Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

teh_Broseph posted:

More on shifting chat, I'm about 3k miles into a Mk7.5 GTI and feel OPs pain on having trouble - nailing that butter smooth as an automatic shift is still an enigma for me and whatever moves I try out are inconsistent. I can get a consistent smooth 1>2 shift from a red light by something like: Green light, ease off clutch while easing on gas, at about 2200rpm push in clutch pedal and shift, watch the Prius in front of me cruise away while I'm coasting at 15mph waiting for the tach to drop, moderate pace release clutch starting at ~1500rpm and gently ease gas pedal, everything settles now I can continue accelerating.

Shifting early is easier to be smooth but car speed is grandma paced, shifting where it feels natural from other cars around 3200 I can inconsistently get pretty smooth now but have to watch the tach like a hawk and the sensitive gas pedal still makes it tough to keep steady inertia (like avoiding jerks from suddenly speeding up or slowing down instead of jerks from the transmission clunking in), or get into high rev range and it's a little easier again but then have to deal with the weird pacing of basically revving out 1st gear then switching to 3rd to cruise to the next red light.

Someone asked about video of the rev hang I think? Found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmscbuNOwg&t=289s
Compared to an old Miata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmrzUAkeVI&t=113s

The Golf you can see the person is in the next gear before the tach moves, on the Miata soon as their hand is moving the shifter the tach is dropping. I blame that for most of my trouble; sometimes on a shift the needle will pause then steadily drop, sometimes hold then fall fast, sometimes immediately it'll fall fast, all depending on a few factors with 1st>2nd usually being the worst. I hear getting a tune they can delete the hang and I was planning on waiting for warranty to be out to do that, but gyah it's getting tempting to just go ahead with the APR+ hopefully-they-cover-any-warrany-issues tune and get 4 more years of better shifting and HPs out of the car.

Okay, so I'm seeing this around a lot an apparently its related to how the ECU treats throttle and people call it "Rev hang".
Seems like people are saying you can code it out with VCDS or OBDEleven:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/throttle-mod-direct-acceleration-tweak.8988673/

Take it with a grain of salt, of course. Another option people are suggesting is ensure you hit 3k + RPM before shifting and it doesn't hang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop

Blakkout posted:

They had some great colors around this time. I'm partial to the utopia blue myself, so I snagged my 2015 A4 in that scheme.

Another good color. I'm just glad I finally have a car that's not black or white. Trying to bring some color back onto the street before everyone is shuffled around in gray generic boxes.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

teh_Broseph posted:

More on shifting chat, I'm about 3k miles into a Mk7.5 GTI and feel OPs pain on having trouble - nailing that butter smooth as an automatic shift is still an enigma for me and whatever moves I try out are inconsistent. I can get a consistent smooth 1>2 shift from a red light by something like: Green light, ease off clutch while easing on gas, at about 2200rpm push in clutch pedal and shift, watch the Prius in front of me cruise away while I'm coasting at 15mph waiting for the tach to drop, moderate pace release clutch starting at ~1500rpm and gently ease gas pedal, everything settles now I can continue accelerating.

Shifting early is easier to be smooth but car speed is grandma paced, shifting where it feels natural from other cars around 3200 I can inconsistently get pretty smooth now but have to watch the tach like a hawk and the sensitive gas pedal still makes it tough to keep steady inertia (like avoiding jerks from suddenly speeding up or slowing down instead of jerks from the transmission clunking in), or get into high rev range and it's a little easier again but then have to deal with the weird pacing of basically revving out 1st gear then switching to 3rd to cruise to the next red light.

Someone asked about video of the rev hang I think? Found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmscbuNOwg&t=289s
Compared to an old Miata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgmrzUAkeVI&t=113s

The Golf you can see the person is in the next gear before the tach moves, on the Miata soon as their hand is moving the shifter the tach is dropping. I blame that for most of my trouble; sometimes on a shift the needle will pause then steadily drop, sometimes hold then fall fast, sometimes immediately it'll fall fast, all depending on a few factors with 1st>2nd usually being the worst. I hear getting a tune they can delete the hang and I was planning on waiting for warranty to be out to do that, but gyah it's getting tempting to just go ahead with the APR+ hopefully-they-cover-any-warrany-issues tune and get 4 more years of better shifting and HPs out of the car.

Yea, this screws me up a lot. Owned a mazda3 before my current GTI and was pretty good with easily matching between shifts. The GTI can be rather inconsistent as you point out, so sometimes it’s smooth, sometimes jolty.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Well guys I went and did it. I got a 2014 S4 DSG from Carvana. Only has 49k on it and feels newer than the 2016 Focus ST I traded in for it.

Took it up some twisties and really enjoying how direct and responsive the steering feel is compared to the ST. I haven't had it at the limit yet but it feels way less understeer prone. The odd thing is it looks and feels smaller and nimbler than the Focus despite being heavier. The seats are surprisingly comfortable for me as a big dude. Acceleration is great (haven't been bold enough to try launch control yet) and it looks like I lucked into a Sport Differential car. The DSG is....weird. I drove a manual for the last 15 years and have driven lots of automatics and it's weird to feel like the car is operating a clutch for me. It's definitely noticeably different than a traditional Automatic.Overall very happy with it so far and a friend pointed me at a reputable independent VAG shop nearby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MunchE fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 18, 2021

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

As I understand DSG is just a manual gearbox with grafted on automated shifting module. So if it feels like it's using a clutch for you, well it is...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It's two sets of gears (1, 3, 5 and 2, 4, 6) with two clutches, basically pre-engages the next gear and just switches which clutch is engaged to shift.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its a Manumatic: Manual Gearbox, with two separate shafts that can be shifted independently.

Make sure you get it flushed every 35k-40k miles and a new filter installed. And much like a Manual, the clutch packs (they are wet clutches) are wear items.

Its got two distinct clutch packs, allowing it to shift one while the other is engaged, then switch the clutch and shift the other gears on the other shaft.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MunchE posted:

Well guys I went and did it. I got a 2014 S4 DSG from Carvana. Only has 49k on it and feels newer than the 2016 Focus ST I traded in for it.

Took it up some twisties and really enjoying how direct and responsive the steering feel is compared to the ST. I haven't had it at the limit yet but it feels way less understeer prone. The odd thing is it looks and feels smaller and nimbler than the Focus despite being heavier. The seats are surprisingly comfortable for me as a big dude. Acceleration is great (haven't been bold enough to try launch control yet) and it looks like I lucked into a Sport Differential car. The DSG is....weird. I drove a manual for the last 15 years and have driven lots of automatics and it's weird to feel like the car is operating a clutch for me. It's definitely noticeably different than a traditional Automatic.Overall very happy with it so far and a friend pointed me at a reputable independent VAG shop nearby.

Is it going to get infected with a front plate? :ohdear:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

movax posted:

Is it going to get infected with a front plate? :ohdear:

Ran my last car without ever putting the front plate on, plan is the same here.

CommieGIR posted:

Its a Manumatic: Manual Gearbox, with two separate shafts that can be shifted independently.

Make sure you get it flushed every 35k-40k miles and a new filter installed. And much like a Manual, the clutch packs (they are wet clutches) are wear items.

Its got two distinct clutch packs, allowing it to shift one while the other is engaged, then switch the clutch and shift the other gears on the other shaft.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of having the local VAG shop give it a once over just in case while I'm still under Carvana warranty. I'll ask about this

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MunchE posted:

Ran my last car without ever putting the front plate on, plan is the same here.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of having the local VAG shop give it a once over just in case while I'm still under Carvana warranty. I'll ask about this

Absolutely do this. We were just talking about this a page or two back. All cars benefit from a keen eye and having all the required maintenance items done, Audis kind of demand it. I’d much rather you catch and fix a few things now then face much bigger repairs later.

Nice car, though. Probably pulls pretty hard and shifts pretty smooth with that DSG.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 20, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Well I have a buyer for my B8.5 S4! I'm using escrow.com for the first time ever hopefully I do not somehow become scammed!

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I might have missed it, but what are you getting next?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm trying to consolidate down to one car that "does it all" which will prolly end up being a BMW grancoupe or like a fancy Merc wagon. Sadly I don't have AMG or RS6 money tho :(

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

flightless greeb posted:

I'm trying to consolidate down to one car that "does it all" which will prolly end up being a BMW grancoupe or like a fancy Merc wagon. Sadly I don't have AMG or RS6 money tho :(

Get the MB wagon and throw a tune on it and you're basically there, unless you're planning to track the family station wagon. That's basically my eventual car goal

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah Audi kinda pricing itself in direct competition with Porsche with their Avant pricing, its kinda ridiculous.

I remember when they did the whole release video for the RS6 Avant and kinda laughed when I saw the $100k+ Plus pricetag. Audi keeps shifting itself further up market instead of being the mid-range sporting car selection that was supposed to fill the gap between VW and Porsche.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 20, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah it's especially annoying with Porsche having diversified into CUVs and wagons themselves so Audi isn't offering that much there either.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah it's especially annoying with Porsche having diversified into CUVs and wagons themselves so Audi isn't offering that much there either.

Yeah Audi kinda lost their way in the late 90s when they started shifting from nice simple AWD platforms to Luxury Sporting and left their market behind

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I think it has legit been close to ten years since I used to post in this forum but I just put a deposit down on a used Audi and wanted to see if you anyone here had tips/warnings/etc... It's a 2017 A4 Quattro with S-tronic, Progressiv :canada: with the S-Line and driver assistance packages and 89k km on it. I'm pretty stoked on getting it ideally next week, I'm coming from a 5 speed mk6 jetta with the 1.8t so it should be a pretty monumental difference in feel. Went used to side-step the initial depreciation and take advantage of surprising (0.98%) financing on used A4's.

Oh yeah, and it's scuba blue.

DoesNotCompute fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 21, 2021

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Nice. This is a good gen, before they broke up the tornado line running down the car and replaced the clickety MMI wheel with a touchscreen and piano black plastic.
Clean carfax?
Is CPO warranty available?
Worth it for the typical risk items with EA888 should they happen (water pump, upper chain tensioner, pcv, etc).

Ensure the first DSG service has been done already (likely, if this is a dealer serviced lease return). Due every 60k km.
Depending on how obsessive compulsive you are, you could do an intake carbon cleaning at 100k km.

B9 A4 is very good reliability wise, especially if you already have a VAG mindset.

edit: Also those wheels are win. If you find the ride a little busy, you can deflate the tires to "normal load" per the manual instead of the max load pressures listed on the doorjamb sticker.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 22, 2021

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

Nice. This is a good gen, before they broke up the tornado line running down the car and replaced the clickety MMI wheel with a touchscreen and piano black plastic.
Clean carfax?
Is CPO warranty available?
Worth it for the typical risk items with EA888 should they happen (water pump, upper chain tensioner, pcv, etc).

Ensure the first DSG service has been done already (likely, if this is a dealer serviced lease return). Due every 60k km.
Depending on how obsessive compulsive you are, you could do an intake carbon cleaning at 100k km.

B9 A4 is very good reliability wise, especially if you already have a VAG mindset.

edit: Also those wheels are win. If you find the ride a little busy, you can deflate the tires to "normal load" per the manual instead of the max load pressures listed on the doorjamb sticker.

Yep clean carfax, has 1 year 20k km CPO warranty, currently deciding whether it's worth $1550 CAD for a second year and extra 20k. I got them to send over the service invoice from when it went through the certification process and it was a $5k bill mostly comprised of front and rear rotors ($1600) and all new tires ($1400) among a bunch of little cosmetic things, bushings and the like. Last email going out tomorrow is to just get any other service history about it, since it's right on the edge of 90k km I'm going to see if I can at least get them to make sure the 90k service is done along with new plugs and all that. They're trying to sell me $1300 worth of audicare but I'm waiting to hear back on what those services include. Out of curiosity, how complicated is the DSG fluid change for once this thing is out of warranty? Assume I'm medium capable with a nice shop without a lift.

Also yeah the wheels are about 18% of the reason the guy at VW is getting a sad phone call about me not picking up a new GTI.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

5k worth of new bits is definitely a bonus. From what I've seen, CPO cars don't typically get that much put into them.
I would get the $1500 for an extra year of factory CPO warranty.

For Audi care- yea, it depends on exactly what that $1300 covers.

You could add the extra warranty and audicare into the finance, but see if they'll discount you the 0.98% rate on those items.

DSG service, lots of diy on youtube. You can do it on jackstands, but need some tooling.
I'm guessing you plan to keep it long term, so you could do it along with a carbon clean with your local VW/Audi independent shop.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

smooth jazz posted:

5k worth of new bits is definitely a bonus. From what I've seen, CPO cars don't typically get that much put into them.
I would get the $1500 for an extra year of factory CPO warranty.

For Audi care- yea, it depends on exactly what that $1300 covers.

You could add the extra warranty and audicare into the finance, but see if they'll discount you the 0.98% rate on those items.

DSG service, lots of diy on youtube. You can do it on jackstands, but need some tooling.
I'm guessing you plan to keep it long term, so you could do it along with a carbon clean with your local VW/Audi independent shop.

Yeah I used to work at a VW dealer so was surprised at how thorough they were on the CPO, they did control arm bushings, lower rear shock mounts, and a new battery too, so fairly thorough. (also love to see service departments still fleecing sales, an hour labour charged for the battery replacement.)

The biggest gripe I've got about the warranty and audicare is that I live on an island without an Audi dealer, so it's a $50 bridge toll, $30 of gas and an hour and a half commute each way to get anything done.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

It's important to have some kind of OBD2 tool to read the trans temp.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've had a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen for just shy of 5 years now, and it's been lovely. Yesterday, though, it started making a godawful racket when the engine is on, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0Jgef4_qA

Is this the dreaded timing chain tensioner? Or just the timing belt itself? I know I should have popped the hood for the video, but I had just stopped in a parking lot to check out the noise and really wanted to get home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's the gas engine, right?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, not the TDI.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Oof, yeah take that somewhere fast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Oof, yeah take tow that somewhere fast.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Pulled the trigger. Nothing has ever felt like this big of an upgrade.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

DoesNotCompute posted:

Shame. I guess you've never heard the phrase "Audi makes 'em rowdy.....but Jetta get's 'em wetta."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Styles Bitchley posted:

Shame. I guess you've never heard the phrase "Audi makes 'em rowdy.....but Jetta get's 'em wetta."

Passat makes em....ties knots? Bad thoughts? I dunno.

We replaced my spouses Volvo wagon with a Passat TDI.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

DoesNotCompute posted:

I went from a Focus ST to an S4 and whooo boy the quality jump was large

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Passat makes em....ties knots? Bad thoughts? I dunno.

We replaced my spouses Volvo wagon with a Passat TDI.

Passats make 'em hawt?

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

MunchE posted:

I went from a Focus ST to an S4 and whooo boy the quality jump was large

Same.

Tbh is preferred driving the ST for it's steering, but my wife hated the thing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

a foolish pianist posted:

I've had a 2014 Jetta Sportwagen for just shy of 5 years now, and it's been lovely. Yesterday, though, it started making a godawful racket when the engine is on, e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0Jgef4_qA

Is this the dreaded timing chain tensioner? Or just the timing belt itself? I know I should have popped the hood for the video, but I had just stopped in a parking lot to check out the noise and really wanted to get home.

So I got this looked at, and there was a bit of plastic, part of some housing near the fan, that was loose and dangling into the path of the fan, so it was nothing serious. Terrifying noise, but just 50 bucks for the mechanic to spend a half hour figuring out what the issue was and clip the thing back in place.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

a foolish pianist posted:

So I got this looked at, and there was a bit of plastic, part of some housing near the fan, that was loose and dangling into the path of the fan, so it was nothing serious. Terrifying noise, but just 50 bucks for the mechanic to spend a half hour figuring out what the issue was and clip the thing back in place.

Wow. Bullet status: Dodged.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That's hilarious, I had actually written out a post where I was like "hey you should check your aux fan basically the same thing happened to me on my E39" but then I kinda convinced myself that it was actually the serious problem and I didn't want to be the guy who told you to ignore a serious problem.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's hilarious, I had actually written out a post where I was like "hey you should check your aux fan basically the same thing happened to me on my E39" but then I kinda convinced myself that it was actually the serious problem and I didn't want to be the guy who told you to ignore a serious problem.

And I, as an experience BMW and VW owner, went straight to "catastrophic failure." I could blame the microphone for making the noise sound worse than it was, but I really just blame experience. :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Glad it was non-mechanical!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

meatpimp posted:

And I, as an experience BMW and VW owner, went straight to "catastrophic failure." I could blame the microphone for making the noise sound worse than it was, but I really just blame experience. :D

when it happened on the E39 it was very slight and made me think it was the VANOS unit going out, naturally

edit: never been happier to rip off the entire front end of the car to replace a stupid aux fan assembly