Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

petit choux posted:

Am I mistaken or This looks entirely salvageable:

Should be alright with a good clean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

petit choux posted:

Am I mistaken or This looks entirely salvageable:

Probably worth trying anyway, you could flip Daft Punk stuff for a decent price now

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

petit choux posted:

I went to an antique mall today to satisfy that itch since I was driving that way, wound up actually paying a whole 8$ for an album, which is a rarity for me.

Leisure Suit Herbie rules.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ballz posted:

Leisure Suit Herbie rules.

Get a load of those keyboards and synths too

I saw Herbie play. Unfortunately, lightning struck the coliseum during the show and everybody had to be evacuated. And one young woman in the audience was struck by lightning and survived. True story.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I, Butthole posted:

Probably worth trying anyway, you could flip Daft Punk stuff for a decent price now

Yeah, but also nice for a sampling library. I think I'll have to learn how to use that discwasher now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

petit choux posted:

Get a load of those keyboards and synths too

I saw Herbie play. Unfortunately, lightning struck the coliseum during the show and everybody had to be evacuated. And one young woman in the audience was struck by lightning and survived. True story.

If nothing else, that was a memorable show for all involved.

Sunlight's a great album, too. I picked up a copy a year or two back in my own thrift store find.

In what is definitely not a thrift store find, this should be arriving at my doorstep some time next month. I have about a dozen or so Herbie albums in my collection and yet I managed to only have one duplicate in this box set (Head Hunters) so it was a no-brainer to grab.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

“No means yes” is a song title that’s aged well

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Yeah, but also nice for a sampling library. I think I'll have to learn how to use that discwasher now.

How to use a Discwasher:

Step 1- Throw it in the garbage
Step 2- Buy a Spin Clean

Seriously though those things are awful and will just make it worse.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

How to use a Discwasher:

Step 1- Throw it in the garbage
Step 2- Buy a Spin Clean

Seriously though those things are awful and will just make it worse.

Haha good thing I was too lazy then. I was liking the look of that spin clean, offhand. Something that incorporates a vacuum sounds like a great idea.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Haha good thing I was too lazy then. I was liking the look of that spin clean, offhand. Something that incorporates a vacuum sounds like a great idea.

I got a vacuum machine less than a year ago and I can tell you that it was a great investment. I have a Record Doctor makes machines that are significantly cheaper than others because you have to rotate the record by hand instead of it having a motor. There are also kits people sell that attach to a shop vac. I believe those are called Squeaky Clean. That said, as someone who used a Spin Clean for many years it's the best choice if you don't want to/can't get something that uses a vacuum and it is very effective.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A record I bought on discogs rated VG+ is covered in scratches and the album sleeve has seam splits on all sides "repaired" with a generous dose of Scotch tape.

The seller claims to have been selling records for over 30 years. :cripes:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ballz posted:

A record I bought on discogs rated VG+ is covered in scratches and the album sleeve has seam splits on all sides "repaired" with a generous dose of Scotch tape.

The seller claims to have been selling records for over 30 years. :cripes:

A record I bought on Discogs rated VG, Ugly Casanova's Sharpen Your Teeth before the repress, was straight-up mint condition. I'd call it near mint because it wasn't in the original shrinkwrap, but it was absolutely pristine on every level.

It was bizarre.

Discogs is a weird place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

These things are probably the result of high volume sellers who just kind of give poo poo a glance before they send it out the door. I find that you're probably better off buying from people who don't have a lot of ratings because they will actually give a poo poo and may even take the time to play grade something. I made an offer to someone for that Black Mass LP for a little less than he had it listed. The offer was rejected but I still bought it anyway because it wasn't expensive I just wanted to haggle and get free shipping basically. Anyway the day after I sent the payment he messaged me to tell me there was a barely audible scuff on one track and asked if I still wanted the record and then shaved five bucks off the price. Meanwhile I've gotten frisbees listed as VG+ from "experienced sellers" on at least two occasions I can remember. Though in fairness to one of them he apologized and refunded a significant percentage of the cost.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CPL593H posted:

Near Mint is a straight up myth unless the the record has never even been touched or at least handled gently one time and never played.

What if I buy it straight from the record label?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

If it was delivered by UPS it’s VG+

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Schrodinger's NM.

BigFactory posted:

I always hear people poo poo talk USPS but I think it probably depends on where you live. I've never had a problem with USPS and stuff shows up quickly. But there have been a whole bunch of times UPS hosed up my poo poo. One time I got a thing with a torn open box that they threw in the bushes. UPS is also outrageously expensive. gently caress UPS.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Schrodinger's NM.

I always hear people poo poo talk USPS but I think it probably depends on where you live. I've never had a problem with USPS and stuff shows up quickly. But there have been a whole bunch of times UPS hosed up my poo poo. One time I got a thing with a torn open box that they threw in the bushes. UPS is also outrageously expensive. gently caress UPS.

I had a record delivered a couple weeks ago UPS, except the box was ripped open and empty. They do good work!

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

BigFactory posted:

had a record arrive recently that the record label had written “DO NOT SMASH” in giant letters on the box. surprised it made it in one piece honestly.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I havent really had these sort of issues with USPS. Maybe some light boxing around the edges and crimping, but it would need to be exceptionally mishandled for the stuff that comes in to get wrecked. Even some stuff that came in with no fillers or bubble wrap came in looking mint, but also at this point the postal workers know me at the office because i come in often enough with stuff im selling and my regular mailman always has to say something if I have a heavy delivery day with like 6 packages of records (or saying "no records lately eh?" if I havent ordered in awhile).

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I finally got around to making those shelf spacers. Just had some leftover wood from another project. So I cut it down and gave it a quick stain. I guess I should have used black screws but I'm not to worried about it as they are behind the records so they aren't really visible.

Before

Top row done

This also gave me a chance to start de-bagging my collection. I hate plastic outer sleeves and some of them were really old and nasty. I kept a few on some select records but for the most part gently caress em. I feel bad just throwing all that plastic away though. For the past few years I have just taken records out of the bag when I purchase them and tell the clerk to re use them.

Goddamn moving records around sucks.

Also...
Does the Third Man Vault give you a tracking number? Seems if you spend $65 on a record that is the least they could do. Apparently I had to re-verify my account when I went to check the status and it says shipping fulfilled but no other information.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I recently upgraded the stylus on my AT-LP120 to the AT-VM95ML. I know very little about needles but the folks on the Steve Hoffman forums think it's great, and they're the fussiest people on the goddamn planet. Anyway I *highly* recommend it - it's pretty much completely eliminated inner groove distortion, reduces the pops and clicks (they're still there, but they're quieter and less obtrusive). Plus, if you have the AT-LP120 you should already have a perfectly aligned cart, so you just pop it in, no need for wiring or protractors or anything like that.

The price ($149 for just the stylus, $169 if you want it with a cart) probably will put some people off but I think it's worth the investment. For one, you can spend way, way more on a stylus, and according to the people at SH the performance is on par with those 3-4x the price. For two, microlines can play 800-1000 hours before needing a replacement, compared to about 300-400 for conical or elliptical. For three, they have a smaller footprint so they're putting less wear on your records. I can't see myself ever going back...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

These things are probably the result of high volume sellers who just kind of give poo poo a glance before they send it out the door. I find that you're probably better off buying from people who don't have a lot of ratings because they will actually give a poo poo and may even take the time to play grade something. I made an offer to someone for that Black Mass LP for a little less than he had it listed. The offer was rejected but I still bought it anyway because it wasn't expensive I just wanted to haggle and get free shipping basically. Anyway the day after I sent the payment he messaged me to tell me there was a barely audible scuff on one track and asked if I still wanted the record and then shaved five bucks off the price. Meanwhile I've gotten frisbees listed as VG+ from "experienced sellers" on at least two occasions I can remember. Though in fairness to one of them he apologized and refunded a significant percentage of the cost.

The seller got back to me and the entirety of their message was" "ship it back for full refund"

I'm tempted of just doing this:

https://twitter.com/rfcrecords/status/1353738197742866432

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was just considering replacing my stylus, as it's been longer than I can remember at this point since I have done

only to find out that my cartridge is discontinued and the cheapest I can find a stylus for it is $$$

I really oughta upgrade my whole turntable situation tbh but goddamn, the expense.

e: more like high $$, my search results were turning up cartridge + stylus initially but still

ee: quoting for future consideration

JAMOOOL posted:

I recently upgraded the stylus on my AT-LP120 to the AT-VM95ML. I know very little about needles but the folks on the Steve Hoffman forums think it's great, and they're the fussiest people on the goddamn planet. Anyway I *highly* recommend it - it's pretty much completely eliminated inner groove distortion, reduces the pops and clicks (they're still there, but they're quieter and less obtrusive). Plus, if you have the AT-LP120 you should already have a perfectly aligned cart, so you just pop it in, no need for wiring or protractors or anything like that.

The price ($149 for just the stylus, $169 if you want it with a cart) probably will put some people off but I think it's worth the investment. For one, you can spend way, way more on a stylus, and according to the people at SH the performance is on par with those 3-4x the price. For two, microlines can play 800-1000 hours before needing a replacement, compared to about 300-400 for conical or elliptical. For three, they have a smaller footprint so they're putting less wear on your records. I can't see myself ever going back...

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 19, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

I finally got around to making those shelf spacers. Just had some leftover wood from another project. So I cut it down and gave it a quick stain. I guess I should have used black screws but I'm not to worried about it as they are behind the records so they aren't really visible.

Before

Top row done

This also gave me a chance to start de-bagging my collection. I hate plastic outer sleeves and some of them were really old and nasty. I kept a few on some select records but for the most part gently caress em. I feel bad just throwing all that plastic away though. For the past few years I have just taken records out of the bag when I purchase them and tell the clerk to re use them.

Goddamn moving records around sucks.

Also...
Does the Third Man Vault give you a tracking number? Seems if you spend $65 on a record that is the least they could do. Apparently I had to re-verify my account when I went to check the status and it says shipping fulfilled but no other information.

Finally I have confirmed that some of those are doubles.

ANYWAY

Third Man gives you a tracking number for the Vault packages when they start shipping. The Vault customer service is pretty good so if you shoot them an email about it they'll get back to you pretty quickly. Oh and with the bags from LPs I just put them in the bag recycling thing at the grocery store.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Finally I have confirmed that some of those are doubles.

ANYWAY

Third Man gives you a tracking number for the Vault packages when they start shipping. The Vault customer service is pretty good so if you shoot them an email about it they'll get back to you pretty quickly. Oh and with the bags from LPs I just put them in the bag recycling thing at the grocery store.

Haha. Yeah I have a few doubles. Not too many though. I did take the records outta the box sets and put the boxes in storage too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Haha. Yeah I have a few doubles. Not too many though. I did take the records outta the box sets and put the boxes in storage too.

Your own collection is judging you for this cowardice.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

So there are some European companies that aren't held to the same copyright laws or whatever, and they reprint some jazz records, and they are apparently not good, for whatever reason. See here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/68fix0/its_international_jazz_day_dont_get_waxed/

So, I'm trying to find a decent listing of Kind of Blue by Miles Davis on eBay, and everything seems to be made by one of those companies. It's crazy. What should I be looking for? I've found tons of other used dusty stinky old records and they've played fine on my LP60, so I guess that's kind of what I want. Although a clear blue vinyl record would be kinda cool.. apparently it's no good.

It's safe to say that this isn't a record that should be difficult to find an old copy of.

I'm new to all this, but I just want to listen to this album. Help!

Chinook fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 20, 2021

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd say give discogs a go if ebay is where you're already working - at least there sales are divided up by pressing - though unfortunately there are a billion pressings of this particular record and people arguing the merits and demerits of each in the comments

but you can at least filter by label and decade and such (get a post-90s pressing: the tape was running at the wrong speed up until then)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Couple of Fripp pickups this week: League of Gentlemen, which is great, and an Andy Summers/Fripp collab which I haven’t heard but was fairly cheap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Couple of Fripp pickups this week: League of Gentlemen, which is great, and an Andy Summers/Fripp collab which I haven’t heard but was fairly cheap.

Do his solo albums sound more like the stuff he did with Bowie and Eno and less like King Crimson?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Do his solo albums sound more like the stuff he did with Bowie and Eno and less like King Crimson?

Some of them do for sure, although I probably like the Fripp and Eno stuff better than him solo making ambient music. League of Gentlemen is kinda proggy dance music with the keyboard player from XTC and a bass player from Gang of Four. It’s worth checking out. It sounds a little like 80s King Crimson but sounds nothing like Court of The Crimson King or anything like that.

The stuff he did with Darryl Hall was amazing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuyKBRnUAiY

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 20, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
lmaos on the cbs this morning........ saturday show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoN4mleFlvA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

lmaos on the cbs this morning........ saturday show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoN4mleFlvA

What is it about this hobby that makes it a lightning rod for dipshits and assholes?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
gently caress, I'm 6'3" so do I need bigger speakers to make sound waves my size? And I guess only F# will be optimized for me?

pwn
May 27, 2004

There’s a bit in that piece that was on the air this morning but cut from the YT clip where the dude plays Billy Jean for the host.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Got my Black Mass today but y'all know what the record looks like.

get you a good seller what gives you some art!

edit: seller is In Dust We Trust

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 21, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Got my Black Mass today but y'all know what the record looks like.

get you a good seller what gives you some art!

edit: seller is In Dust We Trust

I love when sellers draw stuff on the box.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Here's that VG+ record sold to me on Discogs:

I knew I was in trouble when I opened the box and the first thing that greeted me was this letter:

Actually I take it back, I knew I was in trouble when I saw the records were mailed in this (which is the same packaging they want me to return it in):

They didn't draw anything cool on it like that other poster showed off, but they did also tape this on the back of it, I guess as "added protection." No idea if they want this returned with the record too:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ballz posted:

Here's that VG+ record sold to me on Discogs:

I knew I was in trouble when I opened the box and the first thing that greeted me was this letter:

Actually I take it back, I knew I was in trouble when I saw the records were mailed in this (which is the same packaging they want me to return it in):

They didn't draw anything cool on it like that other poster showed off, but they did also tape this on the back of it, I guess as "added protection." No idea if they want this returned with the record too:

Hee haw! Putting that on the back really seals the deal for me. A pox on lovely home-made mailers. With the same cardboard they could have done such a better job. Much less they could have just bought some loving record mailers. Nice record though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Some of them do for sure, although I probably like the Fripp and Eno stuff better than him solo making ambient music. League of Gentlemen is kinda proggy dance music with the keyboard player from XTC and a bass player from Gang of Four. It’s worth checking out. It sounds a little like 80s King Crimson but sounds nothing like Court of The Crimson King or anything like that.

The stuff he did with Darryl Hall was amazing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuyKBRnUAiY

OMFG with Daryll Hall no less. And I guess it was the original bassist, who was replaced by Sarah Lee IIRC. Or was it Sarah?