Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If Breath of Fire was a dating sim it would be called Dragon Courter. Well, seeya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Dragon Quarter is a fascinating game I did not really enjoy and I never, ever want to play again. So a SaGa, basically.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Dragon Quarter is a fascinating game I did not really enjoy and I never, ever want to play again. So a SaGa, basically.

Same, except it completely hooked a roommate of mine who obssessively ground out the highest D Counter to get all the cutscenes so I got to see everything. Same way I watched Persona 3.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My only issue with Dragon Quarter was that your sprint button consumed D-meter which was just annoying.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
One thing I liked about BoF as a whole is that even if the middle of each game could be tedious in various ways (except 1 which is just a real brisk game outside that one lovely time tower) the final parts of each story tended to finish fairly strongly.

Also Dragon Quarter rules and I love the compact story of just loving up everyone to save one single person.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

My only issue with Dragon Quarter was that your sprint button consumed D-meter which was just annoying.

Note that the other game to aggressively gently caress you up for daring to sprint was called Dragon Song. Coincidence? i think so!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

Note that the other game to aggressively gently caress you up for daring to sprint was called Dragon Song. Coincidence? i think so!

I watched a speedrun of Lunar DS and it just looked absolutely dire

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon song owns entirely for the final boss' second form being you throwing the sword of your dead party member at him, and then him pulling it out and using it to hit you with a party-wide attack

there's no way they didn't know how loving funny that was

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

Dragon Quarter's save system is something I can absolutely understand someone hating. I managed to handle it well enough but I could see someone getting frustrated with it and the whole "SOS Restart" system as well.
I really liked Dragon Quarter's dragon transformation system. More than any other game in the series, it really sells the power and danger of dragons, and I think it's an interesting design aspect to have what's functionally an "I Win" button built into your character that's also attached to a ticking time bomb.

In retrospect DQ's save systems sucked rear end, but at the time I thought they were cool because I figured out where to abuse the system for massive party XP

Agreed on D-Dive though, doing potentially thousands of damage when enemies had a few dozen health tickled a lot of happy spots in my brain

I still remember the game-over cutscene for blowing out the d counter, too
(e)

Infinity Gaia posted:

you could stretch it out without losing much speed getting into a rhythm tapping but yeah that stunk

A modern take on some of the ideas DQ had would be real interesting to see

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I think Lunar Dragon Song was the one of the first games I remember playing as a kid and thinking "this is horrible".

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
one of these days i will actually finish dragon quarter. I was really impressed by how distinct its gameplay and aesthetics were. an extremely cool vibe

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the sprint wasn't so much about speed as it was a tool to skip fights. using it that way barely tickled the d gauge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

I think Lunar Dragon Song was the one of the first games I remember playing as a kid and thinking "this is horrible".

I played it because I loved Lunar 1 and 2 and boy howdy was that a mistake.

I cant name a single design decision where they deviated from how other JRPGs do things that wasn't strictly worse.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
running tactics ogre at 300% speed I am a god and I cannot be stopped

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Cephas posted:

one of these days i will actually finish dragon quarter. I was really impressed by how distinct its gameplay and aesthetics were. an extremely cool vibe

I think one of the most important things to keep in mind while playing Dragon Quarter is that the game will never heal you automatically, ever, and there are no inns or tents or anything, so it's impossible to waste healing items as long as you're not overhealing. It also takes no turns to heal. So your item stockpile is literally equivalent to your HP. Heal up after every enemy action, why not?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Has anyone played the Nocturne Remaster yet? It's coming out in English on May 25th and was wondering how it was compared to the original.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i've heard that it sucks. not sure in what way but people arent very impressed.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc lots of slowdown during particle effects and they didnt bother touching the compressed to hell audio like the battle themes

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011
Got that rpg itch on the switch, dragons dogma or kingdoms of amalur?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still slowly playing my way through FFT:WotL, just got through the Orbonne Monastery gauntlet, and man, I don't know if any JRPG protagonist has hosed up this badly since maybe Tales of the Abyss?

Ramza is in possession of multiple world-ending mcguffin gems, takes them with him to a place where he knows the bad guys are in force, and gets worried about what'll happen to his gems if he gets a Game Over, so he gives them to his level-4 sister whose only in-engine combat experience has been getting killed by an Inquisitor and tells her to hide, then I do three really hard fights and my only reward is that, surprise surprise, they kidnapped Alma and took the gems. Way to go, Ramza!

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 19, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shadski posted:

Dragon's Dogma is absolutely the better of the two there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kild posted:

Has anyone played the Nocturne Remaster yet? It's coming out in English on May 25th and was wondering how it was compared to the original.

I haven’t played the original but I have the remaster on Switch and as a straight port, it feels fine to me, but apparently it feels weird if you have strong memories of the original.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shadski posted:

DD, Amalur is the most boring generic game imaginable

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dragon's Dogma absolutely rocks

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Amalur is the most boring generic game imaginable
i keep seeing people who love it and were genuinely excited to replay it with the remaster and i really do not get it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Kingdom of Amalur the game that was funded by the taxpayers of Rhode Island?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can you soil your socks in this Amalur game? Can you convince the dwarf clan into making a hair-brained financial investment?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Kingdom of Amalur the game that was funded by the taxpayers of Rhode Island?

Not really, it was a separate game that was bought and reskinned into a tie in to the Rhode island funded MMO because that was taking too long to make.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I hope Curt Schilling doesn't see one dime from the remaster

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

I haven't personally played it, but from what I've seen/heard of it, it launched with some pretty bad performance issues, which they improved but did not entirely make better than the PS2 version. They didn't unfuck the audio compression, and as far as I know, they didn't fix an issue where the incoming encounter tracker goes to red much later.

The big thing going for it over the PS2 is that it includes Raidou, who never came out outside of Japan, as well as featuringdantefromdevilmaycry, and added selectable skill inheritance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
amalur is a game a ton of talented people worked on who wanted to do weird and interesting stuff with it and then every time they came up with an interesting idea curt schilling would walk in and say "whats this. this isnt orcs. i want orcs. give me the orcs. where are the elves"

dragon's dogma is an action rpg where you can make your love interest a weird short fat jester with a moustache

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

The Colonel posted:

amalur is a game a ton of talented people worked on who wanted to do weird and interesting stuff with it and then every time they came up with an interesting idea curt schilling would walk in and say "whats this. this isnt orcs. i want orcs. give me the orcs. where are the elves"

dragon's dogma is an action rpg where you can make your love interest a weird short fat jester with a moustache

Yeah, I didn't get very far in Amalur, but what I did felt largely like a bunch of potentially neat ideas ground into bland paste.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I hope Curt Schilling doesn't see one dime from the remaster

He doesn't. But the 8chan lovers at THQ Nordic do.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was mostly the presentation for me, when every single conversation is an MMO checklist of things to say time to start mashing skip.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

There's no good reason to play Amalur. It was fine but it does nothing special and nothing that hasn't been done better elsewhere. Hell at it's original release it did nothing that hadn't already been done better.

Dragons Dogma is a weird insane gem of a game that I fully believe everyone should play. There's nothing else like it and if it clicks it's still kind of mindblowing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

loquacius posted:

Still slowly playing my way through FFT:WotL, just got through the Orbonne Monastery gauntlet, and man, I don't know if any JRPG protagonist has hosed up this badly since maybe Tales of the Abyss?

Ramza is in possession of multiple world-ending mcguffin gems, takes them with him to a place where he knows the bad guys are in force, and gets worried about what'll happen to his gems if he gets a Game Over, so he gives them to his level-4 sister whose only in-engine combat experience has been getting killed by an Inquisitor and tells her to hide, then I do three really hard fights and my only reward is that, surprise surprise, they kidnapped Alma and took the gems. Way to go, Ramza!

Doesn't the main character from Star Ocean 4 blow up alternate dimension earth? That seems like a pretty big fuckup to me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arzaac posted:

Doesn't the main character from Star Ocean 4 blow up alternate dimension earth? That seems like a pretty big fuckup to me.

That hinges on the chance somebody would want to play Star Ocean 4.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Yes and the "best" part about that is that when he's rightfully sad about it, the rest of the party treats it like no big deal and gives him crap for it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Look, once you know that alternate universes exist you’ve got to blow them up or risk having them blow you up. That is just anime quantum mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Star Ocean 4 is the best Star Ocean. This is partly due to how incessantly stupid it is.