Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Britt vs Rosa got me thinking, what are some other examples of fans doing a complete 180 in their perception of a wrestler in a relatively short amount of time?

The Rock is the obvious one, even if the WWE has oversimplified how it went down. I suppose this would be mostly modernish era, I doubt people in the 70's were thinking about stuff like work rate in the sense that fans today do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

thanks!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

LionYeti posted:

Is the Thunder Rosa v Britt Baker match the first time women have bled in a major us promotion? I don't think I've seen it before much if at all.

It's not even the first time Britt Baker has bled. In the AEW gym era, Shida busted her open in a match so bad they made a t-shirt of it. It's one of the things that got Britt so over this time last year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

Britt vs Rosa got me thinking, what are some other examples of fans doing a complete 180 in their perception of a wrestler in a relatively short amount of time?

The Rock is the obvious one, even if the WWE has oversimplified how it went down. I suppose this would be mostly modernish era, I doubt people in the 70's were thinking about stuff like work rate in the sense that fans today do.

Kazuchika Okada

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nigel mcguinness

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zombie Lemur posted:

The entire Dark Order.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Zombie Lemur posted:

Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther when he debuted in AEW: who the gently caress is this immobile bald lunatic? I hate this.
Japanese Deathmatch Legend Luther as part of Chaos Project on Dark: I love this immobile bald lunatic and his punished snake son.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zombie Lemur posted:

If you include from hearing about them to seeing them i think the best example currently is WALTER.

People hear about WALTER and they see this pasty doughy guy with an ugly face and being told he does nothing athletic and he only does chops, slams, sleepers, splashes and bombs. On paper i think everyone comes away with "what the gently caress is this hyped up".

Then you see him and 180 every time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

When they brought back Dusty Rhodes in '89, they gave him ALLLLL the jobs in his vignettes (Plumber, Gas Station Attendant, Pizza Delivery Guy)

This had a point, it was supposed to reflect that he was a blue collar guy

I think it might have been his idea, too

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Zombie Lemur posted:

There was a time in NXT where Eva Marie's whole deal was "I know I'm terrible in the ring, but I'm really trying now and Brian Kendrick is personally training me." Full Sail fans were very supportive towards this and seemed ready to give her some leeway. Then she was in a match where she forgot to kick out and the ref had to stop the count so she didn't lose. That moment killed all the good will she had accumulated.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's weird hearing emotional or kind moments from Vince. CM Punk said when he was quitting Vince had tears in his eyes. I'm not sure how much of a reliable narrator Punk is but if true that's really weird from a dude who thinks sneezing is to unmasculine.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The human brain is quite modular & people generally don't quite cohere into a logically consistent whole in my experience.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

edit: ehh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Royal Updog posted:

The human brain is quite modular & people generally don't quite cohere into a logically consistent whole in my experience.
It’s this. And Vince is more mercurial and unpredictable than most people are.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I vaguely recall someone having an anecdote about Fritz Von Erich, an absolute monster to his children, being randomly really nice to them & paying all their travel expenses. I alight The Bix Signal.

People are strange.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Notice the kindness of monsters is almost always an expression of power, usually monetary or emotional power.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Eat My Fuc posted:

Notice the kindness of monsters is almost always an expression of power, usually monetary or emotional power.

Eat My Fuc is quite wise.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's called capitalism, folks. You make a billion dollars exploiting people, then you throw a gala where you donate a million. Everyone worships you and talks about what a great person you are, and reaffirms their faith in the status quo. The purpose of philanthropy is always to benefit the philanthropist.

Vince McMahon is capable of generosity, but it's always at his whim and entirely on his own terms. The math is pretty simple: estimate how much money he's spent paying people's medical bills or giving them a job out of charity, then compare that to what a union would cost him.

Billy Graham was smart enough to work the system: he made it pretty clear that he was going to air dirty laundry until Vince bought him off. It worked.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 18, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It's weird hearing emotional or kind moments from Vince. CM Punk said when he was quitting Vince had tears in his eyes. I'm not sure how much of a reliable narrator Punk is but if true that's really weird from a dude who thinks sneezing is to unmasculine.

Does that track? I feel like Punk just up and left and never really saw anyone in person; he talked to Vince/HHH by phone, and was fired by Fedex, right?

After Punk quit/got fired, I feel like the story online was that Triple H was furious and wanted to sue him or what have you, while Vince wanted to keep the door open. I don't know what the real story there is.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

IIRC, Punk met with Vince/HHH after the Rumble before walking out. That was when one of their pitches to satisfy him is that he could get to face the Game-uh, at WrestleMania-uh

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

how many people have said that Vince or one of his subordinates claimed that they were just about to give them a big promotion or program or whatever when they quit, because it feels like all of them. Vince is a big manipulative baby incapable of subtlety so I would absolutely believe he'd look at Punk all teary eyed and tell him he'd have given him *two* Wrestlemania main events if only he'd stick it out a little longer

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Daniel Bryan the last person Triple H jobbed to at Wrestlemania? I know he beat Sting and Batista, I don't remember who else he's faced since then.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Red posted:

Does that track? I feel like Punk just up and left and never really saw anyone in person; he talked to Vince/HHH by phone, and was fired by Fedex, right?

After Punk quit/got fired, I feel like the story online was that Triple H was furious and wanted to sue him or what have you, while Vince wanted to keep the door open. I don't know what the real story there is.

In that podcast he did with Colt Cabana years ago he said he talked to Triple H and Vince after he got his concussion at the rumble and basically quit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was someone currently in AEW (I've forgotten who. It might have been Matt Sydal) who had that story about not being used in any shows for months on end. So finally he just doesn't show up for one, WWE calls and goes "Bro where are you, we totally had a big thing for you to do"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think it was Brodie

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

D.N. Nation posted:

IIRC, Punk met with Vince/HHH after the Rumble before walking out. That was when one of their pitches to satisfy him is that he could get to face the Game-uh, at WrestleMania-uh

Boy, that sounds enticing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Triple H told Brodie if he stayed with WWE they’d let him wrestle in NJPW which is such a boldfaced lie it’s honestly impressive in a horrible way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Daniel Bryan the last person Triple H jobbed to at Wrestlemania? I know he beat Sting and Batista, I don't remember who else he's faced since then.

30 - lost to Bryan
31 - beat Sting
32 - lost to Roman
33 - lost to Seth
34 - lost tag match after Rousey submitted Steph
35 - beat Batista

So jobbed to younger guys and got wins against part-timers. Surprisingly reasonable, tbh (Sting should have won).

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 18, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Huh, for some reason I thought it was more lopsided. And I have no idea which Wrestlemania is which anymore since Vince decided he hates numbers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Huh, for some reason I thought it was more lopsided. And I have no idea which Wrestlemania is which anymore since Vince decided he hates numbers.

He actually has a losing record at WM overall. He's 10-13.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He actually has a losing record at WM overall. He's 10-13.

I was about to say he shows up at WM each year for the payday, but ... did he actually skip last year?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Red posted:

I was about to say he shows up at WM each year for the payday, but ... did he actually skip last year?

there wasn't gonna be a payday?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I think it's more about feeling like a badass than the money.

Can't get that without the audience.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Smoking Crow posted:

you try to look at any Mexican wrestling from this period, you'll come across this lack of footage roadblock; I hope this is helpful to you at least

Haven't been on the forum in a bit so I missed your reply, just wanted to say thank you for all the information, it was def helpful

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Triple H at Mania. The ones in bold are the ones I think are bullshit.

12: Squashed by Warrior (I wouldn't say Hunter should've won, but he definitely shouldn't have been dominated by a malcontent who would soon leave the company anyway)
13: beat Goldust
14: retained Euro title against Owen (poor Owen, and that poor Euro belt)
15: lost to Kane by DQ but it was really more an angle for him to get back with Chyna who was turning face and then both later turned heel that same night on X-Pac (can you tell Russo booked this show)
16: retained WWE title in the 4 McMahons main event (Rock obviously should've won)
17: lost to Bikertaker
18: won WWE title over Jericho in the main event
19: racistly retained WHC over Booker T (No way should Hunter have retained, the way they set that story up, ugh)
20: tapped to Benoit, lost WHC in the main event
21: lost WHC to Batista in the main event
22: tapped to Cena (LOL) for the WWE title in the main event
23: injured
24: was going to win WWE title over Cena but Orton stole the pin and retained
25: beat Orton for the WWE title in the main event
26: beat Sheamus (like, why, it was in the middle of the card and you were setting Sheamus up as this new huge star)
27: lost to Undertaker
28: lost to Undertaker
29: beat Lesnar (reaaaal dumb in hindsight)
30: lost to DBry
31: beat Sting (congrats, Vince, you finally won the Monday Night Wars)
32: lost WWE title to Roman
33: lost to Seth
34: lost tag match to Ronda/Angle when Steph tapped
35: beat Batista
36: didn't perform

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

D.N. Nation posted:

12: Squashed by Warrior (I wouldn't say Hunter should've won, but he definitely shouldn't have been dominated by a malcontent who would soon leave the company anyway)
15: lost to Kane by DQ but it was really more an angle for him to get back with Chyna who was turning face and then both later turned heel that same night on X-Pac (can you tell Russo booked this show)
16: retained WWE title in the 4 McMahons main event (Rock obviously should've won)
19: racistly retained WHC over Booker T (No way should Hunter have retained, the way they set that story up, ugh)
26: beat Sheamus (like, why, it was in the middle of the card and you were setting Sheamus up as this new huge star)

The Lesnar match is one of HHH's smartest moves. It had no reason to exist other than for HHH to win the Mania match people would remember before losing the blow off no one would.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was at that show, the funniest part was the crowd having nothing left after Punk vs Undertaker and the utter silence for the match

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

The Sheamus one is even more bullshit when the entire feud was built around "you're a loser fuckface loser and you might as well change your ring name to Loser Idiot if you lose at WrestleMania."

And then Sheamus is like "oh we'll see about that," and loses clean.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't follow WWE regularly, but it seems like HHH has this recurring problem of not only beating more active wrestlers clean on PPV but also making GBS threads all over them in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Vagabundo posted:

The Sheamus one is even more bullshit when the entire feud was built around "you're a loser fuckface loser and you might as well change your ring name to Loser Idiot if you lose at WrestleMania."

And then Sheamus is like "oh we'll see about that," and loses clean.

Same with Jericho.