Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same thing happened with Star Wars and West End Games, the makers of the first Star Wars rpg. They re the ones that made up the names for a lot of the alien races in the movies like Rodians and Twi'leks. They re also the ones that made the Empire a human supremacist movement.

I mean, I don't think the whole human supremacist thing is much of a stretch, even just from the first film. The Empire are coded as Nazis, they have no aliens in their ranks, then the whole film ends with a WW2 dogfight sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They re also the ones that made the Empire a human supremacist movement.

I think you can say that they made the first explicit statement that the Empire was human supremacist, but you've seen the first three movies, right? With the 100% human Empire showing open disdain for non-humans ("where are you going with this...thing?")? With the all-white United States Empire strolling in and shooting up other people's homes in their endless quest for domination?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To be fair, it's not til return of the Jedi that the rebels have any notable non-humans on staff either, other than Chewbacca. The big throne room March at the end of the first film is all humans, everyone on echo base is human, etc.

Serf
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

To be fair, it's not til return of the Jedi that the rebels have any notable non-humans on staff either, other than Chewbacca. The big throne room March at the end of the first film is all humans, everyone on echo base is human, etc.

given what the throne room march is referencing, i suspect this was intentional

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Serf posted:

given what the throne room march is referencing, i suspect this was intentional

Care to enlighten the peasantry?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mr.Misfit posted:

Care to enlighten the peasantry?

Triumph of the Will (1935)

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Triumph of the Will (1935)

I struggle to think that's intentional because it's such an incongruous message to deliberately write. What does that even say? "Psych, the Rebellion were the real Nazis after all!"?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

LatwPIAT posted:

I struggle to think that's intentional because it's such an incongruous message to deliberately write. What does that even say? "Psych, the Rebellion were the real Nazis after all!"?

It’s more just film referencing film. Lucas was a film school graduate after all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ya know, most of that crowd was a matte painting, why didn't they add in some alien looking dudes? Or women....

Oh well, probably just didn't think about it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ya know, most of that crowd was a matte painting, why didn't they add in some alien looking dudes? Or women....

Oh well, probably just didn't think about it.

As of the first film non-Chewbacca aliens were still being used mostly to make a scene seem scary or dingy. Like you just don't see that many outside of the cantina and they're all in smoke filled rooms to be dealt with by seedy experts like Han and Obi-Wan, or to represent the natives in Lucas' favorite old cowboy movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i suspect that it is largely a visual reference, but given that the rebellion practices slavery and incorporates nobility, i reckon it could also be an early hint at their nature

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Using aliens to make something supposedly familiar (a bar, etc) seem, well, alien and unfamiliar is understandable if kinda shallow and insensitive to the made up aliens' theoretical feelings.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[harns]

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
So, I know that the forum is not a fan of Monte Cook, but I got to demo MCG's newest Kickstarter product, The Darkest House, a couple of weeks ago and came away really impressed.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/the-darkest-house/posts/3134429

This really felt like the "anti-boxed set" Kickstarter in that MCG is being realistic about where players are at right now during the pandemic and made a platform-agnostic digital tool for a reasonable price ($45 for a full product). Being a horror fan, I'm really looking forward to using it in my Invisible Sun game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I mean, it's reasonable by the standards of $200 blind-box Invisible Sun publisher MCG. I don't really agree that it's reasonable overall, and price is my biggest turnoff with that campaign. I don't know if I necessarily trust MCG for mechanics, either. YMMV, but Monte Cook's got a long pedigree in D&D and similar trad designs and while I'm a bit more into the Cypher system in Numenera et al, it's still too trad for me and sounds like it's got some real mechanical issues too.

All of that said, I'd take the plunge if it were a $20-25 buy-in for the complete package, if only to check out the atmosphere and concepts. At $75 for everything, it's a total nonstarter for me. And it's a pity, because I do like the digital-friendly platform-agnostic approach when so many publishers (Free League, Burning Wheel, etc) are still laser focused on a physical print product.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

malkav11 posted:

I mean, it's reasonable by the standards of $200 blind-box Invisible Sun publisher MCG. I don't really agree that it's reasonable overall, and price is my biggest turnoff with that campaign. I don't know if I necessarily trust MCG for mechanics, either. YMMV, but Monte Cook's got a long pedigree in D&D and similar trad designs and while I'm a bit more into the Cypher system in Numenera et al, it's still too trad for me and sounds like it's got some real mechanical issues too.

All of that said, I'd take the plunge if it were a $20-25 buy-in for the complete package, if only to check out the atmosphere and concepts. At $75 for everything, it's a total nonstarter for me. And it's a pity, because I do like the digital-friendly platform-agnostic approach when so many publishers (Free League, Burning Wheel, etc) are still laser focused on a physical print product.

Totally fair. I actually really liked the streamlining of the mechanics during the demo (i.e. having the "House" roll and succeed against you when you don't hit the target number and its die exceeds your highest). It felt more like a Storygame mechanic than a move back towards over-complex crunch. I totally agree on Numenera and Cypher system though. Funnily enough, I would love it if the Invisible Sun skill test mechanics replaced the Cypher System ones and if a lot of the fluff and extraneous systems were stripped out; IS benefits from having discrete life totals, no Edge mechanic, and a flexible character creation system. It has plenty of other problems, but those mechanics do feel like they could be a solid foundation for an improved Cypher System.

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 19, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Redundant posted:

Given the Brexit unknowns I think I am begrudgingly going to have to pass on a bunch of Kickstarters, including Root. Missing out on hirelings and fancy markers is a blow but I can always pick things up in retail later and not have to deal with shipping and a potential $20 tax for my countries poor choices.

I signed up for my first kickstarter a few weeks ago for Castles, a friend suggested that tax and shipping might add another £100 to the total cost but it seems to have been +£40 extra all-in. So if it's something you really want, if you have a few spare quid I'd say go for it and don't worry too much. If when my KS comes through in a year I end up paying even more though, I may feel rather foolish.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Love to advertise my upcoming Kickstarter by being super racist

https://twitter.com/3minboardgames/status/1373006791206793218?s=19

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Just got tiny epic pirates. Got to admit, I didn't expect the game to literally not fit into the box without an inch of lift.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

Just got tiny epic pirates. Got to admit, I didn't expect the game to literally not fit into the box without an inch of lift.

Yeah, it’s not brilliant. I’m wondering if I remove baggies if it will work.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

djfooboo posted:

Yeah, it’s not brilliant. I’m wondering if I remove baggies if it will work.

It's really weird since the one thing I want from a tiny epic game is an easy packaway

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My copy of Siege of the Citadel sits now at an old address, waiting for me to collect it and close that chapter of my life.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions about Robinson Crusoe? the setting and story sounds interesting enough

https://gamefound.com/projects/portalgames/robinson-crusoe-collectors-edition#/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm in the minority but I played the original and I'd call it a good desert island experience generator with some interesting mechanics sprinkled around in it, but hands down one of the worst rulebooks I have ever seen (maybe the new edition is better in that regard?)

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm in the minority but I played the original and I'd call it a good desert island experience generator with some interesting mechanics sprinkled around in it, but hands down one of the worst rulebooks I have ever seen (maybe the new edition is better in that regard?)

The creator's spiritual sequel, First Martians, was notoriously worse with their rule book too. :smith:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it's worth mentioning the semi-famous story of designer Ignacy not learning anything from Vlaada's advice was about Robinson Crusoe.

that said I might back it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Death Valley, a new $10 Buttonshy game is up. Looks fun!

This looks cool. That space game looks neat. Quoting for later!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions about Robinson Crusoe? the setting and story sounds interesting enough

It’s brutal and random cheese, but isn’t too bad a time with the right frame of mind.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

It sounds like it's a significant improvement, yeah. I don't own that edition, though, since my understanding is that little else has changed and I already bought in with the previous one. Certainly tempted to change that with the collector's edition, especially since there's new expansion content for the new edition. But if nothing else the 30 euro adventure book seems like a good investment for anyone who has the game and enjoys it.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

CODChimera posted:

Almost $200 before shipping killed it for me

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Looks like it might finally be time to abandon hope for getting my Ryuutama hardcopy (ordered in July 2019 as part of the Shinobigami kickstarter) or the digital Ryuutama supplement (originally backed in September 2014). Andy Kitkowski isn't even replying to emails anymore.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Foglet posted:

Looks like it might finally be time to abandon hope for getting my Ryuutama hardcopy (ordered in July 2019 as part of the Shinobigami kickstarter) or the digital Ryuutama supplement (originally backed in September 2014). Andy Kitkowski isn't even replying to emails anymore.

Lol. I abandoned hope on the Ryuutama stuff years ago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Foglet posted:

We are 1 year past when the supplement would finally be ready 'next week'.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Siege of the Citadel arrived this week. There's always hope

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Tarnop posted:

Siege of the Citadel arrived this week. There's always hope

Far West

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Anyone else remember the update when they said they were working on making an OGL equivalent for Ryuutama, so fans could make derived works compatible with Ryuutama and sell them online?

Or was that something I dreamed up entirely?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Sad to say (for my wallet), the third setting in Trinity Continuum, Adventure! has opened it's kickstarter.

I'm in for $50, but it made me 0_o to see an estimated delivery date of September 2023!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Every copy, including PDFs, was on the Ever Given and had to be thrown overboard to reduce weight.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
The Trinity: Adventure! Kickstarter is live (and indeed, back on kickstarter for folks wondering if Onyx Path was going to be doing more IndieGoGo.) Full disclosure, I worked on this, and I think there's some pretty cool stuff in it for anyone interested in 1930s pulp action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Foglet posted:

Lol yea, I ordered the limited hardbound Shinobigami and that thing might be real. In any case, it's probably the last KS I support for Andy.