Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The theory I heard about the pigs is that there are floating point precision issues when respawning them when reloading an existing area, and that can cause their respawn location to clip to the other side of a narrow wooden fence. Replacing the wood fences with stone walls stopped the issue for me altogether, which definitely makes it seem accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tired: fenced-off pig enclosure
wired: HOG PITS

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Taffer posted:

The theory I heard about the pigs is that there are floating point precision issues when respawning them when reloading an existing area, and that can cause their respawn location to clip to the other side of a narrow wooden fence. Replacing the wood fences with stone walls stopped the issue for me altogether, which definitely makes it seem accurate.

Stone walls didn't really help me with the issue to the point where I gave up.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Scruffpuff posted:

I have a poltergeist in one of my houses. Every few days, a piece of the front roof will fall off. I'll put it back up. It's attached to a deep green piece which itself is attached to stone, it was fine for weeks. Now it likes falling. I put some (unnecessary) vertical supports under it just for fun.

Then the stone archway under the front door collapsed. These are blue pieces. I put them back up.

The falling pieces are adjacent to each other, and were up forever before these random collapses started. It's not mobs, because these pieces are on a house that is completely surrounded by 5 stone high outer walls. Nothing else has collapsed.

This only seems to happen if I'm manually walking to the base from an excursion, not if I teleport in or stay around. My working theory is that when I approach the perimeter of when the game starts to draw in my structures, the pieces are loading in an order that loads these pieces before the supporting pieces, and the calculation that has them fall occurs before the rest of the structure gets loaded.

If I'm right, I have zero idea what to do about it.

I have the same issue with 2 stone bricks in my big portal tower. Every few times I return to base they'll be gone with the stone sitting underneath. Thankfully it didn't cause a chain collapse.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

I think the prose edda has instructions for how to quiet a restless spirit if that's any help :v:

It's a lawsuit, right? Pretty sure when it comes to ghosts, legal mumbo jumbo is traditionally your best bet.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tired: fenced-off pig enclosure
wired: HOG PITS

Making a 1 tile wide trench also maximizes the space usage. Make the trenches 6 tiles apart and you can get 6 pigs in each one. Any closer and they won't breed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
look how loving far you can go with just iron wood

nothing between the two pillars of stone besides two pine trees . i bet it could have beeen done with just one

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 18, 2021

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Do you have to have the animals in an enclosure to breed them? I managed to two tame wolves. Can I just leave them out by the back yard with a pile of meat?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

Do you have to have the animals in an enclosure to breed them? I managed to two tame wolves. Can I just leave them out by the back yard with a pile of meat?

Here's my experience: we left two tame wolves and a pile of meat in town. They eventually bred into a pack of over 20 wolves, who then got so aggro'd they tore down the fortress walls to murder all the greydwarves and trolls outside. A few stayed back, but most of them ran off into the woods to rampage and upset the local ecosystem.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
When your beehives get too many

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I just found out the cultivator's "grass" mode restores dirty brown snow to pristine white, and I'm so happy. The fact that you can have fuckoff huge whiteout blizzards but it didn't cover up dirty snow was highly triggering!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Been playing on a server with another goon for essentially the entire game. Started a keep and made us some fancy chairs. Another goon joined so I had to add another chair.

I regret nothing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

No, but it helps. Tamed animals have a chance to breed when they are happy (read: not hungry or frightened), in close proximity to another happy animal of the same species, and not in the immediate vicinity of more than 5 other tamed animals, including themselves. (Immediate vicinity = a sphere of 6 tile spaces)

If you see for example 2 tamed wolves or boars and they are roaming around with no enclosure, you can throw food on the ground and they will generally come eat it. They will become Happy and if they don't wander off in different directions, they can breed. Having an enclosure just makes sure they don't wander off and the chance of breeding becomes effectively 100%

Here are a couple screens of my set up. It's great for keeping a huge stock of meat for when I need it. Usually I just get meat from hunting and this is just a backup, but I can get ~100 meat from culling these out in about 2 minutes.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 18, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The permadeath game world seem I'm playing on is so cursed that a bone mass spawn is much closer to the circle than the Elder.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What is "the circle"?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Floppychop posted:

What is "the circle"?

The rune circle you spawn at initially. It's usually very close to the center of the world

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did someone post a mod earlier that makes the terraforming not cause as many slow downs?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Have boar breeders not gotten set up in plains? I just rotate lox meat, lox pie (lox meat+barley+cloudberries from plains, way more plentiful than rapsberries) and bread (barley), with honey supplanting for bread most of the time. It's so much less effort than sausage and cookdd meat just doesn't cut it

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Have boar breeders not gotten set up in plains? I just rotate lox meat, lox pie (lox meat+barley+cloudberries from plains, way more plentiful than rapsberries) and bread (barley), with honey supplanting for bread most of the time. It's so much less effort than sausage and cookdd meat just doesn't cut it

Why not turnip stew? 50/50 stam/health and you can farm both turnips and meat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Farming turnips/carrots is way more busywork than flax/barley

Lemme check food values

Lox 70/40
Lox pie 80/80
Bread 40/70

Vs
Meat 40/30
Sausage 60/40
Turnip stew 50/50
So turnips are more balanced but take more effort, and it's just the same ingredients pumped up for the top 3. Lox are easy to hunt and drop 5 meat each so you can really stock up fast on them
Or if you have blood bags laying around, blood pudding is 90/50 which is even crazier, but I don't bother farming leeches outside of prepping for a boss fight. I did yagluth with blood pudding, serpent stew and lox pie and had insane amounts of health

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 18, 2021

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Once you get fully setup in the plains you have functionally infinite lox pie and bread. My current barley farm I plant 500 barley, so harvest time is 500 back in and 500 for bread/lox pies. I usually get two full stacks of each per harvest, which is only a couple game days.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fennesz posted:

Been playing on a server with another goon for essentially the entire game. Started a keep and made us some fancy chairs. Another goon joined so I had to add another chair.

I regret nothing.

You should bit the bullet and upgrade them to a chair, because that stool is costing you 1 comfort!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

place a chair up in the rafters, out of sight

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

place a chair up in the rafters, out of sight

Pretty sure the way those stack the stool supersedes the chair for some reason. Benches superseded my chairs for example.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Did someone post a mod earlier that makes the terraforming not cause as many slow downs?

There's this: https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/415

It basically checks over all the terrain-height-adjustment objects and applies them to a permanent heightmap that gets read instead of thousands of objects. I haven't tested it though, and it sounds like once you put this on a world you can't take it off without damage (not surprising) and it doesn't have multiplayer support yet. Hopefully it continues to get development though, sounds promising as a fix until IronGate puts something out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fennesz posted:

I regret nothing.

Welcome to the Council of Equals.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty sure the way those stack the stool supersedes the chair for some reason. Benches superseded my chairs for example.

Yeah, and a regular bed cancels out the fancy bed. It's real dumb.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
drat, just had my first death in a while, died against Bonemass. I could kind of tell about midway through the fight that I wasn't going to make it, then I got sloppy and missed blocking two of his swings (once while in a green cloud and couldn't see, then once while fighting adds).

I thought about running and healing up, how does that work on bosses? Would he have pretty much just stayed in his little altar area?

I ended up dumping my stamina swinging on him and got him to about 10% before I went down, then respawned and ran in, grabbed my corpse, equipped my mace, and finished him off while naked but protected by the corpse run buff.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I had a nice herd of respawning lox right outside my plains base, but deathsquitoes kept flying over and shanking me so I had to workshop-bomb the area.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

You should bit the bullet and upgrade them to a chair, because that stool is costing you 1 comfort!

That son of a bitch gotta earn his chair :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

drat, just had my first death in a while, died against Bonemass. I could kind of tell about midway through the fight that I wasn't going to make it, then I got sloppy and missed blocking two of his swings (once while in a green cloud and couldn't see, then once while fighting adds).

I thought about running and healing up, how does that work on bosses? Would he have pretty much just stayed in his little altar area?

I ended up dumping my stamina swinging on him and got him to about 10% before I went down, then respawned and ran in, grabbed my corpse, equipped my mace, and finished him off while naked but protected by the corpse run buff.

I fought him with another player and we tag teamed out into a crypt with a campfire inside to restore rested status. Not sure if that works solo, but it might. I believe he regenerates health, however, so you wouldn't want to hide for too long. The easier answer is to bring 10x medium healing and stamina meads with you into the fight (on top of your poison resist meads) and just use as necessary.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Floppychop posted:

I had a nice herd of respawning lox right outside my plains base, but deathsquitoes kept flying over and shanking me so I had to workshop-bomb the area.

Knife works great against both.

Woden
May 6, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

nothing between the two pillars of stone besides two pine trees . i bet it could have beeen done with just one

Really wish there were 26 and 45 degree iron beams, I want a giant roof without support struts everywhere.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

I fought him with another player and we tag teamed out into a crypt with a campfire inside to restore rested status. Not sure if that works solo, but it might. I believe he regenerates health, however, so you wouldn't want to hide for too long. The easier answer is to bring 10x medium healing and stamina meads with you into the fight (on top of your poison resist meads) and just use as necessary.

How long was your fight? I guess this also might have been the wrong strategy, but I just slugged it out with him face to face and it was under 3 minutes total. I popped my heal and stamina potions about a minute in, but they didn't refresh by the time I went down. The final corpse run assault was like 10-15 seconds.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
help

ive become trapped in a virtual metastasizing winchester mystery house concentrated self harm prison of my own creation

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I think this is why they make these so annoying cost/transport wise, it balances out how god mode they are for building.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Woden posted:

Really wish there were 26 and 45 degree iron beams, I want a giant roof without support struts everywhere.

Hell, even for core. My main use of core now is outside pieces to snap iron onto

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I wish the snapping system worked better. Or at least snap and tell me i cant place it there. Its a minor thing, but i would build more if it was improved. Now i just slap together some outpost shacks and move on.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Where are your tiny windows such that the light of your many hearths can provide a beacon in the darkness?

edit: wait, I think I see one. But yeah, definitely needs better lighting. Interpret that requirement in whatever manner is least convenient for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ZombieCrew posted:

I wish the snapping system worked better. Or at least snap and tell me i cant place it there. Its a minor thing, but i would build more if it was improved. Now i just slap together some outpost shacks and move on.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

doesn't snap and go red, but does let you just cycle through all valid spots