us all tightly wound and uncharitable so I try not to take it too personally, because I know I'm guilty of the same sometimes. I do feel like I could post 'water is wet' in this thread and have someone jump down my throat because of some perceived -ism some days

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 18, 2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

That's interesting. Whereabouts in the country were you? Perhaps just saying 'all comps' is an oversimplification, but it was absolutely 100% a thing in my post-industrial northeast england school, at least until A-Level when most of the less academically interested would leave to go find jobs or do vocational courses (venn diagram of working class background/16-year old school leavers is almost a circle of course). I would imagine it's proportional to the deprivation of the local area.

South-east. Not a wealthy school but definitely not overtly deprived either so yeah, I'm sure that helped.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
We need to legalise weed so this thread can chill the hell out

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

ThomasPaine posted:

So there is such a thing as a below average capacity for learning, but no such thing as an above average capacity?

And yes, if you tell people that the problem their child is suffering with doesn't exist then they will tell you to gently caress off. Not sure why that's surprising tbh.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

And yes, if you tell people that the problem their child is suffering with doesn't exist then they will tell you to gently caress off. Not sure why that's surprising tbh.

It's surprising because nobody said that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Suffering of the Gifted Child

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/ginsolvesitall/status/1372474650035372034?s=20

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Wolfsbane posted:

So there is such a thing as a below average capacity for learning, but no such thing as an above average capacity?

I don't agree with TP that gifted children don't exist necessarily, but I also don't see how you could take what TP said and read it as 'learning disabilities don't exist'. Chill.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

'Gifted' children don't exist, just kids who might be naturally good at absorbing information and have a stable enough home life and supportive enough parents to engage with their schoolwork consistently. The whole idea is toxic as gently caress, has no bearing on actual intellectual ability (which is not at all the same thing as rote learning!), and led to polarised schools where perfectly capable pupils were written off while entirely unremarkable ones were fawned over and told they were somehow superior to their classmates. There's a reason the Weetmans of the world so often seem to give off 'I was a top set kid and this is still an integral part of their personality at 30-odd'. It's no surprise these people are also often extremely dumb yet somehow think they're great intellectual heavyweights. It's the exact same demographic who earnestly put 'Ravenclaw' in their Twitter bios and christ it's the most pathetic thing.

Given the real (economic) determinants of success at school, a cynic might call this yet another aspect of British class warfare serving neuter working class resistance by breeding alienation and anti-intellectualism and making them internalise their supposed inferiority! And it has worked! Anyone who went to a UK comp in the early 00s, and probably for a good while before, will remember the endemic anti-intellectualism, especially amongst the boys, and sometimes even implicitly coming from the teachers. Enjoying academic stuff was effete and soft and pretentious, something for the effete and soft and pretentious posh kids at the private school, who we joked about and mocked but always felt inferior to once the bluster stopped. To like books, or whatever, was seen in a sense as a class betrayal. It's one of the most effective strategies of mental domination imaginable. Turn a good and powerful tool into an indicator of otherness and in doing so deprive the working class of a valuable weapon while encouraging them to fight amongst themselves. The loss of genuine proletarian intellectualism and literature is easy to overlook but has had devastating consequences, and this poo poo has directly contributed to it.

I see what you're saying, but I think even with all other things being equal, there will still be such a thing as a "child who seems to grasp all concepts thrown at them with minimal studying...", which is what people mean by gifted, and as the responses in this thread indicate, that concept continues "...until they don't, at which point they crash because they don't know what to do". Unless like oh dear me you can coast all the way through uni, which seems to work, but a lot of people seem to hit a wall before then.

But I think our extremely narrow idea of intelligence, which gets praised in "gifted" children and lamented in the others, is the main problem, and shifting away from it would solve a lot of problems.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My son has a severe learning disability, the Bad kind that gets you higher/higher PIP and 24/7 care.

Please shut the gently caress up Wolfsbane, I’m used to it after 18 years imagine how awful it must be for someone with a younger newly diagnosed child to see LD in the same sentence as gifted children.

and chuffing no “being a callous dick on the internet ” is not part of the autism diagnostic criteria, if anyone wants to try and pull that poo poo on me.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Wolfsbane posted:

Obviously people have different innate abilities based on natural variation, but if you'd read past the first few words of my post you'd realise that's not at all what I was talking about. Sure, you will occasionally get absurdly intelligent children, you will get children who struggle, that needs to be taken into account. My point was that the reality of the spectrum of ability does not remotely map onto the hierarchical structure of sets imposed by schools, and plenty of very very promising working class kids are left to stagnate at the bottom of the pile while the mediocre but (relatively) privileged are able to rise to the top, where they are lauded as 'gifted' and Extremely Clever.

Taking issue with the way children are categorised into smart/dumb based on superficial garbage mostly related to memory tests, and the long term implications of that, isn't denying that some outlying kids have special needs, christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving framed picture of the queen what the gently caress

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

loving framed picture of the queen what the gently caress

If he hadn't hosed up the angle then the 7 foot poppy would be visible on the left.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
All the "gifted" kids at my state grammar school had frighteningly pushy parents, and the standards set by their success meant that there was utter devastation at even the slightest deviation from brilliance.

Always seemed pretty hosed up to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Figure they most suffer cause their parents and other people keep telling them they are gifted.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I was an idiot moron, a simple buffoon as a child at school, and in fact I still am now.

Harry Potter and

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Also, we're talking about small children, told by the all-knowing tall people who control their lives that they're special, in a way that sets them up to fail later. It's probably not the worst thing done by the education system (and can sound quite "woe is me, my huge brain is such a burden" if we're not careful), but it's definitely a thing.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 18, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm reminded of that reddit post where somebody convinced their kid that they were a Harry Potter style Chosen One and faked letters from Hogwarts and everything. Love to PsyOp my kid into a.life of mental problems and resentment

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Bobstar posted:

Unless like oh dear me you can coast all the way through uni, which seems to work, but a lot of people seem to hit a wall before then.

The thread may be pleased to know I got my comeuppance as soon as I entered employment and could no longer escape the nightmare of continuous assessment.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The Perfect Element posted:

All the "gifted" kids at my state grammar school had frighteningly pushy parents, and the standards set by their success meant that there was utter devastation at even the slightest deviation from brilliance.

Always seemed pretty hosed up to me.
Yeah imo the constant expectation that you're gonna massively outperform everyone/constantly being held to higher standards, in combination with never actually being nurtured/intellectually stimulated, is a good recipe for saying "gently caress it" & going right off the rails. Especially when you factor in that you're "different" to all the other kids/probably a bit weird anyway.

Very clever kids do need to be nurtured in a different way to keep them stimulated, but this usually translates into just being pushed harder & treated like you're "different" more generally, which imo is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm reminded of that reddit post where somebody convinced their kid that they were a Harry Potter style Chosen One and faked letters from Hogwarts and everything. Love to PsyOp my kid into a.life of mental problems and resentment

Yeah, I remember that, that was some real loving "call social services" energy. Nightmare parents.